Menu

Update on my dad and the idea of him moving in here

DawnM

Dad came over today and we talked about a few things. He loves the idea of moving here, with us but not 'with us'.

I showed him the room and the laundry room we were talking about renovating into a bathroom.   Then he saw the stairs and said he would prefer to either:

• Have a tiny house type thing in our backyard. (his cousin has one in the back of her children's home and loves it)
  • pay to have a bathroom added to our current outside so that it is attached to that room.

We have considered both options.   On the one hand, the tiny house could move with us when we move in several years and my son could move into it later and use it.    On the other hand, I am not sure that is the most practical solution for an elderly person????   It would not have a loft.

Any idea which would be cheaper?   I plan to get some estimates soon.   of course, adding on to the house would probably add value and to sell the house as having a MIL suite would probably be a bonus.

He plans to pay for whatever we decide to do, within reason.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

Adding a bathroom sounds easier, and would be great for resale. 
Does your area allow tiny houses? So many don’t- places are zoned residential for one living space and sometimes it’s hard to get building permits for a tiny house.  For instance, we’re adding on to our garage and adding a workshop. We toyed w adding a bathroom but the permit office freaked out because w a bathroom it’s a separate dwelling, and not allowed in our county without a zoning variance. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Adding a bathroom sounds easier, and would be great for resale. 
Does your area allow tiny houses? So many don’t- places are zoned residential for one living space and sometimes it’s hard to get building permits for a tiny house.  For instance, we’re adding on to our garage and adding a workshop. We toyed w adding a bathroom but the permit office freaked out because w a bathroom it’s a separate dwelling, and not allowed in our county without a zoning variance. 

ah, you could be right.   We would have to look into it.

I just looked up the floorplan of the house and that room is 19x19 and has an additional 7x7 kitchen.    The ceilings are 12' high.    it is a wonderful space.   it was supposed to be a 2 car garage but the original owners wanted it to be a game room instead.

but it has no closet, etc....I wonder how much it would be to add a space that would have a bathroom, a closet, and a space in the bedroom for a stacking washer/dryer?

• Like 1

This may not apply to your situation, but it's good to be aware:

Does your dad have enough money to do this?  If he pays to add a bathroom to your home or buy a tiny house that would later become yours, would he still have enough to pay for Memory or Skilled Nursing care in a couple of years if he needs it -- at least to pay for it for a while?  Does he own a Long Term Care insurance policy?

Consider looking into whether his paying for either of these could disqualify him (at least for a while) from receiving Medicaid assistance to pay for in-patient care.  

There's a "lookback" period for assets that were gifted to someone else -- maybe for the previous five years(?).   The bathroom addition to your home might be considered a "gift", which could temporarily disqualify him from receiving Medicaid.

That said, you could consult with an attorney, preferably one who specializes in Elder Law, to help you structure such a gift so that your dad won't be penalized if he happens to need more care within that lookback period.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

This may not apply to your situation, but it's good to be aware:

Does your dad have enough money to do this?  If he pays to add a bathroom to your home or buy a tiny house that would later become yours, would he still have enough to pay for Memory or Skilled Nursing care in a couple of years if he needs it -- at least to pay for it for a while?  Does he own a Long Term Care insurance policy?

Consider looking into whether his paying for either of these could disqualify him (at least for a while) from receiving Medicaid assistance to pay for in-patient care.  

There's a "lookback" period for assets that were gifted to someone else -- maybe for the previous five years(?).   The bathroom addition to your home might be considered a "gift", which could temporarily disqualify him from receiving Medicaid.

That said, you could consult with an attorney, preferably one who specializes in Elder Law, to help you structure such a gift so that your dad won't be penalized if he happens to need more care within that lookback period.

He does have the money, although he is hoping it is not more than $50,000 for the renovations.  

But I would be curious to know if paying for the addition would be considered a gift to us.   

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

He does have the money, although he is hoping it is not more than $50,000 for the renovations.  

But I would be curious to know if paying for the addition would be considered a gift to us.   

I don't know, but I would look into it first.  Bear in mind that Medicaid rules vary by state.

