Menu

September Craft thread?

Melissa in Australia

I figured up my sewing machine and made 2 tshirts this weekend for my ydd. Now I'm cutting long sleeve shirts for my older 2 kids. I want to put in a partial button placket, so I've been getting myself psyched up watching tutorials online and reading instructions. 

I'm also knitting a double-knit blanket square for a long term project with squares for favorite books. I'm currently working on one that should look like a Rick Steve's travel book when I'm finished. I have a dozen squares already done, but I probably need at least 20, so it will be a few more years. Then I have to connect them all....

What about you? Another fabulous sewing project? Is it a harvest season? Building something? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been setting up my Dd old bedroom into a sewing room. I am havi g a huge amount of fun using my old treadle sewing machine to make vintage clothes. 

I finished a vintage style top for dil. She is really into skulls so I used skull fabric. 

I started sewing a reversable waistcoat. Brown Wool on one side and emerald green cotton broadcloth on the other. I am now trying to figure out a reversable closure for the front. Suggestions welcome

• Like 6

I'm working on a Cheshire cat cross stitch. @stephanier.1765 shared the etsy shop a couple of weeks ago. I'm missing a couple of color of floss somehow hence the blank spots. I ordered them and they should be here tomorrow. Also coming tomorrow are the supplies to do an Oregon trail inspired sampler. Can't wait for the UPS man tomorrow lol!

I haven't cross stitched since ds24 was about 4 or 5 years old so it has been a bit of a relearning curve. I'm enjoying it though!

image.thumb.jpeg.460c14f5b01ce2652fb259b0db0e83d2.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just now, sweet2ndchance said:

I'm working on a Cheshire cat cross stitch. @stephanier.1765 shared the etsy shop a couple of weeks ago. I'm missing a couple of color of floss somehow hence the blank spots. I ordered them and they should be here tomorrow. Also coming tomorrow are the supplies to do an Oregon trail inspired sampler. Can't wait for the UPS man tomorrow lol!

I haven't cross stitched since ds24 was about 4 or 5 years old so it has been a bit of a relearning curve. I'm enjoying it though!

image.thumb.jpeg.460c14f5b01ce2652fb259b0db0e83d2.jpeg

Looks great

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I figured up my sewing machine and made 2 tshirts this weekend for my ydd. Now I'm cutting long sleeve shirts for my older 2 kids. I want to put in a partial button placket, so I've been getting myself psyched up watching tutorials online and reading instructions. 

I'm also knitting a double-knit blanket square for a long term project with squares for favorite books. I'm currently working on one that should look like a Rick Steve's travel book when I'm finished. I have a dozen squares already done, but I probably need at least 20, so it will be a few more years. Then I have to connect them all....

What about you? Another fabulous sewing project? Is it a harvest season? Building something? 

That sounds like fun

• Like 1

I have actually been working on a quilling project for the last week and a half. I mean, it's a project I started a LONG time ago, but I've actually found/made time to work on it again. I'm at a point where I can see quick progress, which is motivating. Maybe another week like this and then I'll hit another tedious portion, so we'll see if the motivation holds up. 😉

It is a Narnia themed piece. Currently I'm working on Mr. Tumnus, and I have never put so many pins in such a small section of a project. 😄

PXL_20220901_005035501.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Yay! I'm so glad you are enjoying yourself. I find it very relaxing, well until I find a mistake and then all the brain cells loose their cohesion. LOL 

I keep forgetting to take my list of thread with me to the store to I grab the few I don't have so I haven't started mine yet. but I'm really looking forward to it. My fingers are itching to get busy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

I have actually been working on a quilling project for the last week and a half. I mean, it's a project I started a LONG time ago, but I've actually found/made time to work on it again. I'm at a point where I can see quick progress, which is motivating. Maybe another week like this and then I'll hit another tedious portion, so we'll see if the motivation holds up. 😉

It is a Narnia themed piece. Currently I'm working on Mr. Tumnus, and I have never put so many pins in such a small section of a project. 😄

PXL_20220901_005035501.PORTRAIT.jpg

That is really neat. I had no idea how quilling was actually done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Cool! Last spring I knit these sugar skull socks. Somehow the artist dyed the wool in such a way that once I figured out the correct gauge, the pattern emerged in it's own.

That is seriously so cool! What a fun project. I have tried and tried to learn how to knit so I'm already in awe of those that can but this is just incredible.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have been setting up my Dd old bedroom into a sewing room. I am havi g a huge amount of fun using my old treadle sewing machine to make vintage clothes. 

I finished a vintage style top for dil. She is really into skulls so I used skull fabric. 

