Menu

Non-toxic bakeware anyone? Is there a brand you love? Also what do I need to look for?

Ann.without.an.e

Everything I own bakeware-wise is 25 years old and really needs to be replaced. I'd like to go non-toxic. I have pots and pans that I'm happy with, so just bakeware. I'd love at least half sheet pans, jelly roll sized pans, round cake pans, and muffin tins. I've bounced around whether Caraway is worth the cost                 

@AngelaGT have yours held up?) or Green Pan seems nice too. Are there cheaper options? I'd rather not have aluminum but it seems stainless steel is rarely an option for bakeware so I think I'm stuck with it there. 

I tend to buy something and not change it out for a long time, so longevity is important. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

The first and easiest thing to do to avoid toxins is to NOT have non-stick. I have found that it's really easy and not a big deal to use oil and other fats to prevent sticking when I cook, whether baking or using pots/pans on the stove. Personally, I rely on stainless steel or aluminum. 

I'm ok with non stick, but I'm having a difficult time finding stainless steel for baking (it is easy for cookware though). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places lol. Everything seems to be coated though. 

• Like 1

Here’s a stainless steel jelly roll pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-4855COM-Cookie-Stainless/dp/B001ET5ZHE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3UVKBSY4P5XD2&keywords=stainless+steel+jelly+roll+pan&qid=1669044583&sprefix=stainless+steel+jelly+%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3

I think Amazon pretty much has stainless steel in most types of baking pans, but it may not be as heavy duty as restaurant supply store pans. 

Borosilicate glass pans are a good option for casseroles. They don’t explode as easily, and it’s definitively non toxic. 

I have a borosilicate glass pizza pan I got from Amazon that I love better than any stainless steel one I’ve had. 

I also have a stainless steel roasting pan I got from Amazon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends what you’re baking. I use glass for several things (loaf pan, pie plates, square or rectangular cakes). 

But I haven’t found a great solution for things like cupcakes. I’ve used both silicone and aluminum (with paper liners). The silicone seems impossible to get clean easily. It’s like left over residue and discoloration affects mine. I usually spray with the flour mixture in a can. Maybe that isn’t a good product for silicone. 

In theory you could cut out cupcake size treats from a glass casserole pan but I don’t want to do that. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-4855COM-Cookie-Stainless/dp/B001ET5ZHE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3UVKBSY4P5XD2&keywords=stainless+steel+jelly+roll+pan&qid=1669044583&sprefix=stainless+steel+jelly+%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3

I think Amazon pretty much has stainless steel in most types of baking pans, but it may not be as heavy duty as restaurant supply store pans. 

Borosilicate glass pans are a good option for casseroles. They don’t explode as easily, and it’s definitively non toxic. 

I have a borosilicate glass pizza pan I got from Amazon that I love better than any stainless steel one I’ve had. 

Wow this is amazing. It appears they sell several stainless steel baking items including a muffin/cupcake pan. 

• Like 1

I was really determined not to have to resort to nonstick muffin pans. This was the hardest thing to find a solution for. So this is what I do:

image.thumb.jpeg.8686186de91d7a2e7b0ff67266e8fb98.jpeg

These are Duralex. They specifically say oven safe. Not all of their glass is oven safe!

Fiestaware makes these, too. Oven safe. 

Pyrex has some….they come with those little rubber lids. 

I also use them for serving warm maple syrup, and for sauces, etc. 

ETA: I have mix matched sizes, but you could get all smaller or all larger, depending if you want regular or jumbo muffins.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

I mostly use Pampered Chef stoneware for baking.  I do have to grease it but it provides absolutely even heat so even delicate things like meringue crusts come out perfect.

I have stainless steel jelly roll pans and use them as cookie sheets as well.  They are the most versatile of my baking supplies after pie pans.  I don’t ever buy nonstick ones.

And I have a big roasting pan set from Williams Sonoma for big turkeys and such—also not nonstick.  I can put it across two burners on the stove and make gravy right in the pan once the bird is out.  

• Like 3

I use a ton of cast iron for baking.

I use cast iron skillets for biscuits and it gives them such a lovely texture.  I think Pampered chef has stainless steel baking sheets.

Here's a cast iron muffin tin. I bet it would make great textured muffins.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NWJC4LZ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&th=1

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I use a ton of cast iron for baking.

I use cast iron skillets for biscuits and it gives them such a lovely texture.  I think Pampered chef has stainless steel baking sheets.

Here's a cast iron muffin tin. I bet it would make great textured muffins.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NWJC4LZ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&th=1

I love all things cast iron. I did try this once, but let me tell you…..it is hard to clean. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I recently learned that both silicone baking sheets and parchment paper are made with some chemical to prevent sticking. It seems no matter what we use, we're exposing ourselves to some crap. I use parchment paper all the time. 

