Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2024 at 9:49 PM, Rebel said:

I know more people right now who currently have Covid than I have at any other time during the pandemic. In addition to several friends, family, and students, I also have it along with my son, daughter-in-law, and both granddaughters.

Not sure where you are, but apparently your info is being seen in the data too.  So you are onto something.

https://caitlinrivers.substack.com/p/outbreak-outlook-national-february-1b2?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=1017072&post_id=141670101&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=q2z70&utm_medium=email

Positives: Most of the country is seeing declining Covid-19 hospitalizations. This includes most states in the Western region, including California, Washington, and New Mexico. The Northeast is looking better as well. Hospitalizations there are generally improving after winter spikes, with some states like Vermont achieving significant reductions. Moreover, wastewater concentrations remained relatively stable across the country, with the Northeast having the highest levels.

Concerns: The South is seeing a resurge of Covid-19. Hospitalizations jumped in places like Arkansas, Washington D.C., Texas, and Louisiana, erasing previous declines. The South-Central states are most affected by this new increase; other parts of the Southern census region are doing okay, which is why the increase is not evident on the plot below. There has been a noticeable uptick in hospitalizations among people ages 70+ in these areas, so caution is warranted.

Parts of the Midwest, including North Dakota, Kansas, and Nebraska also reported increases in Covid-19 activity, but overall levels are lower there.

Going Forward: I am not sure why the South is seeing a resurgence in both ILI/influenza and Covid-19. We do sometimes see a small spring “wave” of Covid, but that’s usually more of an April event. My guess is that this is just a temporary setback and activity will begin declining again soon, but my confidence in that prediction is low. I’ll keep a close eye out in the weeks to come.

• Like 1

My concern right now is that I’m seeing people with Covid who tested positive in November as well.  We had a group of people at work who came home from Las Vegas sick around Halloween and spread it.  Several of the same people are sick again this week and tested positive.  Every one is at least vaccinated and most did get boosted within the last 12 months.

One of my coworkers has developed sarcoidosis from Covid in November and will likely have to retire early from it. He is already out of sick time and went home sick with a high fever last night. I expect he probably has Covid again as well.

It seems like very short lived immunity.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Sad 16

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

My concern right now is that I’m seeing people with Covid who tested positive in November as well.  We had a group of people at work who came home from Las Vegas sick around Halloween and spread it.  Several of the same people are sick again this week and tested positive.  Every one is at least vaccinated and most did get boosted within the last 12 months.

One of my coworkers has developed sarcoidosis from Covid in November and will likely have to retire early from it. He is already out of sick time and went home sick with a high fever last night. I expect he probably has Covid again as well.

It seems like very short lived immunity.

This stupid virus had mutated into quite the ev monster. Ugh. I was invited to QuiltCon. I decided to go along with an N95 and boosted last month. But, I am worried. However, we have spent nearly 4 years hunkered down and bizarrely careful due to our mothers. It is negatively affecting my mental health. So now it is a balancing act of having any joy in life, not being constantly worrying vs. not getting sick and getting long covid, or killing the grandmas. I can't figure out where the balance is. My mother could live another 10 years. My oldest grandson will be 18. Do I just throw in the towel and stop living in order to keep her alive?

I feel selfish. But. I am going to QuiltaCon. We are boosted, we are masking, we are eating outdoors, only going to the vendor hall and quilt displays - no special speakers or classes - and I am even taking picnic food to and from all along my route from here to NC, mask in rest areas. Hope for the damn best because I just desperately need a break from their overwhelming medical needs, grocery shopping, and staying home except when I make the run to Alabama to see the grands, a place where I then am overrun with responsibilities, and end up cooking, cleaning, and caring for littles in order to give dd a break.

My mental and physical needs this. Yet, I am having a hard time letting go of the anxiety.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 8
  • Sad 4

Dh and I were boosted (and I have had all the boosts) toward the end of September, and we both tested positive Dec. 28. I will admit that we don't mask any more unless we are sick ourselves or going into a place with a high percentage of sick people. I will mask when we fly in March to help with a new grand baby. But I'm not willing to wear masks all the time again, not because I don't believe they are helpful, but because they are uncomfortable to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

So now it is a balancing act of having any joy in life, not being constantly worrying vs. not getting sick and getting long covid, or killing the grandmas.

N95s are really good. There are people that do manage to catch it anyway, but if you have a sniffle, mask around the grandmas. Really, just where your mask as you’re doing, go do stuff, and if you feel off, that’s the time to test/mask/curtail grandma visits until it’s clear whether you are sick. Don’t worry on the front end if you don’t live with them, KWIM?