If your dad has enough money to fund the addition and to pay for in-patient care, too, or if he has a LTC policy, this won't be as important.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

when we move in several years

How probable is this?

You'll find a contractor to get a quote or at least ballpark on the proposed addition. When we moved my dad, the social worker with the hospital told us moving a senior is one of the *most stressful* things you can do to them, right up there with losing a spouse. Is there any chance you can stay put once you do this? 

I think you'd have to see how much the cost is and then talk with a realtor to see how much it would increase your house value. It will some I would think, but that's still a huge expense. He could have a studio apartment near you at $1k a month and have in home help several days a week and still be less. It's the kind of cost calculations we do with my dad.

As far as the medicaid clawback, yes check. Also, are there other family members who are going to complain, saying you're using your dad's money to improve your house? Money in the family is an awkward thing, even the expenses seem logical to us. Was your dad paying rent before? 

I think just keep gathering information. His suggestion seems good. You might have some more ideas that become apparent. And yes, putting the washer/dryer in the addition would be FABULOUS. It's one of the few things left my dad can do for himself. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

How probable is this?

he is 86 next month.   We will move but not until he is either gone or in a permanent home care facility.

You'll find a contractor to get a quote or at least ballpark on the proposed addition. When we moved my dad, the social worker with the hospital told us moving a senior is one of the *most stressful* things you can do to them, right up there with losing a spouse. Is there any chance you can stay put once you do this? 

yes, until he can no longer live with us (death or too frail)

I think you'd have to see how much the cost is and then talk with a realtor to see how much it would increase your house value. It will some I would think, but that's still a huge expense. He could have a studio apartment near youtat $1k a month and have in home help several days a week and still be less. It's the kind of cost calculations we do with my dad.

That would be like where he is now.   There are no $1k apartments near us.

As far as the medicaid clawback, yes check. Also, are there other family members who are going to complain, saying you're using your dad's money to improve your house? Money in the family is an awkward thing, even the expenses seem logical to us. Was your dad paying rent before? 

no, I am an only child.

I think just keep gathering information. His suggestion seems good. You might have some more ideas that become apparent. And yes, putting the washer/dryer in the addition would be FABULOUS. It's one of the few things left my dad can do for himself. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I think you'd have to see how much the cost is and then talk with a realtor to see how much it would increase your house value. It will some I would think, but that's still a huge expense. He could have a studio apartment near you at $1k a month and have in home help several days a week and still be less. It's the kind of cost calculations we do with my dad.

idk, if he has help 12 hours a week at $30/hour, that's $18,720 for the help plus $12,000 for rent (if a studio near them can be found). If you subtract 6 hours per week (because he will likely pay for some help at Dawn's), it's still $21, 360 per year. 

I would personally also prefer to have him in my house with a separate space, as opposed to having to drive even a short distance to bring meals and so forth. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, katilac said:

idk, if he has help 12 hours a week at $30/hour, that's $18,720 for the help plus $12,000 for rent (if a studio near them can be found). If you subtract 6 hours per week (because he will likely pay for some help at Dawn's), it's still $21, 360 per year. 

I would personally also prefer to have him in my house with a separate space, as opposed to having to drive even a short distance to bring meals and so forth. 

I think he brings in 2,400/mo from social security.   I need to check on that, but he gets my mom's and his.  

Most of the care facilities around here start at 3,500 and go up to 7,000.   

He told me he wants to pay for cable TV and phone service too.  

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I wonder how much it would be to add a space that would have a bathroom, a closet, and a space in the bedroom for a stacking washer/dryer?

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

We have done a lot of renovations.  I can't imagine that this work would be $50K. I think that a lot will depend on how easy it is to tap into your current plumbing from that room.  Adding a washer/dryer hookup at the same time as a bathroom is a great idea and shouldn't be too hard, and then a closet is just adding walls.  Get a few different estimates.  We had an existing bathroom gutted and beautifully renovated for around 15K. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

I think he brings in 2,400/mo from social security.   I need to check on that, but he gets my mom's and his.  

Most of the care facilities around here start at 3,500 and go up to 7,000.   

He told me he wants to pay for cable TV and phone service too.  

