Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes, I am telling my kid who has had his share of deferrals by now that it just means you get another chance at acceptance. It still hurts though. 😞 

I'm so sorry 😞. I know it stings/hurts and this process is brutal for so many :-(. Hang in there mama!

Edited by mlktwins
Fixing typos
  • Like 5

First, let me say congratulations to everyone's kids who have been accepted to college already.  And to the parents who facilitated the homeschooling. You all deserve a big round of applause. You were the teacher, the educational coordinator, the guidance counselor, the afterschool activity director, and the mom/dad/support team.  I was humbled by the experience.

And I have to say that it is very nice to scroll past all of the pinned "Motherlode" college conversations! Those lists always scared me because there seemed to be so much to do and so much that didn't match up with my kids.  But I tried to remember and embrace SWB's advice on not making a decision from a position of fear. I had to remind myself repeatedly that it was OK that we didn't do many things on the list. With both my kids, a wave of relief came with their first letter of acceptance. Over the years, many friends and acquaintances would ask, "But what about college?" What could I say? Do any of us really know what to expect without going through it first?

I am so proud of dd.  She has worked very hard but has remained true to her passions along the way. That is one thing I loved about homeschooling - the ability for the kids to grow into themselves. She had to make a film for one of the schools, and she showcased how homeschooling impacted her. It was very touching.   

Agnes Scott (scholarship)

Beloit (Presidential Scholarship)

Earlham (scholarship with additional scholarships pending)

Emerson (scholarship for film)

Hampshire College (scholarship)

Lawrence University (scholarship with additional scholarships pending)

Oglethorpe (with an invitation to scholarship weekend for theater and leadership)

Sarah Lawrence  (scholarship)

St. Olaf (scholarship with additional theater and art scholarships)

• Like 26

Ds just got into Grove City College for Mechanical Engineering.  He also has a scholarship at Lipscomb, which didn't make the list.

We are now just waiting for financial aid from some and to hear about some full tuition scholarships he interviewed for.  We know one school will work out already, so that is a relief.  We have almost made it with number 3.  I'm so relieved I have a break.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

So mine seem to be committed to UCF! They actually decided awhile back, but I was always leaving room for them to change their minds. I still can’t get over how easy they made this process for me 🙂 All going to the same university, and just a couple hours from home. 

Every visit and open house we find more and more to like about UCF (Univ of Central Florida). And now some bragging, please don’t mind!  I’m just so excited for them. All three are confirmed National Merit Finalists, and with the generous NMF scholarships in Florida, will actually get paid to attend college. Woohoo! A dream come true! They also get guaranteed on campus housing if they want it for their time there (which is huge to have in that area), or they can use the money off-campus.  Their on campus dorm will be a 4 br, 2ba apt with full kitchen, close to everything. The current plan is to move into it in August and move out in 4-5 years.  They can keep the same room if they want so no need to ever move out. And they will be in the small Burnett Honors College (around 500 freshman and 2000 overall, so less than 3% of the school), and the even smaller Leadership Scholars cohort.  
They only applied to 3 schools- UCF, USF, and UA. USF actually gave them more money on top of the NMF, and they got UAs top scholarship, so good options. 

I love that we can visit easily. I already bought our season football tickets.  😊

• Like 26

I think the only two I haven't posted that BalletBoy got into are:

University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Redlands

Only one we haven't heard from is Dickinson. He's a huge pendulum on whether he's going to college. But he's narrowed it down to Vermont or Cincinnati, so he's taking a day off from ballet for each (gasp! a day off! from BALLET!? it was like pulling teeth to get him to agree) and is taking the train up to Vermont and I'm hauling him out to Cincinnati. This is probably so he can pick one and defer there.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 17

13 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Only one we haven't heard from is Dickinson. He's a huge pendulum on whether he's going to college. But he's narrowed it down to Vermont or Cincinnati, so he's taking a day off from ballet for each (gasp! a day off! from BALLET!? it was like pulling teeth to get him to agree) and is taking the train up to Vermont and I'm hauling him out to Cincinnati. This is probably so he can pick one and defer there.

What would his major be if he comes to Cincinnati? 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 1:23 PM, matrips said:

So mine seem to be committed to UCF! They actually decided awhile back, but I was always leaving room for them to change their minds. I still can’t get over how easy they made this process for me 🙂 All going to the same university, and just a couple hours from home. 

