Menu

Girlfriend/Boyfriend gifts thread

BlsdMama

We have two married now so that’s easier!

New girlfriend in the mix - They’ve been together almost a year. 

I think I’m getting a pretty box from JoAnne’s.  I ordered a personalized stainless cup and straw from Etsy and some cute Bombas wool socks. I’m going to toss in a gift card to Starbucks and to an art store and miscellaneous candy. Kind of a modified stocking?

• Like 3

I always get my daughter's boyfriend a book. Something nature-themed (he is an environmental studies major and very interested in trees and plants). 

My son's girlfriend is trickier. We just don't know her as well and he can't give us any ideas. Last year we got her a Baggu tote, on the assumption that young women always like totes, and in any case they don't take up much space.  https://www.baggu.com/

If/when these folks become, ah, permanent, I will make them a stocking and amp up the gifts a bit. Or, if they were going to be here on Christmas, so they wouldn't feel left out.

I don't think you can go wrong with socks and gift cards! 

• Like 2

This is the first year that any of my kids has had a significant other over the holidays.

DD20 has been dating her boyfriend for a year; we know him well; and we anticipate that they may eventually marry. She says he would like a Bible, so we are getting him one.

DD17 has her first boyfriend; they've only been dating for a couple of months; even though he hangs out at our house, he is very reserved, and we don't know him well. I don't plan to give him a gift.

In general, for college students, I think the big bubble wrap calendar would be extremely fun.

Wait...under what circumstances should we be giving a gift to the SO of one of our kiddos?  (we're new to this...)

Youngest (he's 17) has been dating a girl for a little over a year. She won't be here for Christmas or anything like that. Although of course he'll see her during the break, and they are giving each other gifts. 

Should I plan to get her a little gift???  

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Wait...under what circumstances should we be giving a gift to the SO of one of our kiddos?  (we're new to this...)

Youngest (he's 17) has been dating a girl for a little over a year. She won't be here for Christmas or anything like that. Although of course he'll see her during the break, and they are giving each other gifts. 

I don't usually unless they are spending time with us during our family traditions, especially when they are that young. When one dd was seriously dating her now dh, I knew he liked fudge, so I made him a batch.

• Like 3

I usually give a small gift card to somewhere they like, a personalized mug or themed one that they would enjoy, gourmet hot cocoa, and candy. Last year before soon to be daughter in law was still a girlfriend, I actually gave her a box of non perishable snacks for her dorm room (she is younger than our son and was still in college), Starbucks card, and slippers and fuzzy socks because ds mentioned hers were worn out, and she always has cold feet.

This year they are engaged - and we love her to pieces - so I made her a beautiful quilt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

I would not.  Or, rather, it's defined by a few factors.  Ds's girlfriend is like a family friend - she's over here with or without him, has my phone number, and has joined us for other types of holidays.  She's also an adult, so it's not like us giving a gift to a kid, but more like a friend. Ds let it slip this morning that she has gotten us a family gift (I'm guessing it's a new game, because that's how we wind down our family fun time). 

If I did get a gift for a minor's girlfriend, it would be something that made it clear that there was no reciprocation involved.

• Like 4

I would have been wondering, too, but DD20 says that her boyfriend really wants to get gifts for us (he's super nice), and that was a big clue that we needed to get him something!

In your case, I might have something little, like a special snack or little item like cute socks. Nothing that she would feel that she needed to reciprocate.

• Like 1

I try to buy little things under $25 throughout the year that would make simple gifts for unexpected arrivals. The new college roommate that didn’t go home for the holiday.  The boy/girlfriend that might or might not join us during a gifting moment.  I don’t want anyone to feel like they aren’t included.

It has usually been what I call neutral items like LED candle sets (a HUGE hit btw), hat or scarf, hand knit/crochet mug wraps, throw blanket…

If I have a clue what they like and just happen to get lucky I try to tailor it a bit if it’s someone that’s been around a while. A tea set and assorted teas for the tea drinker. Coloring books and prisma pencils. A computer satchel for the new IT job I found on clearance back in August. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

I don't think I would in this case. I didn't start getting gifts for a few years. I just started it because I love my daughter's BF's curiosity and like handing off books. Last year's gift to my son's GF was really not needed at all, since he took it to her when they got together after Christmas. I think in her case I just wanted her to feel like we liked her; she comes off as a bit insecure and anxious when she visits us (which is not often; she lives about 2 hours away). 

• Like 1

I have TWO future daughters-in-law this year. This is the first year I’ll be giving them gifts (although maybe I’ve given ds and gf a joint gift in the past, can’t remember. I am the absolute WORST and giving/buying gifts. I am defective. Tonight I purchased my first xmas gift of the year, and if dh hadn’t been there saying just press Buy already, I probably wouldn’t have. There are some good ideas here but I still need more ideas. Oh how I hate gift buying. I enjoy getting gifts though. Lol

8 hours ago, TheReader said:

Our DS turns 18 just after Christmas and she’s 17. They’ve been together just short of a year. To be fair, we know her pretty well. Her grandma is a friend, her grandpa was oldest DS’ Scout master, her dad is our Trail Life coordinator, and I’m one of her AHG leaders so there is a lot of overlap and we know all of her sibs. Plus she’ll be at our bigger family Christmas so it would be awkward to not get her a gift. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

• Like 1