If you go out of town and have to eat around others or something, just take extra precautions around the grandmas.

As has been said around here, don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

If the grandmas are not masking and are not avoiding masks due to dementia or something, at some point, you’re being more careful than them, and it’s on them.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am in central Texas.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about long Covid lately. I’ve had Covid one time (last September) and thankfully did not have any lingering symptoms. However, I have had lingering symptoms after other (often unidentified) viruses. These have included arthritis, fatigue, post-exertional malaise, chronic hives, brain fog…. Do we know how common this phenomenon is in general?

I’m also wondering if symptoms that we’ve blamed on immune system “overreactions” in the past (this is what I always blamed my symptoms on) are actually long-lasting viral infections that go undetected.

Anyway, perhaps all of these long Covid studies will give us better insight into the long-term behavior of viruses in general.

• Like 5

https://peoplescdc.substack.com/p/peoples-cdc-february-19-2024-covid?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=1004289&post_id=141854261&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=q2z70&utm_medium=email

30 US states remain at High to Very High levels of SARS-CoV-2 detected in wastewater since February 9, 2024, with multiple states not reporting. Preventing the spread of COVID by taking precautions like masking and improving your indoor air quality can strongly reduce your chance of infection.

We would also like to note that the CDC, which usually updates their wastewater data on a weekly basis, has not updated their dashboard since Friday, February 9th. It is significant that this data delay arrives during the same week of the announcement that they are considering making cuts to the 5-day isolation guideline. We would like to urge the CDC to make their data release schedule public and to continue to provide wastewater information in a timely and consistent manner.

Despite regional declines in wastewater levels in the Midwest, Northeast, and West, the South is still trending extremely high, almost double the national average. This is especially concerning since 7 of the 10 states to refuse Medicaid expansion are located in the South, a region home to some of, “the largest Black populations in the US.” Our collective fight against the state’s abandonment of pandemic protections is a fight against racial injustice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The most egregious covid exposure ever. Our foster teen visited people who are currently experiencing miserable, fully-symptomatic covid. Ear, nose, throat, fever, coughing, loss of taste and smell. Did not tell me. They had teen for three days and two nights. They actually threw a party. Literally filled the house with their friends and relatives, cooked for all the people while totally symptomatic, apparently covid was joked about at the party by all the people who think all this covid paranoia is so overblown. 

These people know I have some health concerns that require some caution. They know. They don't care. They should have told me not to bring teen to their house with as sick as they are. The first one to get sick was Thursday apparently and then others got sick too.

And now I'm doomed. I wore a mask in the car with teen. I've got windows open and air purifiers running. Teen says she'll gargle but not mask. Because she doesn't mask. I'm very tempted to bring teen back to them and let her work online from there, but it took some time to get this all figured out and I'm already exposed. Sending her back to a super-negative environment won't necessarily prevent me from getting sick, but it does guarantee a lot of emotional fallout as is normal in foster care home visits.

• Sad 21

On 2/19/2024 at 9:54 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

My concern right now is that I’m seeing people with Covid who tested positive in November as well.

I’m seeing so much of this. Some of them are confirmed Covid both times (Covid subreddits are full of people having another confirmed case within a few months of their last), and others are just people who are sick again and again and again right now. In people I know locally, it often seems to go Covid, then recovered and then sick again with something else a few weeks later. I really want to know whether Covid infections are in fact wiping some immune memory or just making people more susceptible due to other factors such as T cell damage, or if it’s something else happening and/or it’s always been like this (I don’t buy the last possibility. I really don’t think it’s always been this bad with everyone sick so often.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

And now I'm doomed. I wore a mask in the car with teen. I've got windows open and air purifiers running.

I’m so sorry this happened! I just can’t imagine how or why it is that people are this inconsiderate at this point. Inconsiderate doesn’t even begin to cover it. I’m really sorry. I don’t think you’re doomed though. Transmission is weird and it’s possible you haven’t picked it up yet and by taking precautions you could avoid. Are you using N95s that fit you well? Are you able to use a separate bathroom?  Will teen use a nasal spray (iota carageenan or xylitol based one)?  I’ll be praying for you that you stay healthy through this. Best case scenario, Foster dd is one of those people who for some reason just doesn’t pick it up despite having been in that environment. Then that spares the risk to her health and to yours.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m so sorry this happened! I just can’t imagine how or why it is that people are this inconsiderate at this point. Inconsiderate doesn’t even begin to cover it. I’m really sorry. I don’t think you’re doomed though. Transmission is weird and it’s possible you haven’t picked it up yet and by taking precautions you could avoid. Are you using N95s that fit you well? Are you able to use a separate bathroom?  Will teen use a nasal spray (iota carageenan or xylitol based one)?  I’ll be praying for you that you stay healthy through this. Best case scenario, Foster dd is one of those people who for some reason just doesn’t pick it up despite having been in that environment. Then that spares the risk to her health and to yours.

