Menu

Winter Olympics 2022

mommyoffive

Yes. I do enjoy watching the winter sports. I know the athletes have been working hard to get to this competition. It does feel slightly surreal, though, as did the summer Olympics. It's happening, but there are very few spectators there to witness that it's happening. 

I just saw Canada win a silver medal in the men's freestyle moguls! That is an insane event, and I keep expecting to see every competitor wipe out big time. 

Just saying the word "sliding" as in sliding events (i.e., bobsled, luge and skeleton) makes me giggle. Is this a variation of the word sledding? I guess at some point, a daredevel kid created a super fast sledding track and then it became an Olympic event. 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Is anyone else watching the Olympics?

Thoughts?   

Favorite parts already?  What are you waiting to see? 

Jessie Diggens X-Country freestyle Sprint or any of her freestyle events. 

Plus cheering on cross country locals that aren't really medal contenders. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I'm not watching. I used to enjoy the Olympics, especially winter, but haven't had time and don't have standard TV. My kids would probably be interested since they have never seen them. Can you watch online? I'm seeing fees to watch.

You can watch some clips on youtube

NBC Sports - YouTube

Opening Ceremony | NBC Olympics

14 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Thanks. I would most like to watch the hockey games, but probably can't get the entire game that way.

It would be fun to do an Olympics unit study!

How to watch the Beijing Winter Olympics and everything to know (msn.com)

It would be so fun to do an Olympics unit.    Mrs. Mommy are you doing one?   You always do such great things with your kids for holidays and things going on in the world. 

You can check and see the schedule is and maybe able to catch a full game

Olympic Live Streams, TV Listings & Schedule | NBC Olympics

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How to watch the Beijing Winter Olympics and everything to know (msn.com)

It would be so fun to do an Olympics unit.    Mrs. Mommy are you doing one?   You always do such great things with your kids for holidays and things going on in the world. 

Not a full unit study, just some new recipes (the scallion pancakes I made for dinner the night of the Opening Ceremonies were a huge hit!), and a few crafts, and hopefully a little bit about Chinese history/culture. It's so much easier to plan something more in-depth during the summer Olympics when I have more free time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spirea said:

I'm not watching. I used to enjoy the Olympics, especially winter, but haven't had time and don't have standard TV. My kids would probably be interested since they have never seen them. Can you watch online? I'm seeing fees to watch.

I can watch the replay events online with CBC Gem (Canadian Broadcasting Company). The replays are excellent, because you can watch the entire event without commercials, pause, fast-forward, stop and return, etc. And you only watch the events you are interested in seeing. I like to avoid all hockey events - not very Canadian of me! 😅

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spirea said:

We don't have cable or any other subscriptions and we have always been locked out other years because I wasn't willing to spend the huge prices for online services.  This year Peacock is streaming all the sports.  For $5.00 (with ads) or $10 (no ads in anything that is on replay), you can see it all.  I decided it was worth $10 for us to be able to watch whatever part of the Olympics we wanted when we wanted.  We will cancel at the end of the month.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Interesting article about the stones used for curling 

BBC News - The Olympic curling stones crafted in Scotland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60259628

This is the most exciting thing I've heard about curling. I'm not a fan, but it has a rich tradition in Canada and seems to be gaining popularity in the world. I kind of miss the long "slappy" corn brooms they used to use. 😄  They'd make the slap-slap sound as they were being fiercely wielded down the ice. The first few seconds of this video just crack me up! 

• Haha 2

On 2/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, cjzimmer1 said:

We don't have cable or any other subscriptions and we have always been locked out other years because I wasn't willing to spend the huge prices for online services.  This year Peacock is streaming all the sports.  For $5.00 (with ads) or $10 (no ads in anything that is on replay), you can see it all.  I decided it was worth $10 for us to be able to watch whatever part of the Olympics we wanted when we wanted.  We will cancel at the end of the month.

Splurged and subscribed! We're doing a unit study!!

Please share writing prompt ideas!

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 2

Kaillie Humphries https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/59951489.amp
“She had quit the Canadian national team three years ago after making allegations of abuse and harassment against a coach, and had since been competing for her American husband's homeland.

….

Her 2018 Olympic medal was the final time she competed internationally for Canada after filing a harassment complaint with Bobsleigh Canada and sitting out the 2018-19 season while it was investigated. 

She stunned Canada when she announced in 2019 that she wanted to be released from the national set-up to compete for the US because she could not "return to a work environment that I do not believe is safe".

"If I chose not to leave and seek my release I would still be under investigation and sitting on the sidelines - it is how athletes' careers end," she said.

