Menu

Plus size swimwear, especially capris/shirt styles

kbutton

Amazon. Coming from someone who doesn't buy clothes online, that's really hard to admit, but there it is. Of all the things I thought I'd ever buy online, that was literally the last thing I thought of. Seriously.

I think the secret is in the photos that those lovely & brave ladies post of them in the suit. I read ALL of the comments and scrutinize the photos. I look to see how the suit fits on the areas I'm particular about, how things are contained, lifted, how does the pattern look, etc. Then, I'll order two in different sizes.

I just went through this and ordered a total of, I think, eight suits in four different styles/patterns and kept two. Normally, I'll try on about a dozen in the stores and reluctantly buy one. And pay 3x the price!

If you have the UPS store handy for returns, I'd definitely try Amazon.

• Like 3

You're wanting Lands End. The trick is to order EVERY SIZE you might need. So try 2-3 styles for the tops and 2 lengths on the shorts and BUY MULTIPLE SIZES. 

The other trick is that they sell both regular misses sizing AND bra sizing. So depending on your upper endowment, you might find bra sized swimwear solves your problem when paired with happy shorts. 

The reason you need to buy the sizes is because there's nothing worse than realizing you wish you could compare one up/down, only to call and find out the print you loved is gone! So if you want a print and want availability, buy it all upfront and return what doesn't work.

Now I *think* I saw some similar type swimwear in Meijer in the big big city (like in a HUGE Meijer), so you could see about that. But me, I'm all over LandsEnd. I like their tankinis (smooth) and blouse still, their swim shirt coverups, their swim shorts. I think I wear the middle length for the swim shorts, because that takes it to the top of my knee. The longest length is the bottom of my knee, which really isn't quite the look I want (culottes to swim in?). There are companies that make other types of swim products. Me, I'm comfortable in this. And I wear a swimsuit bottom (ie. panty style) under the swim shorts.

So yes that's 4 pieces, lol. But with that, I can go from pool to inside, into a store, anything and feel comfortable. It's a look consistent with me. I tried the swim skirts, which can be long, but they flip up. 

As long as you buy multiple sizes of each piece you think you'll like, you'll figure it out. It will be a pain, but then it will be SO nice.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

The other trick is that they sell both regular misses sizing AND bra sizing. So depending on your upper endowment, you might find bra sized swimwear solves your problem when paired with happy shorts. 

I wish that could solve my problem. I have a shorter torso, so I have extra length that just wants to fall down when the bra gets soggy. And my bOOks have never been, um, perky. More like let's hang out below the built in bra, lol! 

I did see some some brands online (Modli?) that have a separate swim bra to go under the swim shirts. 

I am not liking much at Land's End. Too much arm showing and too short of shorts. No one wants to see my upper arms. I am all over their size charts. Sizes available are limited.

It's been twenty years since I ordered from Land's End. Their selection now is not as good, and you used to be able to choose your bra options. I was still all over their chart (except for my bust size, which was not on the chart at all).

I am not seeing an athletic look outside of one long-sleeved version and the capris. 

This is the best I can do for a top (arms!!! I need arms!): https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-keyhole-high-neck-modest-tankini-top-swimsuit-adjustable-straps/id_348733?attributes=8063,43307,43325,44094,44256,44454,44966,45134 

Bottoms: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_354226?attributes=8063,43307,43325,43394,44256,44966

or 

(these look like a very bad idea, but I can't do monochromatic or I will look like a cow) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_354228?attributes=43307,43325,43394,44256,44966,47375

4 hours ago, Katy said:

My daily email from Land’s End says swimwear is 50% off today.  

They seem to be on sale, but not 50% off. Maybe they upcharge for Plus sizes.

16 hours ago, kbutton said:

I prefer to wear something that is more like athletic wear (capris, shirt) than a regular swimsuit.

Reiterating

Shorts will.not.work.

I will swim in a huge t-shirt, regular bra, and yoga capris before I put on shorts. While I'd like to eventually rejoin the Y and swim, my urgent need for the summer is swimming in a lake. It will be my luck that after all of this, I will end up on my period and unable to swim anyway (no, there are zero products, disposable or regular that work for me post-children.

I really just want to cry. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Amazon. 

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Yep, Amazon

Make sure the item has free returns. My girls and I swam last season in swim shorts from Amazon and they held up well. 

Are we talking about Plus sizes. Seriously? There is NOTHING that has free returns (Prime Wardrobe?) and meets my criteria except maybe one or two long-sleeved shirts, and I don't want long-sleeved. 

I got four pages of monokinis and lots of bOOks popping out of the most normal options.

What am I doing wrong?

