Menu

Only one book for a 9 year old girl

Red Dove

If you could recommend only 1 book to a 9 year old girl, what would it be?

I am going to buy a book for my niece and I can’t narrow it down to just one, so I’m curious as to what you all would choose.  

Edited by Red Dove

I think I'm supposed to say The Secret Garden or A Little Princess, but my favorite is The Last Unicorn. My 9yos favorite it Matilda.

Eta: Oops. The Last Unicorn is 7th grade level. I guess Matilda then.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

What is she into? I'm assuming this is a gift for lesiure?

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Imagination-Making-Chocolate-Factory/dp/0312287771/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OYGOGYNKI7HE&keywords=the+making+of+willy+wonka&qid=1652326942&sprefix=the+making+of+willy+wonka+%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1  My dd loved this book at that age. Any book to go with her favorite movie would be a hit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1547857730/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=1547857730&pd_rd_w=PpenV&pf_rd_p=c201ea52-e52a-4b28-967b-9c2cae823bd5&pd_rd_wg=hOVnO&pf_rd_r=RE1WHKH4PK3PK1VM35DF&pd_rd_r=64ce9f88-8c14-42ff-84ae-f7444de08503  Anything comics or a collection of comics she hasn't read.

Any of the Chicken Socks books on crafting by Klutz.

My dd really liked Chicken Soup inspirational type books and they have some for teens. I have one at the house right now I thought I'd have ds read. Teen Bible study books or books on kindness...

They have collections of short stories by topics (horses, whatever she is into). 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I think I'm supposed to say The Secret Garden or A Little Princess, but my favorite is The Last Unicorn. My 9yos favorite it Matilda.

Ha ha ha! I was thinking about the Secret Garden and The Little Princess….but then thought I wouldn’t pick one of those if I could only choose one book. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Red Dove said:

the Secret Garden

My aunt was a book person and always did books for Christmas and b-days, so the Secret Garden was what I received for a b-day, probably around that age. I tried and tried but didn't really enjoy it. There's so much nice new stuff that is likely to be enjoyed and reread many times. Something kind of feminist or empowering is good and timely. Quirky or useful is good. For classic girl's lit I like Alcott but that's better a little later, closer to 6th. Younger I think go fun. I did really love the Shel Silverstein my aunt gave me, so any kind of poetry is good. Fiery has a wonderful compendium on opera for kids but it's oop.

Had you thought about a kid cookbook? There are some really terrific ones for this age. (BH&G learn to bake, learn to cook) https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Cookbook-Young-Chefs/dp/1492670022/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2SUPXRZDV8J9H&keywords=kids+learn+to+bake&qid=1652342167&sprefix=kids+learn+to+bake%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-19  This is by America's Test Kitches, or Cake Decorating for Beginners would be fun.  https://www.amazon.com/Cake-Decorating-Beginners-Step-Step/dp/1641525894/ref=sr_1_26?crid=2SUPXRZDV8J9H&keywords=kids+learn+to+bake&qid=1652342167&sprefix=kids+learn+to+bake%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-26

• Like 3

If she seems like she would like the Warrior cats by Erin Hunter, my daughter loved them so much at that age.  But it’s not for everybody.  

If not I think I would get some kind of My Little Pony book or comic book.

Or find out what the parents thought about Dork Diaries and maybe get a Dork Diaries book.

I would get any cartoon or character themed book for a youngish kid if they might want a Disney Princess comic book or something, or if they might like Disney Villains I would do that.  

I would also do Neil Gaiman “Coraline” for someone who would like that (my daughter did).

American Girl books for someone who would like that.

Wings of Fire for someone who might like that.  

Other thoughts would be the “Tuesdays at the Castle” series (my niece likes this series at this age) or A Tale Dark and Grimm (there is a Netflix series).  Another thought would be A Series of Unfortunate Events, there is also a Netflix series.

I would also be happy to get any of the “Magic Puppy” type books if those wouldn’t be too young.  There are also “Magic Ponies” and “Magic Kittens.”

I like to gift books I think there is a chance will actually get read.  For some kids they will read anything, and other kids not so much.

For a kid who would read anything, yes, I would pick a more literary book.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

My 13yo says The School Story (Andrew Clements).

My 10yo says On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (Andrew Peterson).

My first thoughts were either The Mysterious Benedict Society (Trenton Lee Stewart) or The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Catherynne M. Valente).

But it really depends on the kid and her interests.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 10:13 PM, HomeAgain said:

This, especially if you can find an illustrated copy.

I must have worn out my copy as a child.  It was my absolute favorite book for several years.

Our first copy fell apart from repeated reading. I found a Library binding copy on Amazon for our second.

Warnings about:

Warrior Cats/Owls of Gahool can be graphic.

Wings has some LGTB [moderator is replacing this word with 'content' to be more in keeping with the culture of this board] in a couple of the later books.

Same with the non- Percy Jackson Rick Riordan books.

Gotta check any book to be sure you are okay with the contents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Our first copy fell apart from repeated reading. I found a Library binding copy on Amazon for our second.

Warnings about:

Warrior Cats/Owls of Gahool can be graphic.

Wings has some LGTB junk in a couple of the later books.

Same with the non- Percy Jackson Rick Riordan books.

Gotta check any book to be sure you are okay with the contents.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Horse and His Boy is our favorite.

I like them all, but am firmly convinced that one’s first entry to Narnia should be through the wardrobe. 

I will be reading THaHB with a tutoring student soon. Looking forward to that. 

• Like 5

On 5/15/2022 at 5:44 PM, ScoutTN said:

I like them all, but am firmly convinced that one’s first entry to Narnia should be through the wardrobe. 

I will be reading THaHB with a tutoring student soon. Looking forward to that. 

Exactly, because if you don't, the rest don't make any sense (although THaHB is a stand-alone in one sense).

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 5:06 PM, Slache said:

I second this!   The Secret Garden and A Little Princess were my favorite book as a child (and The Last Unicorn was my favorite movie...the book is more difficult though).

If I had to choose just one it would be A Little Princess.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, goldenecho said:

I second this!   The Secret Garden and A Little Princess were my favorite book as a child (and The Last Unicorn was my favorite movie...the book is more difficult though).

If I had to choose just one it would be A Little Princess.  

Out of those two, yes.  But I would say it also has to be the version illustrated by Graham Rust.

The illustrations are spot on, unlike other copies.  I must have worn this one out as a kid.

Similarly, my own kid has worn out his copy of The Secret Garden, illustrated by Inga Moore.  The pictures are soft and inviting, and the pages are decorated with small illustrations as well. The pictures feel like a part of the story instead of telling the story.

• Like 1

What is most missing from this child's life?

If I look back to my own childhood, the type of book most missing from my life was drawing books at my level. It was about at age nine that I knew I was not an artist. I wanted to still draw, but I was being mocked and shamed. I stopped drawing at about age 10. I had started copying anything that I saw other children doing that was easy enough to copy, but soon after that, no one drew anything that I could copy. I think most of us stopped drawing at about the same time.

• Like 1