Menu

Edited: Croque-en-bouche or . . . (NOW WITH A POLL)

Drama Llama

Competitive dessert making poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which dessert should my son make? (Links to pictures in the OP)

• Chocolate Creation Showstopper Cake
    • Mary Berry's Christmas Pavlova Wreath
    • Just make the croquembouche!
    • Something else that I will tell you

11 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

The question at hand, though, is would it taste the very best if it got replaced by a pavlova.

Nope.  Cream puffs with caramel beat meringue with fruit.  (and I really hope there isn't another mangled french way to spell meringue.  I can't even bear to check).

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

• Drama Llama changed the title to Edited: Croque-en-bouche or . . . (NOW WITH A POLL)

When I last checked the votes were 3/4 for cake.  Now there is a one vote difference.  I feel like I’m go to bed and wake up and the mail in vote from PA or Georgia will have flipped it and pavlova will win.

Of course the Hive is like New Hampshire and my son is like California in the weight they carry.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

If the pavlova has to stay stable for more than an hour or so, I’d worry about the fresh fruit weeping and the whole thing becoming unstable and not looking as great.  Unless you could do final assembly on site.  I really think your best bet is some kind of cake, the one you linked looks great.  If you were doing the collars, you could pipe a chocolate tree or something for the top.  

On the topic of wedding cakes, I’ve had amazing wedding cake and terrible wedding cake and everything in between.  Varies widely. We had a bailey’s Irish chocolate cream cake and a strawberry lemon option covered in Italian buttercream.  Not super sweet, very light, so good.  My kid for years has been saying he doesn’t like cake. Well we figured out actually what he doesn’t like is the typical grocery store cake slathered in gritty super sweet frosting.  I’m with you kid.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:30 PM, BaseballandHockey said:

EDITED AGAIN:  

I learned at dinner that we have a new contender.  We need a final decision by tomorrow so we can make last minute additions to the grocery order, so I have added a poll. Here are the choices.

Chocolate Creation Showstopper (from the Great British Baking Show)

Mary Berry's Christmas Pavlova Wreath

Croque-en-bouche

OLDER POSTS

How would you secure it?

We are going to drive to see DH's cousins and his great aunt on Christmas afternoon.  The plan is that we will stay outside, masked and six feet apart, but we're also going to bring them a dessert, and trade for a dessert that they're making.  

My son really wants to try again to make a croque-en-bouche, which I think could be fun, but I have no idea how to transport it.  We'll probably caravaning in two vehicles, a mini van with a wheelchair spot with tie downs that we could use to attach straps (no wheelchair) and a large SUV. 

Any ideas on how to make this work?  People serve these for weddings so they must transport them. 

The trip involves highway driving, so the drive real slow strategy is out.  

ETA:  OK, I'm thinking that this is too ambitious.  

What's an easier thing that still looks spectacular.  My kid is a little competitive about his baking (and everything else) and the cousin we're trading with will certainly make something spectacular. 

My suggestion is going to be this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/christmas_pavlova_20589

But I'd love a few more ideas. 

Definitely not the pavlova wreath. It will crack in transit.

A chocolate collar and chocolate curls look amazing without the fragile structure of the other two choices.

• Like 1

I love pavlova, but I don't know that it would transit well since whipped cream tends to melt. And obviously, he wants something with a really impressive appearance. I think the cake is the best bet as far as traveling and still looking good when it gets there. And besides, it's hard to go wrong with chocolate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

If the pavlova has to stay stable for more than an hour or so, I’d worry about the fresh fruit weeping and the whole thing becoming unstable and not looking as great.  Unless you could do final assembly on site.  I really think your best bet is some kind of cake, the one you linked looks great.  If you were doing the collars, you could pipe a chocolate tree or something for the top.  

Pavlovas do fine being assembled beforehand. 

They are a very popular desert here in Australia  at this time of the year. in summer. 

Really good with passionfruit drizzled all over, heaps of berries, banana slices and kiwi fruit. 

I always make them a few hours before serving 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I love pavlova, but I don't know that it would transit well since whipped cream tends to melt. And obviously, he wants something with a really impressive appearance. I think the cake is the best bet as far as traveling and still looking good when it gets there. And besides, it's hard to go wrong with chocolate. 

You can always add a tad of icing sugar to make the whipped cream stiffer. 

I don't think I have ever had cream from the shop melt after being whipped. Fresh cream from my cow not pasteurised however is a different story 

• Like 1

The hive has spoken in favor of pavlova, but I think the final verdict is cake.  

They're going to make both for here, but send the cake to the cousins.  I can't wait to see what the cousins send back.  Last year their contribution was an amazing lemon layer cake with lots of layers and flavors and such.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

What a fun rivalry! With the best benefits for spectators!

We look forward to pictures (if you’re willing to post any).

I think that DH's family thinks it's totally normal to treat cooking as a competitive sport.  I used to think they were nuts, but now apparently the whole country is into competitive baking shows, so maybe they were just ahead of their time?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

The recipe has changed over the years.  

This year, we're doing something like this that's pretty simple.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sour-cream-apple-pie/

I've never made a fruit pie with eggs in it, interesting! I make a sour cream blueberry pie for my dad, but I think it's mostly a straightforward recipe with sour cream added. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think that DH's family thinks it's totally normal to treat cooking as a competitive sport.  I used to think they were nuts, but now apparently the whole country is into competitive baking shows, so maybe they were just ahead of their time?  

MasterChef Junior in several countries https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterChef_Junior

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Can I get the recipe?

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

• 4 cups blueberries, washed and drained 
  • 1 10-inch pie shell (I use whatever size is on hand and it's never made much difference)
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar; divided 
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons flour 
  • pinch of salt 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread blueberries into pie shell; sprinkle with the one tablespoon of sugar. Stir together all remaining ingredients and then pour over the berries. 

Topping

• 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs 
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter

Stir together until smooth and then sprinkle on top of pie. 

Bake pie in preheated oven for 45 minutes. 

I like to do a graham cracker crust for the bottom as well, but you need to either pre-bake or chill that kind first, so it doesn't fall apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, katilac said:

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

• 4 cups blueberries, washed and drained 
  • 1 10-inch pie shell (I use whatever size is on hand and it's never made much difference)
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar; divided 
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons flour 
  • pinch of salt 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread blueberries into pie shell; sprinkle with the one tablespoon of sugar. Stir together all remaining ingredients and then pour over the berries. 

Topping

• 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs 
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter

Stir together until smooth and then sprinkle on top of pie. 

Bake pie in preheated oven for 45 minutes. 

I like to do a graham cracker crust for the bottom as well, but you need to either pre-bake or chill that kind first, so it doesn't fall apart. 

Ooooh, I need to make that. 

Maybe not today, given that we've got pavlova and chocolate cake, and sour cream apple pies, and are expecting Polish cookies and the competitive cake tomorrow.  

• Like 2