Menu

Thinning hair 18 yo

Shellydon

My 18-year-old daughter has always had thin hair and it appears to be getting even thinner and is very concerning to her. hey doctor's visit with blood work showed no problems so I'm looking for some sort of shampoo or treatment that might help. I've always had crazy thick hair so I have no experience in this area. Do any of the shampoos or other topical treatments out there really help?

How is her stress level? Stress affects hair too. I have two bald patch after chemo and leave in conditioner helps. 

These are the two I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-Strengthen-Restore-Conditioner/dp/B00MXD6GBY (I find this useful for styling my messy hair with my fingers)
https://www.amazon.com/Weleda-Rosemary-Conditioning-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B00DCUVYWS

ETA:

I bought mine from Whole Foods, Target, Safeway and they last a long time.

Edited by Arcadia

While I don't want to downplay stress, this is also a sign of both PCOS and autoimmune issues.  Are her periods regular?  Does she get a malar rash from going in the sun?  Does she have a history of recurrent pneumonia, pleurisy, kidney or heart issues?

I'd want autoimmune and female hormone lab tests run, along with thyroid.

36 minutes ago, Katy said:

While I don't want to downplay stress, this is also a sign of both PCOS and autoimmune issues.  Are her periods regular?  Does she get a malar rash from going in the sun?  Does she have a history of recurrent pneumonia, pleurisy, kidney or heart issues?

I'd want autoimmune and female hormone lab tests run, along with thyroid.

Normal menstrual cycle, no rash, no history of any sort of illness at all. She hasn't gotten a cold in 5 years. The last time she was actually sick she was 13 and got tonsillitis. Always feels fine

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

How is her stress level? Stress affects hair too. I have two bald patch after chemo and leave in conditioner helps. 

These are the two I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-Strengthen-Restore-Conditioner/dp/B00MXD6GBY (I find this useful for styling my messy hair with my fingers)
https://www.amazon.com/Weleda-Rosemary-Conditioning-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B00DCUVYWS

ETA:

I bought mine from Whole Foods, Target, Safeway and they last a long time.

Thanks! I'll order these

I’ve always had thin hair, but it has gotten worse in the last few years.  I tried one of the keratin shampoos and it did nothing.  On a whim, and because it was on sale, I tried the Aussie mega volume shampoo.  I noticed a difference the first time I used it.  Dd17 used some on a trip and couldn’t believe how much thicker her hair felt.  She’s not much of a girlie-girl, so I knew it was a significant difference.  It’s the only kind we use now.

• Like 1

Nioxin worked wonders for me.  If you have a wad of money to spend on shampoo, Zenagen is a higher quality shampoo with the same results, but leaves a nicer texture on the hair.  Be forewarned that these shampoos won't work for about 1/3 of the people who try them, but the change was dramatic for me; it took 2-3 months to see notable progress.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

Nioxin worked wonders for me.  If you have a wad of money to spend on shampoo, Zenagen is a higher quality shampoo with the same results, but leaves a nicer texture on the hair.  Be forewarned that these shampoos won't work for about 1/3 of the people who try them, but the change was dramatic for me; it took 2-3 months to see notable progress.

I came in to mention that Nioxin has worked for me, too, but it took some time.  I ordered from Amazon.  I haven't heard of Zenagen but I am now going to try it!

• Like 1

Did she have actual thyroid work done?  Free T3 and Free T4 - with them optimum (NOT "in range")

a 24 hr cortisol saliva test.  

it can affect hair density.  My started thinning after menopause - then started treated thyroid and adrenals . . Now, it's getting as thick as when I was younger.

Nioxin seems to work pretty well for me, though honestly I think my periods of hair loss are strongly correlated with diet and/or hormonal changes. Has she had weight loss or done any sort of stringent diet in the last few months? I typically experience the thinning about 2-4 months post-change in eating habits.

2 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

She is halfway through a bottle of this, so maybe we should keep it up for a bit longer

1 hour ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Nioxin seems to work pretty well for me, though honestly I think my periods of hair loss are strongly correlated with diet and/or hormonal changes. Has she had weight loss or done any sort of stringent diet in the last few months? I typically experience the thinning about 2-4 months post-change in eating habits.

No major diet changes.  She turned 18 this summer, so maybe hormones?

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Did she have actual thyroid work done?  Free T3 and Free T4 - with them optimum (NOT "in range")

a 24 hr cortisol saliva test.  

it can affect hair density.  My started thinning after menopause - then started treated thyroid and adrenals . . Now, it's getting as thick as when I was younger.

No, just the regular test

38 minutes ago, Shellydon said:

No, just the regular test

The "regular" test is TSH. It's made by the pituitary.  It doesn't give good information of what the thyroid is doing.  Free T3 and Free T4 give much more accurate information on thyroid function.  Same for the saliva test for coritsol.  It's a 24 hr spit test so you can see what the levels do during the day - the blood test is one and done and doesn't tell you what it's doing.

19 minutes ago, kand said:

Ditto in the thyroid stuff and did she have ferritin tested? The rest of my daughter’s iron tests looked normal, but her ferritin was very low. Getting that up with a really good supplement made a huge difference.

yes - she needs a full iron panel, not just a CBC, and she needs a full thyroid panel, not just a TSH. An autoimmune panel would also be wise. 

Birth control pills can cause hair issues, depending on the type, from what I've read, as can other hormonal issues.