Menu

Well-Trained Wallets - Week 3 of 5

EmilyGF

Welcome, well-trained walleteers!

We're just over halfway through the month. How are things going with your financial goals? Have you had any insights or wins?

I'm excited that my credit card bill closes in two days and I am on track to getting it back under control. I've been doing pretty well about not using it except for gas, but I did use it at the grocery store when I accidentally checked out at a card-only self-checkout.

I've told my kids, who of course have requests, to keep a list and let me know in February. Hopefully that'll give them a chance to price compare.

Unfortunately, I may have to call in the appliance repair company, as I don't do electrical connections and the repair on my stove involves connecting wires. I'll ask hubby when he gets home what he thinks.

Emily

• Like 4

1/15-  nothing

1/16-  65 I took DD to the mall as she needs to get out of the house.  We walked the mall for exercise and then ate lunch there at the food court.  Lunch was 36. Then we stopped in the body shop for their sale that ends today.  Some great deals for stuff we use and are getting low on.  We buy only during their sales and the last time was last January.  Great face wash for teens with acne.   I know some will not get that I find this an appropriate expense when trying to save but we need to do things for our mental health too.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

1/15-  nothing

1/16-  65 I took DD to the mall as she needs to get out of the house.  We walked the mall for exercise and then ate lunch there at the food court.  Lunch was 36. Then we stopped in the body shop for their sale that ends today.  Some great deals for stuff we use and are getting low on.  We buy only during their sales and the last time was last January.  Great face wash for teens with acne.   I know some will not get that I find this an appropriate expense when trying to save but we need to do things for our mental health too.  

I think appropriate expenses depend on the season and the need. Hope you and your DD had a good time together.

Emily

• Like 6

We are on the way home from Memphis. It was going well financially - cheaper than last year - but then we hit a rather large snag. We signed Dd12 up for athlete development since Ds16 and Dh had to be there anyhow. She liked it. When I was clarifying whether or not Dh wanted to go to the training camp this summer, she calmly announced that she wanted to attend. I'm not going to send Ds16 and not her, so I signed her up. That was a chunk of change I wasn't planning on this year.

Then today at team training, the coaches mentioned wanting to take teams to South America, South Africa, Europe, and Canada. Not every team to every location, but I don't know what that will look like for our family. I was definitely not planning on multiple international competitions. I cannot save that much money. Everyone in the family is resistant to me getting a job, but at some point we're just going to need more income if costs rise exponentially.

@mommyoffive I talked to Dh and he is willing to change how we pay for things if it will make some of the rest of this easier to manage. What should we know about travel hacking?

• Like 6

Sunday was spendy. Gas in one car. Lunch out after church, then dinner out after a church event with friends. $100 day easily.

$0 today. 

We got our Every Plate box in for dinners this week. Still working on eating down the pantry and freezer otherwise. Getting super low on fruit and breads. 

As for my goals, I did finish the 2 week period with $38 off groceries for the time frame. I was aiming for $100 off in the month but $80 is probably more realistic and I will be happy to reach that. I have not purchased any clothing for the kids. 

• Like 6

Plot twist: our vehicle started shaking and the check engine light is on. We get to add one hotel stay plus a mechanic visit to our trip bill. Definitely not cheaper than last year. I'm mentally dropping the Chicago tournament from our spring schedule. The kids won't need the points, so it would be for the experience.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Meriwether said:

We are on the way home from Memphis. It was going well financially - cheaper than last year - but then we hit a rather large snag. We signed Dd12 up for athlete development since Ds16 and Dh had to be there anyhow. She liked it. When I was clarifying whether or not Dh wanted to go to the training camp this summer, she calmly announced that she wanted to attend. I'm not going to send Ds16 and not her, so I signed her up. That was a chunk of change I wasn't planning on this year.

Then today at team training, the coaches mentioned wanting to take teams to South America, South Africa, Europe, and Canada. Not every team to every location, but I don't know what that will look like for our family. I was definitely not planning on multiple international competitions. I cannot save that much money. Everyone in the family is resistant to me getting a job, but at some point we're just going to need more income if costs rise exponentially.