I will ask teen about nasal spray, but I doubt that. She really struggles with any physical discomfort or ickyness. (Hence her refusal to ever mask.) She's had covid before and she's vaxxed, but she does tend to get sick a lot so I feel pretty hopeless. I appreciate the encouragement, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

The most egregious covid exposure ever. Our foster teen visited people who are currently experiencing miserable, fully-symptomatic covid. Ear, nose, throat, fever, coughing, loss of taste and smell. Did not tell me. They had teen for three days and two nights. They actually threw a party. Literally filled the house with their friends and relatives, cooked for all the people while totally symptomatic, apparently covid was joked about at the party by all the people who think all this covid paranoia is so overblown. 

These people know I have some health concerns that require some caution. They know. They don't care. They should have told me not to bring teen to their house with as sick as they are. The first one to get sick was Thursday apparently and then others got sick too.

And now I'm doomed. I wore a mask in the car with teen. I've got windows open and air purifiers running. Teen says she'll gargle but not mask. Because she doesn't mask. I'm very tempted to bring teen back to them and let her work online from there, but it took some time to get this all figured out and I'm already exposed. Sending her back to a super-negative environment won't necessarily prevent me from getting sick, but it does guarantee a lot of emotional fallout as is normal in foster care home visits.

Oh I am so sorry.  That is just so horrible that they did that to you.  I am honestly so sad that people seemed to learn nothing from this pandemic.  The 2 times we got sick from an activity from really sick kids being there was so insanely upsetting considering the families who did it.  Sigh.   I am so sorry that they did that to you.  It is so horribly selfish.  

Can you take extra vitamins? Open windows? Mask yourself?  Isolate either the teen or yourself? Run the house fan?  Gargle.  Nose sanitizer?  

Again I am just so sorry that happened. 

• Like 2

@Harriet Vane How frustrating! I am hopeful that you can get through with masking and ventilation. Are you comfortable with any of the nose sprays? You could use them yourself. We have been using Nozzin (not a spray, but applied with a qtip) after potential exposures. I’m sure I read about it in this thread somewhere.

I hope everyone stays healthy.

Anecdotally, I was just in urgent care for another reason, and the nurse was just back to work after 6 weeks of illness — three different illnesses, with a Covid chaser at the end. She said it’s been this way for the last year or so, she’s always sick these days. I feel like pre-Covid I didn’t hear stories like that as often. I am that way — a cold will turn into a six week odyssey of illness — and so I feel like I’d always have taken note of anyone similar. It really feels like there’s an immune component to living post Covid.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I will ask teen about nasal spray, but I doubt that. She really struggles with any physical discomfort or ickyness. (Hence her refusal to ever mask.) She's had covid before and she's vaxxed, but she does tend to get sick a lot so I feel pretty hopeless. I appreciate the encouragement, though. 

@Spryte just suggested Nozzin and we use this.  It is a lot easier than the nasal sprays.  My kids did not like those at all, but none of them care at all about Nozzin.  It doesn't burn, make your eyes water, or feel bad in any way.  And it has a nice citrus smell.   We usual it daily when they go to things, when they are around someone sick, and if they do get sick we do it too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh I am so sorry.  That is just so horrible that they did that to you.  I am honestly so sad that people seemed to learn nothing from this pandemic.  The 2 times we got sick from an activity from really sick kids being there was so insanely upsetting considering the families who did it.  Sigh.   I am so sorry that they did that to you.  It is so horribly selfish.  

Can you take extra vitamins? Open windows? Mask yourself?  Isolate either the teen or yourself? Run the house fan?  Gargle.  Nose sanitizer?  

Again I am just so sorry that happened. 

I took vitamin C this morning and will keep dosing. Dh roasted some garlic and we shared it on some lovely bread. Yes to gargling. I will pick up nasal spray this afternoon and take care of it. Thanks for the concern and reminders. 

• Like 1

Can I whine for a moment?

We are going on week 3 of trying to be good citizens and contain covid here. I feel like the world is working against me on that though.

