Menu

Do you have strong feelings about contact paper? Chime in!

madteaparty

I just had my old wood kitchen cabinets painted lacquer blue and need to protect the inside a bit as I’m a messy cook and the paint is so pretty (plus my contractor told me never again will he use this paint lol).

is all contact paper created equal? Or do you have clear favorites?

eta that I did a search but these two terms don’t lend themselves to targeted results 🤣

19 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

is all contact paper created equal? Or do you have clear favorites?

eta that I did a search but these two terms don’t lend themselves to targeted results 🤣

Do you mean shelf liners?

15 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If you have any sort of leak under the sink, the water can sit under the contact paper and rot out your cabinet base.......a lovely lesson we learned this year.

We had that happened before as well. Luckily there was a pool of water in front of the sink and we cleaned up the mess before that portion rot.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Do you mean shelf liners?

We had that happened before as well. Luckily there was a pool of water in front of the sink and we cleaned up the mess before that portion rot.

Yes I mean shelf liners, see I’m not familiar with these American terms 🙂 I’ve barely had cabinets before never mind fancy ones 

thank you all. ❤️

I have strong feelings about never, ever applying adhesive-backed products somewhere I might want to remove them from later. I hate the residue that is left. I hate trying to take it off with Goo-Gone or heat or scraping. Shudder. 

I would go with a removable non-adhesive liner if you need one. 🙂 I like being able to just wipe out the inside of my cabinets, no liner necessary, but I also don't mind if the insides get beat up a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yes I do. So we don't use it. Then the jar of molasses broke. Now we have a sticky mess in one of our cupboards. I am really struggling to get the molasses cleaned up. I told dh going forward that molasses, honey, and anything similar must be inside another container in order to go back into the cupboard or we can no longer own those food items. He rolled his eyes shot me. So I said, "Then you go clean it up." 30 minutes later, he still was struggling to get it out of the corners and around the frame. It had oozed everywhere. He isn't rolling his eyes anymore, and asked me what containers I want to get for the replacement molasses. That a boy. Get on board or get out of the way! 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MercyA said:

I have strong feelings about never, ever applying adhesive-backed products somewhere I might want to remove them from later. I hate the residue that is left. I hate trying to take it off with Goo-Gone or heat or scraping. Shudder. 

I would go with a removable non-adhesive liner if you need one. 🙂 I like being able to just wipe out the inside of my cabinets, no liner necessary, but I also don't mind if the insides get beat up a little. 

Yes, Actual contact paper is of the Devil…..lol.  But I do like shelf paper.  I currently have a thick white shelf liner in my dishes area and it is nice and clean looking.  It makes me feel better about using a 50 year old kitchen.

• Haha 1

I have never been able to understand the point of shelf paper for cupboards that don't contain sticky drippy things like the molasses in Faith-manors post. Why do pots or mugs or glasses need this? What makes it different from, say, bookshelves?

( the concept of shelf liners doesn't seem to exist in my home country; at least I have never seen that in anyone's kitchen)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I have never been able to understand the point of shelf paper for cupboards that don't contain sticky drippy things like the molasses in Faith-manors post. Why do pots or mugs or glasses need this? What makes it different from, say, bookshelves?

( the concept of shelf liners doesn't seem to exist in my home country; at least I have never seen that in anyone's kitchen)

The inside of some(not all) my cabinets are raw wood. That’s quite old. You wouldn’t be able to tell from the outside but it is. So if I place  slightly wet things in, the wood would eventually warp, etc.  it’s also not easy to really clean wood (porous, etc). 

i know you will tell me next not to place wet things. I’m not a careful person so I’m trying to set myself up for the possibility of success 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I think I've seen it in 1950s settings in the UK but nothing modern. I just wipe shelves clean as necessary. 

• Like 1

I used shelf liner when I lived in a cheap rental as a newlywed: 1) because I thought that’s what one did, and 2) the cabinets were unable to be cleaned to my satisfaction (roughy wood, stains).

In homes I’ve owned and were able to be cleaned well, nope. Not bothered with it. 

We've just been updating the liners in our cabinets with this 

Shelf Liner, Non-Slip Cabinet Liner, Washable Oil-Proof for Kitchen Cabinet, Shelves, Refrigerator, Storage, Desks, 12 Inches x 20 FT, Non Adhesive Drawers Shelf Liner (12 Inches x 20 FT)… https://a.co/d/3U5zQMC

Got this for under the sink 

Under Sink Mat for Kitchen Cabinet - 34 x 22 Inch Rubber Mat Waterproof, Drip Tray Sink Pan Non Slip Mat Leak Protector, Bathroom Sink Liner Large Silicon Mat, Storage Organizer Water Mat (Grey) https://a.co/d/ij9UHRe

• Like 1