Yup, my dad's is a fuzz over $4k a month and that's with *no* services like dressing, bathing, laundry, or medication. It only goes up.

34 minutes ago, DawnM said:

no, I am an only child.

That makes this so much less stressful in a way. I have a sibling to deal with, so then the other person has opinions, squacks, on and on.

Well I'm glad for him he has enough saved up that he can have this option!!! I hope you can work it out. Did you say the kitchenette is on the same level? My dad likes having access to cold water, popsicles, apples...

Well good, I hope you get the math and it works out! 

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yup, my dad's is a fuzz over $4k a month and that's with *no* services like dressing, bathing, laundry, or medication. It only goes up.

That makes this so much less stressful in a way. I have a sibling to deal with, so then the other person has opinions, squacks, on and on.

Well I'm glad for him he has enough saved up that he can have this option!!! I hope you can work it out. Did you say the kitchenette is on the same level? My dad likes having access to cold water, popsicles, apples...

Well good, I hope you get the math and it works out! 

yes, the kitchen/wet bar is an area in the back of the room that was meant to be a little 7x7 storage area.   

he and my mom bought in to a retirement place in Arizona 20 years ago and it was $80k to buy in.   if you move out or die, half of that is returned to you or your family members.   so, he has that money, $40k that he wants to use.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

We have done a lot of renovations.  I can't imagine that this work would be $50K. I think that a lot will depend on how easy it is to tap into your current plumbing from that room.  Adding a washer/dryer hookup at the same time as a bathroom is a great idea and shouldn't be too hard, and then a closet is just adding walls.  Get a few different estimates.  We had an existing bathroom gutted and beautifully renovated for around 15K. 

thanks.   we do want to get it designed for an elderly person and have the door wide enough for a wheel chair, have the shower large enough for a chair, have rails to hang on to, etc.....and the toilet with one of those higher sitting tops and railings to hang on to.   not sure if those things add much cost or not.

Just now, DawnM said:

thanks.   we do want to get it designed for an elderly person and have the door wide enough for a wheel chair, have the shower large enough for a chair, have rails to hang on to, etc.....and the toilet with one of those higher sitting tops and railings to hang on to.   not sure if those things add much cost or not.

You can do it at all pricepoints. I would assume you'd do it similar to the fixtures in the rest of your house. Do you have acrylic tub inserts or tile or other solid surface? My dad's shower in assisted living is an acrylic roll in unit with a full length curtain (like a tub). There's a sink, a full cabinet (floor to ceiling) for towels, sheets, laundry. The floor space itself is pretty large, at least 5'X5' in the middle, because it's large enough you could groom/dress someone in a chair. Then there's the walk in corner closet and as you say a nook with grab bars and the ADA height toilet.

The ADA height toilet is not that much more expensive. Cabs come in all pricepoints and again would match what is already in your house. So it's more just the amount of space, the plumbing, the hvac. My dad has a call button beside the toilet and wears an alert necklace at all times. You'll want something like that since he'll be on the other end of the house. Sometimes it's even just something simple like he fell getting out of bed or doesn't feel well. If you have wifi, you could do some of the newer tech where he can just talk to you. That could be really cool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I have posted pictures of the room before, but here it was when it was listed, you can see a bit of the kitchen area back in the corner of the 2nd picture.   And you can see the stairs in that picture as well.

That looks like a great space!

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I just looked up the floorplan of the house and that room is 19x19 and has an additional 7x7 kitchen.    The ceilings are 12' high.    it is a wonderful space.   it was supposed to be a 2 car garage but the original owners wanted it to be a game room instead.

but it has no closet, etc....I wonder how much it would be to add a space that would have a bathroom, a closet, and a space in the bedroom for a stacking washer/dryer?

My brother in law added a bedroom, narrow hallway area with gorgeous windows that they call the sunroom, bathroom, large closet with stacking washer/dryer hookups for my mil before she passed. I think it was between 30K and 40K. They did do lots of the work themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

My brother in law added a bedroom, narrow hallway area with gorgeous windows that they call the sunroom, bathroom, large closet with stacking washer/dryer hookups for my mil before she passed. I think it was between 30K and 40K. They did do lots of the work themselves. 

