Menu

FYI: Napa, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, Santa Clara County wildfire evacuations (updated Aug 28th)

Arcadia

@Chrysalis Academy@Liz CA@MEmama@Pen

Sonoma

https://local.nixle.com/alert/8189090/
https://mobile.twitter.com/CALFIRELNU/status/1295860385598312449

Napa

https://local.nixle.com/napa-county-oes

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/fire-erupts-near-lake-berryessa/
“Follow our live blog below for the latest information on fires across the region:

4:00 p.m.

Sonoma County

Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office has issued more mandatory evacuations for the Meyers Grade Road area.

• Meyers Grade Road to the Sonoma Coast
  • South of Fort Ross Road
  • North of the Intersection of Meyers Grade Road at Highway 1

Napa County 

The LNU Lightning Complex is comprised of three large fires – Hennessey, Gamble, and 15-10.

In Napa County, the Hennessey Fire exploded to 2,700 acres on Monday near Lake Hennessey.

An evacuation order update has been issued to these areas:

• Berryessa Knockvile Rd from Eastside Rd to Hwy 128 
  • Everything West of Lake Berryessa’s water edge
  • Pope Canyon Rd from Pope Valley Rd to Berryessa Knoxville Rd
  • The intersection on Butts Canyon Rd and Snell Valley Rd to all of the Berryessa Estates Sub Division

Alameda County Fire

According to Alameda County Fire, Evacuation Warnings have been lifted for residents of Kilkare Canyon in Sunol.

3:00 p.m. 

Sonoma County has issued an evacuation in the following areas.

• North of Austin Creek Recreational Area
  • East of The Cedars
  • West of end of Mill Creek Road
  • South of Stewarts Point – Skaggs Springs Rd

An evacuation warning has been issued for Loma Mar and Dearborn Park communities in Southern San Mateo County.

2:00 p.m.

Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued in Napa County.

• From Moskowite Corner to Wooden Valley Rd, including the community of Circle Oaks
  • Atlas Peak from the Bubbing Well Pet Cemetary at 2462 Atlas Peak Rd to the dead end
  • From Loma Vista Rd / Soda Canyon Rd to the dead end
  • All of Hennessey Ridge Rd
  • Sage Canyon Road from Chiles-Pope Valley Road to Lower Chiles Valley Rd
  • Highway 2128 from Lower Chiles Valley Road to Monticello Rd
  • Intersection on Butts Canyon Rd and Snell Valley Rd to Spanish Valley, to include the Berryessa estates

1:00 p.m.

A growing wildfire in the Austin Creek area of Sonoma County is prompting some evacuations. According to officials, the fire is estimated to be 100+ acres as of 1 p.m. and continues to grow. 

An evacuation warning has been issued for the following areas:

• North of Austin Creek Recreational Area
  • East of The Cedars
  • West of end of Mill Creek Road
  • South of Stewarts Point – Skaggs Springs Rd“

ETA: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/california-wildfires-some-of-largest-in-state-history/2349758/

“But the death toll already had reached at least six since the majority of blazes started less than a week ago. Five deaths involved fires burning in wine country north of San Francisco. The other death was a helicopter pilot who crashed while dropping water on a blaze in Fresno County.

Henry Wofford, spokesman for the Napa County Sheriff’s Office, said three of the bodies were found Thursday in a burned home. The area was under an evacuation order due to “very, very heavy" fire that he said burned multiple homes. He said authorities are trying to determine the identities. 

In neighboring Solano County, Sheriff Thomas A. Ferrara reported the death of a male resident. The other victim was a Pacific Gas & Electric utility worker who was found dead Wednesday in a vehicle in the Vacaville area.”

ETA:

image.thumb.jpeg.4af5058e73ee3a5d2bca0028e7a1b4fe.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

@MEmama it got worse overnight 😢

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/19/firefighters-waging-desperate-battle-as-wildfire-blazing-toward-vacaville/

“VACAVILLE (CBS SF) — Firefighters and first responders raced through residential areas on the outskirts of Vacaville Wednesday morning, evacuating homes as a wall of flames advanced from blazes burning in neighboring Napa County near Lake Berryessa.

The fire roared over Mt. Vaca in the early morning hours, knocking out a communication tower and then quickly moved toward I-80 and the neighborhoods nestled in northwest Vacaville.