"I knew my career in Canada was over regardless of the outcome and the only shot I had at continuing to be an athlete was to go to another country.

"I shouldn't have to flee, I shouldn't have to sit out an Olympics because I spoke up, I shouldn't have to, but you do unfortunately." 

The dispute is still ongoing as a new investigation was ordered after the initial one was ruled to be not 'thorough' enough in finding her allegations could not be proven.“

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We had to do the comcast dance last week (you know switch plans, so you don't get overcharged) and it came with the online subscription thing. It's kind of great watching the events in full not just the US, not just the winning teams. but also it gets slow waiting for wind conditions... instead of watching person after person in quick succession (we were watching ski jumping? and figure skating). I'll admit without the commentary I'm a bit lost on the figure skating. I guess they can do easier "skills" and points get docked but I have no idea when they do; it all looks impressive to me. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 3:38 PM, cjzimmer1 said:

Yes, this is what we are doing. We used to do Sling for the Olympic month, but this is better. $5 and you can watch replays of whatever you event  want without ads and you can watch events live with no commentary or watch regular programming on NBC or USA.  I am loving it!

9 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

We’re big skiers so watched the men’s super-g with great interest. Ryan Cochran-Siegle broke his neck just over 1 year ago, and did so well today - amazing!

I just saw him on the Today show.  His story is incredible.  Wow.  I honestly think that is what i love about the Olympics the most, hearing the stories of the athletes.  

• Like 4

On 2/6/2022 at 3:38 PM, cjzimmer1 said:

Just out of curiosity, for the sports you watch on the streaming who is doing the commentating? Are they Americans, Australians, British, a combination of all? On my Canadian streaming channel through CBC, a lot of the commentators are Australian and British. It's a little disconcerting to have commentators from countries with no athletes in the event. I love thes accents, though.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Just out of curiosity, for the sports you watch on the streaming who is doing the commentating?

The one I watched has zero commentary on Peacock. It has the score and the name of the athlete and the country flag. When I watched ski jumping you even get to watch the skiers scoot back and forth on the bench waiting for appropriate wind conditions. The announcing is just the official Olympic announcement. 

Watching the luge doubles right now.   This just looks so nuts.  I want to get on one with someone just to see how uncomfortable and awkward that position is. 

80 Mph!  

My abs could never do this.

Erin Hamlin demonstrates how to luge like an Olympian | The Olympic Show | NBC Sports - YouTube

I laughing so hard!!

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Sad about the Kamila Valieva doping allegation. I was amazed by her performances. What a gorgeous skater and will certainly tarnish her career when she is so young. 

Someone so young probably doesn't even have a choice. She's such a lovely skater.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Starr said:

Someone so young probably doesn't even have a choice. She's such a lovely skater.

Yes, or possibly she was never aware. 

Very sad because even if it gave her an edge, she has so much talent without it. I have not kept up on skating and was just so impressed with her short program, yes her athleticism, but also the precision and incredibly graceful form. I really loved watching her. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spirea said:

Yes, or possibly she was never aware. 

Very sad because even if it gave her an edge, she has so much talent without it. I have not kept up on skating and was just so impressed with her short program, yes her athleticism, but also the precision and incredibly graceful form. I really loved watching her. 

I was a little suspicious that she could do all the jumps she did in the long program; a quad, triple combinations. It was fantastic to see, but realistic for a woman to do this without doping? I doubt it. Otherwise there would be more women doing it. It's not like the other countries' athletes aren't working extremely hard. They are simply following the anti-doping rules. 

I agree that her grace and flexibility was enough for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Great performance! I like his 'Star Trek' costume, too. I enjoyed Keegan Messings's lumberjack top. Very Canadian. 😄

I liked both costumes too! I think it will be interesting to see if men's skating outfits begin to trend to a younger, cooler aesthetic like Chen's and Messings's.

• Like 1

I can't help but think of Regentrudes point in the "Not watching the Olympics" thread about child abuse issues. 

I do not know much about figure skating but from what I'm picking up from comments here and other places it is something I wouldn't want my kids involved in, in a super competitive way. It sounds like she has a very abusive coach and it is crazy the Russia is allowed to compete by simply changing their name to Russian Olympic Committee after all their problems. The whole situation is gross in my uneducated opinion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Googling human rights and child abuse with the word Olympics can make one sick. I have to say my bias in wanting to cheer on locals in a sport which is more natural and in a community in which states aren't involved and a lot of parents are actually supporting athletes who just want to dream big and do the best they can but honestly, I may be taking a turn towards "Just get rid of the Olympics" eeks, disgusting. 

• Sad 1