@mommyoffive I talked to Dh and he is willing to change how we pay for things if it will make some of the rest of this easier to manage. What should we know about travel hacking?

Ha, I was reading your post and going to bring up travel hacking if you were interested.  Sounds like you guys would benefit from it so much.  You want to be sure first off that you are someone who is going to pay off your credit card and not pay interest.  We put everything on our credit cards and pay them in full every month.  Never paid a cent in interest.  As long as you do that, this is for you. 

You are going to want to pick cards that have big sign up bonuses.  Open the card, meet the spend, get the points, and redeem them. It really truly is that simple.  I looked at travel hacking for years before we did it, because I thought it was a scam.  But it isn't.  

Oh and dh and I open separate credit cards.  Twice the bonuses.  I have had no trouble getting my own cards even though I am just at SAHM. We have gotten so much free travel from it.  And we are not deep into it as you will find a lot of experts on travel boards are.  

Here are some of the sites I started reading and getting my information from

The Points Guy - Maximize your travel.

Thrifty Traveler | Travel More For Less

Travel Hacking Mom | Travel on Points

One Mile at a Time: Airline Travel News, Reviews and Credit Card Offers

Upgraded Points: Maximize Your Points, Miles & Travel Experience

Feel free to ask other questions.

I forgot what sport does your family do?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

Plot twist: our vehicle started shaking and the check engine light is on. We get to add one hotel stay plus a mechanic visit to our trip bill. Definitely not cheaper than last year. I'm mentally dropping the Chicago tournament from our spring schedule. The kids won't need the points, so it would be for the experience.

I hope it is a quick and cheap repair for you.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

1/15-  nothing

pfft. Appropriate expenses are what you can afford. We all have different budgets, different priorities, needs and splurges. People might spend a lot on travel, or dining out, or clothes, or home, or cars, or kid's activities. 

10 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Oh, no 😞 hope it isn't too bad.

• Like 2

1/15-$39.50- Gas- dh's car- I was so close to making it without spending money but I had to go get dd3 from her friend's house. Friend lives somewhat close to my Mom and Dad so I visited them. 

1/16- $0- woot woot

dd2 only spent $5 of the $20 I gave her for the dance so the other 15 went to dd1 for her swim pictures. I should have known they were coming but we're new to sports and I just don't think of these things until they send it out last minute. I *think* there is enough in my school activities budget as long as nothing else comes up. I've still got some in there for the rest of her away meets- she has 4 left, one of which is a night away but meals are covered for that one.

I might get some groceries today. I've got to go in for dd's home meet so it depends on if I have to take her early and have time to kill. Otherwise I don't think I'll have any spending. She stayed at a friend's house last night so I'm not sure if they'll be taking her or I'll need to get her and take her.

• Like 2

No good news. The Beast needs a new engine. I notice some people have itemized their spending. My week would look something like this:

Sunday:

Clothes and activity books for the kids ~$150

Athlete Development Summer Camp registration for 2 people $1300

Monday:

Gas ~$160

Food ~$50

Hotel ~$150

Tuesday:

New engine and installation ~$9500

Gas ~$50

Exciting week. The Sunday spending wouldn't have happened if I had known Tuesday was coming. Interesting, too, that this happened after I said we don't usually carry debt. We'll pay everything, but we may have to borrow a couple thousand from one of the kids for a bit. This was an unexpected expense. Before the trip, the vehicle was running well. And based on mileage, we could have reasonably expected to put another 30-40,000 miles on it before it needed anything significant. We'll have to make some big cuts. We're already talking about skipping some tournaments. We'll have to make some other cuts, too, but I will have to think harder about those 

• Sad 7

Well, it's barely more than half the month, and I've already used the $500 to which I had hoped to limit myself. Although that amount includes reservations for 5 nights of camping in March.  I needed to go ahead and make the reservations or there would be no spots left. I'm going to do my best to keep the remaining expenses for the month under $200.  I really think that I can do that.  We don't need a lot of groceries, although my 22 year old son is at home until he can find a job, and twenty two year old males eat a lot!  At least he cooks, too. 😀

• Like 3

Sun $0. 
Mon $0. 
Tues $15 on make up. Dd and I have realized it’s been a loooooong time since we replaced any products, and now I’m trying to decide what I can get away with and what I can’t. For someone who only wears makeup a handful of times per month (if that), it’s such a waste!

