A Dog AND A Cat????

Spy Car

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Desmond is a great name.  

Honestly, though, if I got named after Chester Arthur, (or Chester the cheetoh cat?  Who is his namesake) and my brother got named for Desmond Tutu, I think my self esteem would plummet.

I, who did not come up with this name (it was my wife's) idea, thought it fit right away. First that seemed "right." I think that's all around. 

It was a follow up to "Dexter," which resonated with me--as I love the great Jazz sax player Dexter Gordon--but the two horror/crime drama people in the house thought: serial killer. Yet, it was their idea.

I didn't even bring up using "Coltrane" (a bit much) but "Miles" may have crossed by lips.

I associate Desmond with Desmond Dekker (the King of Ska) who sang such Jamaican favorites as Shanty Town, Israelites, and You Can Get It If You Really Want.

I love Desmond Dekker.

Then my wife mentioned Desmond Tutu. I said, "He's good too." LOL.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Shanty Town is on my Spotify play list.  I first heard it while watching Murder in Paradise.  

If you like Shanty Town, and you have not heard Israelites, and You Can Get It If You Really Want, you'll be in for a treat if you add them to the playlist.

Desmond Dekker was really good. Many good songs. 

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I think that when they are not sleeping that cats are resting up for their next sleep session.

Who knew?

Bill

Yes, this is correct.

Sleep, crazy zooming and/or playing, sleeping, resting between naps, sleeping, eating, more sleeping. Repeat.

And as to who knew, anyone who's ever had a cat! 😹

Boxes and paper grocery store bags are great cheap cat toys...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

If you like Shanty Town, and you have not heard Israelites, and You Can Get It If You Really Want, you'll be in for a treat if you add them to the playlist.

Desmond Dekker was really good. Many good songs. 

Bill

Ok.  I have turned off The Derek Trucks Band for the moment and am listening to Israelites.  Nice! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, this is correct.

Sleep, crazy zooming and/or playing, sleeping, resting between naps, sleeping, eating, more sleeping. Repeat.

And as to who knew, anyone who's ever had a cat! 😹

Boxes and paper grocery store bags are great cheap cat toys...

I've never had a cat. I was led to believe they were "frisky."

The one friend who had cats, (a pride) had one of those Abyssinians I'd negotiated for a year ago and those thing are active.

What did you do today Bill?

I watched the cat sleep.

Sounds productive.

It was harder than it looks.

Bill

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ok.  I have turned off The Derek Trucks Band for the moment and am listening to Israelites.  Nice! 

Can you get albums? If yes, I think you would very much enjoy the soundtrack to the movie "The Harder They Come."

May be under Various Artists or under Jimmy Cliff.

Bill

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Some cats are frisky.  Some cats are of the "sleep all day" variety.  But six month old kittens are almost always frisky.  That he's not implies to me that he's still not feeling well.  

I think he had quite a traumatic injury and is deconditioned and atrophied (especially in the hind quarters).

Doesn't seem to be in pain. Needs to rebuild. For sure. Underdeveloped.

He will play with a wand type toy/string for a while, but not super frisky.

Bill

• Like 1

Maybe change the sheets with him on the bed. That frisks my cats right up. They do love to help make the bed. Wait on the big flick/sweep of the top sheet though. That might scare him until he is used to it. He might rip your sheets. But it is such fun! I just made my bed a few minutes ago with the sewing buddy from the picture upthread. 

Be careful with kitties (especially new/small/timid/not settled) on a harness. They are all Houdini. If they want out of the harness, they will get out of the harness. It's scary as heck. 

• Like 1

Desmond is just healing and resting up. No doubt he’ll be playful sooner than you’ll be ready for it. At least he’s not scaling up the back of your legs to your shoulders with his little razor claws as kittens are known to do. 😄

If you like jazz, you could also go with Birdman, Charlie or Parker. I like Desmond, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I, who did not come up with this name (it was my wife's) idea, thought it fit right away. First that seemed "right." I think that's all around. 

