Menu

nm

Drama Llama

Step 1. Release any guilt. Really.

Step 2. (There isn't one if you do step 1.)

Alternatively, if you audiobook, you could consider listening to whatever vol of TAN's Story of Civilization is appropriate. While not cheap, they are good. Actually, I'd say they are better than good. (Unless, of course, my memory is failing me, and you aren't Catholic. I am beyond sleep deprived at the moment, thanks to a teething baby and insomnia that's out of control, so I could be confusing you with someone else. Then, SOC probably isn't the right choice.)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Can someone either help me feel less guilty about this, or give me a better idea? 

Please don't feel guilty about this. Even kids who DO take history in grade 8 often forget it, and your DS has had more reasons than most to forget about everything he's learned this year. The fact that you kept up with his math and English is already heroic. 

I don't think I remember anything at all I learned in grade 7 and 8 other than the English language. We moved to Canada in the middle of grade 6, I changed schools between grade 6 and grade 7, and I did barely any homework in grades 7 and 8. My mom was newly divorced for the second time, my whole family (including many beloved grandparents) were suddenly in different countries from me, and I didn't speak the language. It was a rough couple of years.

And you know what? I'm fine. I'm totally fine. Maybe I know a bit less Canadian history than I should, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

We ‘skipped’ history this year b/c I had other goals for the year (namely, EF skills). Our districts splits history between 7th (to 1865) and 8th (1865-modern) so DS will watch a few movies/instructional videos to cover the basics and read some graphic novels for key figures (he’s already read a bunch of these for fun). They're gonna study this again as juniors/seniors anyway. As long as they can read well, this is small potatoes. I’m basically giving some summer busy work to keep him occupied until school starts again. We’ll be out and about a lot this summer.

Don't feel guilty.  If you really want to work some in, I have ideas like:
-watch historically-set movies together
-find some local sites to go to.
-watch Mysteries Of The Unknown, which is just a repackaging of Mysteries at The Museum.  I can turn on an episode here and we end up with discussions about it or other connections.  It's a corny show and sometimes the connections they make are far-fetched.  Like, the one episode I had to do a double take because I knew the event referenced and I knew where the artifact was, and it certainly wasn't where they were filming.  They ended the segment with "and used an artifact just like the one seen here, at the XXX museum in YYY."
BUT, we also discovered that our area has a fire museum, a plumbing museum, and a few other oddball places because of that show. 😄

• Haha 1

You could assess via standardized test instead of portfolio review.

Otherwise, consider an Ohio history unit.  Read Along the Ohio Trail.  If you feel safe, go on some local field trips, if not do some virtual trips.  Add in some additional readings or a small project (he could plan a future family trip to some Ohio sites he'd like to visit).  

Oops, Sorry.  I  just realized I had you mixed up with someone from Ohio.  Ohio history wouldn't work for someone in another state, but your own state's history would be an easy option.    

Edited by Sherry in OH
mistaken identity

If he is going to enroll for 8th why do US History over the summer? If I'm misunderstanding then I recommend the Critical Thinking USHistory Detective workbook. It is a 2 book set, so book 1 would cover roughly the first half of US history. It is reasonably thorough without being difficult. There are 65 lessons plus regular bonus activities, but if he starts soonish and maybe does one in the morning and one in the evening...

They also sell a World History version which I haven't looked at, but might be a way to get history done without doing more US History.

• Like 1

"Social Studies" is a pretty big category - even if you haven't formally taught any history, I'm betting he was learned plenty of social studies. He has been through a pandemic, a death, combining multi-generational households, and soon a birth. That is a lot of psychology, sociology, human development, government and current events.

In any case - no guilt!!

• Like 3

Since he is repeating grade 8, don’t worry about US history crash course before that. Social studies does not have to be history as you noted.

Yes it was a tough year in your house. That’s ok. Play time in summer is important.

To meet requirements with review, you have a good idea. I don’t know what that means in your state. If I had to prove something quickly for reviews and such and need less stress approach, I would find a short workbook on the topic.  I’d probably go with State studies or state history and pick a resource on something like teachers pay teachers. Nothing wrong with world religions either. But for this situation,  I wouldn't try to make a unit myself. I'd go with something short and premade.   For state histor/state studies, I liked statehistory.net for stuff like that. there were even "condensed" lesson plans to get stuff done. get some photos of things around state (travel brochure, or internet). 

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

I know I shouldn’t do US history, I am just wondering if I should feel guilty about not replacing it with some other kind of history. 

Nope. Definitely not. 

Think about it: what exactly would you be optimizing by doing some sort of history with him in the summer? Learning? Probably not. Mental health? No. Preparation for next year? No, not that. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I know I shouldn’t do US history, I am just wondering if I should feel guilty about not replacing it with some other kind of history. 