Thank you

That's a very nice space. I imagine it would be nice for your dad to be living with you, rather than with the family friend.

We just moved into this house about three years ago, and even though I hate the idea of moving again, it will not be our final home, because it does not have a first floor master. I am daydreaming about what I would like our next house to be like, and definitely ,an in-law apartment is part of the ideal plan. First, so that we can help our elderly parents  -- both my dad and MIL and FIL could use extra help NOW, and we can't offer it -- and then for our own needs, as we get older.

So I am PRO adding the accessible bathroom, laundry, and closet to that space. Not only will it be nice for your dad, but also, there will be buyers that it will appeal to, when you are ready to sell.

But I do agree about checking about the 5 year look-back period for Medicaid. My mom was in a nursing home for 9 years, and my dad went through a year or more of hassle before she qualified for Medicaid. He had to spend down all of Mom's retirement assets, for one thing, but there was also an issue with something Dad had done with his business (which he owns). I think he transferred ownership of the building to my brother, who works with him and runs the business now? I don't know for sure, but there was something that Medicaid did not like about the transfer of assets away from Dad and toward my brother, even though it was business related and not personal.

So it really is possible that they might consider your Dad paying for renovations to YOUR home to be the same as him transferring assets to you. Consulting with an eldercare attorney would be worth it.

For what it's worth, for your planning information, when Dad had to pay out of pocket for Mom's nursing home care, before Medicaid would cover anything, the cost was around $100,000 per year. So skilled nursing will drain down assets quickly. (Mom did not use assisted living first; assisted living cannot be covered by Medicaid, if I understand it correctly). Perhaps your dad will never need skilled nursing home care or Medicaid funds, but it's something to be aware of.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

That's a very nice space. I imagine it would be nice for your dad to be living with you, rather than with the family friend.

We just moved into this house about three years ago, and even though I hate the idea of moving again, it will not be our final home, because it does not have a first floor master. I am daydreaming about what I would like our next house to be like, and definitely ,an in-law apartment is part of the ideal plan. First, so that we can help our elderly parents  -- both my dad and MIL and FIL could use extra help NOW, and we can't offer it -- and then for our own needs, as we get older.

So I am PRO adding the accessible bathroom, laundry, and closet to that space. Not only will it be nice for your dad, but also, there will be buyers that it will appeal to, when you are ready to sell.

But I do agree about checking about the 5 year look-back period for Medicaid. My mom was in a nursing home for 9 years, and my dad went through a year or more of hassle before she qualified for Medicaid. He had to spend down all of Mom's retirement assets, for one thing, but there was also an issue with something Dad had done with his business (which he owns). I think he transferred ownership of the building to my brother, who works with him and runs the business now? I don't know for sure, but there was something that Medicaid did not like about the transfer of assets away from Dad and toward my brother, even though it was business related and not personal.

So it really is possible that they might consider your Dad paying for renovations to YOUR home to be the same as him transferring assets to you. Consulting with an eldercare attorney would be worth it.

For what it's worth, for your planning information, when Dad had to pay out of pocket for Mom's nursing home care, before Medicaid would cover anything, the cost was around $100,000 per year. So skilled nursing will drain down assets quickly. (Mom did not use assisted living first; assisted living cannot be covered by Medicaid, if I understand it correctly). Perhaps your dad will never need skilled nursing home care or Medicaid funds, but it's something to be aware of.

he is currently 10 miles away, which didn't seem bad, but every Sunday we are now driving 40 miles to take him back and forth to our house for dinner, and anytime he needs something, etc....

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

he is currently 10 miles away, which didn't seem bad, but every Sunday we are now driving 40 miles to take him back and forth to our house for dinner, and anytime he needs something, etc....

Yeah, I get that. And his needs are likely to increase, so that he needs you more and more often.

My dad (86) moved from a stand-alone condo to an apartment-style condo 2+ years ago, and now his place is not meeting his needs, and he is considering moving again. I wish he could move in with us, but it won't work where we are. I live two hours from him, but he is local to my siblings and sees them often.

These things are hard.