It was a follow up to "Dexter," which resonated with me--as I love the great Jazz sax player Dexter Gordon--but the two horror/crime drama people in the house thought: serial killer. Yet, it was their idea.

I didn't even bring up using "Coltrane" (a bit much) but "Miles" may have crossed by lips.

I associate Desmond with Desmond Dekker (the King of Ska) who sang such Jamaican favorites as Shanty Town, Israelites, and You Can Get It If You Really Want.

I love Desmond Dekker.

Then my wife mentioned Desmond Tutu. I said, "He's good too." LOL.

Bill

We had a Dexter during the height of the shows popularity. I mean the little devils really are serial killing machines. At least the lizards around here think so. Desmond is also a really good name. I can think of a lot of fun nicknames to go along with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, klmama said:

I like the name "Desmond."  Of course, even though I'm familiar with all the other Desmonds mentioned, the one that immediately comes to my mind is the one in "Oh-Bla-Di, Oh-Bla-Da."  😀

One of my son's favorite Beatles songs. I played it this afternoon when they came home.

Bill

49 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

We had a Dexter during the height of the shows popularity. I mean the little devils really are serial killing machines. At least the lizards around here think so. Desmond is also a really good name. I can think of a lot of fun nicknames to go along with it.

We are an unofficial lizard sanctuary. I plant stuff for them and make places to hide. 

So far Desmond seems like he prefers the indoors. We'll see.

Bill

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

There are mice channels for cats on YouTube, too!  Must see tv!

He loved birds, mice, squirrels, and Desmond has fish to look forward to later today.

Cats watch TV? I'm learning all sorts of things.

And Desmond is starting to emerge. 

Bill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I have discovered that if Desmond ducks into the back of a closet or cupboard, that if I play "cat meowing" videos he immediately comes out.

The question remaining is, is he the one being "trained," or is it me?

Bill

There is no question. 

You don't train cats, you modify the environment 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

There is no question. 

You don't train cats, you modify the environment 🙂

I was very fast subbing out a flat sisal scratching pad (instead of our pillows) last night. Desmond was right on it.

So far things are working out. And he is a great eater. Has not refused a single thing yet. 

Bill

Quick update.

Desmond is getting more adventurous (and the dog far less twitchy) and exploring. We are getting in good play sessions.

@BeachGal Mrs Spy Car picked up a water fountain and I've had it running the last couple days. I have not spotted Desmond using it yet. He does like to lap up warm liquid/meat juice in his feed bowl. Do people feed broth to cats to help keep them hydrated?

To all, any pro tips on kitty litter? We have Dr. Elsey's kitten litter (with attractant) which is what the foster was using. Figured sticking with the same thing was smart--at least in the short run. Do I stick with that long term? How does one best manage this stuff?

Added beef heart to the mixed menu this morning. So far Desmond has rejected any fresh food. Knock wood.

I do feel a little guilty, as I need to get some stuff done yesterday and I left Desmond with the iPad on autoplay with YouTube "cat channel" videos for about an hour. LOL. Kept him engaged.

Bill

• Like 3

Desmond is probably getting plenty of excellent and nutritious fluids from the homemade bone broth so might not need the fountain water all that much yet. The fountain is to entice hm into drinking more which male cats especially seem to need due to kidney problems. He is still young and will probably be drawn to it eventually. More water is usually a good idea for cats so keep the fountain going.

Dr. Elsey’s kitten litter is very good. Very clumpy. In addition, you might want to use Pretty Litter occasionally which will change color if it detects changes in urine. It is not clumping — urine is absorbed. The guy who started the company unexpectedly lost his young cat to kidney disease and thus began his quest to find a way to spot potential kidney disease early on. It is a bit pricey but, IMO, worth the money. Changes in litter color do not necessarily mean disease, just that the cat possibly should be checked out.

All that healthy food you are feeding him is bound to help him heal and grow well. He is a lucky kitty!

