Menu

What was I thinking?

Noreen Claire

DS9 started trumpet lessons today. DS12, who plays the piano every free waking moment, starts saxophone lessons in the next few weeks.

I am sensitive to sound and frequently overwhelmed by the level and duration of the NOISE in my home all.day.long. 🤦

I just ordered stronger ear plugs. Say a prayer for my mental health... I'm going to need it! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

We have a jazz drummer. We have rules - a set time when drumming can take place: between 10 am and 8 pm and/or after school work was done. And no drumming before parents are adequately caffeinated. DS lives in the dorm of our local college, so there is a lot less drumming happening here. And, yeah, what were you thinking?! 😀

25 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

We have a jazz drummer. We have rules - a set time when drumming can take place: between 10 am and 8 pm and/or after school work was done. And no drumming before parents are adequately caffeinated. DS lives in the dorm of our local college, so there is a lot less drumming happening here. And, yeah, what were you thinking?! 😀

We have the same time constraints *theoretically*, but the younger boys all want to play/bang on the piano as well. The poor thing is in rough shape, even though it gets tuned regularly. We are going to have to start thinking about replacing it ...

12 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Yes, ear plugs! We have a violin and flute here, in addition to the piano. The piano is in the same open space as the kitchen, so the rule is no piano playing while dinner is being made or cleaned up.

And that's great for your kids. Are they thrilled?

DS9 was so excited today I could barely get him to eat or do his school work. I'm going to have to hide the trumpet in my room until he's done his work each day!

DS12 eats, sleeps, and breaths piano, so I'm interested how he'll manage two instruments. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

I might need to clear a space in the basement for practicing, so they aren't right in the middle of everything (at least, until the get better?). It's a small house.

I could put them in the garage, but I think the neighbors might complain. 🤣

If you're north of Boston, that might be considered cruel! 

We often have our windows open, and it was sort of fun to have neighbors remark one year, "We can tell you are getting your money's worth for music lessons." LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I have seven siblings and we all played multiple instruments growing up - lots of piano, a couple of violins, a couple of cellos, trumpet, flute, guitar, and voice. Sometimes several of us would practice at the same time (in different rooms of the house) and we’d all try to play louder than anyone else. Obviously trumpet and piano had the advantage here but those high notes on the flute and violin could cut through sometimes too. 

I should maybe apologize to my mother for this. 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

When I was growing up my older brothers had drums, baritone horn, saxophone, trumpet and trombone, while my younger siblings and I had recorders.  (Probably why I value silence so much!) I don't know how my parents ran a business in the front of the house lol. Good luck!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I have seven siblings and we all played multiple instruments growing up - lots of piano, a couple of violins, a couple of cellos, trumpet, flute, guitar, and voice. Sometimes several of us would practice at the same time (in different rooms of the house) and we’d all try to play louder than anyone else. Obviously trumpet and piano had the advantage here but those high notes on the flute and violin could cut through sometimes too. 

I should maybe apologize to my mother for this. 🤔 

This reminds me of my kids.  Thankfully they don't do this often, but they will sometimes sit in the same room with their instruments and play different songs at the same time.  We've had a flute, two violins, and two recorders all going at the same time.  It's horrendous fun. :)

• Haha 1

I would go with a practice/silencer mutes-- around $20 for the trumpet ones.

The student can still 'hear' enough to warm up and practice-- then after 'practicing' they can unmute so you just have to listen to one run through at full sound (they are NOT blowing softer with the mute-- and using a practice mute should not affect the practice outcome-- other than your sanity!).

I would also suggest a dedicated practice room/large closet if possible.  Add LOTS of sound-proofing panels.  For bedrooms and such they make soundproofing panels that can be painted or printed on (so they look like artwork).  Don't forget sound absorbing flooring or mats too!

My Dad is a retired PS band director and currently runs a huge homeschool band program in Oklahoma (and now Texas)... this is the advice he gives.

• Like 4

Another vote for "I don't know what you were thinking," but I made my kids do any recorder practicing outdoors.  We did do several years of piano lessons.  I have one kid who has panic attack reactions to sounds, so multiple instrument practices would be really hard here.  I do think it's wonderful for your kids, though!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Junie said:

This reminds me of my kids.  Thankfully they don't do this often, but they will sometimes sit in the same room with their instruments and play different songs at the same time.  We've had a flute, two violins, and two recorders all going at the same time.  It's horrendous fun. 🙂

At my crazy house our normal was drum set, bass guitar, and flute. It was the piccolo that drove me to noise cancelling headphones to take the edge off.:tongue: I was their biggest fan so they were always a little offended when I reached for the headphones.

• Like 1

Get a digital piano and headphones. A nice digital piano is semi-portable, never needs tuning, has similar sound and feel to a real piano but can also sound like a harpsichord, many pieces are nicer in harpsichord mode. Yamaha is a good brand. You want an 88 key weighted keyboard.  I actually like ours better than a regular piano since you can practice at night and also use harpsichord mode.

I played trumpet for 15 years growing up, I started young. I still play occasionally. There are mutes you can buy that make it much quieter. I use one when I play at night. Here is one very similar to the one I have, it works well: https://www.amazon.com/Harmon-Aluminum-Wow-Trumpet-Mute/dp/B002Q0WTG0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=trumpet+mute+quiet&qid=1632456648&sr=8-5

This one might work, it is cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Aluminum-Practice-Trumpet-Silencer/dp/B01LZJKPGC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=trumpet+mute+quiet&qid=1632456648&sr=8-4

They have mutes fox a sax as well, just Google them, I have no idea what is a good mute for quiet sax playing.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Thanks 1