I started sewing a reversable waistcoat. Brown Wool on one side and emerald green cotton broadcloth on the other. I am now trying to figure out a reversable closure for the front. Suggestions welcome

I'm presently working on transitioning my son's old room into a sewing/craft room. It is taking so long for all kinds of reasons but I can't wait for it to be done and to be able to get busy on fun projects like your top for your DIL. I bet she's going to love it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

That is really neat. I had no idea how quilling was actually done!

Different quillers have different methods! Some don't use pins at all. If I'm doing something more abstract I don't use them. Here's my current setup, in case you're curious. 🙂 (The drawings are not the whole project, just the parts I'm working on right now.)

PXL_20220906_005145085.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I just sewed a mother and toddler set of aprons. Red/cream stripe ticking on one side and then they each chose their own fabrics for the other side. The toddler apron has velcro on the neck strap and waist, so it's safe, quick to do up, and allows more adjustment for growth.

aprons.jpg

aprons1.jpg

• Like 20

I have 2 weddings (1shower) and a baby shower in the next couple weeks. I am crocheting afghans for the weddings and a baby gift. 
I have sewn cloth napkins for the wedding shower and my sister is making a rope basket to put them in.

I am also seeing hooded towels for the baby shower.

in a crazy moment last week when I realized one wedding Afghan was almost done and I didn’t the 2 one until late October, I bought yarn to crochet a fall Afghan for myself. 🤣

I do have a pile of fabric waiting to be sewn into warmer sweaters and tops for winter. My serger was in the shop waiting on a part all summer , so I am very behind in my sewing . 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am working on Christmas presents.  I completed the doll a few weeks ago, but I am slowly building her a wardrove (undies and sleeping gown done last week). I just finished the coat, hat and boots this week. I learned to crochet a year a go so many people will be getting hats, scarfs/cowls, fingerless gloves, (etc) for Christmas 😆... I am working on a Toddler crochet blanket for a family member right now. 

doll.jpg

• Like 19

4 hours ago, StillStanding said:

I am working on Christmas presents.  I completed the doll a few weeks ago, but I am slowly building her a wardrove (undies and sleeping gown done last week). I just finished the coat, hat and boots this week. I learned to crochet a year a go so many people will be getting hats, scarfs/cowls, fingerless gloves, (etc) for Christmas 😆... I am working on a Toddler crochet blanket for a family member right now. 

doll.jpg

That looks fabulous - the doll and the clothes! At one point when DD#1 was younger I got materials to make her a doll, but I chickened out and bought one instead. 😄 I am very impressed!

• Like 1

I love all these projects! I had not done anything for a long time, but recently pulled out my counted cross stitch stuff and did a small picture for my daughter. That led to us finding a bunch of free patterns at dmc.com, and I'm working on a gingerbread house snow globe for her. I don't really love it, actually, but she loves "things in things" (snowglobes, dried flowers or other items under a cloche) so here we are.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see it. They have so many free patterns, not just cross stitch but crewel embroidery as well. I have a lot of fabric and floss so haven't had to buy any supplies yet.

https://www.dmc.com/us/gingerbread-house-9011342.html#null

I actually love this one more, and hope to make that soonish.  https://www.dmc.com/us/folk-bird-pattern-9009845.html#null

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

That looks fabulous - the doll and the clothes! At one point when DD#1 was younger I got materials to make her a doll, but I chickened out and bought one instead. 😄 I am very impressed!

Thank you! The first time I saw a Waldorf style doll, I fell in love with them. I learned to make them when my girls were little. I used this book: Making Dolls by Sunnhild Reinckens. If you ever decide you want to learn how to make them, there are a lot if good videos on Youtube to teach you (they helped me to make better dolls.😜).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StillStanding said:

doll.jpg

That is so cute 

• Like 1

Nothing exciting but I started making a curtain for my kitchen. There are a couple doors with windows in my kitchen and they have temporary coverings on them right now. I had to iron, measure, cut, fold some seams and press… and that’s as far as I got lol dd is here and my dad is coming to visit tomorrow so I may not finish this weekend. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Nothing exciting but I started making a curtain for my kitchen. There are a couple doors with windows in my kitchen and they have temporary coverings on them right now. I had to iron, measure, cut, fold some seams and press… and that’s as far as I got lol dd is here and my dad is coming to visit tomorrow so I may not finish this weekend. 

I am sure it will look absolutly fabulous. All the prep takes at least 3/4 of the time for the project. At least it does for me. The actual sewing part goes pretty quick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, the harvest is kind of kicking my hind end this month so I have not gotten much done besides apples, apples, apples, and more apples intermixed with freezing more broccoli, and canning tomatoes.