I just looked that up and yeah, bleached parchment paper is made with dioxin. Good grief. Both bleached and unbleached is made with silicone which I'm okay with, but not dioxin. Off to check my parchment paper. And here I was just assuming it was regular paper.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Everything I own bakeware-wise is 25 years old and really needs to be replaced. I'd like to go non-toxic. I have pots and pans that I'm happy with, so just bakeware. I'd love at least half sheet pans, jelly roll sized pans, round cake pans, and muffin tins. I've bounced around whether Caraway is worth the cost                 

@AngelaGT have yours held up?) or Green Pan seems nice too. Are there cheaper options? I'd rather not have aluminum but it seems stainless steel is rarely an option for bakeware so I think I'm stuck with it there. 

I tend to buy something and not change it out for a long time, so longevity is important. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks 🙂 

I purchased an All Clad Bakeware Set and I am very pleased with it.

• Thanks 1

I have some stainless steel (Allclad), some uncoated Carbon Steel (italian brands) and some cast iron. I don't use parchment and silicone. So, I need metal that can withstand some level of scratching and that is why my first preference is for seasoned Carbon Steel and Cast Iron. I do own a bunch of old pyrex which hold up well, but food tends to stick to them for me, so I use them infrequently.

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I recently learned that both silicone baking sheets and parchment paper are made with some chemical to prevent sticking. It seems no matter what we use, we're exposing ourselves to some crap. I use parchment paper all the time. 

Arrrgh. I hate to hear that! I use silicone baking sheets and muffin tins and parchment paper all the time!

• Like 1

I use stainless steel, glass, cast iron and copper.

I've been able to find stainless steel stuff on Amazon otherwise look at restaurant supply places. I found copper on etsy for cookie sheets but it's going to have patina unless you just polished it.

I just let my bakeware look baked in. If I know someone who cares is going to fret over it then I clean it with barkeeper's friend for stainless steel and copper polish for the copper. 

I do use parchment paper for things... ugh I too thought it was just paper.

17 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Can someone enlighten me--what's the issue with aluminum? Thanks.

According to my husband—none. He’s an engineer who specializes in environmental & health and safety. I think there is concern with aluminum leaching into food. I mean, I wouldn’t simmer tomato sauce in an aluminum pan, but the amount of aluminum you might ingest is so minimal…I use aluminum foil and aluminum cookie sheets without worry. Most of my cooking is done in stainless, glass, or cast iron. So what little I do use aluminum isn’t a concern for me.

I don’t use non stick cookware. 

I’m following because I’d like new cookie sheets and cake pans. Mine are old, too. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I just baked a loaf of Einkhorn sourdough in a glass loaf pan. It plopped out perfectly. I did grease the dish first. That got me thinking…are there glass cake pans? As it turns out…

https://www.amazon.com/Fluted-Europe-Puddings-Desserts-Dishwasher/dp/B000M2Z2PY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=24TAHYLWH7B84&keywords=simax+cake+pan&qid=1669093648&sprefix=simax+cake+pan%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-3

It’s so pretty! I’m trying to find a regular round 8 or 9 inch made with borosilicate glass. I bought a pitcher recently—what I like about it is that it’s not heavy. 

I have a Pyrex pie plate, but I’ve never seen a Pyrex cake pan. Off to Google.

Any thoughts?

Edited by popmom
Fix link

13 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Do you have a link to that glass pizza pan? Also, what happens when my husband cuts the pizza in the pan? 😉

Edited by popmom

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Link to alzheimer's. That’s why so many people opt to get aluminum-free deodorant. But that’s been a losing battle for me (stuff doesn’t work or gives me a rash) 

That is an old, bad study,. As it is,  within the last year or two, the general medical community realized that they were totally wrong in their thoughts about Alzheimer's.  And that includes the fact that medications are basically useless. The entire foundation of Alzheimer's research and thinking has drastically changed in the last year or two.  I thin this is partly due to poor results from medications, partly due to them finding other factors that are super important== like they have found that type 2 diabetes is a giant risk factor.  They have also found out that at least one of the biologics that suppress TNF which is part of the immune system that can go haywire in auto-immune people, lowered the risk of Alzheimers  A big study in England, mostly, found that people who walk about 9 steps a day, are ,much less likely to get dementia.  Now that particular study makes me think that effects of dementia are happening very much earlier than people and researchers can notice.  Cause I am not sure that the walking os preventing Alzheimer's versus the people who are sitting around all the time are already having brain changes.  I know personally that when I have a cortisol crash. I am not walking very much at all- unless someone suggests a walk, etc.  But norrmally, I walk a lot in my large house cause my ADHD and brain fog make me forget where I lost things, or forgot to get something I needed, or .....  Basically, the Alzheimer;s research is back to square one/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Link to alzheimer's. That’s why so many people opt to get aluminum-free deodorant. But that’s been a losing battle for me (stuff doesn’t work or gives me a rash) 

I thought that link was debunked, but I am not sure. I will have to dig into that later, unless someone else knows one way or the other. Thanks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clarita said:

They are having a Black Friday sale right now... FYI

14 hours ago, popmom said:

That is so tempting. Love the colors.

Did y'all come here just to tempt me? 😁  I love the caraway stuff, but only if it is worth the investment. I need something that lasts. A new company/product is always a gamble, ugh.

