Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an interesting and kind of funny article about this twitter guy (PhD in Immunology) whose thing is that covid may affect t-cells. 

What If COVID Reinfections Wear Down Our Immunity? | The Tyee

Only funny because of the guy himself. What he's actually predicting is very, very scary. And explains why after covid all these other opportunistic infections have increased.

My friend is down with something that isn't covid (PCR tested) but is taking just as long as an acute covid bout to recover from. So if you not only get covid, but then a few months later you get X virus, or influenza, or gastro, or tonsellitis . . .  not fun at all. This is why I'm still masking, I don't want any of those things! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 1:27 PM, mommyoffive said:

I'm not sure what can even be drawn from this one. It actually makes sense to me that there can be some surface transmission as well. It happens with other viruses, I'm not sure why getting virus on your hands and then in your nose or eyes wouldn't be a risk with this one. That said, because this study didn't even look at the air, there's no way to know how housemates contracted it. It makes sense that houses with more covid in the air would also have more covid being deposited on surfaces

22 hours ago, bookbard said:

I read an interesting and kind of funny article about this twitter guy (PhD in Immunology) whose thing is that covid may affect t-cells. 

What If COVID Reinfections Wear Down Our Immunity? | The Tyee

Thanks for linking this! My Mastadon feed has frequently had another guy really going after the whole T-cell hypothesis, in really mean ways. I wondered why he was so vociferous about it. I didn't have Leonardi on follow though (but now I do!).

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Corraleno said:

The recent study on metformin's effectiveness in preventing long covid (especially if given within 4 days) made me wonder if berberine (an OTC supplement) would also be effective against covid, since studies have shown it to be as effective as metformin for T2 diabetes.

So I searched to see if any studies had been done on berberine, and found this extremely thorough (and very very technical) summary of the research on berberine's effectiveness against a whole host of viruses and it's potential application for covid:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10787-022-01080-1

Although there haven't been many studies specifically on berberine and covid, the ones that do exist are positive, and there are many more studies on berberine with other viral illnesses; the linked article goes over the specific mechanisms by which various viruses cause damage and the ways in which berberine interferes with those mechanisms and mitigates the damage. A lot of it is frankly over my head — like I may not know what the "ABC pathway" is, but the authors say that X study showed this is the mechanism by which covid (or other viruses) cause Y problem, and Z study shows that berberine effectively blocks that pathway.

Given the importance of starting metformin as quickly as possible with covid, and the fact that it can take days to even test positive let alone get a doctor's appointment, I'm definitely adding berberine to my "covid kit," along with NAC. The article suggests 1-1.5g/day, and most brands seem to sell capsules in the 1-1.2g range.

Would you give this to teens or kids?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, Corraleno said:

This is a fairly recent article (12/22) summarizing the research and describing the mechanisms of action:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876034122003021

Most of the research has been in severely ill patients in ICU, using intravenous administration of NAC, with mixed results (it seems the sicker the person is, the less effective NAC is). But the data looks fairly promising for prophylactic and early treatment. Excerpt from the article describing pretty dramatic results when NAC was used prophylactically against flu:

"NAC has been used classically to improve the expectoration in patients with chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, or cystic fibrosis. The clinical applications of NAC cover diverse pathological conditions involving oxidative stress, ARDS, and certain cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, various mechanisms associate it with other benefits such as boosting the immune system, suppressing viral replication, and reducing inflammation [17]. For example, De Flora et al. demonstrated that the treatment with NAC tablets (600 mg) twice daily for six months vs. placebo had a robust and significant protective effect on local symptoms such a coryza, rhinorrhea, sore throat, catarrh and cough, and general symptoms, especially headache and myalgia arthralgia in patients with influenza and influenza-like episodes [18]. Only 25 % of virus-infected subjects in the NAC group developed flu symptoms, contrasting with 79 % of the subjects in the placebo group."

The article recommends 600 mg 2x/day for mild cases and 3x/day for moderate cases.

Is NAC ok to give to kids or teens?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eos said:

I keep seeing this reported as a "new symptom" which is so weird, because this has been a known of symptom going all the way back to Spring of 2020. There are tons of studies about it's prevalence in covid cases in opthamology journals from 2020 🤷‍♀️.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is NAC ok to give to kids or teens?

Yes. I don't know down to what age though. I've seen it used in studies for trichotillomania down to 8 years old, fwiw.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I feel bad because our school district bought a giant warehouse of Covid test kits. I’m supposed to send home 2 with each student every week. The problem is that the parents don’t want anymore. I even give out blow pops to the kids who will take home Covid tests. 