I have to get gas today, and I need to order some dog stuff. These dang puppies grow so fast. At least it doesn’t keep going for years on end like kids!

• Like 5

DD6 broke her arm, so that's an unexpected ER visit.

I recognized one of the ER nurses from a visit earlier this year. Ugh.

On the bright side, I found street parking and spent $20 less than I would have otherwise if we'd ended up in the garage.

@Meriwether So sorry about the car. Argh. We have a $1500 repair coming up that I've been ignoring, but I think we have to bite the bullet. We've got a Toyota with 160K miles on it, so such a repair isn't totally unexpected, but it is frustrating.

Emily

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Sorry to hear of the injuries and car troubles. I commiserate.  

Yesterday I spent $4 on a tea out. I got cash for my class card for ballet ($40). 

We are still waiting to see when my car will be done. It broke down in Oct and we just got it in early this month because the guy is so busy. Need to save about another $700 to pay the complete estimate. Praying the estimate is accurate. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Sorry to hear of the injuries and car troubles. I commiserate.  

Yesterday I spent $4 on a tea out. I got cash for my class card for ballet ($40). 

We are still waiting to see when my car will be done. It broke down in Oct and we just got it in early this month because the guy is so busy. Need to save about another $700 to pay the complete estimate. Praying the estimate is accurate. 

How stressful.  Hoping the estimate is accurate or to much.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m so sorry! Beyond the expense, I hope it isn’t too hard. I had to get a new engine while car stuff was really crazy, and it took AGES! (And a whole lot of money.)

My husband and I each have a different vehicle to drive. We used the Expedition for church on Sundays (We can use my parents' van for that since we have it. We could not get a car rental. After trying for hours we asked my parents to bring us a vehicle. They drove two vehicles two and a half hours so we could take one home. Their other vehicles are farm vehicles, so my sister is lending them a car until we bring their van back which won't be until the Beast is fixed. I love my family so much. I told Dad how much I appreciated it and he said, "You'd do it for me." And I would, of course. It would be so much harder to get through these little bumps without family.) and traveling. We won't need it until the beginning of March. I think the engine is supposed to come in the first or second week of February. 

• Like 7

So sorry to hear about the broken arm and broken-down car!

I am continuing to just not buy things.  It is helpful that I have an extremely busy schedule at the moment and no time to shop for anything other than food.  

DH keeps expressing mild displeasure about my using Venmo to pay for some of the kids' lessons because there is a fee.  I agree with him that it would be preferable to not pay said fee, but for teachers who don't live locally, Venmo really is the most efficient way to pay them.  I suppose I could ask them if I could send a check every few months, but I'm not sure that they will be all that pleased to agree. 

• Like 4

$64.46 in gas yesterday. Yuck! Also, that’s the lowest I’ve let my tank get in I don’t know how long!

I also got hit with a charge that looks like it must be a subscription I forgot about, so I have to look into that. (9.99). And a $5.30 subscription I do know about but need to consider canceling. (Puppy training tips, while so much is available for free.)

Plus my personal splurge, which I did now because it’ll be impossible for me to do in spring/summer. I paid to have my face lasered. Can I see some impressive improvement? Yes. Am I concerned this morning about whether or not my swelling is normal, or at least “normal” for someone who’s face tends to swell overnight when irritated? Yes. Was it torture for 10 minutes and miserable for 20 more? Yes.

Will I get a second treatment? Likely.

Ds is having his first overnight friend guest tonight, so we will be purchasing a few frivolous snacks later.

I’m really appreciating this exercise. I know I’m not being FRUGAL, but I’m being so much more conscientious about what I’m doing, when, and why. And the why is making a big difference!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am continuing to just not buy things.  It is helpful that I have an extremely busy schedule at the moment and no time to shop for anything other than food.  

DH keeps expressing mild displeasure about my using Venmo to pay for some of the kids' lessons because there is a fee.  I agree with him that it would be preferable to not pay said fee, but for teachers who don't live locally, Venmo really is the most efficient way to pay them.  I suppose I could ask them if I could send a check every few months, but I'm not sure that they will be all that pleased to agree. 

