Menu

Wearing makeup years after stopped. Help with dryness please

MooCow

So now that I'm close to graduating, I've been dabbling in makeup again. I bought a really neat Urban decay foundation that is very lightweight and so far has not made me break out...

The problem is my skin is so dry it just does not look right. I have a few hydraulic acid moisturizers and I have a couple of primers but none of them seem to be helping with my skin's dryness, particularly on my upper cheeks right below my eyes and the nose area. 

Any ideas or recommendations? I'd also appreciate any tips regarding makeup application. It's been so long since I've had a full face of makeup. I did put a bit on Sunday before I went to a party though, and I really like the way my mascara looked but I'm just having issues with dry skin all over my face.

Please help me! Thank you

Apply moisturizer immediately after washing your face with a gentle cleanser, ideally while your skin is just slightly damp (so don’t thoroughly dry it). My absolute favorite is CeraVe cream. And yes, let it sink in for about 15 minutes. Use it morning and night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been told powder foundation for youngsters and liquid foundation for people with dry skin.

My skin has always been sensitive and dry. I use whatever moisturizers I use for my eye area for the entire face.  As for foundation, I use a concealer and find that it is good enough for me to not need to put on any foundation. If I want my face to be more even skin tone, I could layer on my foundation. I do put on a very light glitter blush for festive moods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MooCow said:

I do exfoliate, maybe not often enough? 

Ok, so I just let the moisturizer sit for awhile then. Interesting, thanks!

I bought Cetaphil's extra gentle daily scrub, and it does seem to help. I only use the scrub a couple of days a week since I use retinol based products the other nights, but my skin started to look pretty good about six weeks into the routine. My foundation is sitting on my skin better, and the dryness issues seem to have gone away.

YMMV....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I have age related dry skin and use Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue. I apply it very lightly and build if necessary. 

I do use a lot of moisturizers but that foundation works better than any others I've tried.

What do you mean by "build"?

Mine is a process. Day and Night.

CeraVae Face wash Hyaluronic acid (which apparently hydrates)

CeraVae Face Serum with Hyaluronic acid for Normal to Dry skin. Mine is combination dry and normal so I use this.

I also use a Vitamin C serum occasionally

CeraVae Skin renewing night cream.

I change up the exfoliation, do it alternate days, mostly 3 days a week.

Cervae Eye cream.

I also drink 2 liters of water a day.

With effort the following.

I also use a toner and Kbeauty face masks for hydration. But that is not as often.

Turmeric and sandalwood face mask. 

I used to be low maintenance, but I am at the time in my life when occasional does not work. A day and night routine works. Low maintenance. I am not a make up person, more a skin as clear as possible person so this is right now what works even if I am not diligent,

• Thanks 1

Here you go, I found this. Scroll down to "Coverage" for more on buildable foundation, but I'll pull a quote from there.

https://www.lipsticklatitude.com/2013/07/11/how-to-makeup-foundation/

Some foundations are “buildable,” meaning that you can apply additional thin layers for more coverage without it looking thick or cakey.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have been told powder foundation for youngsters and liquid foundation for people with dry skin.

I'm old, and liquid foundation sits on my skin like a shaggy rug, lol. My favorite is mineral (powder foundation, light blush, "mineral veil", which is a Bare Minerals thing; it's basically a finishing powder on top of everything else). So for this old woman, powder, powder, powder (although I do love gel or cream blush).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are using hyaluronic acid alone as a moisturizer, you may need to occlude it with something with a little oil. Hyaluronic acid can actually dry the skin depending on the humidity of your environment. I cannot explain the science, but maybe look up Penn Smith on YouTube. She’s my go to on skin care. I’m 51. 

Also, look into taking hyaluronic acid as an oral supplement. There is evidence that it is beneficial for aging skin—more so than taking collagen supplements.

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

Application-wise, the kids have it right. Bounce a beauty blender.  I’m prone to occasional small dry spots that do get more noticeable if I “wipe” makeup on. Not so much if I’m just bouncing with a sponge without rubbing everything around.

Also, HD setting powder (HD for high definition, not a particular brand) is quite forgiving, ime.

• Thanks 1