Every visit and open house we find more and more to like about UCF (Univ of Central Florida). And now some bragging, please don’t mind!  I’m just so excited for them. All three are confirmed National Merit Finalists, and with the generous NMF scholarships in Florida, will actually get paid to attend college. Woohoo! A dream come true! They also get guaranteed on campus housing if they want it for their time there (which is huge to have in that area), or they can use the money off-campus.  Their on campus dorm will be a 4 br, 2ba apt with full kitchen, close to everything. The current plan is to move into it in August and move out in 4-5 years.  They can keep the same room if they want so no need to ever move out. And they will be in the small Burnett Honors College (around 500 freshman and 2000 overall, so less than 3% of the school), and the even smaller Leadership Scholars cohort.  
They only applied to 3 schools- UCF, USF, and UA. USF actually gave them more money on top of the NMF, and they got UAs top scholarship, so good options. 

I love that we can visit easily. I already bought our season football tickets.  😊

Have a friend who went there (and her DH) whom I like! YAY!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

@matripsall this time I thought you were from Massachusetts and liked to travel! Today I find out you have triplets roughly the same age as my twins? 😂 Congratulations on getting them set up for the next big phase. 🎉🎉🎉

I was also wondering how i didn’t know she had triplets 🤣🤣🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Apparently I keep a good secret 🤐 😂

Yes, triplets homeschooled to high school and just really awesome and sweet kids 💕

18 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I was also wondering how i didn’t know she had triplets 🤣🤣🤣.

18 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

@matripsall this time I thought you were from Massachusetts and liked to travel! Today I find out you have triplets roughly the same age as my twins? 😂 Congratulations on getting them set up for the next big phase. 🎉🎉🎉

oh that’s funny!!  well I do like to travel. 🙂

• Like 9

@mathnerd after last year’s rejections, DS18 has two acceptances so far. 

San Jose State University - applied math (transfer, 2nd choice major)

University of California, Riverside - computer science (transfer, 1st choice major)

ETA: we are waiting on 9 more so no idea where he would go. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 26

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

San Jose State University - applied math (transfer)

University of California, Riverside - computer science (transfer)

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Oh, Arcadia, I am SO happy to read this news. I know many of us were utterly shocked and dismayed by the shenanigans that went on last yr with admissions re your DS. I hope this year brings nothing but good news for you both! You all really deserve it. Like so many here, I/my boys have benefited greatly from your wisdom over the years. ❤️ 

• Like 9

🎉🎉🎉

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Oh, Arcadia, I am SO happy to read this news. I know many of us were utterly shocked and dismayed by the shenanigans that went on last yr with admissions re your DS. I hope this year brings nothing but good news for you both! You all really deserve it. Like so many here, I/my boys have benefited greatly from your wisdom over the years. ❤️ 

I agree, this is wonderful news!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Huge Congratulations 🎊🎉🎈 Well done! He will be a graduate very soon!

I have my fingers crossed 🤞🏼 for you guys that more good news comes his way!!

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 6

DS18 was awarded the Regents scholarship for UCR. Its 3k per year for two years, but it’s the priority registration benefits that we are eyeing. Accepting the scholarship doesn’t obligate him to accept the SIR so he has accepted the scholarship.

ETA: rejected from the nearby private university. So now waiting on 8 more. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 23

On 3/6/2023 at 9:58 PM, Arcadia said:

DS18 was awarded the Regents scholarship for UCR. Its 3k per year for two years, but it’s the priority registration benefits that we are eyeing. Accepting the scholarship doesn’t obligate him to accept the SIR so he has accepted the scholarship.

ETA: rejected from the nearby private university. So now waiting on 8 more. 

What is “SIR”?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

What is “SIR”?

Statement of Intent to Register. Our state universities use this term

e.g. https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/after-you-apply/admissions-decisions.html

”Each campus that accepts you for admission will issue you a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) form or direct you to a website where you can declare your intent to register. ”

https://www.calstate.edu/attend/student-services/casper/Pages/statement-of-intent-to-register.aspx
“Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) or Admission Acceptance or Enrollment Confirmation procedures have been instituted by CSU campuses and monetary deposits may be required. Applicants who have been offered admission should notify the campus of their acceptance and if required, make a deposit by the specified campus deadline.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

University of New Hampshire, DD pgr (scholarship)

University of Vermont, DD pgr (scholarship)

updated info re: University of Maine, DD pgr  - she's also accepted to the Honors College 

Still waiting on the rest

• Like 14

On 2/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, Malam said:

If you could go back, what are some of the things on the list you would have done?

Sorry that it took me a while to reply. I wanted to think about this because I kept coming up with "nothing - I wouldn't have done anything differently, except I wish I could take back the time I spent worrying about whether we were doing the right things."  

