Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

I looked and didn't see a thread for this. Please let me know if I'm duplicating and I will delete! Reading and posting on the various college threads has made me want to see a summary as we go through this process together. 

Copying the way @RootAnn did this a few years ago. 

I will "like" your post when I update this list, so when you get your "like," check this first post to make sure I didn't mess something up.
Instead of having a separate list view, I'll try to keep this first post updated. with:  Name of college/university (please don't abbreviate because I don't necessarily know OSU is Oklahoma vs Ohio for example), DD vs. DS, and any scholarships/honors/special notes.
Bolded: where kids have decided to attend.

Agnes Scott College - Dd of Sneezyone (scholarship), Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
Anderson University (SC) - Ds of Ruby Penn (scholarships)
Arizona State University - Ds of JD1
Arkansas State University - Dd of Busymom5
Baylor University - Ds of h2bh
Beloit College - Dd of threedogfarm (Presidential scholarship)
Blue Mountain Christian University - Dd of ByGrace3.  (athletic scholarship)
California State Polytechnic University Pomona - Ds of idnib
Calvin University - Ds of Freesia
Carnegie Mellon University - Ds of JD1
Case Western Reserve University - Ds of idnib  (University scholarship)
Cedarville University - Ds of Freesia (scholarship, honors), Ds of h2bh (scholarship), Ds of Meredith 
Christopher Newport University - Ds1 and Ds2 of mlktwins (Honors College and scholarships)
Colby College - Dd of pgr 
Columbia State Community College - Ds of Susan in TN
Columbia University - Ds of Halcyon
Colorado College - Dd of Miss Tick
Dickinson College - Ds of Farrar
Drexel University - Dd of Miss Tick
Earlham College - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Ds of idnib (Presidential scholarship) 
Emerson College - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
Emory University - Dd of Lilaclady
George Mason University - Ds1 and
Ds2 of mlktwins.(scholarship)
Georgia Tech - Dd of Lilaclady (scholarship)
Grinnell College - Ds of Roadrunner (scholarship), Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
Grove City College - Ds of Freesia
Hampshire College - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarships)
Haverford College - Ds of Roadrunner
Hillsdale College - Ds of h2bh (scholarship), Ds of Meredith (scholarship)
Hollins University - Dd of Sneezyone (scholarship)
Indiana University - Dd of Miss Tick
James Madison University - Ds1 of mlktwins, Ds2 of mlktwins
Kent State - Dd of Sneezyone
Lawrence University - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship), Dc of Catz (Accepted to Conservatory, scholarship)
Lee University - Ds of Ruby Penn
LeTourneau University - Ds of Freesia (scholarship)
Lipscomb University - Ds of Freesia (scholarship)
Longwood University - Ds1 and Ds2 of mlktwins
MIT - Ds of Gstharr
Messiah University - Ds of Freesia
Miami University (Ohio) - Dd of Miss Tick
Middle TN State University -Ds of Susan in TN
Moody Bible Institute - Ds of Freesia
Mount Holyoke College - Dd of pgr
New College Franklin - Dd of Nam2001 (scholarship)
Norfolk State University - Dd of Sneezyone (NROTC scholarship)
Oberlin College - Dd of Eos
Oglethorpe University - Dd of threedogfarm
Old Dominion University - Ds1 and Ds2 of mlktwins (scholarships)
Purdue University - Ds of Miss Tick, Ds of Meredith
Roanoke College - Ds1 and Ds2 of mlktwins (scholarships)
Rochester Institute of Technology - Ds of Miss Tick
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - Ds of Roadrunner
Rutgers University - Ds of Farrar
Samford University - Dd of ScoutTN     (scholarships, Honors)
San Jose State University - Ds of idnib, Ds of Arcadia
Santa Clara University - Ds of JD1
Sarah Lawrence College - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
St. Olaf College - Dd of threedogfarm (scholarship)
Southern Methodist University - Ds of JD1 (scholarship)
Tennessee Tech  - Dd of ScoutTN (scholarships)
Texas Christian University - Ds of h2bh (scholarship)
Trinity University - Ds of JD1
Union University - Dd of ScoutTN (scholarships), Ds of Susan in TN
University of AL - Ds of h2bh (scholarship)
University of Alabama at Huntsville - Ds of strawberries  (scholarship and Honors), Ds of idnib
University of Arizona - Ds and Dd of Miss Tick
University of CA, Berkeley - Dd of rzberrymom
University of California, Davis - Dd of rzberrymom (Honors, scholarship), Ds of Roadrunner
University of CA, Los Angeles - Ds of RoadrunnerDd of rzberrymom
University of California, Riverside - Ds of Arcadia (scholarship)
University of CA, San Diego - Ds of Roadrunner, Dd of rzberrymom
University of CA, Santa Barbara - Dd of rzberrymom
University of CA, Santa Cruz - Ds of idnib, Ds of Arcadia
University of Central FL - 2Ds and 1 Dd of matrips (NMSf)
University of Cincinnati - Ds of Miss Tick, Ds of Farrar
University of Colorado, Boulder - Ds of idnib
University of Denver - Dd and Ds of Miss Tick
University of Georgia - Dd of Lilaclady (scholarship)
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - Ds of EmilyGF (scholarship, Honors)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst - Ds of Farrar
University of Maine - Dd of pgr (scholarship, Honors)
University of Mary Washington - Ds1 and Ds2 of mlktwins (scholarships and honors college)
University of Michigan- Ds of Meredith
University of New Hampshire - Ds of Farrar, Dd of pgr (scholarship)
University of Oklahoma - Ds of Lecka
University of Puget Sound - Ds of Farrar
University of Redlands - Ds of Farrar
University of TN Chattanooga - Dd of ScoutTN
University of TX, Dallas - Ds of strawberries 
University of Vermont - Ds of Farrar, Dd of pgr (scholarship)
University of Virginia - Ds of h2bh
Valparaiso University - Ds of Miss Tick
Western Carolina University - Dd of Sneezyone.
William and Mary - Ds of JD1

