Menu

Good thoughts and prayers needed

Frances

My mom is hospitalized and will likely have gallbladder surgery tomorrow. She is in her 80s with numerous health issues, but the biggest concern post surgery is clotting issues, as she has been on blood thinners most of her adult life. She’s also in a COVID hotspot. I have tremendous faith in her hospital and care team, as my dad received exemplary care there for many years. But it’s very tough being so far away. Fortunately my brother and his family are there and they do allow one visitor at a time. Plus my niece works there and can stop by in breaks.

We also hope she will be able to return to her senior living complex after she recovers. She moved out of her home of 50+ years in the spring and into an apartment there right before everything shutdown. Despite all of the restrictions, she has already made many new friends. I think her social life, which never ceases to amaze me, is what has kept her alive for so long, despite serious health issues her whole life. Independence is very important to her, and despite them being happy to do so, she does not want to live with my brother and his family. And realistically, his house is much too small and she would be trapped in a small town with no ability to go anywhere on her own. But a job change last year and the pandemic have seriously affected his income, so moving up to something bigger elsewhere is also not possible.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Praying for your mom today, Frances! If she has the surgery today, I hope it goes perfectly and that she makes a quick recovery!

Thank you! The surgery went well and she is in recovery now. They plan to keep her for the rest of the week to get her blood to where it needs to before releasing her. She’s had several DVT before, so they really want to make sure everything is good before releasing her. The surgeon said normally people would go home the same day.

Thanks to everyone who is praying or thinking of her. She’s a lifelong devout Catholic who really believes in the power of prayer.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Frances said:

Thank you! The surgery went well and she is in recovery now. They plan to keep her for the rest of the week to get her blood to where it needs to before releasing her. She’s had several DVT before, so they really want to make sure everything is good before releasing her. The surgeon said normally people would go home the same day.

Thanks to everyone who is praying or thinking of her. She’s a lifelong devout Catholic who really believes in the power of prayer.

Thank you for the update! I’m so glad things went well — you must be so relieved! I wish she didn’t have to stay in the hospital all week, but it sounds like her surgeon is taking good care of her and has her best interests and long term health in mind. 

• Like 1

Praying for continued recovery!

Can brother bring her some homecooked food? Protein shake? Protein is so important for healing/wound care, and hospital meals can be...gross, lol. 

That, and moving around (with help! No falls!) are the biggest things to focus on, I'd think. 

Oh, and keeping her mind strong - some puzzles or books?

• Like 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

Praying for continued recovery!

Can brother bring her some homecooked food? Protein shake? Protein is so important for healing/wound care, and hospital meals can be...gross, lol. 

That, and moving around (with help! No falls!) are the biggest things to focus on, I'd think. 

Oh, and keeping her mind strong - some puzzles or books?

At this point I don’t think she can eat anything except broth, jello, and juice, as she still has lots of nausea. But I will mention this to him as she improves. I know she has her IPad, books, knitting, and crochet projects. So hopefully once she is feeling a bit better, she should be ok for entertainment. Plus tons of friends and family will call once she is up for it. The doctor is going to get physical therapists involved, both to help with movement, strength, and balance, and in order to get their take on when and if she can go back to living on her own in her senior apartment. Right now he is hopeful she will be able to. She has severe rheumatoid arthritis and already uses a walker for balance due to one of her feet being severely deformed by the disease. The fact that she already lives with chronic, sometimes severe pain is one reason the gallbladder issue was not diagnosed sooner.