Menu

What else would you put in the washing machine with dish towels?

Every week when it comes time to wash dish towels I never have enough for a load. But I can't bring myself to just throw them in with clothes, bath towels, etc. Am I being strange about this? Do you just throw them in with whatever or should I be careful about what they are washed with? (My only concern is having sanitary dish towels- not fear of cleansers on the clothes.)

I will only wash dish towels with cloth napkins or tablecloths, nothing else.

I wash mine on hot too, but I just have a thing about washing kitchen items with anything else.

There was once a very long and very funny thread about this on The Old Boards.

it would seem to me that anything that's on your dishtowels can't be so terrible if your family has already lived through it :-/

I'm assuming you mean the towels you dry your dishes with, not the dishcloths, yes? Well, what kind of germs might be on them that your other clothing would be contaminated somehow?:confused:

it would seem to me that anything that's on your dishtowels can't be so terrible if your family has already lived through it :-/

I'm assuming you mean the towels you dry your dishes with, not the dishcloths, yes? Well, what kind of germs might be on them that your other clothing would be contaminated somehow?:confused:

I'm guessing the question relates more to what might be getting on the dish towels, and transferred to the dishes/kitchen/food, rather than the other way around?

I'm guessing the question relates more to what might be getting on the dish towels, and transferred to the dishes/kitchen/food, rather than the other way around?

Even so, if those "germs" are already living on people in the home, how will it be worse if it's also on the dishtowels?? And what germs are going to survive detergent and the dryer (or hanging outside on a clothesline)?

Every week when it comes time to wash dish towels I never have enough for a load. But I can't bring myself to just throw them in with clothes, bath towels, etc. Am I being strange about this? Do you just throw them in with whatever or should I be careful about what they are washed with? (My only concern is having sanitary dish towels- not fear of cleansers on the clothes.)

I throw anything and everything together in the same wash loads... except if there is poop or vomit involved. Everything comes out clean. These are not the kinds of things I spend any extra time contemplating... but then I don't separate lights and darks either! (And they all come out fine too!) :eek: LOL

Even so, if those "germs" are already living on people in the home, how will it be worse if it's also on the dishtowels?? And what germs are going to survive detergent and the dryer (or hanging outside on a clothesline)?

Well, I don't want to get gross or anything, but the bath towels in my house have things other than germs on them. ;)

I put everything in together. I think the article is a bit alarmist...there are bacteria everywhere and it's just impossible to avoid them. Right now as I type I'm reminded that the dirtiest thing in most offices (and probably homees) is the computer keyboard...one study I saw had more bacteria on the keyboard than on toilet seats.

My only consideration is that I wash my dish towels and dish cloths in hot water. So whatever I wash them with needs to be able to be washed in hot water. Typically, I wash them with our bath towels, or else do a small load of just dish towels.

This question has never entered my mind. I had no idea that people worried about such things. I just throw them in with whatever load matches their color.

Of course, I've been known to use my bath towel more than once, too. So, you may not want to listen to my opinion. ;)

We're all more than just "still alive". We're quite healthy, actually. I can guarantee that your family will not suffer from you throwing your dish cloths and towels in with the rest of your wash. Assuming your washer is working properly, everything will come out clean.

• 1 month later...

No surprises there. It's why I still wash clothes the way Mom taught me. Her way included lots of hot or warm water (and bleach for whites). I use cold water only for things that require it. Dish towels & cloths are a separate (albeit small) bleached load.

Here's an article about bacteria, viruses and laundry:

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/lurking.htm