Menu

I hate MLMs

Mrs Tiggywinkle Again

Well. I do like some of Scentsy’s warmers.

I have zero mom friends and was so excited to meet other area homeschool moms, so I jumped at the opportunity to go to a weekly meet up one Mom organized.

Then it turned out I couldn’t go because of my work schedule, but I stayed in the Facebook group so I could attend if I can ever go part time at work. I was so excited to see the message the organizer Mom sent and I was hoping she maybe wanted to meet for coffee or become friends….

She just wanted to sell me Arbonne and encouraged me to consider selling myself so I could have more flexibility and time at home.

Because Arbonne will definitely replace my almost six figure a year earnings.

Back to the friend drawing board.  But it seems that the majority of homeschool moms in my area sell for an MLM and just want to talk about the products. They stop talking to you and being friendly once you’re clear that you don’t buy from MLMs.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 31

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Well. I do like some of Scentsy’s warmers.

I have zero mom friends and was so excited to meet other area homeschool moms, so I jumped at the opportunity to go to a weekly meet up one Mom organized.

Then it turned out I couldn’t go because of my work schedule, but I stayed in the Facebook group so I could attend if I can ever go part time at work. I was so excited to see the message the organizer Mom sent and I was hoping she maybe wanted to meet for coffee or become friends….

She just wanted to sell me Arbonne and encouraged me to consider selling myself so I could have more flexibility and time at home.

Because Arbonne will definitely replace my almost six figure a year earnings.

Back to the friend drawing board.  But it seems that the majority of homeschool moms in my area sell for an MLM and just want to talk about the products. They stop talking to you and being friendly once you’re clear that you don’t buy from MLMs.

You make nearly $100K as an EMT in rural NY? 

$100K would be $48/hr straight time.

That’s good money!

12 minutes ago, pinball said:

You make nearly $100K as an EMT in rural NY? 

$100K would be $48/hr straight time.

That’s good money!

We work more than 40 hours and as a critical care paramedic I make way above EMT wage, plus I rack up bonuses for coming in on a day off and taking critical care long distance transports. Due to competition (almost) every company locally has been raising wages dramatically the last three years, especially if you have specialty certifications and over ten years of experience.  As a supervisor with critical care certifications and over a decade of experience my husband makes well over six figures.

I think our EMTs right out of school are at $59,000 but that’s at 57 hours a week. I don’t work that much anymore. I made $9.00 an hour right out of EMT school and $12 as a brand new paramedic back in 2008.  It’s changed a lot.

But Arbonne will not be a good replacement lol. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 9

Did you tell her your "hourly" rate? That's how I get all the be my downstream MLM conversations to stop, I tell them what people are willing to pay me for my skills by the hour. Like either break up your annual salary divided by the 40 hour/week model or what you would charge per hour if you were a contractor. 

I feel like the MLM's have packaged speeches on how you could make $100k+ per year with their MLM but it's always "you just have to work harder or more hours" to get that money. So, with an hourly rate they have a harder time to match, because then there is a this is how "hard" I have to work to make that in real life, and because of the predatory practices they have a hard time matching that.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Did you tell her your "hourly" rate? That's how I get all the be my downstream MLM conversations to stop, I tell them what people are willing to pay me for my skills by the hour. Like either break up your annual salary divided by the 40 hour/week model or what you would charge per hour if you were a contractor. 

I feel like the MLM's have packaged speeches on how you could make $100k+ per year with their MLM but it's always "you just have to work harder or more hours" to get that money. So, with an hourly rate they have a harder time to match, because then there is a this is how "hard" I have to work to make that in real life, and because of the predatory practices they have a hard time matching that.

I have a small side consulting business and I get paid $60/hour for that or for speaking at places. Haha.  But I don’t do much with it so it doesn’t amount to much.

I don’t tell people my hourly rate because I’m always saying I can’t afford things when it’s probably more like I choose not to afford things.  We are subsidizing part(a lot) of the rent for a young couple with a baby who live in our old house.  We aren’t charging them fully what the house costs a month because they wouldn’t be able to afford it.  They work hard as a special education teacher in a dirt poor district that pays very little  and medical transport driver that’s barely above minimum wage, and they’d be couch surfing with the baby if we didn’t help out a bit as landlords. Air BnBs/short term tourist rentals in our old town have really priced out locals when it comes to renting or home buying. But that just isn’t a part of my life that I tell everyone IRL so I stick with I can’t afford things lol.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I just wish people were honest. Instead of friend requesting and pretending to be interested in getting to know someone just say hey, can I tell you about X? And then stop talking about it when I said no.

The mom messaged me again today to see if our youngest kids can get together as her child needs more homeschooled friends. Sigh.

Our family went through a very difficult time with one of our kids. We live in a very small town and pretty much every one knew about it. I was messaged out of the blue by someone I knew but hadn’t seen or talked to in a couple of years. Her supplements could help  me with and depression and anxiety as we went through this trial.

I said yes and became a boss babe. 

Just kidding. I felt violated and preyed upon. Gross.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I agree with you.

I kinda feel sorry for people who feel the need to jack up potential friendships that way.  It could limit their opportunities for emotionally rewarding friendships.

Personally, when someone MLMs me, I just pretend I didn't see whatever it was.  If I find it's too high a % of their SM content, I unfollow.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 12:13 AM, AbcdeDooDah said:

Our family went through a very difficult time with one of our kids. We live in a very small town and pretty much every one knew about it. I was messaged out of the blue by someone I knew but hadn’t seen or talked to in a couple of years. Her supplements could help  me with and depression and anxiety as we went through this trial.

I said yes and became a boss babe. 

Just kidding. I felt violated and preyed upon. Gross.

That's just it --- I feel like the MLM training is predatory. I had a former BFF (godmother to two of my sons!) who flipped her gourd with MLM stuff. (Nerium) We would be having the most innocuous conversations and she would insert Nerium into everything. 
Hey, your college daughter would be GREAT with Nerium! (a college daughter who was working nights, going to school, and had zero money)
Oh my gosh, selling Nerium would be a wonderful lesson in entrepreneurship in your homeschool. 

HELL NO. I finally stopped talking to her altogether. 

I'm sorry that this gal swooped in at a time when you were hurting and vulnerable. 😞

• Like 2