Menu

Who here has a ballroom gown ready to go?

itsheresomewhere

Where does one find a woman sized ballroom gown in certain spring only colors that is not low cut or back exposed that is only to be worn for a weekend play next month. The play DD is making costuming something everyone has in their closets.  We must be the odd ones out who don’t own a ballroom gown.  I have searched thrift shops within 75 miles and nothing.    It is looking like I might be making a ballroom gown…..

So now I am curious- who here a ballroom gown ready to go in their closet ( especially their teens/kids)? 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See if a local community theater company has one you can rent or borrow. 

ETA and yes we have a ball gown and several other long formal dresses in closets here. 

ETA2 if by “ball gown” you mean an actual princess like big dress, theater company. If you mean a long formal dress, start with thrift shops. 

Edited by Grace Hopper

4 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I'd start by canvassing friends with teen/20 something young ladies in their household - prom dresses, bridesmaids dresses, choir dresses, etc. Then maybe a neighborhood group? 

Trying that. So far nothing that would work or close to her size. Two piece ones are popular here and it is a no go. 

38 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Where does one find a woman sized ballroom gown in certain spring only colors that is not low cut or back exposed that is only to be worn for a weekend play next month. The play DD is making costuming something everyone has in their closets.  We must be the odd ones out who don’t own a ballroom gown.  I have searched thrift shops within 75 miles and nothing.    It is looking like I might be making a ballroom gown…..

So now I am curious- who here a ballroom gown ready to go in their closet ( especially their teens/kids)? 

Dumb idea retracted.

Edited by Alicia64

I have a couple full length dresses for a fancy occasion, but I don't know if they would be considered a ball gown. DD23 has a couple dresses that she wore to prom that she saved for future parties. One dress that she didn't take when she moved out had a poofy, chiffon style skirt. 

I agree with others, put out a request with friends or put a request on Facebook Marketplace. Dresses are out there, it just make take a bit of effort to find them. You also may try calling some women's second hand boutique stores. Since parties are less common due to COVID, they may not have them on the floor, but they may still have a few in the backroom. 

1 minute ago, Katy said:

You might find great options on eBay. Here’s one that’s a lavender size 6.  It has a back, but does have spaghetti straps. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VENUS-Dress-Prom-NEW-Adult-6-Purple-Womens-Bridesmaid-Formal-Gown-Small-Ladies-/373644030788?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Thanks for the thought.  We have been looking on eBay.  The requirements are- no dark colors, no white/black/gold.  Nothing low cut or backless, no spaghetti straps or strapless, nothing that is too sparkly, must be ankle length or the floor. 

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

I have a couple full length dresses for a fancy occasion, but I don't know if they would be considered a ball gown. DD23 has a couple dresses that she wore to prom that she saved for future parties. One dress that she didn't take when she moved out had a poofy, chiffon style skirt. 

I agree with others, put out a request with friends or put a request on Facebook Marketplace. Dresses are out there, it just make take a bit of effort to find them. You also may try calling some women's second hand boutique stores. Since parties are less common due to COVID, they may not have them on the floor, but they may still have a few in the backroom. 

Been doing that. Honestly besides the requirements, the other issue is the short time frame to find this dress.  I wish they would have decided more than 3-4 weeks before the performance. 

Ever-Pretty Women's Double V-Neck Empire Waist Front Wrap Bridesmaid Dress 7962 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXYT6H7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_E34P27SY029HBDXF338X?psc=1

Ever-Pretty Women's Illusion Short Sleeve Summer Tulle Bridesmaid Dresses for Wedding 0278 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08XQ6J1XP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_52EW6VE95C0PMPK5F5BP?psc=1

• Like 1

Just now, theelfqueen said:

Ever-Pretty Women's Double V-Neck Empire Waist Front Wrap Bridesmaid Dress 7962 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXYT6H7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_E34P27SY029HBDXF338X?psc=1

Ever-Pretty Women's Illusion Short Sleeve Summer Tulle Bridesmaid Dresses for Wedding 0278 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08XQ6J1XP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_52EW6VE95C0PMPK5F5BP?psc=1

Thanks.  The top one might work but may not be ballroom enough.  I will send a link to the costume director.  The second is too low cut for them. 

8 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Been doing that. Honestly besides the requirements, the other issue is the short time frame to find this dress.  I wish they would have decided more than 3-4 weeks before the performance. 

This may sound silly, but have you tried stores like JCPenny, Macy's etc. They usually have some in stock due to winter formal events, and since so many were cancelled, they may be on clearance now. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I'd start by canvassing friends with teen/20 something young ladies in their household - prom dresses, bridesmaids dresses, choir dresses, etc. Then maybe a neighborhood group? 

Yes, I would post on Facebook and NextDoor type sites, and also ask the people she's in the play with! 

1 minute ago, Tap said:

This may sound silly, but have you tried stores like JCPenny, Macy's etc. They usually have some in stock due to winter formal events, and since so many were cancelled, they may be on clearance now. 

Lots of dark colors. Nothing in the spring colors they want or the few that are the colors are short.  Now if they only were doing this play in the spring. 

