Menu

Help me save my pan

El...

Along the lines of the thread about hive advice, I need some!

The kids burned popcorn in a stainless steel pan. It's a good pan, cuisinart that I've had for 20 years, and I am having a heck of a time getting the black spots of carbon off!

I've tried multiple soaks and scrubs with Barkeeper's Friend powder. I have boiled water in it with a touch of Dawn, and then with both Dawn and vinegar. I have soaked a dishwasher tablet in it overnight. And of course we've all scrubbed and scraped with each attempt. 

Help me out? 

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We have salvaged pans using an acidic food to cook in them for about half an hour: tomatoes, something with lime juice..

For a last resort you can probably use ammonia. It stinks to high heaven, but it cleans all the things.

I hadn't thought of ammonia! Thanks. I can do it outdoors. 

28 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

the solution is very simple. My toolmaker dh fixed one of my pans once. He attached some steel wool to a piece of dowel. Put the dowel into a electric drill and polished the metal pan . it worked like a treat. 

Yeah I was going to mention steel wool too.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

the solution is very simple. My toolmaker dh fixed one of my pans once. He attached some steel wool to a piece of dowel. Put the dowel into a electric drill and polished the metal pan . it worked like a treat. 

How smart! 

• Thanks 1

Cream of tartar boiled (with water, of course) will get a lot of stuff off. I googled for proportions (it has been a while, and when I've done this, I seriously doubt that I measured anything) and found a suggestion to combine it with vinegar. Or steel wool. Oven cleaner (stick it in a garbage bag) if you're desperate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elroisees said:

I hadn't thought of ammonia! Thanks. I can do it outdoors. 

Ammonia works best if you seal it in a plastic bag and let it sit overnight.  You don't have to use much.  The fumes do the work.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Thanks 1

I have yet to meet a pan issue this can’t handle: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Chainmail-Scrubbing-Pad-Red/dp/B07FRVWBYT/ref=asc_df_B07FRVWBYT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807195319&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11253113212916617469&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018794&hvtargid=pla-606614638003&psc=1

I prefer it to steel wool because it doesn’t hurt my skin. Otherwise, that would be a good option too. I know I’ve used it successfully on burned popcorn stains before.

• Thanks 1

Boil regular hydrogen peroxide in the pan then thrown in some baking soda and a drop of Dawn.

Let boil until there is just enough liquid left to form a paste. Let cool enough so you don't get burned. Use paste to scrub.

If it is really bad it mighty take multiple passes.

Alternatively, use a steam clearer if you have one. 

Bill

• Thanks 1

Go get finish dishwashing tablets (gel pack).  Put it in the pan, pour hot water on top, put on a lid, and leave it for 12 hours. Finish has an enzyme that breaks down carbon. Dump, scrub lightly with a Brillo pad (soap + steel wool, I buy them at Dollar Tree or Walmart).  If it doesn’t come right off easily, repeat the process.  I’ve never had it take more than 3 times.  

I found this on Pinterest, but it’s saved pans we though were ruined for me & two of my real-life friends. 

• Like 1