Menu

Help! Need a dress and shoes quickly. Want to shop?

Spryte

Just lost a friend, and need to attend the service in a few days.

I know what I would normally wear, but it involves shoes that my feet cannot tolerate any longer. Aaack! 

Want to help me build an outfit around suitable shoes? I have hallux rigidus, so my big toe joints don’t bend. At all. It hurts. I can use steel plates in most shoes to keep things rigid, but need a larger toe box, and obviously they must be flat shoes. I currently can wear Nike Revolutions (with the steel plates) and Birkenstocks. It’s been on my list to try some more brands. The catch is that my feet are also small — EU 34 (35 if I can wear big socks), US 5, sometimes 5.5 if I’m putting in the steel plates.

I’m thinking a boot of some kind? 

And then I need a dress to work with the shoes — this feels like backwards shopping. Maybe something to throw over the dress. And, here we go again, I’m short, so it needs to be petite. I have a few wrap style dresses that might work, if I can find shoes that work.

Any ideas?

Edited by Spryte

Would the Birkenstock shoes you currently have go with a dark colored long wool coat? I typically go all dark brown/espresso or dark blue/navy for somber events since I don’t own anything black. 
I wear EU34 as well and Nordstrom Rack tends to carry the smaller sizes in store and puts them in the size 4 and size 5 racks.

5 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Can you wear Dansko type clogs? I know they have a bigger toe box and I think they can look cute with skirts, especially with tights.

I think their clogs requires a little bending of the big toe joints which OP has difficulty with.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry for your loss. I have the same issue which has recently become worse, especially in my left foot, after working for years in a bakery in my twenties and thirties and having multiple pans dropped on my toes. (They always seemed to land in the same spot!) I'm ok with any kind of extra wide flat shoe as long as the shoe doesn't push down on the top of the joint. I recently managed a kitten heel boot from Comfortview at a wedding for 8 hours. I did have pain the next day in my left toe though, but it was worth it to me. I'm not sure if they have the smaller sizes though... I don't do well with a very rigid and pronounced arch, like in clogs due to other foot issues. It literally took me 6 weeks and multiple shoe orders and returns to find a decent dress shoe/boot that I could handle. I'm keeping a pair that I didn't end up using, and ordering a few different types from the Comfortview brand so I don't have to go through this stress again! So my advice: if you do find a brand or type of shoe that works well, order extra for future events. 

I was going to try these, but it wouldn't have made it on time: https://empressaustralia.com/products/the-square-toe-flat

I don't think they will be small enough for you though. Good luck on your search!

• Thanks 1

Are either of your shoes dark? I would just wear dark tights with whatever shoes work best for you and pants or a skirt. Birkenstocks are pretty popular right now so if you Google dressed up Birkenstock images maybe you’ll get some ideas. 

If you can wear the flared leg pants trend, they could cover up a good bit of a dark running shoe. 

• Like 1

First, wear whatever you need to wear. You being there is most important.  Second, sneakers look best when they are brand new, so if you could swing a new pair that would be great.  Third, they have Nike revolutions in black on black, which would look extra sharp.  I would wear with dark grey trousers and a black sweater, and add some tasteful jewelry.  Finally, wear whatever you need to wear and don’t feel guilty for a second. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

First, wear whatever you need to wear. You being there is most important.  Second, sneakers look best when they are brand new, so if you could swing a new pair that would be great.  Third, they have Nike revolutions in black on black, which would look extra sharp.  I would wear with dark grey trousers and a black sweater, and add some tasteful jewelry.  Finally, wear whatever you need to wear and don’t feel guilty for a second. 

Yes, this. This is what I meant to start with. 
So sorry for your loss. You being there is the most important thing. Wear what you feel most comfortable in. I’m not sure where you live, but here funerals and viewings have a very diverse dress code turnout. You’ll be fine in whatever you wear. 

• Like 3

I also wear Nike Revolutions with good luck. 

Dansko only goes down to 35. 

Because the plates are so expensive, I'd be looking for a really classic shoe that you could wear with a lot. (I'm in the same boat, my orthotic inserts are often the price of the shoe.)

https://www.zappos.com/p/stride-rite-sr-ainsley-little-kid-big-kid-black/product/9381585/color/3  A bit plain, but Stride Rites wear amazingly, and as a brand tends to have a wide toe box.

https://www.zappos.com/p/dr-martens-kids-collection-maccy-mary-jane-little-kid-black-patent-lamper/product/8259242/color/168593 a bit funkier version of the above, but again, long wear times. These naturally don't have much dorsiflexion, but they also won't stretch as much through the toe box to accommodate odd angles.

My best advice, after this crisis point, is to find a small shoe shop, probably independently owned, that deals with orthotic shoes.  My local guy owns a variety of shoe stretching equipment, so he can semi-custom my shoes to me since my feet are a mess. He's also willing to order in odd sizes and such. I always pay about $150/pair for shoes, which is an investment, but the few pairs I do own fit, and wear for years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom2samlibby said:

I would recommend Allegria shoes. 

Do you need to find a dress? Or could you wear dress pants & a nice blouse?

I think they’d be worth a try, too. I recently got some I like, which are really cute and definitely have a big toebox.

• Like 1

My go-to outfit now for just about any occasion is a pair of Merrell Encore Breeze slip on shoes (I have a pair in black and one that's black leather) and black LL Bean perfect fit pants. Then I try to add an appropriately festive or solemn top.

That's it. Unless or until one of my offspring marries and has some sort of formal(sh) ceremony that's all I'm doing. I hurt to some degree all the time. I'm not going to make that worse on the unlikely chance anyone whose opinion I care about is paying any attention to what I wear (which isn't likely, because who that I care about would care how I'm dressed?). I prioritize being as comfortable as possible.

I'm so sorry about your friend. 😞 

• Like 2

When I NEED to wear Birkenstocks, I wear the darkest possible ones, and with long socks or tights in the same or a slightly darker color.  This disguises the Birks pretty well if I am wearing a long and/or flowy skirt or dress, or long wide legged pants.  

I agree that Dansko would be ideal, because their soles are absolutely rigid, but I find that I have to wear their sandals, because my big toenails hit the ends on the clogs.  I use the Sophia style, and again, dark sandals with socks or tights of the same color.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I ordered two pairs of Allegria shoes, but alas the 35s are just a tad big. I was hopeful they’d work with my insoles. Such a bummer because I really like them, and can tell they are comfy.

I ended up in horribly uncomfortable riding boot style flat boots that I grabbed curbside at Macy’s, with a dress from the closet. I used Voltaren gel and took Advil in advance, wore my Nikes until we arrived, and the moment we got back in car.

It was fine, but I am on a mission for a pair of nice tall flat boots that will last forever and work with hallux rigidus — which kind of feels like my toes are petrifying at this point, aaack! Petrified toes. Ha!

Thanks so much, all.

• Like 2