6 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Thanks.  The top one might work but may not be ballroom enough.  I will send a link to the costume director.  The second is too low cut for them. 

I think it's plenty ballroom enough, particularly for costuming that's supposed to come out of your closet, lol. 

A long dress in the right colors is about all they can expect, really. Has she seen what the other girls are wearing? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katilac said:

I think it's plenty ballroom enough, particularly for costuming that's supposed to come out of your closet, lol. 

A long dress in the right colors is about all they can expect, really. Has she seen what the other girls are wearing? 

Actual ballroom gowns.  The parents posted some and the costume director sent examples of what they want. 

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I have one you could borrow if you lived near and could return in good condition. But, you could make a post to your local community pages and see if anyone there has one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thewellerman said:

I wonder if you sized up ahe could just wear a poofy slip underneath and pull it off.  I was going to suggest belk, but my quick search all looked darkish, too.  

It would really be easy if this was the right season in dresses for spring, bright colors. 

No matter what I will have to alter it so I don’t object to sizing up to add poof. 

Just now, Janeway said:

I have one you could borrow if you lived near and could return in good condition. But, you could make a post to your local community pages and see if anyone there has one.

If you were close, I would do it.  But if I remember right, you are far.  Thank you. 

Posted on them, so far nothing. 

I used this to make DD a Halloween costume once. She just needed a gown, not to look like a character from a show I wouldn’t let her watch. I didn’t gather the shoulders as much so there were sleeves.  And I used a piece of shiny fabric for the chest and the sane one to make a satin sash for the belt. I used some clearance curtains we found at Dollar general store. 

Eta: I left out the part about making the cape a full back by duplicating the front. Oh and I sewed instead of using hot glue.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1064296593/10-off-christel-cinderella-ball-gown?click_key=5a91a7776dcefc140e316a4788b5958043624484%3A1064296593&click_sum=32a872ae&ref=shop_home_active_1&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1&variation0=2182511229

I keep thinking the price is a typo considering the rest of the prices in their shop, but it looks legit? Might be a bit low cut but if you're the sewing type maybe you can fashion something to cover a bit more with some of the skirt? Shipping is probably the nail in the coffin, but you might be able to contact the store to see for a more narrow window than " arrives January 12 - February 26"

eta: if you found white dresses that would work, could you dye it?

Edited by Moonhawk

Ever-Pretty Womens V Neck Sequin Tulle A Line Evening Formal Dress 0277 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097P633F4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_ESV29FDZHWVEJMYW6ZC6

Ever-Pretty Women Lace Illusion Short Sleeve Chiffon Wedding Party Dress 07624 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08PP6LLP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_SVEH2Q0H9GNKTWNFEQV9?psc=1

I'm just looking for around $50 and available.in size 12 by mid January ... in spring colors and not too revealing...they feel a little older 

Edited by theelfqueen

I don’t own a ball gown and never have. Homeschool proms weren’t a thing when I was in high school lol.

But honestly, that’s a really strict list of requirements. I am kind of amazed other girls have dresses that match the requirements.  When I was a 12/14 I literally could never find anything that fit at the thrift stores, which always surprised me because that’s the average woman’s size so you’d think there would be plenty.  Now that I’m a 4/6, there are tons of clothes.  I don’t get it at all. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t own a ball gown and never have. Homeschool proms weren’t a thing when I was in high school lol.

But honestly, that’s a really strict list of requirements. I am kind of amazed other girls have dresses that match the requirements.  When I was a 12/14 I literally could never find anything that fit at the thrift stores, which always surprised me because that’s the average woman’s size so you’d think there would be plenty.  Now that I’m a 4/6, there are tons of clothes.  I don’t get it at all. 

Me too.  This is an interesting group of people.  They looked at me like I had five heads when I said we don’t own one. But I think quite a few of these girls attend purity balls based on what the parents have said.
  Our thrift stores are full of small sizes but nothing really if you are larger. 

7 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1064296593/10-off-christel-cinderella-ball-gown?click_key=5a91a7776dcefc140e316a4788b5958043624484%3A1064296593&click_sum=32a872ae&ref=shop_home_active_1&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1&variation0=2182511229

I keep thinking the price is a typo considering the rest of the prices in their shop, but it looks legit? Might be a bit low cut but if you're the sewing type maybe you can fashion something to cover a bit more with some of the skirt? Shipping is probably the nail in the coffin, but you might be able to contact the store to see for a more narrow window than " arrives January 12 - February 26"

When you select the color, the price jumps to 297.  

7 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Ever-Pretty Womens V Neck Sequin Tulle A Line Evening Formal Dress 0277 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097P633F4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_ESV29FDZHWVEJMYW6ZC6

Ever-Pretty Women Lace Illusion Short Sleeve Chiffon Wedding Party Dress 07624 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08PP6LLP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_SVEH2Q0H9GNKTWNFEQV9?psc=1

I'm just looking for around $50 and available.in size 12 by mid January ... in spring colors and not too revealing...they feel a little older 

Thanks.  I will see if these meet their requirements.