One DD tested positive on the 25th; she tested 2x negative on Feb 5th. Everyone tested negative on that day too. We had pretty much stayed home - DH and I switched off working from home and working in our respective offices (masked) for the time. Other DD tested positive on the 10th; her covid test is just as bright as the 10th today. Urgent care only gave her a school note for last week off. She trudged through her cc classes today, and she looks like he*$ when I picked her up and she's asleep now although she was feeling pretty good this morning. DH tested positive on the 13th, and he's having pretty severe tachycardia (his watch told him he'd walked 800 steps, but reached his target heart rate 155 minutes the other day) to which urgent care said, "Yeah, that's normal." Urgent care didn't even wear masks while swabbing DD's nose - WTH?

I remain testing negative. One of my jobs is paying me for not showing up (my boss was hospitalized in 2020 and is very covid-cautious), and the other I go into as long as I am negative and masked. DH missed a couple of days last week, although he was able to work from home briefly Friday. DH is expected to show up at work Friday, positive or negative. 

I'm absolutely exhausted from trying to manage quarantine, up my normal cleaning routine, work 24 hours a week, and keep myself as healthy as I can so hopefully I can dodge this.

Financially, it's been a huge hit as well. It's cost well over $200 in covid tests to continually test 4 people (although our local health department has been doling them out depending on the employee - one lady there was cranky and gave me "my one free test", but the guy today gave me 10 - bless him), and $100 in urgent care. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 16

@historically accurate Oh no, I am so sorry you guys are dealing with Covid.  I hope your dd feels better soon and your dh is ok.  So scary.  

I am hoping somehow you don't get it.  Rest as much as you can, you are doing so much right now.

WTF on that nurse not masking when she swabbed your dd's nose?  That is insane. 

Boo on the expenses.  I am sorry.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH tested positive on the 13th, and he's having pretty severe tachycardia (his watch told him he'd walked 800 steps, but reached his target heart rate 155 minutes the other day) to which urgent care said, "Yeah, that's normal."

😢 I’m sorry for all of this. It’s the worst when something takes so long to go through the house one by one, prolonging the whole ordeal. With your dh’s heart rate, what urgent care calls “normal” is indeed common, but that doesn’t mean it’s good. As much as possible, if he can avoid doing anything that spikes his heart rate like that, it’s ideal. Tachycardia is a common post Covid condition. Your dh is still in the acute stage, so it’s likely it will resolve, but I’d be mindful of it, make sure he’s staying well hydrated, and follow up with his provider if it causes additional symptoms or continues after he otherwise recovers. 

I hope everyone in your house is healthy again soon and that you remain so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Genuinely shocked to see accurate Covid reporting on a major network! 

I especially love the part where the anchors are like, hmm, could this just be corporate pressure to get all us medieval peasants back laboring in the fields? Sure sounds like it….

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

@historically accurate I’m sorry you and your family are going through this, yet also want to thank you for making such an effort to stop chains of transmission.

It’s incredibly difficult to take care of our families and do the right thing for our communities now—it requires impossible amounts of time, effort, money and persistence. Unsustainable,  unnecessary and unfair when solid public health policy could dramatically reduce transmission. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I really like the perspective and reasoning showing that we know passive things we need to do even when people won’t fully cooperate. It’s crazy that this isn’t being done everywhere.

• Like 2

All sorts of headlines popped up this week about side effects of the Covid Vaccine, from the usual sorts of newspapers. I finally found a more rational report - they found 2 new side effects from the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which is no longer used in Australia due to previous side effects). They are less than one in a million effects. I can just imagine how this is being trumpeted around the anti-vax world, despite the fact that effects of Covid itself are so much more common and devastating.

Two very rare Covid vaccine side-effects detected in global study of 99 million | Health | The Guardian

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, bookbard said:

All sorts of headlines popped up this week about side effects of the Covid Vaccine, from the usual sorts of newspapers. I finally found a more rational report - they found 2 new side effects from the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which is no longer used in Australia due to previous side effects). They are less than one in a million effects. I can just imagine how this is being trumpeted around the anti-vax world, despite the fact that effects of Covid itself are so much more common and devastating.

