Menu

Name help

Elizabeth86

Our last name begins with "h" and in thinking of your question I realized that 3 of our kids names in with an "h" - not quite the same as a hard consonant sound though.  I always considered syllable count and accents more than sounds but if it sounds off to you, don't do it because it will probably always grate on your ears.  We gave one of our sons a middle name "Frank" and I never have been able to even jokingly yell the first, middle, last name of that kid because the rhythm is off.  We did it to honor an older family member and I still wish we had done Franklin because it would have sounded better 

• Like 1

There is one hard consonant sound that I personally can't stand repetition of in names. Of course, that is the first sound of our last name. I specifically tried to avoid first names that start or end with that same sound. 

I wasn't entirely successful. One child has a first name with that sound in the middle. I love his full first name and it's a family name. However, the very, very common nickname for it drops the second syllable, and therefore ends with the undesirable to me sound. We never, ever shorten his name. Following our example, no one else has either. I've told him that he can choose the short version, but he always looks horrified. However, I fully accept that someday he might choose to use the nickname and I would roll with it. He's only 12, so using it someday is a real possibility.

Another child ended up with a first name that ends in the sound. I love the name, but dislike how it blends into our last name. Therefore, I never, ever call him just first name last name. It's always first name middle name last name. 

Of course, I am a weirdo who regularly uses both first and middle names for kids, so it doesn't seem strange to do that for him.

I've made my peace with it.

Long story short, I highly suggest choosing something that doesn't sound off to you. If you choose it anyway, make peace with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

Well the only example I can come up with now is Frank King which I do think sounds off. 

Sam Martin
Paul Langston
Lars Sonnen
David Donner
Ben Newton

Sorry for only listing boy names....our toddler is waking up.

• Like 1

I filtered names for that because the last name is unusual & I wanted people to hear it clearly. With more common surnames, I don't think it matters as much. (Nobody is going to think he's Charles Myth instead of Charles Smith, or William Eickels instead of William Michaels.)

Edited by 73349
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't think it sounds off. If it's a hard sound like a K or a T, then it does cause your mouth to work a bit, but that could be heard as strong. In the example above, I think "Frank King" sounds like a strong name - maybe even a little bossy. I don't love it, but it doesn't sound "off" at all to me. On the other hand if you get one that's a softer consonant, it may sound a little more melodic. I don't think it's any weirder than an alliterative name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

🤣 Well good call. It is a K sound. Luke and a 2 syllable last name beginning with K.

Oh. That's exactly our situation (hard K sound, 2 syllable last name). 

FWIW, DH has a cousin named Luke K(last name). I have no idea how he feels about it, but it's not my favorite. Interestingly, that Luke has a brother named the nickname of our oldest's name. Again, not my favorite, so I hope our oldest continues to use his full name.

Again, all I can say is make really sure you can deal with it, or it could easily irritate you for the rest of your life.

42 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oops sorry. I love love love the name Luke.  I do think Luke Kincaid  sounds better than Luke King. Do you like Lucas?

I DO like Lucas, BUT Lucas is 2 syllables, the mn will likely be 2 syllables and last name is 2 syllables.  That does kind of bug me.  

15 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I DO like Lucas, BUT Lucas is 2 syllables, the mn will likely be 2 syllables and last name is 2 syllables.  That does kind of bug me.  

I think a series of two syllable names can sound good 😂. For instance, Lucas Michael Kannon sounds nice, rhythmic and strong to me.  If I really wanted to use a name I wouldn’t worry much about the middle name. Only two of mine use or talk about their middle names. For the others, it’s just an initial (and a connection as they each share a mn with a grandfather.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it sounds weird to you, don't use it.  I have weird name rules and thats one of them.  Also nothing that rhymes or has the same last syllable.  I also prefer to use different numbers of syllables- my kids are either 1-2-3, 2-1-3, and I have one that's 2-2-3.  

I do not care what others use for naming their kids, but these were things I kept in mind.  Best of luck picking a name!  Its HARD!!!!  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, freesia said:

I think a series of two syllable names can sound good 😂. For instance, Lucas Michael Kannon sounds nice, rhythmic and strong to me.  If I really wanted to use a name I wouldn’t worry much about the middle name. Only two of mine use or talk about their middle names. For the others, it’s just an initial (and a connection as they each share a mn with a grandfather.)

Thanks. I’m an over thinker especially when I’m pregnant.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

If it sounds weird to you, don't use it.  I have weird name rules and thats one of them.  Also nothing that rhymes or has the same last syllable.  I also prefer to use different numbers of syllables- my kids are either 1-2-3, 2-1-3, and I have one that's 2-2-3.  

I do not care what others use for naming their kids, but these were things I kept in mind.  Best of luck picking a name!  Its HARD!!!!  

Thanks. If SO hard. When I’m not pregnant, I could easily pick names, but when I’m pregnant nothing suits me at all.

My friend has three girls and she named them all with the syllable  pattern of 2/1/2. 

My son is 2/1/2.

Just realized my step sons are both 2/2/1. 

Honestly though I just have to know the actual name to have a full opinion.  I love talking names. Pm me if you want!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My friend has three girls and she named them all with the syllable  pattern of 2/1/2. 

My son is 2/1/2.

Just realized my step sons are both 2/2/1. 

Honestly though I just have to know the actual name to have a full opinion.  I love talking names. Pm me if you want!

I may do that in just a little bit, thanks!

• Like 1

I think it can be okay, depending on the name. When I read K I thought of Nick Cave and that seems okay to me, maybe because of familiarity, in which case you'll be familiar with your own baby soon enough. 😄 I haven't done it with any of mine, but I did end up with a rhyming one! First and last name with 2 syllables ending in the same sound, whoops. Still love it!

• Like 1

I had this strange notion as a child that I wanted a son named Luke Cartwright.

Alas, my last name was not Cartwright, neither did I ever meet anyone with the last name of Cartwright, and thus I do not have a son name Luke Cartwright.

I think depending on the name, the ending/starting sounds can be similar and sound fine.

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I had this strange notion as a child that I wanted a son named Luke Cartwright.

Alas, my last name was not Cartwright, neither did I ever meet anyone with the last name of Cartwright, and thus I do not have a son name Luke Cartwright.

I think depending on the name, the ending/starting sounds can be similar and sound fine.

How funny. I sure thought of kid names as a cold, but I never did think of what my last name would be. lol

• Like 1

Our last name ends in S, and even though I liked some of them, I couldn't stand how first names ending in S or Sh sounded, next to our last name. So we avoided them. But we have a couple of friends who used S-ending first names, even though their last name started with S.

So I wouldn't do it myself, but many people do!

• Like 1