16 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Are we talking about Plus sizes. Seriously? There is NOTHING that has free returns (Prime Wardrobe?) and meets my criteria except maybe one or two long-sleeved shirts, and I don't want long-sleeved. 

I got four pages of monokinis and lots of bOOks popping out of the most normal options.

What am I doing wrong?

Yes, plus sized. I wear XL/2x tops, size 18 jeans. 

Last summer I swam in this top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ABDLJ88?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image and these shorts (which I loved) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FN8S7FX?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image . (I wore a quick dry sports bra under the top.)

This was cute but I returned it (found I prefer a separate bra/top).  https://www.amazon.com/AlvaQ-Tankini-Swimsuits-Swimwear-Bathing/dp/B078SXVVZS/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=95JZCPK7ECT8NYBPNEFZ

And a few months ago I snagged a couple of Lands End tanks (probably because they were old print with DDD cups). No biggie, I cut the cups out because prefer the separate bra. So $8 for a LE tank.  https://www.amazon.com/Lands-End-Womens-Tankini-Regular/dp/B08XYGM7WD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Lands%2Bend%2Bhigh%2Bneck&qid=1619468459&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Edited by alisoncooks

2 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Last summer I swam in this top: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ABDLJ88?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image and these shorts (which I loved) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FN8S7FX?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image . (I wore a quick dry sports bra under the top.)

This was cute but I returned it (found I prefer a separate bra/top).  https://www.amazon.com/AlvaQ-Tankini-Swimsuits-Swimwear-Bathing/dp/B078SXVVZS/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=95JZCPK7ECT8NYBPNEFZ

And a few months ago I snagged a couple of Lands End tanks (probably because they were old print with DDD cups). No biggie, I cut the cups out because prefer the separate bra. So $8 for a LE tank. 

When I select free returns, nothing like this shows up. 

Does their search just stink?

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I wear size 18, but the size charts for the suits you linked aren't even close to my measurements. 

I must wear different brands. I know some stores just make Plus sizes bigger without actually changing the shape of the garment--those clothes never fit me. 

44 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am not liking much at Land's End. Too much arm showing and too short of shorts. No one wants to see my upper arms. I am all over their size charts. Sizes available are limited.

It's been twenty years since I ordered from Land's End. Their selection now is not as good, and you used to be able to choose your bra options. I was still all over their chart (except for my bust size, which was not on the chart at all).

I am not seeing an athletic look outside of one long-sleeved version and the capris. 

This is the best I can do for a top (arms!!! I need arms!): https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-keyhole-high-neck-modest-tankini-top-swimsuit-adjustable-straps/id_348733?attributes=8063,43307,43325,44094,44256,44454,44966,45134 

Bottoms: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_354226?attributes=8063,43307,43325,43394,44256,44966

or 

(these look like a very bad idea, but I can't do monochromatic or I will look like a cow) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_354228?attributes=43307,43325,43394,44256,44966,47375

They seem to be on sale, but not 50% off. Maybe they upcharge for Plus sizes.

That often doesn’t fully show up until you’re ready to check out. Doesn’t matter if you don’t like them. 

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

It doesn't look long enough to come over my hips. If I am wearing form fitting bottoms (the only choices long enough are form-fitting), it needs to cover my butt a little.

image.thumb.png.68f54fc32fe1f803b651e53780647604.png

This looks promising on Amazon until you find out that their Plus size swim bottoms do not follow this size chart at all. Not even close. 

This provides no hip size: https://www.amazon.com/Urchics-Womens-Capris-Shorts-Tankini/dp/B07QRZNQ86/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=300M0QJJAJULK&dchild=1&keywords=swim+capris+for+women+plus+size&qid=1619470666&sprefix=swim+capris+%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A16ZBOTVMM1MQD&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJQTc5TTJLQ1lKT1AmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDA1MjUzR1Q5VzBCREQ5NkFaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3Nzk2OTIxMEYzMkZERzVOWUtDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This page looks promising, but I can't figure out what the sizing even means, and everything is sold as a set of top and bottom: image.thumb.png.33c231f4576f947638fd1c763587584c.png

How does anyone find clothes on Amazon? 

https://www.amazon.com/Septangle-Womens-Capris-Outdoor-Leggings/dp/B075SXYYFW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=XBTMHBAB96RB&dchild=1&keywords=plus%2Bsize%2Bswim%2Bcapris%2Bfor%2Bwomen&qid=1619472117&sprefix=Plus%2Bsize%2Bswim%2Bca%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1    (Don't look at the size chart.  Go to the reviews and click on 'weight' and then click your weight if it's listed.  People who listed their weight will show up and you can see what size they ordered) 

I'm still looking...  

but I wanted to come back and tell you something (you probably don't want to hear 😉).  