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 24

I think I did start one in August, but it hasn’t gone anywhere. I also don’t have the time to do the running list. So I release my thread to you. I will try to update/delete it tomorrow. It’s on the college board. 

Si far ds is into Cedarville University and Letourneau. He received nice scholarships from both. 

• Like 10

We have some more:
Messiah University , ds of Freesia

Calvin University , ds of Freesia

Lipscomb University, ds of Freesia

We are in the confusion of keeping all the threads of offers and more to do. He’s been invited to apply for honors at a few of the colleges. He thinks he’s set up admitted student portals, but I don’t think he has. He is not great with this kind of detail and, while we are working on him keeping track of his life and obligations, I am helping a lot with this because he really needs as much scholarships money as he can get. 

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

@freesia When all the dust has settled in the spring, I would love to hear how you and your Ds make/made your choice. Besides money, what are the most important things for him?  

I will keep you updated. Right now he wants a Christian college and one that’s not too big. We are still waiting on Grove City which he lived when we visited. However, if a miracle happens and we get the money over and above tuition and room and board, he really wants to go to an aviation program. So, that would be LeTourneau most likely. The flight lab fees would be something like $125000 or so extra, and not covered with standard financial aid. So, it’s not looking good. But the original plan was mechanic engineering—he could work a few years and learn to fly then. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, freesia said:

I will keep you updated. Right now he wants a Christian college and one that’s not too big. We are still waiting on Grove City which he lived when we visited. However, if a miracle happens and we get the money over and above tuition and room and board, he really wants to go to an aviation program. So, that would be LeTourneau most likely. The flight lab fees would be something like $125000 or so extra, and not covered with standard financial aid. So, it’s not looking good. But the original plan was mechanic engineering—he could work a few years and learn to fly then. 

We know two young men who finished college and are learning to fly while working. One did engineering, the other communications. One is taking a military path and the other not. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, freesia said:

When I was Mechanical Engineering undergraduate (at a school with no Aero program) there was a flying club that I joined for a small amount and then had access to the plane they owned for a few hours a month. It was a long time ago, but if he is interested in getting his license, that would be something to watch for. My funds ran out about the same time I got my license. Best of luck to him!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

When I was Mechanical Engineering undergraduate (at a school with no Aero program) there was a flying club that I joined for a small amount and then had access to the plane they owned for a few hours a month. It was a long time ago, but if he is interested in getting his license, that would be something to watch for. My funds ran out about the same time I got my license. Best of luck to him!