22 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Desmond is probably getting plenty of excellent and nutritious fluids from the homemade bone broth so might not need the fountain water all that much yet. The fountain is to entice hm into drinking more which male cats especially seem to need due to kidney problems. He is still young and will probably be drawn to it eventually. More water is usually a good idea for cats so keep the fountain going.

Dr. Elsey’s kitten litter is very good. Very clumpy. In addition, you might want to use Pretty Litter occasionally which will change color if it detects changes in urine. It is not clumping — urine is absorbed. The guy who started the company unexpectedly lost his young cat to kidney disease and thus began his quest to find a way to spot potential kidney disease early on. It is a bit pricey but, IMO, worth the money. Changes in litter color do not necessarily mean disease, just that the cat possibly should be checked out.

All that healthy food you are feeding him is bound to help him heal and grow well. He is a lucky kitty!

Thanks for the tip on Pretty Litter.

My wife today commented that Desmond seems like he's filling out (in a good way). I really believe the good food is giving him a much needed boost.

I will keep the fountain flowing.

Just now I was giving him a good rub and he started purring like crazy, rolled on his back and looked like he was going to pass out. LOL.

Then he started grooming my Covid beard. I think he likes me.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

In addition, you might want to use Pretty Litter occasionally which will change color if it detects changes in urine. It is not clumping — urine is absorbed. The guy who started the company unexpectedly lost his young cat to kidney disease and thus began his quest to find a way to spot potential kidney disease early on. It is a bit pricey but, IMO, worth the money. Changes in litter color do not necessarily mean disease, just that the cat possibly should be checked out.

We use a regular silica crystal litter for our cat (not the color changing type), but it was still really useful when our cat had a urinary issue and the litter was pink from blood in her urine. Because of that, we caught it immediately and were able to immediately push fluids through. Pine pellets are my second favorite, but are a little more complicated to switch out when the box needs a full change. 

I’m still a bit worried about sufficient taurine, especially with a cat who’s been through a lot. Mouse hearts have higher concentration than other animals, so if a supplement is out of the question, some feeder mice might be a good idea. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KSera said:

We use a regular silica crystal litter for our cat (not the color changing type), but it was still really useful when our cat had a urinary issue and the litter was pink from blood in her urine. Because of that, we caught it immediately and were able to immediately push fluids through. Pine pellets are my second favorite, but are a little more complicated to switch out when the box needs a full change. 

I’m still a bit worried about sufficient taurine, especially with a cat who’s been through a lot. Mouse hearts have higher concentration than other animals, so if a supplement is out of the question, some feeder mice might be a good idea. 

I have actually been looking at feeder mice online. What's a good size for a small cat?

I'm not overly concerned about not delivering enough taurine, as I'm looking at foods with the richest taurine sources as the dietary mainstays and not cooking food or pre-grinding helps keep taurine from degrading.

I do understand that taurine is an essential amino acid. I'd prefer to feed taurine-rich real food rather than using Chinese produced synthetic taurine powder. Don't really trust the latter.

I would definitely consider feeder mice.

Bill

ETA: Do you have a source (link) for taurine levels in feeder mice and mice hearts? 

Edited by Spy Car

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Also, what is silica crystal litter? Is that sand? 

What is what I'm using (the Dr Elkins kitty litter)?

Bill

Silica is similar to what's in those little dessicant packets you're not supposed to eat. It absorbs all the urine and you just scoop solids. It has very good odor control.

Dr Elsey's is clay. Clay dust and silica dust are both bad for the lungs, fwiw (I fill the box outside before bringing in to let the dust cloud be outside rather than in). Pine litter is healthier from that perspective. We didn't do well with any of the more "healthy" litters, like the wheat based ones. I hated the smell of that one and the cat wanted to eat it. Clay litter is what most people use.

11 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I have actually been looking at feeder mice online. What's a good size for a small cat?

