Menu

Help with rash on infant

AbcdeDooDah

Just now, Terabith said:

Just that one arm and back?  It doesn't look like illness, and I wouldn't think illness would be so localized.  Some form of allergic reaction?

I looked at the other picture she sent and it’s both arms and whole  trunk. Dd said it was small this morning. 

Definitely look like hives. 

That said, my kids tended to get weird rashes from any virus they caught, it seemed like. But they didn't look like hives like that....so I'm still thinking reaction to something. But could be airborne pollen, someone's perfume, etc etc etc. Definitely get it checked out though. 

• Like 1

Oldest DS used to get hives like that.  Triggers for him were:

laundry products

lotion (even gentle ones could evoke hives)

changes in soap/shampoo/water (even a water change when traveling could change how his body reacted to an okayed soap)

illness

mold exposure

He grew out of it, but we kept a written record for a while of the day and what he used/ate/touched so we could reduce exposure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

My kid did that when he ate strawberries. He'd eaten them before with no problem, but one day he really enjoyed a lot of them and had hives. He's outgrown the allergy now.

My husband has had reactions to fruit, especially strawberries, that he didn't wash thoroughly. He used to be kind of cavalier about washing things. In his case though, he had honey-crusted lesions around his mouth.

Tightening up protocols for handling things might be in order though--some people are super sensitive to mild cross-contamination, such as not washing hands if you handle a specific food and are moving on to another. While it might not be "unsafe" to cut up an apple and then a strawberry, it is not be allergen-friendly, and with a little one, something like that could really throw off efforts to figure out the trigger.

Edited by kbutton

20 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

The doctor said it was most likely a newly developed allergy to something, put aquaphor on it, and follow up with ped if it’s not better in a week. 

Baby aquaphor in tub was great for DS17’s eczema when he was an infant. He was born in December and the winter weather was bad for his skin. Target was cheaper than Safeway/Vons for us, and since he used a lot we bought the tub instead of the tube. 

https://www.target.com/p/aquaphor-baby-healing-ointment-advanced-therapy-skin-protectant-dry-skin-and-diaper-rash-ointment-jar-14oz/-/A-11225230

• Like 2