Menu

Advice for sleeping when sick?

Terabith

I felt completely fine at 9 am yesterday.  By 9:30, my head was pounding, my throat was sore, my whole body hurt, I had chills and no energy and the thought of food was extremely unappealing.  Temp registered at 102.  I’m waiting on a covid test, and I think a flu test too?  I was kinda out of it.  I’m isolating.  I feel awful, but I can’t seem to sleep, even with NyQuil AND ambien on board.  I don’t feel well enough to do anything but I also can’t just sleep.  I’m pretty miserable.  Any advice?  I’m really hoping this is a 24 hour thing.  

• Sad 5

23 minutes ago, Kassia said:

The Sudafed that has pseudoephedrine in it keeps me up - found that out the hard way

This is me too. I’m far better off with no medication than with Sudafed. So, I guess just make sure the meds you take are helpful to you, personally.

Otherwise, I’d go for a comfortable recliner or sofa, an undemanding book or tv, and maybe some hot tea or bouillon. The Twinings or Bigelow “Sleepy Time” tea really does help me relax, and hot drinks feel good to me when I have a sore throat.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terabith said:

As if it weren’t enough of an assault to dignity, I am having to carry a bucket to the bathroom and use both simultaneously.  I feel so humiliated.  

That's awful.  I'm so sorry and hope you feel better very soon.  😞  

14 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Hoping it’s okay to go into urgent care in my Jammie’s.  I feel too sick to find real clothes.  

It is fine.   They won't turn you away or call the police on you.....do what you have to do.

Two words: recliner chair. That’s where I sleep when I have a head cold. I am a light touch with cold meds, though, so as long as I am positioned somewhat upright for drainage, I can usually get some sleep. 

I hope you feel better very soon. It’s no fun to be sick the way you describe. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

No covid. No flu.  But obviously still pretty sick.  

I hear norovirus has been making the rounds, could that be it? I don’t know if it comes on as quickly as the flu (and it sound like you got hit hard and fast, which influenza typically does). 

Please be sure to stay hydrated. Let your family know they need to take care of you and not have any expectations of you doing stuff for them til this passes. May the hand washing lecture be heard by all. 

I really do hope this is a short term illness for you. 

• Like 1

I think the first two days of a bad sickness make for a poor night's sleep no matter what.  (I had that a few weeks ago and it was miserable.  I was achy, chilled, and tossed and turned all night.)   By the third night, a few things make a difference:  taking a hot bath, taking NyQuil, and making sure I have plenty of blankets and quiet space.

• Like 2