But worrying about college and whether we were doing the right things also helped me to carefully think through how we did high school - what to let go of, and what to concentrate on.  So, I guess spending some time worrying is actually a good thing.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Dickinson College ds of Farrar

(I love my kid, but in case you needed evidence that this year was on the easy side...)

Congrats!!!!!

But don’t speak too soon about being on the easy side. 😉 I read applications were up modestly again, with an exception of MIT that reconstituted SAT. I just can’t remember where I read it. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Congrats!!!!!

But don’t speak too soon about being on the easy side. 😉 I read applications were up modestly again, with an exception of MIT that reconstituted SAT. I just can’t remember where I read it. 

Apps were up and I expect that the hyper competitive schools will continue to feel random and difficult because they're moonshots and lotteries. But at this point, I feel really confident saying that it was genuinely a little easier on kids, especially at the 30%+ acceptance school level. 

I'll be curious to see the data, and admittedly my kid had a small hook that was specific to Dickinson since he's a male dancer and I am positive they need them, but it was still his big reach and he told them he wasn't applying for dance. But... I think anecdotally it's been an easier year overall.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

@FarrarSmall hook? Are you kidding me? To dance at that level the commitment is insane. It’s like athletes and musicians. There are only so many hours in a day. 

But I say great to an easier year. 🙂 

Absolutely. But for a school where he can't dance, it's just an activity. For a school like Dickinson with a serious dance program that's not a closed conservatory, a boy who can skillfully and safely partner and lift is a hook. Like playing an instrument no one else plays.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Farrar said:

Apps were up and I expect that the hyper competitive schools will continue to feel random and difficult because they're moonshots and lotteries. But at this point, I feel really confident saying that it was genuinely a little easier on kids, especially at the 30%+ acceptance school level. 

I'll be curious to see the data, and admittedly my kid had a small hook that was specific to Dickinson since he's a male dancer and I am positive they need them, but it was still his big reach and he told them he wasn't applying for dance. But... I think anecdotally it's been an easier year overall.

Do you foresee this continuing for a while? I do. I think the pool of available admits is shrinking so casting wider/broader nets, especially with LACs seems wise.

• Like 1

Are there just fewer kids or fewer kids choosing a traditional 4yr college path, or both?

Anecdotally, I know many families who had college aged kids during the worst of covid whose kids found alternate ways to pursue education, training, and careers. But is that more of a thing now or not? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Are there just fewer kids or fewer kids choosing a traditional 4yr college path, or both?

Anecdotally, I know many families who had college aged kids during the worst of covid whose kids found alternate ways to pursue education, training, and careers. But is that more of a thing now or not? 

From what I’ve read, it’s mostly because there are fewer kids. More of them, as a percentage, seem to be attending some kind of post-secondary ed but there weren’t as many kids to start with. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I found this… gifted. Seems like a roadmap for those seeking quality and financial aid. DS has two of those states on his (VERY) preliminary list.

https://wapo.st/42lvDZt

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

On 3/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, Roadrunner said:

Applications are up. Admissions rates haven’t gone up. 

People are definitely applying to a lot more places for their second and subsequent children than firstborn. Fear in parents are going up. It was rare pre pandemic to hear parents willing to pay applications for all UCs, all CSUs, a few OOS public universities and a few privates. Now it’s becoming more like buying California lottery and parents just pay up. Friends are hiring college consultants for second kids out of fear. 

DS18 was only willing to apply to nearer ones last year so he applied to only 6. Our backup was community college so it was less scary. This year he applied to 11 because he knows it’s lottery chance and he has to worry about distance later.  He doesn’t do sports, doesn’t play in an orchestra/ensemble, has no ECAs, do have relevant volunteer work but not a leadership position, doesn’t have a high GPA. So we are glad he has choices but I do worry for DS17 who has a lower GPA, no relevant volunteer work and less subjects that he is strong at. 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:02 AM, ScoutTN said:

For the community college that my kids attend, there are many in DS18’s classes  that either didn’t get any freshman acceptance last year like him or they were accepted into a college that they didn’t want to go to either due to finances or personal reason. So these kids are going the transfer path. There is a volunteer who volunteers similar times as me who said she doesn’t want the horror of freshmen applications so she opt to do the TAG (transfer admission guarantee) program at the local community college to the UC she wants for the major she wants. The major she wants is part of TAG for the UC she wants. 

Edited by Arcadia
autocorrect errors
  • Like 5