Last month, dh and I went to the beach for a couple days.   There were 2 plus size ladies there in bikinis with their very slim mother.   Now, I am plus size.  So when I say they were very plus size, trust me.    They were both wearing regular bikini tops and high waisted bottoms.   They rocked that look.  I looked at dh and said how happy I was to see those 2 ladies so confident in themselves and wearing what made them happy.  He said the same thing, in fact, he said he liked seeing people dress however makes them happy.   Now, obviously if you're looking for modest swim clothes, you might not feel comfortable in a bikini (I don't, btw).   But my point is, we (collective womankind) are all shapes and sizes and what makes us ugly is an ugly attitude, not our pants size.   You, kbutton, are a beauty whether you admit it or not.  😍

now, I'm off to keep looking.  🥰

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I'm still looking...  

but I wanted to come back and tell you something (you probably don't want to hear 😉).  

Last month, dh and I went to the beach for a couple days.   There were 2 plus size ladies there in bikinis with their very slim mother.   Now, I am plus size.  So when I say they were very plus size, trust me.    They were both wearing regular bikini tops and high waisted bottoms.   They rocked that look.  I looked at dh and said how happy I was to see those 2 ladies so confident in themselves and wearing what made them happy.  He said the same thing, in fact, he said he liked seeing people dress however makes them happy.   Now, obviously if you're looking for modest swim clothes, you might not feel comfortable in a bikini (I don't, btw).   But my point is, we (collective womankind) are all shapes and sizes and what makes us ugly is an ugly attitude, not our pants size.   You, kbutton, are a beauty whether you admit it or not.  😍

now, I'm off to keep looking.  🥰

I might be able to agree about attitude, but it's hard to live out my attitude while looking like a caricature of myself, honestly. I like what I wear to reflect my own tastes, but the reality is that I am stuck wearing what fits, not what I like. I feel like I am lying when I walk out of a store with new clothes. I have the tiniest wardrobe known to mankind because there are so few things that fit that I would choose to wear (too frilly, too childish, too loud, wrong colors, polyester) or it's uncomfortable (I mourn the loss of cotton--I get really hot in poly blends, and they smell funny). I often only wear a fraction of what I buy. I buy it knowing I have to wear something, but then I can't make myself put it on when I get it home. I see fat women in cute clothes and ask where they get them, but I never find clothes like them in the same stores, or else, nothing fits in that store (I am not fatter, I am just really, really weirdly proportioned).

Editing the most personal out now that WildflowerMom has seen this. 

Edited by kbutton
  • Sad 1

@WildflowerMom I think the shirt variety looks like it will yield something.

The bottoms are the sticking point. Either they don't actually have inches for sizes (and yes, I looked at reviews for the Amazon capris, but the one closest in size to me by weight has a different build), or they are out of stock in sizes that look like they will fit.

Return policies...ugh. I think I wouldn't mind if I felt like my chances of a good fit were higher. I will have to order multiple sizes no matter what.

I will come back to this later though. This helps cut down the overwhelm.

• Like 1

@WildflowerMom, sorry for all the over-explaining. It's this hard when I shop in person too. I take most of the store into the dressing room only to come out with maybe 3-4 items that fit (or I can find one piece of an outfit but nothing that matches it, so I can't even buy the thing that fits because it won't go with anything I have at home either). I have always, always been this way. Shoe shopping is just as bad--if I do find something somewhat dressy to wear, it's a guarantee I won't find shoes to go with it. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Katy said:

You can find everything you want at Land’s End. Don’t pay full price, they have 40% off sales at least once every few weeks. 

Enthusiastic agreement here. I ordered some capri leggings with attached skirt and love them. I tried on numerous plus tops and settled on two that I love. I also have a looser swim shirt that is meant to go over a suit that is wonderful. After years of lesser options, my loyalty is firmly with Land's End for the quality and fit.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_352890?attributes=13774

I dislike finding swimwear oh so much, for numerous reasons that I won't enumerate. But when I was about to travel a few years ago and felt I needed to have something, just in case, I bought these leggings with skirt attached (because I needed my legs covered and couldn't stand the idea of someone looking at my rear in just leggings) and found the sizing was accurate. I also bought a high waisted swim bottom to go under them, because I needed to feel I had that extra layer. I bought a high necked tankini for the top, with a coordinating swimwear material hoodie. All from Lands End.

Of course, I didn't end up wearing it while on that vacation, after all, but at least I have something now that I would not feel terribly uncomfortable in, though I would still feel really unfashionable. The more skin covered, the better, for me, which does not go very well with swimwear shopping.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-hooded-full-zip-long-sleeve-rash-guard-upf-50-sun-protection-cover-up-pockets-print/id_345972?attributes=44967,46346&dysku=5578993

That is the jacket, I think, though mine is a cobalt blue.