Could you use Zelle? I pay most teachers that way and there isn't a fee.

Emily

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just got an email that a recurring subscription order was placed yesterday. Doh! It is a subscription that only mails once every six months, which is how I forgot all about it. I went into the website and canceled future orders today, but will keep the one that is currently on its way.

I need to grocery shop, but between the hospital on Tuesday, a piano recital yesterday, an orthodontist appointment today, and work, I just don't have the time to get to the grocery store. We're hitting the bottom of the barrel, with only a few apples and two oranges left for fruit, but I think we can make it one more day. I'm going to make a beet borscht tonight with cabbage, potatoes, half a carrot, and three beets. I'll throw in a can of kidney beans (and maybe white beans if I have any left) and then we have yogurt to put on top. That'll about clean out the fridge.

DD14 is starting to look at violin cases. One of the many reasons I'm watching my wallet right now is because we're buying her a violin next month. She needs a case to put it in (and a bow, but haven't started thinking about that yet).

In good news, DS17 got another piano student, which should help cover some of his spendy summer plans, LOL.

Emily

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m really appreciating this exercise. I know I’m not being FRUGAL, but I’m being so much more conscientious about what I’m doing, when, and why. And the why is making a big difference!

This is a good thing!  I think when a person is aware of what they're spending, they are less likely to get in financial trouble.

• Like 4

@EmilyGF so sorry about your daughter's broken arm- that stinks!

@Meriwether eeeek that's a helluva repair bill- no fun at all!

@Carrie12345 Yes, keeping track does really help keep things reined in it is like journaling food intake you really don't want to have to write it down so that helps keep you in line lol

--------------------

1/17- $13.x paid off school lunches for dd1- she mostly packs her lunch but had a balance from last month

1/18- $21.x - Walmart- some groceries- mostly snacks for dd's swim meet/$20 cash dh

I plan to go grocery shopping today but it should be a fairly small bill my list hasn't got much as of yet. It seems I've got to be missing something. I need to go through the fridge and cabinets again.

Dh is going to dd's meet with her which means I'm certain he'll take her out to eat afterwards as they're evidently not going to get home until late, maybe after 10. Swim season is almost done, almost done! 

The guy who was supposed to come buy tables yesterday said he was sick and he'll come Saturday. I've not got anyone else beating down my door for them so I guess I'll wait. I forgot to bring the shoes to meet the lady last night, too much on my mind. UGH. Hoping I can meet her tonight.

Food waste: Nothing new- polished off some fruits and veggies. I've made some bread for me that I half cooked and then finished and is a little odd. I'm going to try and eat it all but .....

I think that's it.....

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JennyD said:

I don't pay a fee when I send my landscaper money.

• Like 1

DS11 just got back from traveling with DH on a business trip. He was pestering me over the past few days to go grocery shopping for some foods he really likes, or at least order pizza (argh!). Finally I explained to him that I'm watching what I spend because I had been spending too much in November and December. Surprisingly, he was totally on board. 

He said, "Oh, yeah, you were going to Trader Joe's all the time last month." LOL, he didn't even think about Christmas presents. Then he wrote a list and we planned a single shopping list for a one-time trip.

Emily

• Like 4

Not too bad of a few days money wise. Sold some dishes for 45.  Listed some more old Pyrex.

Picked up a huge load of stuff for 15.  Now to go through it all and list the good stuff. 

vet- 135 exam, 3 year rabies and arthritis pain medication.  When it is cold, she is not happy as her arthritis acts up.  At 13 next month, she deserves to be as comfortable as possible. 

Groceries- 35.  I just needed a few odds and ends this week.  

DD has some tuition due next week so that will an expense along with we all have eye exams next week.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 5

1/19-$16.x- dh and dd got food after dd's away meet

1/20- $46.x dh gas; &78.x groceries

Food waste: 2 ish cups to the milk fed the cats. Dh flucuates his milk drinking too much and he's the only one that drinks regular milk. The rest of us drink soy and almond milk I had him pick up groceries last night since dd2 and dd3 plans changed and I didn't need to go to town for them.  He mostly stayed on the list.