I'm not overly concerned about not delivering enough taurine, as I'm looking at foods with the richest taurine sources as the dietary mainstays and not cooking food or pre-grinding helps keep taurine from degrading.

I do understand that taurine is an essential amino acid. I'd prefer to feed taurine-rich real food rather than using Chinese produced synthetic taurine powder. Don't really trust the latter.

I would definitely consider feeder mice.

Bill

My cat didn't go for mice (we tried some we had on hand for our snake), but they were small adult mice that we tried. She likes live mice, but I would never buy live mice to give her. She's only had them when we used to get one in the basement occasionally and she caught it.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Silica is similar to what's in those little dessicant packets you're not supposed to eat. It absorbs all the urine and you just scoop solids. It has very good odor control.

Dr Elsey's is clay. Clay dust and silica dust are both bad for the lungs, fwiw (I fill the box outside before bringing in to let the dust cloud be outside rather than in). Pine litter is healthier from that perspective. We didn't do well with any of the more "healthy" litters, like the wheat based ones. I hated the smell of that one and the cat wanted to eat it. Clay litter is what most people use.

The clay was a bit of a pain when I cleaned the litter box yesterday. Some got sludgy on the bottom. So I dumped it all and sprayed it out well and dried and started over.

That was 3 days. What is normal? I have no idea about litter box management.

Good to know that breathing clay or silica is bad. I will be more careful to mask. Thanks.

Bill

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

My cat didn't go for mice (we tried some we had on hand for our snake), but they were small adult mice that we tried. She likes live mice, but I would never buy live mice to give her. She's only had them when we used to get one in the basement occasionally and she caught it.

Perhaps I can find a place that will sell me a few (frozen, not live) to try out.

So far, knock wood, Desmond is not picky. Quite the opposite. He's eaten everything. Makes my job easier. This weekend I'm going to lay in supplies and will vacuum freeze small portions to make this a bit easier.

I like feeding people and pets, and it makes me happy to see him eating well. He even ate the canned Royal Canin during his first meal at home, but it was his last choice out of his options.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Good to know that breathing clay or silica is bad. I will be more careful to mask.

Clay isn't as bad to breathe as silica, and most people don't take any precautions, but I don't like to breathe the dust so I thought I should mention.

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Clay isn't as bad to breathe as silica, and most people don't take any precautions, but I don't like to breathe the dust so I thought I should mention.

I'm very glad you mentioned it. I'd like to spare my lungs.

We have a fairly large box and a small cat.

How often does one typically tend to change out the litter for a single cat?

This is a huge area of know-nothingness for me

Bill

18 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

How often does one typically tend to change out the litter for a single cat?

Depends on the kind of litter. Solids scooped every time you see them in there (typically about once a day for an adult cat). I think people usually scoop clumps out at least once a day, but with silica you don't do that. I switch out the whole thing for fresh litter about every 3 weeks with silica litter, but it was more often than that with pine pellets (weekly?). You just kind of do it when it seems like it's getting too dirty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

Depends on the kind of litter. Solids scooped every time you see them in there (typically about once a day for an adult cat). I think people usually scoop clumps out at least once a day, but with silica you don't do that. I switch out the whole thing for fresh litter about every 3 weeks with silica litter, but it was more often than that with pine pellets (weekly?). You just kind of do it when it seems like it's getting too dirty.

Ah. I was good at getting the solids, but I'm afraid I was not removing "clumps" (urine soaked clay, right?).

Do people add more to replace what's lost, or just go until the next batch change-over?

Sorry to ask dumb questions. I'm clueless about this.

Bill

8 hours ago, Spy Car said:

The clay was a bit of a pain when I cleaned the litter box yesterday. Some got sludgy on the bottom. So I dumped it all and sprayed it out well and dried and started over.

That was 3 days. What is normal? I have no idea about litter box management.

Good to know that breathing clay or silica is bad. I will be more careful to mask. Thanks.

