Menu

Masks are making me break out

lulalu

13 minutes ago, saraha said:

My daughters and I were just complaining about this too each other this morning. We have a bunch of different kinds of masks and I am wondering if it is more related to the moisture in the mask and not the material itself.

That has been my thoughts too. There has to be one that breathes well yet still works. Or am I looking for a unicorn? 

What's your washing routine for your masks? How often are you changing them?

I change my mask every couple of hours (they become less effective with moisture), and I wash them in hot water, double rinse so there is no leftover detergent.  I have a style that fits closely but doesn't rub on the sides--I let the ear straps do the work.  I am washing my face with a really gentle soap since the skin is a bit irritated if I have to wear a N95 for several hours.

I haven’t had any major problems, but my daughter has. The only difference (besides our ages, though I still break out without masks here and there) I can tell is that I change mine much more often. She has her favorites that she hates to wait to be washed and just rewears them no matter what I say. I’ll throw any old thing on and put them right in the mask wash bag after.

I do use free and clear detergent.

2 hours ago, klmama said:

One of my dc had this problem until switching to Happy Masks.  Those have less skin contact and breathe more easily.  

I'll admit to almost never wearing a mask more than an hour or so at a time (shopping, and I tutor a couple of kids on my porch, but just for an hour at a time).  But I've also settled on the Happy Mask as being the most comfortable to wear.  For one thing, it's so much easier to talk in - which hadn't been an issue for me until I started the tutoring - not a lot of chatting at the grocery store.  But they are moisture-wicking, and also have very little skin contact because of its shape that keeps it away from your face more than most other masks.  At first I didn't think they were as nice looking as some other masks I bought - but they're the ones I always end up grabbing, as they're the most comfortable for actually using.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmmm, we haven't been having an issue, but we also haven't been using masks all that much -- we mostly stay in or away from people. 

I have to wear one each time I am outside, groceries, public transportation. So I end up wearing it for a while. 

Yesterday I needed to pay my hospital bill, then ran errands on that side of town at the one big grocery store. So with transportation I had one on for 4 hoursish. 

I probably need to change it more often. I just don't know how. If I have a mask on I am always around people. 

I have sensitive skin so I am not surprised my skin us acting up now. I wash reusable ones after each day's use. I don't have enough to go through after each time use. Some days I go out 2 or 3 times. I use free and clear detergent. 

Do all disposable have nickle? I am allergic to nickle. Is the nose clip things nickle? 

Ok so Happy Masks say they are good for 50 washes. So are people spending that much every 50 days or so on masks? 

I am having such a hard time wanting to spend money on masks, but I need something that fits well and will work well, and not cause acne 😭 why does it need to be so difficult? 

My Dh works with a plastic surgeon and they're seeing people come in a lot with the complaint.  

My Dd and I were experiencing this also, but we have learned to never wear a mask multiple times.  If it's a cloth mask we wash after each day of wearing it.  Disposable are tossed after the day.  This has made a huge difference. She has to wear a mask often because of working, and also because she's doing hybrid at school.

ETA: We also use free and clear detergent. That and daily washing or replacement is a must!

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

2 hours ago, lulalu said:

Ok so Happy Masks say they are good for 50 washes. So are people spending that much every 50 days or so on masks? 

I'll admit I don’t wash mine every time, but like I said it's only on for an hour. Dh used them recently at an event where he had to wear one 8+ hours a day, and there he washed them after each day. He brought three to rotate, but they do dry very quickly. 

Cost... if you're using disposable masks, and changing them each day, how much per mask?  If you washed a HM every single time you used it, that's 48 cents per use. Are disposables cheaper than that? If you wash it after, say 8 hrs of use (that's my current thinking), it comes out even cheaper. (So, if you wore for 4 hrs/day, every other time you used it. Or every few days if it's less than that.)

The cloth masks really need to be washed every day. 

I wash mine by hand with dish soap and boiling water. Regular soap is supposed to be the most effective in killing Covid. I wash mine after every wear. So if I go out 3 different times in the day, I wear a new mask each time. I did sit down and sew a bunch more masks since we are in this for the longer haul. At the beginning I just sewed 3 each, thinking it would be for a very short time. 

I suspect that most breakouts are caused by laundry detergent. Or masks made of synthetic fabrics. 

I have not made any masks to sell, but I am starting to now. In cute Christmas fabrics. I need all the cheer I can get, and I think people will appreciate having some new masks at this stage in the proceedings! I'll probably have some in my shop next week. 

Etsy.com/shop/fabricspeaks

1 minute ago, mum said:

The cloth masks really need to be washed every day. 

I wash mine by hand with dish soap and boiling water. Regular soap is supposed to be the most effective in killing Covid. I wash mine after every wear. So if I go out 3 different times in the day, I wear a new mask each time. I did sit down and sew a bunch more masks since we are in this for the longer haul. At the beginning I just sewed 3 each, thinking it would be for a very short time. 

I suspect that most breakouts are caused by laundry detergent. Or masks made of synthetic fabrics. 

The Happy Masks aren't made of cotton that can absorb moisture, but they're also not like a lot of the synthetic ones I've seen that make you sweaty.  The material is lightweight and breathable enough that they don't seem to get wet/retain moisture nor make you sweat.  I don't feel the need at all to wash them after every use (their instructions are soak in cold water 10 min with dish soap).  When I first got them, I wasn't all that impressed from a 'just try them on' standpoint, but after using masks now a while, they are pretty much the only ones I'm using.  The rest sit in a bag, feeling lonely... lol.

Hot moist you-ness is on the inside of the mask, and germs are on the outside. I think of re-wearing masks without washing as like re-wearing a pair of panties. Just no. Pull out a fresh one.

Old Navy and Target have cloth mask packages that break down to $1.50-2 a mask. I am using lingerie bags to keep track of them in my regular laundry. They get washed, and then hung to dry in the laundry with one of those $5 octopus things from IKEA.https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-with-16-clothes-clips-turquoise-10421217/

Edited by prairiewindmomma

Yes, I wash the reusable ones each day. 

The disposable ones I am using come out to be around 10 cents each. (I live in Asia, stuff is cheaper here)

We are moving at the beginning of the year and will need masks for over 25 hours. I know I will need to change often, but I can only imagine what my face will look like after. 

We have already recovered from COVID, so really I am not the most worried about me getting it. But the law here is to wear them. 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:29 AM, lulalu said:

I am having such a hard time wanting to spend money on masks, but I need something that fits well and will work well, and not cause acne 😭 why does it need to be so difficult? 

We are trying to use sunlight etc for most disinfecting so that actual washes are rare.

At actual water and drop of detergent washes once per week or two and UV or disinfection mist between times our Happy Masks will probably last a few years ...

and 3 generations doing okay in terms of mask-acne 

Edited by Pen