Menu

how weird would it be? Update first post

ktgrok

How weird would it be to have the same couch in both our living room and our family room? I bought a couch on marketplace a few weeks ago, and it is very comfy and we like it a lot. well, someone else is not selling the SAME couch, lol! It's leather, so not as "icky" as buying a fabric sofa used, you know? and so far cats have not clawed this one, and I HATE the current couch in the family room - it smells a bit like dog, the covers don't fit right anymore, etc. 

The one for sale now looks to be in better condition so we'd put it in the living room, and move that one to the family room. 

Edit - first couch was $50, this one is $100, so not out a ton of money if we upgrade to something different later. 

Update:

I got the couch! It is NOT exactly the same, it turns out, lol. But close. However, after working non stop on the other house doing manual labor for a week, DH was willing to go pick it up, but NOT willing to take the old couch out yet, lol. So I have two couches in that room until he gets the energy to move the old one to the garage with DS22. Sigh. Kids are pretending it is theater seating, and the dogs are THRILLED to have His and Hers couches to lay on in there, lol. 

Now I want a chair to match - found one on marketplace but they are asking too much money. I'm going to watch and see if they drop the price. 

IMG_5764.jpg

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Not weird at all. I mean, when I find jeans that work, I buy multiple pairs, lol. Same deal. 😉

Right! I have leggings all the same except color, tank tops all the same except color - that's how I roll, lol. Not sure that DH would agree...but he's napping after our 48 hour home prep marathon, so wanted hive opinion before asking him 🙂

I did find another option, a leather couch and love seat  for the same price, and I like the green color, and it would be nice to have a couch and a loveseat, but the leather looks thin and I'm afraid the cats would leave a lot of marks, or the dog rip it - what do you think? Also would be harder to doctor if it gets scratched - the other one is a brown with lots of natural variation so easy to touch up with some repair stuff or shoe polish even. Not sure I could manage to do that with green!

Green one:  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2014379382067838/

Brown one that is the same as what we have in the living room: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2943127099271630/

You would not be able to see both couches at the same time - this is a map of the downstairs made by my robot vacuum - one would be in the front room, one in the family room. Actually, you can see where the couch goes in the family room - it is that rectangle in the middle. And in the front room there is an indent along the wall - that's the couch in that room. 

IMG_5660.PNG

Not weird. Go for it! Because it is neutral in color, whatever other decorating you do in each room with wall color, cushions, throws, area rugs, and additional furniture pieces like tables, storage pieces, etc. will give the rooms their own distinct "vibe".

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I like the brown one better. Easier to coordinate with. 

Which brown? The first one, or the one I linked later? The first one is $100 but I know it is good quality leather, since I already have one, lol. The other is only $40, more a casual type thing, not sure how thick the leather is. the second one seems a darker color, we do tend to have lighter furniture - lots of grey/brown Ikea stuff. 

Edit - this is the other brown one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/425519005608328/

Edited by ktgrok

3 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I'd probably think you were uber-organized and are coordinating furniture across the house, and would be so impressed and have to reevaluate my life choices.

I'm dying laughing...yeah...so not me. Just lazy - if I like something I stock up. I do have Ikea Hemnes bookcases in two rooms as well - although different colors. And they are mainly different colors because they discontinued the one, lol. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I'd probably think you were uber-organized and are coordinating furniture across the house, and would be so impressed and have to reevaluate my life choices.

This. So much this. It’s probably a thing on decorating shows or in magazines. If not, once they hear about your space, they’ll be all over it!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Which brown? The first one, or the one I linked later? The first one is $100 but I know it is good quality leather, since I already have one, lol. The other is only $40, more a casual type thing, not sure how thick the leather is. the second one seems a darker color, we do tend to have lighter furniture - lots of grey/brown Ikea stuff. 

You linked the $40 one in Scarlett's 50/50 thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a thing;  not weird at all.  In parts of the southwest model homes are decorated with the same color and the same or very very similar furniture throughout to make it appear more expansive and less delineated between rooms.  Same flooring, same wall color, same furniture, etc. It was very odd to us touring houses in the SE that different rooms had different color schemes and flooring throughout, not just kids' bedrooms.  Even kids bedrooms in parts of the SW are painted the accent colors in a cohesive, whole house, coordinated color palette.

This house went from the previous owners' choices of mint green kitchen, federal blue dining room, lavender master bedroom, yellow master bathroom, teal kids' room, white guest bed room, white bonus room, white living room to a very beachy warm beige throughout with greyge lower half of dining room, chocolate brown fabric furniture, dark wood, moss green accent couch, and cream doors and trim.  I have tons of plants and colorful seasonal colored quilts throughout. The few wall hangings and photos are of woods or have woods trees in the background.

4 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

I really like the $100 brown couch a lot.    Are there two of them or are you just concerned about having two brown couches?  It’s not a big deal.  Nobody will notice.  Do what makes you happy.  Life is short.  I would not buy two identical couches for thousands of dollars but  these are good deals.  

I bought that exact same couch a few weeks ago, also off of facebook marketplace, but from someone else. So I'll have the same couch in both the living and family rooms. Which I guess no one thinks is weird, so yay!

And it really is SUPER comfy - like the perfect couch to lay down and nap on. I found DS21 asleep on the one in the living room yesterday, actually, lol. 

• Like 2

• ktgrok changed the title to how weird would it be? Update first post