Bill

Some clay litters are better than others at not sticking to the bottom. I SWEAR by SLIDE litter by Arm and Hammer (not their other litters, just this one). It is called slide because it never sticks to the box. And clumps stay clumped - they don't break apart as you scoop. 

7 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Ah. I was good at getting the solids, but I'm afraid I was not removing "clumps" (urine soaked clay, right?).

Do people add more to replace what's lost, or just go until the next batch change-over?

Sorry to ask dumb questions. I'm clueless about this.

Bill

You scoop the poop and pee clumps once a day. How often you have to change all of it out depends on how well it clumps. Some brands clump so well you almost never need to dump it all out. I do maybe monthly, as most, if using a good hard clumping litter. And I add more litter as the level drops...so not every day but at least once a week, probably every 3 days. 

Cats like clay litter best usually - I prefer the pine pellets but cats do not. It's too hard on their feet. I had cats that had never peed outside the box doing so when I used pine pellets, no matter how gradual the transition. They want what feels like sand/dirt. 

• Like 2

Back when my son had only one cat, he would use 1/2 a bag of Pretty Litter per week. He uses plastic Target litter boxes and nests two together so that when he changes the litter out completely, he always has a fresh litter box right there. He cleans everything once per week because he lives in an apartment in the city and the litter box, which sits in a cabinet with cat entrances and doors, is right smack dab in his living room. The cabinet contains the litter and reduces smells. We placed charcoal filters inside and it is vented. You cannot tell that the cabinet contains a litter box unless you see the cat using it.

I agree about being careful with the dust. If you scoop and pour out the litter slowly, that will reduce the dust somewhat. Not perfect but…

We also use a metal scoop with a flat, slotted bottom. Everything goes all the way outside at least once a day because of the smell.

About cat litter… I’ve tried all kinds. The best I’ve found is World’s Best Cat Litter. It’s made from corn. You can flush it, but many people are hesitant to do this. But you don’t have to flush it, of course. If you do, you can set the box in the bathroom and scoop it out right into the toilet. Let it sit a few minutes, then flush.

Some have said it can mold, but I’ve used this for years and have not had one bit of trouble. I would imagine if you lived in a more humid climate, it’s possible. 

It hands down the most cat-box-odor-free litter out there. It’s easy on the lungs for you and the cat. Clay dust absolutely gags me. And I can’t tolerate perfumed litter. There is no perfume. It smells like sweet feed (for horses). I love the smell. 

Crystals are fine until they become saturated, then it gets yucky and you find yourself wanting to change the litter way before the package says to. 

It feels similar to clay, so there is no adjustment for your cat. 

It’s the Speed Queen (or Miele) of cat litters, lol. 

A friend once commented how impressed she was that my house has no cat box smell and wanted to know what litter I used.

I will argue this is The World’s Best Cat Litter all day long. Try it.

To answer your question upthread, yes, you can add more to replace what’s lost if needed. I do this until I need to dump and clean the entire box. You can get by with adding instead of dumping and cleaning longer with World’s Best. Dump and clean whenever you think it’s time. I do it every few months. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Some clay litters are better than others at not sticking to the bottom. I SWEAR by SLIDE litter by Arm and Hammer (not their other litters, just this one). It is called slide because it never sticks to the box. And clumps stay clumped - they don't break apart as you scoop. 

You scoop the poop and pee clumps once a day. How often you have to change all of it out depends on how well it clumps. Some brands clump so well you almost never need to dump it all out. I do maybe monthly, as most, if using a good hard clumping litter. And I add more litter as the level drops...so not every day but at least once a week, probably every 3 days. 

Cats like clay litter best usually - I prefer the pine pellets but cats do not. It's too hard on their feet. I had cats that had never peed outside the box doing so when I used pine pellets, no matter how gradual the transition. They want what feels like sand/dirt. 

Thanks for the tips. Makes sense.

I think we are paying a big price for the "attractant" variety of this litter. Seemed smart on a transition, but do I need to keep that up or go with unscented (crossing over)?

Bill