Talk me into it OR out of it, please 🙂  Even if I did go that route, I would then be torn between sage and slate.

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Did y'all come here just to tempt me? 😁  I love the caraway stuff, but only if it is worth the investment. I need something that lasts. A new company/product is always a gamble, ugh.

Talk me into it OR out of it, please 🙂  Even if I did go that route, I would then be torn between sage and slate.

I talked myself out of it. lol I read up on the care. It should be handwashed, and like other non stick cookware it looks like it scratches easily. I was really interested in the cake pans, but I'm not paying that much money for something that dh or one of my kids will end up digging cinnamon rolls out of with a metal fork. 

I am interested in a small skillet though since they are induction compatible. 

Edited by popmom

It's my understanding that the aluminum/Alzheimer's link has been debunked (ETA along with the aluminum being bad in deodorants). I don't use nonstick because I'm suspicious even though I'm not aware of any clear studies on it being bad. It just seems like one of those things that years later people are going to think can't believe we were all using that, lol.

I'm inconsistent on silicone. I use silicone bags for leftovers along with my glass jars, but I avoid my silicone baking mats because they smell funny in the oven. Very chemically. 

After some more research, I'm going to use up my Kirkland parchment paper but get unbleached from here on out. Thank you board for the heads up!

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

Thoughts on USA pan? It does have a non stick coating, so I initially ruled it out. 

From the website:

"The coating applied on most USA PAN® bakeware is Americoat™, our proprietary silicone release coating which is used on almost every commercial pan in North America. It is a natural non-stick and non-toxic silicone that is PTFE, PFOA and BPA free. Americoat™ is clear in appearance and lets baked goods release quickly and effortlessly. Simply wipe the surface or wash with warm soapy water, and your USA PAN® bakeware will last a lifetime."

Silicone definitely has its detractors, but I'm sort of thinking it's similar to the aluminum concerns.

Is Silicone Safe for Food Storage? – Delight Jar

I really am looking to replace my cake pans before dd's bday in December. She always wants a carrot cake. If I'm only using these pans a few times a year, I can't imagine there would be any health risk. 

I think USA Pan may be the best compromise for me. Caraway is made in China and India. USA Pan is made--surprise, surprise--in the USA. 

Edited by popmom

On 11/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, Ann.without.an.e said:

I use cast iron and have for decades.  Use parchment paper, stainless steel and glass.  But, I've been eyeballing Caraway for about 5 years now.  I will buy their skillet that I think and hope will perform a few functions (stir fry, sauces, etc).   It seems to hit all/most of the non-toxic concerns I have.  For those concerned about non-stick, they use non-toxic materials (all or most).  I contacted CA for the CA 65 (Is that right?) info and contacted Caraway directly.  I was pleased with their answer.  Most people use plastic baggies, plastic storage containers, plastic interior for coffee makers (and the list continues) without a concern.  My WS salad spinner is plastic on exterior and stainless steel basket.  It was expensive and over the top but even though we eat a lot of lettuce I still didn't want our lettuce to "rest" in plastic 3-4 days at a time before consumption of that lettuce.  I switched to glass storage containers for freezer.  Although the lid is plastic so I make sure food is not touching the lid.   I'm not 100% void of using plastic because it's very hard but I've cut way back.   I keep pushing off the Caraway.   I don't know if they have APEO (is that right) free material or not but there is one that they don't mention, I think, and hence my reason for not following through - yet.   I will because I think it's one of or the safest one out there.  I haven't checked in 1-2 years though so there may be more options and will revisit that myself soon before placing an order.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/28/2022 at 4:06 AM, sheryl said:

I use cast iron and have for decades.  Use parchment paper, stainless steel and glass.  But, I've been eyeballing Caraway for about 5 years now.  I will buy their skillet that I think and hope will perform a few functions (stir fry, sauces, etc).   It seems to hit all/most of the non-toxic concerns I have.  For those concerned about non-stick, they use non-toxic materials (all or most).  I contacted CA for the CA 65 (Is that right?) info and contacted Caraway directly.  I was pleased with their answer.  Most people use plastic baggies, plastic storage containers, plastic interior for coffee makers (and the list continues) without a concern.  My WS salad spinner is plastic on exterior and stainless steel basket.  It was expensive and over the top but even though we eat a lot of lettuce I still didn't want our lettuce to "rest" in plastic 3-4 days at a time before consumption of that lettuce.  I switched to glass storage containers for freezer.  Although the lid is plastic so I make sure food is not touching the lid.   I'm not 100% void of using plastic because it's very hard but I've cut way back.   I keep pushing off the Caraway.   I don't know if they have APEO (is that right) free material or not but there is one that they don't mention, I think, and hence my reason for not following through - yet.   I will because I think it's one of or the safest one out there.  I haven't checked in 1-2 years though so there may be more options and will revisit that myself soon before placing an order.  

When I researched, I found that the best non toxic bakeware should be free from PFOA, PFAS, and PTFE. And these should be great to consider: Stainless Steel, Ceramic Coated, 100% Ceramic, Silicone, Cast Iron, Glass. Price can be in range of $50 - $400.

Edited by markose