But, I did make a table runner today, and managed to completely mess up so I had seams to rip, and didn't buy enough of the backing material to make it the way I had planned. It is on the table, however, I am NOT posting a picture. Sigh. Really not happy. 

So here is a pic of my dehydrated apples. Not a craft, but a couple of pints are being given as homemade gifts. Oh wait, I did manage four cloth napkins.

20220910_151935.jpg

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I made ds a shirt this weekend. It is based on the Do It Better Yourself Club's free ABB Men's Tee pattern. I added cuffs and a partial button placket. I'm pleased with the result! Now I'll do one for dd with a similar fabric in green. 🤞

That's amazing! It looks so much better than a store bought shirt. Wow!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LinRTX said:

I hope you don't mind if I share something I finished in August. I made it for my daughter who just got her math degree in May and then moved across the country. I call it the not pi scarf because she said all math majors get items with pi.

20220818_101717.jpg

Euler's Number! (I had to Google it) Very cool!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinRTX said:

I hope you don't mind if I share something I finished in August. I made it for my daughter who just got her math degree in May and then moved across the country. I call it the not pi scarf because she said all math majors get items with pi.

I love that! That's the kind of gift you want to keep forever. What a truly thoughtful idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Did you knit it?

Yes I did. It is double knitting, the reverse is grey with blue numbers, but the numbers are mirrored, so not really readable. It is the second time I have done double knotting, but the other was a coaster, not a 51/2 foot long scarf. It took me about 8 months and so many restarts,

Edited by LinRTX
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, LinRTX said:

Yes I did. It is double knitting, the reverse is grey with blue numbers, but the numbers are mirrored, so not really readable. It is the second time I have done double knotting, but the other was a coaster, not a 51/2 foot long scarf. It took me about 8 months and so many restarts,

Very cool! I've been experimenting with double knitting also. Mirrored writing is tricky to visualize and tricky to chart and then still tricky to pull off! Most of my blanket squares suck with pictures. 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I gave up waiting fro the trim for my waistcoat and decided to do lacing in the front. Dh walked by as I was doing up the lacing and asked. Is that his spare bootlace... Yep it is 

That is seriously cute! I love the lace up look and what a perfect addition to a fall wardrobe. I love this so much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, marbel said:

I love all these projects! I had not done anything for a long time, but recently pulled out my counted cross stitch stuff and did a small picture for my daughter. That led to us finding a bunch of free patterns at dmc.com, and I'm working on a gingerbread house snow globe for her. I don't really love it, actually, but she loves "things in things" (snowglobes, dried flowers or other items under a cloche) so here we are.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see it. They have so many free patterns, not just cross stitch but crewel embroidery as well. I have a lot of fabric and floss so haven't had to buy any supplies yet.

https://www.dmc.com/us/gingerbread-house-9011342.html#null

I actually love this one more, and hope to make that soonish.  https://www.dmc.com/us/folk-bird-pattern-9009845.html#null

I really love the folk bird pattern. 

• Like 1

Delightful thread.

I bought a gorgeous counted cross-stitch kit several months ago to do my favorite piece of art ever, Van Gogh's Starry Night. I also bought one of those nifty stands for it. It's the biggest cross-stitch I've every approached, though I've done zillions of smaller projects. The intent was to stitch rather than scroll on my phone, LOL. It got tucked away shortly after I started it to keep it safe from major dusty/dirty home renovations. I'd like to bring it out. I'll need dh to help get the stand adjusted properly--when I worked on it before the stand was not the right height and not tight enough. So the goal now is just bring the treasured project OUT--once out, I know I'll fiddle away at it pretty regularly.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Delightful thread.

I bought a gorgeous counted cross-stitch kit several months ago to do my favorite piece of art ever, Van Gogh's Starry Night. I also bought one of those nifty stands for it. It's the biggest cross-stitch I've every approached, though I've done zillions of smaller projects. The intent was to stitch rather than scroll on my phone, LOL. It got tucked away shortly after I started it to keep it safe from major dusty/dirty home renovations. I'd like to bring it out. I'll need dh to help get the stand adjusted properly--when I worked on it before the stand was not the right height and not tight enough. So the goal now is just bring the treasured project OUT--once out, I know I'll fiddle away at it pretty regularly.

Would you mind linking to both the pattern and the stand? I'm curious about both. This is what I use now. My father made me longer side pieces so I have options for length when doing a big piece but your stand sounds like it would be easier on my wrists.