Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

My kiddo applied for CCS, but she blew it and missed the supplements that one has to fill out after they apply. So, she got her second choice major instead. I think she would have adored CCS, but I don’t think the school overall was the right fit for her.

ETA: I do remember feeling like if you have a lot of DE and AP, it might not be the greatest fit. I remember looking at the course selections and thinking that she already had half of it covered. I may have that wrong though—just might be worth checking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom said:

@Roadrunner @rzberrymom  Did your kiddos both apply to CCS at UCSB? I was wondering if you had thoughts about the program.  My oldest looked at it and rejected it for literature, but my rising senior is heavy into math/physics/computer science and I was wondering if it would be a good fit. 

Yes, my kid was accepted for math and frankly I would rather see him double major at CCS for math/physics than UCLA. We are trying to make the CCS math open house on the 8th. Will report back if we do. CCS has the best advisor for math and physics is also good. I hear from current students chemistry isn’t and neither is computing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes, my kid was accepted for math and frankly I would rather see him double major at CCS for math/physics than UCLA. We are trying to make the CCS math open house on the 8th. Will report back if we do. CCS has the best advisor for math and physics is also good. I hear from current students chemistry isn’t and neither is computing. 

Thank you! I have no idea how next year's admissions will play out, but he really loved the campus at UCSB.  His older sister went to UCLA and the sheer amount of people crammed onto such a small campus posed a lot of trouble for her, and I know it would be compounded for him.   It's really hard when there is literally no place to go cry alone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

My kiddo applied for CCS, but she blew it and missed the supplements that one has to fill out after they apply. So, she got her second choice major instead. I think she would have adored CCS, but I don’t think the school overall was the right fit for her.

ETA: I do remember feeling like if you have a lot of DE and AP, it might not be the greatest fit. I remember looking at the course selections and thinking that she already had half of it covered. I may have that wrong though—just might be worth checking.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.  He will have through Diff EQ, but on the other hand they are all at our local CC which isn't incredibly rigorous.  He hasn't had to study for an exam yet. 🙄  He might end up retaking some of them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.  He will have through Diff EQ, but on the other hand they are all at our local CC which isn't incredibly rigorous.  He hasn't had to study for an exam yet. 🙄  He might end up retaking some of them. 

We decided not to retake and just go for upper level courses to take advantage of smaller class sizes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Someone MUST have Ivy Day news, right? RIGHT!? Out with it, Hive. 

Signed, 

Parent of a rising 9th grader, who needs hope that this will all turn out ok  😉

I would pick up Frank Bruni’s Where You Go is Not Who You’ll Be. I *promise* you will come away from it knowing that this will all turn out ok!!!

Edited by rzberrymom
Silly autocorrect
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

7pm EST for Ivies apparently https://www.collegeconfidential.com/ivy-day/

UCB is also out today at the same time apparently 

Longest day of most of those kids' lives. I remember getting TMJ just from stress during the week bar exam results came out. I don't envy those kids, staring at the clock right now. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Someone MUST have Ivy Day news, right? RIGHT!? Out with it, Hive. 

Signed, 

Parent of a rising 9th grader, who needs hope that this will all turn out ok  😉

Everything will turn out OK 🙂

Signed, 

Parent of a homeschooled college freshman and a graduating homeschooled high school senior 

That said - DD is waitlisted at Dartmouth. 

And rejected by Brown.

Neither would have been possible financially and, like all the Ivy schools, huge reaches. But every kid deserves to indulge in their dreams. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gstharr said:

To all waiting for April 1st, there as been an update: The Office of Undergraduate Admission will release decisions to Regular Decision and deferred applicants on Friday, March 31, 2023 at 4 p.m. (Pacific Time). 

tick tick tick tick

• Like 1

To all waiting for April 1st, there as been an update: The Office of Undergraduate Admission will release decisions to Regular Decision and deferred applicants on Friday, March 31, 2023 at 4 p.m. (Pacific Time). 

I guess they might not want to be the subject of April Fools Day memes 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What college or university is this from?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frances said:

What college or university is this from?

The whole text can be searched using Google 

1 hour ago, gstharr said:

The clue Frances one.

🤣 if google is correct, it is my other nearby friendly private university that has a lovely art museum. Did your son get in? I use them for my healthcare. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The whole text can be searched using Google 

🤣 if google is correct, it is my other nearby friendly private university that has a lovely art museum. Did your son get in? I use them for my healthcare. 

He went 4 for 5. Harvard reject. Final decision is his to make.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 is accepted to University of California, Santa Cruz for computer science

We have 3 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 2 rejections and 5 more to wait. 

I should be thankful DS18 rarely hike as he gets hives (referring to spycar’s tick thread in chat). USCS has 🦌 deers and is nearer home.

Wow, there are schools that have not notified yet?!!! Do they have May 1 confirmation deadlines? 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:56 AM, Roadrunner said:

Same here but zero aid, making it completely unaffordable for us. I think Case so far is our most expensive option by much. 😞 

It's pretty expensive, I agree. It's still on our list mostly because DS might need a smaller school and there's a 3-credit difference between aero and mech and having both degrees would be more flexible.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, idnib said:

It's pretty expensive, I agree. It's still on our list mostly because DS might need a smaller school and there's a 3-credit difference between aero and mech and having both degrees would be more flexible.

My husband and I went to our country of origin’s flagship university for engineering. The engineering school felt like a school within a school for my introvert husband. My civil engineering department and the mechanical engineering department were small and felt like a village. Electrical engineering was large in comparison so my husband didn’t even know his EE schoolmates well. Me being an extrovert went round making friends all over the huge campus. DS18 also look at engineering schools as school within a school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idnib said:

Yes we loved that school for DS as well because of flexibility in addition to strong programs in the field he is interred. For us the cost is double from the state option and that’s after the substantial merit. 😞 

I am happy for your DS! I think it’s an amazing school. 

• Like 1

And, we have a decision. University of Vermont, but he's going to take another gap year. Woo. And also hoo. I'm glad he made a decision of some sort. I give it fifty/fifty that he even actually attends, lol. He did really, really like Vermont.

Adding that with merit aid and other stuff, it's our second cheapest option, so, bonus. Only University of NH was cheaper. And UNH was soooooo cheap that I had to triple check the numbers. 

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 20