I still have test kits in my car, in my living room, and in my kitchen. This is after I’ve snuck a few loads into the school dumpster. 

I’ve asked if my pharmacy could take them, I’ve asked Goodwill if they will take them, I’ve even brought them to church to see if the older people there wanted some. 

The people in my area are not interested in testing any more at all. 

• Sad 7

5 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

I feel bad because our school district bought a giant warehouse of Covid test kits. I’m supposed to send home 2 with each student every week. The problem is that the parents don’t want anymore. I even give out blow pops to the kids who will take home Covid tests. 

I still have test kits in my car, in my living room, and in my kitchen. This is after I’ve snuck a few loads into the school dumpster. 

I’ve asked if my pharmacy could take them, I’ve asked Goodwill if they will take them, I’ve even brought them to church to see if the older people there wanted some. 

Wow.

Our insurance doesn’t cover tests like some plans do, and we pay for each and every test. They are not inexpensive. So annoying when we are sick and being encouraged to serial test  — it adds up fast! 

I would gladly take a blow pop and a few test kits off your hands if my kids were in your class!

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

Give them away on Facebook MP, CL, or a buy nothing group?    I remember the days when they were hotcakes people couldn't find anywhere.  I hope you find a way to donate them.  I feel so bad they went in the garbage.  You have gone the extra mile to try and donate them.  I understand most people are not testing like they were at the first sign of something, but still I want them in my medicine cabinet incase someone gets sick. 

What are the other teachers doing with them?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

Goodness! I’d gladly take some off your hands! They aren’t cheap, and we still test pretty regularly—at the slightest symptoms or before visiting my grandmother.

When do they expire?

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

People’s CDC COVID-19 Weather Report - People's CDC (substack.com)

The Weather: As of April 13, about 39% of reporting US counties are experiencing substantial or higher COVID transmission based on available data. Iowa (shown in gray) no longer reports COVID data to the CDC as of April 1, 2023.

image.thumb.png.5a85803987612d8ce782536c8baf8681.png

On Variants: XBB.1.5 (Kraken) remains the most prominent variant in the US, representing 78% of cases as of 4/15/2023, a slight decrease from last week. XBB.1.16 (Arcturus) is now designated dark purple on the CDC’s variant proportion graph and is the second most prevalent variant, representing 7.2% of cases, showing a rapid increase over the last few weeks. XBB.1.9.1 (Hyperion) shows a slight increase to 6.5% as the third most prevalent variant.

• Like 1

I had my booster yesterday. I’m now lying in bed remembering why I was procrastinating about that. Thankfully Moderna doesn’t give me a headache but the joint pain and fatigue is something else. Glad I didn’t opt for a flu shot at the same time. I did have bivalent although I’m not sure if that was the best choice given the shift in current circulating strains. Let’s hope it’s worth it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It’s our first go round with trying to figure out timing given that we’ve had covid recently. DH could get another shot, but he had covid in January, and we’ll be traveling (in our RV, and to mostly outdoor and/or uncrowded places) all summer.  I’m thinking he’s likely better off getting it shortly before school starts…except for how there might be a different version by fall. Hmm.

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Medication shortages happening in Aus right now, including Amoxicillin 

My country of origin has a stockpile of that in tablet/capsule form for sure for their hospitals, polyclinics and urgent care. They tend to dispense that like candy 🤦‍♀️ and still do. Wonder whether the Australia govt can purchase from my COO govt since there are daily flights to Australia anyway. Erythromycin was the one that is given less freely.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

recommendations from the Parliamentary Enquiry into Long Covid are coming through. I will be following this story with interest.

They've announced a further fifty million to research post-covid conditions: $50 million for research in to long COVID | Health Portfolio Ministers and Aged Care

Logically, though, if you're concerned about post-covid, you'd do something about Covid. They still won't let children get a booster. My kids had their last shot last March (2022). 

• Like 1

People’s CDC COVID-19 Weather Report - People's CDC (substack.com)

The Weather: As of April 27, about 31% of US counties are experiencing substantial or higher COVID transmission and 47% at moderate transmission based on available data. 

Although fewer parts of the country are experiencing high rates of COVID transmission, the current state of the COVID pandemic requires that we remain vigilant in most areas across the US as this trend similarly occurred in the first half of calendar year 2021.

As of April 1, Iowa (shown in gray) no longer reports COVID data to the CDC (Note: More states may appear in gray as the current Biden administration works to end the Public Health Emergency).

image.thumb.png.b5f3cbec20810af68655436dd0afd514.png

• Like 1