What a great idea! Thank you. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 5:24 PM, freesia said:

DS is also interested in aerospace and aviation, and one of the schools he applied to charges quite a bit for the flight instruction. I've heard that students often take as many flying hours as they can during the summer at more reasonable local airport prices to offset some of the cost. It might be something to look into.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS is also interested in aerospace and aviation, and one of the schools he applied to charges quite a bit for the flight instruction. I've heard that students often take as many flying hours as they can during the summer at more reasonable local airport prices to offset some of the cost. It might be something to look into.

That’s good to know. Our local airport does have a program. All flying fees would be “extra” for us, so it will still take a miracle. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Acceptances to Roanoke College - ds1 and ds2 (scholarship for both)

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 on a roll!!!!

Congrats!!!!

We are praying here for something to come in, anything,  so we can start breathing. I can imagine the excitement at your house right now! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 on a roll!!!!

Congrats!!!!

We are praying here for something to come in, anything,  so we can start breathing. I can imagine the excitement at your house right now! 

They will come soon!!! I’m sure of it! These are way sooner than expected.

They are excited and relieved. I cried when the first one came in.  Now I am feeling validated 🤣🤣🤣!

The most selective school they applied to EA will come last, of course!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, cintinative said:

Stupid question but is it typical to hear about scholarships when you receive your acceptance letter? Or is it only certain ones?

5 hours ago, mlktwins said:

So far, in our experience, merit is included in the acceptance letters.

Yes, often it is. Then sometimes they send another letter upping it or give another one. Sometimes the scholarship letter comes completely separately from the acceptances. Sometimes you do need to wait until the total financial aid comes out. So there is no one way. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cintinative said:

Stupid question but is it typical to hear about scholarships when you receive your acceptance letter? Or is it only certain ones?

Not a stupid question at all. 

So far, Dd’s have come separately and those are automatic merit aid. The competitive scholarship application deadlines are approaching for her schools and idk how long those will take. Several use the app/essay to screen and sift. Second level is an interview or a scholarship competition weekend event in Jan or Feb, so definitely spring before we hear. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Nam2001 said:

My dd got accepted and is going to attend New College Franklin in Franklin, TN. She was awarded a 25% of tuition academic scholarship. She’s very excited! 

Hooray for one and done!! Congrats to you and your Dd!! 

First decision on this thread! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, bluemongoose said:

Is it normal to receive acceptances in the fall? I thought it was not until March. Yes, this is our first rodeo. LOL

My first time through also, but the acceptances my seniors have gotten have been from schools with rolling admissions. The other schools have decision dates starting in December and stretching into spring. I'm letting my seniors track the dates because I don't need any more stress in my life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My son was accepted to the University of Oklahoma today.  

It is very likely he will attend there.  Oklahoma City Community College is not off the table, but it is less likely.  

What a relief!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 19

We're waiting for ED & EA results soon.

Dd applied to ed&ea to

Rice University

University of Chicago

Santa Clara University

Southern Methodist University

Trinity University

Arizona State University.(he got accepted to his safety ASU! rolling admits)

• Like 13

4 for 4 so far.

George Mason University for both. Crappy merit offer 🤣! This is local to us, but too much rush hour traffic to commute or DS2 might consider it.

Still waiting for the 4 top choices to come in (a couple of those include honors college apps) and they have one more app to turn in during Christmas break.

Will be glad when everything is in and a decision is made!

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Our acceptances so far:

University of Arizona ds Miss Tick
University of Denver ds Miss Tick
Valparaiso University ds Miss Tick

University of Arizona dd Miss Tick
University of Denver dd Miss Tick
Colorado College dd Miss Tick

Yay for Colorado College! 
We went back and forth in it but in the end got terrified of their 8 week sessions. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Our acceptances so far:

University of Arizona ds Miss Tick
University of Denver ds Miss Tick
Valparaiso University ds Miss Tick

University of Arizona dd Miss Tick
University of Denver dd Miss Tick
Colorado College dd Miss Tick

Woohoo for your kids! Hooray for one decision made! Second one on this thread. Great Christmas present!!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

Miami University (Ohio) DD Miss Tick

Today and tomorrow she is going to figure out how to withdraw from consideration at the schools she has applied to or already been accepted at, since she has made her decision. Some schools make it easy, but some are a little harder to figure out.

• Like 17

Probably last one until after the holidays.

University of Mary Washington for both (w/scholarships).

This is probably DS2's choice if he doesn't get into the reach. Still waiting on DS1's top 2 choices + the reach.

I'm so glad I'm only going through this process 1 time 🤣😵😋!

ETA: Plus Honors College acceptances

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 16