Two very rare Covid vaccine side-effects detected in global study of 99 million | Health | The Guardian

I’ve been seeing the headlines everywhere and they are so misleading. For those that are just looking at headlines, the impression given is that their is new research suggesting the vaccine is risky. The headlines never seem to include that the risk of the same and worse outcomes from a Covid infection are astronomically higher. It would be one thing if Covid were contained and not something people were likely to encounter, but most people can currently expect to keep getting it over and over again, making risk reduction imperative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid seems to be everywhere here right now. Just heard of another two people with it yesterday. DH has been exposed and was feeling off yesterday (just headache and foggy) but negative on a RAT. He’s staying away from the rest of us just in case. (Glad he’s respectful about it although it kinda sucks)

I am really starting to think of this as a school-spread virus. The waves really coincide with the school term going back. I heard of no one with it through the holidays and I think I’m up to seven in the last week.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am really starting to think of this as a school-spread virus. The waves really coincide with the school term going back. I heard of no one with it through the holidays and I think I’m up to seven in the last week.

I think numerous Covid-safe groups have pointed this out. It’s crazy that it’s still not seasonal in any other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I’m surprised about the heart inflammation—I thought they had studies showing it wasn’t as big as they initially thought.

Solving the puzzle of Long Covid Ziyad Al-aly and Eric Topol, Science. “Preventing infections and reinfections is the best way to prevent Long Covid and should remain the foundation of public health policy.” (Remain?!) Commentary here:Long Covid is one of the world’s biggest challenges John Snow Project

Florida Defies CDC in Measles Outbreak, Telling Parents It’s Fine to Send Unvaccinated Kids to School

The existential challenge of Long Covid, US excess deaths, UK long term sickness, Pandemic revisionism, and more

Reactivated TB is a Bellweather for Covid's Immune Harm

Edited by Amoret
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Interesting podcast, thanks for linking it!

For those who don't have time to listen, most of it is about a specific type of brain cancer that this Stanford neurologist, Michelle Monje, works on, but she also researches covid's effect on the brain because there is some overlap in the mechanisms. This is a short summary of what she has to say about covid, which I cleaned up from the transcript (eliminated lots of "you know," ummm," repetition, etc.)

"Microglial reactivity triggered by even relatively mild Covid occurring in the respiratory system, not directly infecting the brain or other kinds of immune challenges, can trigger this reactivity of microglia and consequently dysregulate the normal interactions between cells in the brain that are so important for optimal nervous system function. And the end product of that is dysfunction in cognition, brain fog, impairment in attention, memory, ability to multitask, impaired speed of information processing.

But there are other ways that COVID can influence the nervous system. Of course, there can be direct infection; it may not happen commonly, but it certainly can happen.

There is [also] clear dysregulation of the neurovasculature. The immune response and the reaction to the spike protein of Covid in particular can have very important effects on the vessels in the nervous system and that can trigger a cascade of effects that can cause nervous system dysregulation and may feed directly into that reactivity of the microglia.

There also can be reactivation of previous infections, for example herpes virus infections or EBV can be reactivated and trigger a new immune challenge in the context of the immune dysregulation that Covid can induce.
And then there's autoimmunity. We're learning all the different ways Covid can affect the nervous system, but with autoimmunity there can be mimicry of some of the antigens that Covid presents and unfortunate autoimmunity against nervous system targets.
And then finally, in severe Covid, where there is cardiopulmonary compromise, there is hypoxia and multi-organ failure. It is certainly not a mutually excusive list. Many of these interactions can happen at the same time in the same individual and in different combinations."

• Thanks 6

Yep.

I have Covid.

So far mild. So far dh and foster teen are not sick. 

I have berberine and NAC. I bought them last year before traveling because I had read some things suggesting they might help. But I am worried that my super-vague research of last year might have turned up snake oil and pixie dust. 

Whaddya think? Are those good anti-covid measures? Or not?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

49 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yep.

I have Covid.

So far mild. So far dh and foster teen are not sick. 

I have berberine and NAC. I bought them last year before traveling because I had read some things suggesting they might help. But I am worried that my super-vague research of last year might have turned up snake oil and pixie dust. 

Whaddya think? Are those good anti-covid measures? Or not?

I’m sorry! Darn it. Do you think foster teen has it and is asymptomatic? I haven’t looked lately on Berberine. I recall it has actions similar to metformin, which had studies showing it lowers long Covid risk. I’d personally take the NAC and do some reading to see if you want to take the Berberine. I no longer remember what downsides there might be. I might take some of the probiotic strains shown to help as well. 

I have hung onto this link to a pharmacists recommendations of what she would take during Covid to reduce long Covid risk, and her recommendations make sense in light of what people who already have long Covid are finding can help. https://pharmd.substack.com/p/i-have-covid-what-should-my-kids

Nattokinase and lactoferrin are two that I would likely take. And I’d start CoQ10 as soon as I was feeling better in hopes of helping my mitochondria. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2