Menu

One wall, two girls, how to do dressers?

busymama7

I need new dressers in our girls room that we are re doing.  The way their beds are going to be set up and the kallax shelving we have for toys leaves only one wall to do dressers on. I can't decide what I want.  Two matching?  One low with a mirror and one taller chest?  I can't really do two taller chests because one is only 6 and couldn't reach the top. Only one dresser with closet shelving to add space?  I could add a bookshelf or two to make it flow and look right.  But I really can't come up with a good plan.  The room is painted and it's time to do this and I don't know what I want 🤷‍♀️

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 1

Just now, bolt. said:

Two tall chests. Your younger daughter doesn't have to use all the drawers right away, but will probably appreciate them in the years to come.

Ok so I've thought of this.  But it seems like they need a short, long dresser with a mirror. Because, girls.  However maybe it's fine because their closet has mirrored doors and we have a long vanity in the bathroom.

3 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Ok so I've thought of this.  But it seems like they need a short, long dresser with a mirror. Because, girls.  However maybe it's fine because their closet has mirrored doors and we have a long vanity in the bathroom.

Why would they need more than one mirror in the room? If so, can you just mount one to the wall somewhere?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Why would they need more than one mirror in the room? If so, can you just mount one to the wall somewhere?

You are right. With the closet doors they don't really. I just had it in my head that they needed a long dresser with a mirror on it. But they really don't.  I wasn't liking the idea of one long dresser and one tall or two long.  But I think two tall could work fine. It's what their brothers have on one wall.  

If you don't need the dresser for clothes room, then don't get one at all.  If you do, I'd get the one that fits your clothing needs.  Other options that might fit your needs- cubbies with bins, book cases with doors in the bottom, under the bed storage, plastic drawer sets in the closet.  

We got this for one of our bedrooms, and I love it.  Lots of room for clothes, plus all that counter space which comes in so handy!  We have one mirror that hangs on the wall above it (24x30 -- hanging horizontally).

We didn't get it on this website though.  (I can't seem to find the one we got it on.)

https://www.ojcommerce.com/tvilum-diana-8-drawer-dresser-7545549ak

In any event, I like the long, low ones like this, partly because the drawers are lower, but I also love all the counter space on top.  Plus it frees up more room on the walls to hang pictures, etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, regentrude said:

Think whether you need dressers at all. None of us ever had a dresser in any of the bedrooms. We store clothes in the closet. Girl too.

I, for one, would really benefit if you would share life advice. I remember long ago you posted about having cold dinners of sandwiches and whatnot. Now you’re dresser-free. I think it’s great to see someone challenging assumptions of how things have to be done, in order to make them work for her. I seriously would love to get more of your tips.

I started a thread to discuss such matters. 

My closet had the IKEA argot system installed (slightly crooked) by previous owner, but one shelf just collapsed. I discovered they no longer sell them, and nothing they do sell is compatible. I am not sure what to do now, whether to start again or what. Ugh.

Edited by stripe

We put dressers in the closets and shelves along with a small hanging area for clothes storage.  Even our bedroom we don't have a dresser outside the closet.  Two youngest have IKea four drawer dressers they really like.  They hold a lot.  Out of season clothes are stored in bins at top of closet.  Works for us.  Freed up a lot of space in their rooms.

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

If you don't need the dresser for clothes room, then don't get one at all.  If you do, I'd get the one that fits your clothing needs.  Other options that might fit your needs- cubbies with bins, book cases with doors in the bottom, under the bed storage, plastic drawer sets in the closet.  

We do need the space for clothes.   Their closet is large and we could switch to internal storage but right now things like American girl jeep and other large toys live on the bottom. I would rather a nice neat dresser or two in the room then all those toys. We have a large kallax unit for toys and don't want to also use one for clothes. The room is quite large actually so space for a dresser or two isn't an issue.  I just couldn't picture what would look good but I think I've settled on two tall ones.    The ones I like are both out of stock at Ikea though 😕. I am debating going to an actual furniture store but what I can see online their similar size dressers are 3 or so times the price.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

We do need the space for clothes.   Their closet is large and we could switch to internal storage but right now things like American girl jeep and other large toys live on the bottom. I would rather a nice neat dresser or two in the room then all those toys. We have a large kallax unit for toys and don't want to also use one for clothes. The room is quite large actually so space for a dresser or two isn't an issue.  I just couldn't picture what would look good but I think I've settled on two tall ones.    The ones I like are both out of stock at Ikea though 😕. I am debating going to an actual furniture store but what I can see online their similar size dressers are 3 or so times the price.  

Someone asked why you would need another mirror if the closet doors are mirrored.  If the doors are opposite a window, you may have difficulty with backlighting when they get older and are dressing and putting on makeup by themselves.  Dd really liked having a full-length mirror between two tall dressers as a teen. She would use the top of one dresser as a make-up stand, and set her hair implements on top of the other, then stand as close to the mirror as desired while she got presentable. 

20 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I need new dressers in our girls room that we are re doing.  The way their beds are going to be set up and the kallax shelving we have for toys leaves only one wall to do dressers on. I can't decide what I want.  Two matching?  One low with a mirror and one taller chest?  I can't really do two taller chests because one is only 6 and couldn't reach the top. Only one dresser with closet shelving to add space?  I could add a bookshelf or two to make it flow and look right.  But I really can't come up with a good plan.  The room is painted and it's time to do this and I don't know what I want 🤷‍♀️

I did one dresser and then also did closet shelving. But if you had taller dressers they share, you can let the younger child use the lower drawers on both dressers while older child uses the higher drawers. I, personally, prefer to limit the dressers in the room and use closet stuff as much as possible. Nice thing about a lower dresser that is wide is being able to put things on top and have a mirror. Nice thing about higher dressers that are thinner is they fit in more places.

41 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Someone asked why you would need another mirror if the closet doors are mirrored.  If the doors are opposite a window, you may have difficulty with backlighting when they get older and are dressing and putting on makeup by themselves.  Dd really liked having a full-length mirror between two tall dressers as a teen. She would use the top of one dresser as a make-up stand, and set her hair implements on top of the other, then stand as close to the mirror as desired while she got presentable. 

That's a good point. There is a small window directly behind and the larger one is at a 90 degree angle from the mirror but on the opposite corner so would also cast light towards the mirror.  Thanks!