Menu

Great Audio Book recommendation needed for 15 hour drive

JustEm

I'm doing a 15 hour solo drive in 2 weeks and need a good audio book suggestion.  I generally up for listening to anything as long as the reading has a good reading voice.  I've done a lot of non-fiction reading lately so maybe fiction would be a better idea this time around.  Any and all suggestions are welcomed as I will listen to samples and probably just pick by the voice and reading ability of the reader. Thanks

Since last summer I've been listening to the Inspector Gamache books by Louise Penny.  I loved the narrator.  He died between books 6 and 7 and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new voice but if you haven't read the earlier ones and enjoy mysteries, I highly recommend them.

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Frances said:

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah read by the author.

SO good! 

22 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

The Night Circus, audio by Jim Dale who did Harry Potter. Amazing.

or, you can’t go wrong with Harry Potter either 🙂

I will have to try this one. LOVE Jim Dale. And the Harry Potter are so good on audio!

The Dolly Parton podcast was amazing - in case you want a podcast thrown  in there. 

34 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I do like Jim Dale!  Although HP is out, I've listened to it way too many times.  But I'll look into The Night Circus, thanks.

33 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

Since last summer I've been listening to the Inspector Gamache books by Louise Penny.  I loved the narrator.  He died between books 6 and 7 and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new voice but if you haven't read the earlier ones and enjoy mysteries, I highly recommend them.

I do love a good mystery and haven't read any of those. thank you!

33 minutes ago, jen3kids said:

The Murmur of Bees - it alternates between a female and male narrator.  

hmmm interesting. I'll check it out, thanks

29 minutes ago, Frances said:

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah read by the author.

I really like Trevor Noah, thank you.

The audio books for the James Herriot books like all creatures great and small and the rest are some of the best I have ever listened to.  Absolutely phenomenal reader and captivating story. I'm almost done with the last and I'm sad about it. My library has them. Each book is like 11-15 hrs.  There is some mild swearing including taking the Lord's name in vain which I really wish wasn't there. There is British swearing too but I don't care about that 🤪. Otherwise very clean. 

• Like 3

If you like classics, Nadia May’s reading of Daniel Deronda is fantastic. And I adore Simon Vance’s voice too . . . he’s read a zillion things on Audible. 

On the more light & fluffy side, I loved Jenny Colgan’s The Bookshop on the Corner and The Bookshop on the Shore (read them in that order). Both readers were excellent (caveat: I find the author’s penchant for long, folksy prefaces highly annoying, but once I fast forwarded to the book part all was well). 

One Day in December by Josie Silver is sweet and read by Eleanor Tomlinson (who plays Demelza Poldark)  

I also enjoyed Life after Life by Kate Atkinson, but it might be a tad heavy considering certain world events at the moment. 

The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth was really good too; I liked the narrator and how she portrayed the main character a lot  

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

If you want a classic, The Odyssey, read by Dan Stevens is excellent! I am enjoying it very much.

Another favorite is Huckleberry Finn read by Elijah Wood. 

I actually think he did an awful job with that book.  I was so excited to listen to it because I had just listened to Nick Offerman read Tom Sawyer, which was so good.  Elijah Wood let me down,

Listening to The Odyssey might be a bad idea.

I am a major-league audiobook listener.   When I was a kid I listened behind my Dad who was able to get unabridged audio cassette's from the library from back when it was limited to those with sight problems.  So, I've listened to a great many.   I listen to almost all types of books.  

My absolute favorite audiobook for production was World War Z.    Even if you aren't into the whole zombie thing, you need to listen to this audiobook.    The narrators are major league stars and the book was written with those stars in mind, so everything about what they say matches the way the actor naturally speaks.  I think only one star said No.   

My second favorite is Enders Game.   They picked amazing narrators for that.   

19 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Literally exactly what I was going to recommend. Jim Dale is *the best* narrator and The Night Circus is so much better in audio format where you can really relish that prose. 

• Like 1

Just now, shawthorne44 said:

Jim Dale is awesome.  I wouldn't say he is the best though.  My personal favorite is the dude that did the Train Your Dragon books and was the best Doctor.  

I can certainly get behind listening to David Tennant read just about anything

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I can certainly get behind listening to David Tennant read just about anything

That had been my philosophy during one summer vacation long drive.    I had on hand, books you guys recommended to me and also all David Tennant narrated books I could cheaply get.   

Big mistake.   One of them was titled something like "My sister on the mantle."    DD was weeping in the backseat.   The sister died at the start of the book and then everyone in the family fell apart.   The other books were great.