My total for groceries this week is just around $100. Which is good as it looks like we might go over on gas for the month and I might need to pull from grocery to cover it. Dh didn't start college until this week(3 hr round trip commute twice a week) and was gone part of last week so I really lowered the gas budget to send more to the loan. I might have lowered it too much. I expect I'll have to fill up one more time but not sure on dh with him having 3 more trips to college and of course work and taking dd to school on other days. I'll be adding to my driving until dd1 gets her license I'll be taking her on the days dh has college.Plus we have 2 more away meets I'm not sure which of we'll be attending.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

I’ve only bought groceries, meds, and gas this month so far. Eating down pantry and freezers. Just buying dairy, fresh fruit and veggies.

$200 to dishwasher repair guy yesterday- worth every cent

Doing a potluck soup thing at work next week- making veggie chili, all from the pantry.

ETA- oh shoot, I forgot dh had a car starter put in his car.. $550

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 6

Been a crazy week - extra hours at work, etc. 

Trying to think what all spending there has been.

Got a $5.21 check from some class action settlement (whoo-hoo, free money!).

Got groceries (stayed within budget barely), bought 2 cokes this morning at McD's as DH and I were out and about early. 4 PT's, massage therapy appt for migraine relief, lunch out on one day for me (Burger King) since I got called to come in unexpectedly and I hadn't planned a lunch. Oh, a medical bill came in for some labwork - almost $600 (Bleah!). Bought a new water bottle and face masks for the Mayo Clinic trip - both were necessary purchases. Found out that they don't provide lunch in this program despite being there over lunch, so I have to have lunch ideas as well. 

Made up a menu plan for the next crazy-busy week.

I just cleaned up the kitchen and am taking a break before doing some more make-ahead cooking today. Planning on some muffins, breakfast burritos, pizza sauce, a meatloaf, waffles, and a cajun sausage sheet pan meal. I've got 2 days to cook it in though, so probably won't get it all done today. Youngest wants to try some apple cider donuts with some apple cider packets we found in the pantry today as well. 

• Like 4

1/21- $0

1/22-$0

Food waste: 2 Tbs. of guacamole- finished off the mexican but had some guac left that got put aside; 2 Tbs of strawberry cream cheese- I think was forgotten by the children; 1/2 bunch parsley- used half for part of a recipe and meant to use rest for another I ended up forgetting; 1/4 c. homemade sauce for stir fry- only dd2 likes but she didn't finish it

Should be finishing our taxes today to file tomorrow as we got our lat forms in last week.

I'll be making lentil curry for my lunch this coming week using some odds and ends vegetables that need to be eaten.

Might pre-cook parts of meals for upcoming week.

I realized that the last 2 away meets of dd1's will be on next months budgets as they are Feb 2 and 7th. That should put some extra in my school activities budget. I might take dd's 1 and 2 to a hs event this coming Friday. Other than dd2 doing a dance for $5 (plus maybe $15 for this and thats for her outfit) they've only hung out with hs friends at their houses and we've skipped paid activities.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Soror said:

1/21- $0

1/22-$0

Food waste: 2 Tbs. of guacamole- finished off the mexican but had some guac left that got put aside; 2 Tbs of strawberry cream cheese- I think was forgotten by the children; 1/2 bunch parsley- used half for part of a recipe and meant to use rest for another I ended up forgetting; 1/4 c. homemade sauce for stir fry- only dd2 likes but she didn't finish it

Should be finishing our taxes today to file tomorrow as we got our lat forms in last week.

I'll be making lentil curry for my lunch this coming week using some odds and ends vegetables that need to be eaten.

Might pre-cook parts of meals for upcoming week.

I realized that the last 2 away meets of dd1's will be on next months budgets as they are Feb 2 and 7th. That should put some extra in my school activities budget. I might take dd's 1 and 2 to a hs event this coming Friday. Other than dd2 doing a dance for $5 (plus maybe $15 for this and thats for her outfit) they've only hung out with hs friends at their houses and we've skipped paid activities.

Jealous.  I like to file early, but have gotten 0 forms.