• Like 1

I would lean in on doing the in-law suit.  With those high ceilings and a good design, you wouldn't have to do anything to the exterior.  I'd look at floorplans for small houses with that square footage or talk to a designer.  They think of stuff I wouldn't, like putting the bathroom back where the kitchen is and moving the kitchen forward into the living space.  Those Ikea apartments are smaller than this space, so I'm sure you can do something nice that's cheaper than building a tiny house or expanding the current footprint.  I would plan for possible wheelchair use and put in a roll-in shower.  Is there a way for him to get into the main part of the house without going up those steps?  It might be easier to give him an exterior door and ramp access to the main house if that works with your terrain.  

A chairlift would not be very expensive for so few steps.  I'd guess it would take about 5-6 seconds to get up those steps on a chairlift. This isn't the best wheelchair option though.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I would lean in on doing the in-law suit.  With those high ceilings and a good design, you wouldn't have to do anything to the exterior.  I'd look at floorplans for small houses with that square footage or talk to a designer.  They think of stuff I wouldn't, like putting the bathroom back where the kitchen is and moving the kitchen forward into the living space.  Those Ikea apartments are smaller than this space, so I'm sure you can do something nice that's cheaper than building a tiny house or expanding the current footprint.  I would plan for possible wheelchair use and put in a roll-in shower.  Is there a way for him to get into the main part of the house without going up those steps?  It might be easier to give him an exterior door and ramp access to the main house if that works with your terrain.  

A chairlift would not be very expensive for so few steps.  I'd guess it would take about 5-6 seconds to get up those steps on a chairlift. This isn't the best wheelchair option though.

the 37,000 quote was for tearing out the kitchen and putting in a bathroom, it didn't even include moving the kitchen, just tearing it out completely.   and there are no windows for better ventilation, no room for laundry or a closet, etc.....

I have emailed a guy today about coming out to discuss different options.   we will see what he says.

no, no other way into the house, all of our entrances have 5 steps......the front, the garage, and the back......all steps.

it would not take my day 5-6 seconds, it would take him 5 full minutes at least to get in the chair and get situated.....then another 5 on the other end to get into a standing position and try to move.   it is doable, but definitely not 5-6 seconds total.

honestly, as dh and I were talking today, we even mentioned just moving this summer, into something that is more conducive to what we need, but I don't think that is feasible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

the 37,000 quote was for tearing out the kitchen and putting in a bathroom, it didn't even include moving the kitchen, just tearing it out completely.   and there are no windows for better ventilation, no room for laundry or a closet, etc.....

I have emailed a guy today about coming out to discuss different options.   we will see what he says.

no, no other way into the house, all of our entrances have 5 steps......the front, the garage, and the back......all steps.

it would not take my day 5-6 seconds, it would take him 5 full minutes at least to get in the chair and get situated.....then another 5 on the other end to get into a standing position and try to move.   it is doable, but definitely not 5-6 seconds total.

honestly, as dh and I were talking today, we even mentioned just moving this summer, into something that is more conducive to what we need, but I don't think that is feasible.

Yikes.  It would be a HUGE pain in the neck in the short term, but moving might be cheaper and easier all around.  Then you can choose a home that suits your needs better.  I'm saying this as someone who probably SHOULD have moved ages ago but cannot seem to practice what I preach. 😁 We've just always cobbled together solutions and made it work but would probably be better off today if we'd just relocated years ago.  We don't even need a better, more expensive house; just a little bit different configuration.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Yikes.  It would be a HUGE pain in the neck in the short term, but moving might be cheaper and easier all around.  Then you can choose a home that suits your needs better.  I'm saying this as someone who probably SHOULD have moved ages ago but cannot seem to practice what I preach. 😁 We've just always cobbled together solutions and made it work but would probably be better off today if we'd just relocated years ago.  We don't even need a better, more expensive house; just a little bit different configuration.