This is the kind of tankini I bought, though a different pattern https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-chlorine-resistant-high-neck-upf-50-sun-protection-modest-tankini-top-swimsuit/id_342536?attributes=44093,44967,46151

So my swimwear pretty much looks like regular clothes, but is waterproof.

Edited by Storygirl

Are there any that have shelf bras only and not built in cups?  I need plus size swim wear, preferably chlorine resistant, and I need the back to make an X (otherwise stuff falls off my shoulders), and I have never in my life found a built in bra that fits me.  I've never managed to make anything from Land's End work, but I would be deliriously happy if it did.  

Edited by Terabith

15 hours ago, kbutton said:

I wear size 18, but the size charts for the suits you linked aren't even close to my measurements. 

I must wear different brands. I know some stores just make Plus sizes bigger without actually changing the shape of the garment--those clothes never fit me. 

Idk. I will say that I *rarely* use the size charts on Amazon. They're just consistently inaccurate or just a standard/irrelevant sizing chart (not specific to the actual item of clothing). 

I mostly go by reviews. I order clothes from Amazon very frequently, and I very frequently return things. That's just part of it for me (and worth it for me to avoid clothes shopping in stores, lol). 

I get what you mean about making plus sizes bigger. I've bought capris before in a 2x from Amazon...and they seem to expect that size to be 6'5". Um...nope. 😄

Question for those who recommend Land's End swimwear.  How true to size are they, specifically in the bust area.  My biggest issue with bathing suits is always no support or my girls just want to spill out of the top.  So, finding something that properly support me up top is a top priority.  I'm hesitant to order something so expensive if their return policy isn't good.  I've been burned on Amazon so many times with reviews saying it fit true to size and then my boobs not even fitting in them at all.

The modest swimwear industry probably has some stuff with more coverage, but I don't know how they're priced.  You know, I rather envy all of you with the strength of character to actually make returns through the mail.  I have a serious mental block with mailed returns.  That item is just gonna live with me forever.

• Like 1

I know you said you looked at Land's End and wasn't impressed but I'm going to put another plug in for them. I have two pair of the Swim leggings and they are awesome. Super comfortable, even for lap swimming. I have worn them in the ocean and in the pool. I am plus-sized but also I have super fair skin and so it's just easier for me to have more covered when I'm in the sun all day. I usually wear a suit, the leggings and a swim shirt. The swim shirts are long-sleeved and comfy and provide good UV protection. They also dry quickly once you are out of the water. 

Also, you can pick bra sizes still...it's just not available for everything. But I just ordered two new suits from them and I was able to pick the cup size. 

So, what is this magical concept of "true to size?" I am sure people are talking at least partly about pushing back on vanity sizing, but never in my entire life have I been able to buy the same size anything from multiple stores. Not when skinny, not when fluffy, not when fat. Heck, there are times that the same size in the same store isn't even consistent. The idea of "true to size" is an elusive fairy tale in my world, lol!

1 hour ago, Alice said:

I know you said you looked at Land's End and wasn't impressed but I'm going to put another plug in for them. I have two pair of the Swim leggings and they are awesome. Super comfortable, even for lap swimming. I have worn them in the ocean and in the pool. I am plus-sized but also I have super fair skin and so it's just easier for me to have more covered when I'm in the sun all day. I usually wear a suit, the leggings and a swim shirt. The swim shirts are long-sleeved and comfy and provide good UV protection. They also dry quickly once you are out of the water. 

Also, you can pick bra sizes still...it's just not available for everything. But I just ordered two new suits from them and I was able to pick the cup size. 

I can't find something to match the leggings. That's a big part of the problem. I don't want long sleeves. I am hot all the time. The shirts look very short on the models, and I want my butt covered. I am glad to hear the leggings are comfortable in case I have to mix and match from multiple stores (the return nightmare gets worse that way, sigh). 

Why do you wear a suit with the leggings and shirt? Just curious--I am hoping to not have to wear a million layers. 

So, asking in case it clarifies things for multiple readers...what are the bras like in the swim shirts? Are they cups just attached to the front? Do they actually go all the way around with elastic and/or adjust? Unless it strongly resembles something like a real bra, I am likely to fall out the bottom of the bra. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I tend to take Amazon reviews "true to size" as more of a confirmation that it's American sizing (vs Asian). Lots of these clothes are imports and are sized impossibly small. (Where a 2x is more like an American M/L.)

That's helpful!

I have heard it asked in other contexts too, but this makes a lot of sense.