Definitely no guilt. Social studies is not limited to history. You might have to do some social studies to meet some legal portfolio thing you mentioned. That I don't know. But if that is legally required, then go for minimum  needed for this one subject given the big picture of all that went on this year in your personal family life.

• Like 1

Does he know the US states and capitals? If so, do you think having him fill in a blank map would be enough evidence? (If he doesn't have them down, maybe something like this online activity to practice?) Or some kind of geography or civics workbook that can be done in just a few minutes a day, like this from Moving Beyond the Page? That way you have something on paper, and that's good enough. I would not try to do US history now.

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I don't actually know what happens if I fail.  I mean the worst thing I think they could do is make him go back to public school to repeat the grade, and since that's what I actually plan on doing anyway, I am not too panicked about this review.  

You don't seem like the kind of person they'd fail, frankly. Just make something up, lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

This is the first review where I don't have pictures and information about their brother.  So, I don't get sympathy points.  

But no I'm feeling guilty about failing my kid, not worried about failing my review.  

Oh, BaseballandHockey... I'm not a huggy person, but I wish I could give you a hug or something (assuming you like hugs.) You are so not failing your kid. You're doing your best in a really, really, really hard situation. We're all impressed you've managed to do all that you've done this year -- it must have taken herculean effort. 

5 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

But no I'm feeling guilty about failing my kid, not worried about failing my review.  

Yeah, no.  You are NOT failing your kid.  You are by all available evidence a loving, devoted, highly competent mother whose family has had a truly hellish year.  

You kept him on track with math, which is IMNSHO the single most important thing you had to do academics-wise.  And it sounds like he did a lot of other learning, too.  So huge kudos to you. As others have said, I can't imagine how difficult this must have been.  

Middle school social studies ... whatever.  Just put something in the portfolio and call it done.  Use your time off to rest, and heal, and let your DS do the same.  School will start again soon enough and it will not matter one teeny tiny little whit that he didn't study US history this year.

• Thanks 1

Just to be clear.  When you are your child's 8th grade teacher, and you tell the principal that he needs to do 8th grade again, that is like the definition of failing your child. I mean I might have also failed him in less literal ways.  But I LITERALLY am failing my child. 

I didn't teach him math.  I hired a tutor. 

... who taught him math, yes? And didn’t you put in full work days that paid for that tutor? You weren’t twiddling your thumbs, and frankly, if you had been, it’d have been more than understandable.

That is the sum total of my math homeschooling.  My other kid, I didn't even do that.  

... because he was making great progress without you. It’s not like you checked out!!

Thank you both for being sweet about it, though. 

We aren’t being sweet. We’re being realistic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Just to be clear.  When you are your child's 8th grade teacher, and you tell the principal that he needs to do 8th grade again, that is like the definition of failing your child. I mean I might have also failed him in less literal ways.  But I LITERALLY am failing my child. 

I didn't teach him math.  I hired a tutor.  That is the sum total of my math homeschooling.  My other kid, I didn't even do that.  

Thank you both for being sweet about it, though. 

You don’t need to tell them tho. When you go to enroll your child and provide records, they ask what grade your child is. You just say 8th and they accept that at face value. If he’s old for the grade, they may ask if he was retained but...again...you say yes or no and keep it moving. There are students at many different levels in MS and HS. Your kiddo will survive this horrible, terrible, no good, very bad year. You haven’t failed.

Edited by Sneezyone

3 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Or maybe he's had a traumatic, awful year that isn't in any way your fault, and you're just looking out for his best interests. 

Except we aren't homeschoolers.  We're crisis schoolers, and they want records for the past few years which clearly show that in 2019-2020 he was in 7th grade.  Plus our area does high school by lottery so I registered him at the middle school, as an 8th grader, a couple months ago so that he could be in the high school lottery. 

It's not your fault. It's really not your fault. Give anyone who judges you the middle finger behind your back, OK? They don't get it. They are lucky they don't have to get it. 

Just another word of advice that it will be fine. In between 8th and 9th grade my family moved to a new school district, and I literally had the same "half" of American History twice due to totally different history sequences.  I could have had no history in 8th and it would have made zero difference because I got the same thing again two years later.  I never had the first "half" of American History (because weirdly the first district taught the second half in 8th grade and the first half in 9th grade).  

12 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Except we aren't homeschoolers.  We're crisis schoolers, and they want records for the past few years which clearly show that in 2019-2020 he was in 7th grade.  Plus our area does high school by lottery so I registered him at the middle school, as an 8th grader, a couple months ago so that he could be in the high school lottery. 

I guess, in your shoes, I would try to frame it in my mind (regardless of what the paperwork says) as a gap year between 7th and 8th grades. And even though the reasons for the gap year are tragic, that doesn't mean that there weren't some advantages. To me it sounds like he is more ready now for 8th grade than he would have been a year ago. He has had a year of math tutoring. You have had a year to assess if he needs more academic supports in place when he returns to school.

• Like 2