I had heard there was a shortage of homes available and I just looked and wow, yeah, there are very few homes available and none at the moment that would meet our needs.

my husband and I talked some more and he isn't sure he likes the moving idea.   our house needs some repairs and our landscape needs a lot more work.   He says he wants to see if we can make this work first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Just for fun, I showed my dh your pics. All he would say it depends on the details and you'd have options. I will say you don't need a window for the bath. And that one room is more than the space in my dad's entire apartment in assisted living. So I think if you just flat asked what he could do to turn it into an apartment with bath, bedroom, everything, using the space that's already there, you could see what your new builder says.

Have you googled converting a two car garage to an apartment? I think you're going to get a lot of hits and a lot of ideas of what could be done. Now whether you want to do it to that space (with the beautiful ceiling, etc.) that's different. But it's a LOT of space there. You might not even need an addition to make this happen. 

Just now, DawnM said:

He says he wants to see if we can make this work first.

Yes! 

• Like 1

Do you think I need to plan for the bathroom to be completely wheelchair accessible?   I went to the room and measured.   it is possible we could fit a 7x5 bathroom between the stairs and the kitchen area.   Or, I could even do it the other way and that would help separate the spaces.   it wouldn't have a large closet like I had planned, although I could probably do 5 across and 9 ft. long and get some shelving in there.   but I think a wardrobe outside the bathroom would work.

just trying to see what I might be able to do.   

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Just for fun, I showed my dh your pics. All he would say it depends on the details and you'd have options. I will say you don't need a window for the bath. And that one room is more than the space in my dad's entire apartment in assisted living. So I think if you just flat asked what he could do to turn it into an apartment with bath, bedroom, everything, using the space that's already there, you could see what your new builder says.

Have you googled converting a two car garage to an apartment? I think you're going to get a lot of hits and a lot of ideas of what could be done. Now whether you want to do it to that space (with the beautiful ceiling, etc.) that's different. But it's a LOT of space there. You might not even need an addition to make this happen. 

Yes! 

and my dad really doesn't need a bedroom.   he is fine with a full studio.   he even sleeps on a recliner due to some back issues, so right now he has 2 recliners in his room, one for sleeping and one for sitting.   he needs some space for his large desk and "office" but a studio type place is fine.  

and yes, I started googling 400 sq. ft studio apartments and got some ideas, some were indeed converted garages.

is your husband a builder?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am still not following.   it was supposed to be a garage, so it is level with the ground outside.   however, it is sunken in compared to the rest of the main floor of the house.

Yes, that is walk out. Dh thinks best bet would be to put a bathroom in between the steps  and the kitchen. Within the existing  structure. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Do you think I need to plan for the bathroom to be completely wheelchair accessible?   I went to the room and measured.   it is possible we could fit a 7x5 bathroom between the stairs and the kitchen area.   Or, I could even do it the other way and that would help separate the spaces.   it wouldn't have a large closet like I had planned, although I could probably do 5 across and 9 ft. long and get some shelving in there.   but I think a wardrobe outside the bathroom would work.

just trying to see what I might be able to do.   

I think you should plan for it to be wheelchair accessible.  

• Like 2

Making it wheelchair accessible will allow the possibility for your dad to stay there longer, in case his mobility decreases. If you are investing so much money, it seems worth it, to me.

I would prioritize bathroom over closet, because you could buy cupboards to use for the closet from IKEA (or somewhere similar).

• Like 3

I know that things are very different in Australia, but her you can hire a grannyflat from the government to put in your back yard for an elderly relative to live in. once they pass away or move into a nursing home then the granny flat is moved off to the next place. my neighbour had one for a whole when they were looking after their elderly neighbour before she passed. 

https://www.housing.vic.gov.au/public-housing-movable-units

Anyway I thought I would post about it in case there is something similar over there and you hadn't heard of it before. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I know that things are very different in Australia, but her you can hire a grannyflat from the government to put in your back yard for an elderly relative to live in. once they pass away or move into a nursing home then the granny flat is moved off to the next place. my neighbour had one for a whole when they were looking after their elderly neighbour before she passed. 

Anyway I thought I would post about it in case there is something similar over there and you hadn't heard of it before. 

This is brilliant.  I've never heard of anything like this in the US, unfortunately.   

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

how wonderful!  I would do that in a heartbeat if it were available.   Although it looks. like there are income/asset restrictions and you must be receiving public assistance? 

Edited by DawnM