Menu

tsunami warning

Melissa in Australia

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Here on the west coast of the US we are in tsunami advisory (1-3’ waves); thankfully the king tides were earlier this month. Looking at video right now—the whole beach is in rip tides.

Berkeley told people in boats to evacuate to land. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Hope Tonga is OK. 

There is video of the water coming ashore.  they were hit 20 minutes after the eruption.  Since it happened in the late afternoon - people were awake to be able to head for higher ground.

Shows the eruption from space

video from the tsunami coming ashore in Tonga.  damaging - not in the same category as the Boxing Day tsunami or Japan in 2011. but there is damage and destruction.  As for extent of damage and injuries/deaths, too early.

I saw video of it coming ashore in Santa Monica? - and the number of comments of people sneering at a "4'" wave (and calling it normal) . . . except, tsunami waves do not retreat before the next wave rolls ashore like a "normal" wave.  The water has nowhere to go but up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I am alarmed by what I’m seeing in Chile. They’re having some significant drawback of the ocean there, and I’m seeing video of people going down closer to look. Very worrisome.

Peru has had waves come ashore and inundate some areas. I can’t get over how many people are/were still on the beach as this is happening. It seems not to be severe so far as far as these events can go, but certainly very dangerous. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Peru has had waves come ashore and inundate some areas. I can’t get over how many people are/were still on the beach as this is happening. It seems not to be severe so far as far as these events can go, but certainly very dangerous. 

I have more sympathy for those who don't understand what a tsunami is, or what it looks like.  Curiosity is natural.  My ex-2sil's brother was in Jakarta? Thailand?  in the Boxing Day quake.  He was part of a large group that needed two boats for their water tour.  He was on the second boat.  They were delayed leaving the dock - just long enough to see all the water disappear off the beach.  The locals were curious and went down to see it.  He started screaming for people to get to higher ground. The first boat didn't make it. He spent the next two weeks identifying bodies of his coworkers.

Those who have heard the warnings, but think it's "just a wave"  (I've seen many sneering comments about how it's "only" four feet. - unlike a normal wave, a tsunami wave doesn't retreat. It just keeps coming. And the wave action isn't just at the surface, it goes all the way to the bottom.), and go out to play in the water, or worse - surf, first responders shouldn't have to risk their lives to rescue them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have more sympathy for those who don't understand what a tsunami is, or what it looks like.  Curiosity is natural.  My ex-2sil's brother was in Jakarta? Thailand?  in the Boxing Day quake.  He was part of a large group that needed two boats for their water tour.  He was on the second boat.  They were delayed leaving the dock - just long enough to see all the water disappear off the beach.  The locals were curious and went down to see it.  He started screaming for people to get to higher ground. The first boat didn't make it. He spent the next two weeks identifying bodies of his coworkers.

Those who have heard the warnings, but think it's "just a wave"  (I've seen many sneering comments about how it's "only" four feet. - unlike a normal wave, a tsunami wave doesn't retreat. It just keeps coming. And the wave action isn't just at the surface, it goes all the way to the bottom.), and go out to play in the water, or worse - surf, first responders shouldn't have to risk their lives to rescue them.

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t sound like there was any loss of life from the waves in Peru or Chile, fortunately. I hope that is the case. In Peru, it doesn’t appear that they even warned people to get off the beaches and there was some kind of food market event going on right where waves rushed in. In Chile they were sounding sirens and using loudspeakers to warn people. 

• Like 2

I went out to the Pacific Ocean beach today to see how the waters looked - there were 5 foot tall waves and tons of surfers catching the waves in San Francisco. There were crowds playing beach volleyball, not looking very concerned about the tsunami but there were police and coastguard patrolling heavily. But another city near me had floods from the surge and the same thing has happened there during previous tsunamis.

Apparently water is a concern due to ash contamination.  (Reminding me that my bottled water supply is out again)

There has been a second eruption and Aus and NZ are having trouble getting flights there due to ash. Many people posting photos of amazing sunsets here - reminded me of when I was a kid and there was a volcano and we had intense sunsets. I’m guessing based on timing it might have been Krakatoa though I don’t know for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd 5 people were rescued from two locations; 3 were from ocean beach, 2 from San Gregorio State Beach. https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2022/01/16/rescues-crews-busy-on-san-francisco-bay-area-beaches-during-tsunami-surge/?amp

I was at ocean beach to watch the tsunami, but it seems that I left before the big surges happened.

That was such a huge volcano.  People heard it in Alaska, 5000 miles away.  But no reports of it from Hawaii, which is closer. And I think that may be to issues like obstacles in the way, moisture levels, etc/

I do know that sound travels faster if you are in a moist environment.  I hear the trains which are about 3.5 miles away when we have fog or very moist atmosphere at night or early morning and the trains are over the mountain I am living on.  Cows mooing also but again when it is more moist.

Edited by TravelingChris