KPIX 5 reporter Katie Nielsen was in the midst of the fire. Winds generated by the blaze fueled the fire’s advance as flames were quickly moving toward homes in the pre-dawn darkness. Many local residents went to bed with the fire seemingly burning miles away. Then the winds kicked up and the fire quickly advanced on their homes, they were forced to flee with just the clothing they were wearing.

Police and firefighters were going door-to-door in a frantic scramble to make sure residents were able to escape the flames.

Among those scrambling to escape was woman named Diane and her husband. She told KPIX 5 of her narrow escape. 

“I got all my children out, but then I panicked a little bit. It took me a little while to get out,” said Diane Bustos as she stood wearing a singed nightgown. “My husband was driving the car and it burned. He got burned and had to leave the car and it blow up. So I was walking down by myself and I got all these flames on me. I lost my shoes. But I made it, God saved me.”

The fire blazed toward Pleasants Valley Rd & Pleasant Hills Ranch Way. Local resident Matthew Henderson went live on facebook was he walked through a burning neighborhood — several homes were fully engulfed in fire.

Residents of Pleasants Valley Road — a 12-mile stretch which runs the length of Vacaville from Highway 128 to I-80 — and all connecting streets scrambled from their homes as the fast moving blaze — one of several fires in the LNU Lightning Complex fire — leaped over the roadway.

By 5:45 a.m., flames had roared into the Gibson Canyon area. Firefighters had deployed south of Pleasants Valley Rd, readying to stop the flames from reaching further into Vacaville. 

Kraig P. Kooiman took to social media to describe his sister’s close call.

“My sister escaped without any warning that the fire was on their property,” he posted. “Just drove through 30-foot flames escaped. Their property is at the end of Vickery Lane on the left side. There were last known there were two peoples trapped.”

Brent Wolfe was among the Pleasants Valley Rd. evacuees.

“I actually got had a neighbor text me — his house is gone and his father’s house about that,” he told KPIX 5. “The sheriff’s department showed us and told us to vacate and if you have sprinklers turn them on and get out of here.”

Meanwhile, the Vacaville Fire Department pleaded with residents to flee.

“All residents need to evacuate the West Side of Pleasants Valley Rd now,” officials posted.

Evacuations orders were in place for all residents in Quail Canyon, Miller Canton, Mix Canyon, Gates Canyon, Pleasants Valley Rd and connecting streets/roads.

Elsewhere in Solano County, the Solano County Sheriff’s Office said residents west of Blue Ridge Road to Interstate Highway 505 and
north of Cherry Glen Road to state Highway 128 were told evacuate immediately Wednesday morning.

The Fairfield Police Department issued advisories for the residential areas east of Interstate Highway 80 north of Manuel Campos Road;
residential areas west of Highway 80 off of Hilborn and Lyon roads; and residential areas near Rancho Solano Parkway.”

• Sad 6

My folks aren’t in immediate danger atm but they are starting to pack the cars. I reminded them to bring tents—this is no time to be in overcrowded evacuation centers if one can help it (obviously not a time to be out in the wild, either! But tents could help with social distancing if nothing else).

I hope all our California boardies  are safe!

Chrysalis Academy, thinking of you as I look at the maps.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I hate fire season.

California fire map. SoCal is having large fires too

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/california-fire-map/ 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/8ca8296b14384a468c72e63fd6de766a 

ETA: both maps can be moved and zoom in/out to show entire California 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Almost every county nearby including mine are having evacuation orders. 😞

https://mobile.twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1296209793414135809

“In the past 72 hours we have seen an increase in fire activity across CA due largely to thunderstorms & extremely high temps. NOW is the time to ensure you & your family are prepared. Have a plan & remember, if you feel unsafe, do not hesitate to evacuate. https://readyforwildfire.org

3:17 PM · Aug 19, 2020·Twitter Web App

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Hugs and stay safe everyone!  It's raining ashes in Sacramento from all the fires. Never seen it this bad. 

I wore a mask to go to my backyard - so much smoke in the air and I can not see too far down my road. The smell is worse than when Napa burned last time.

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Arcadia, are you evacuating? ((Hugs)). 

No. The affected area in my county is more of Morgan Hill, Gilroy and East San Jose. The Mt Hamilton/Lick Observatory  area.  My home is in one of the lowest risk area for wildfire. I can smell the smoke and the sky was red yesterday afternoon so it’s definitely bad air quality for those living nearer to the wildfires.

• Like 2

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/20/lnu-lightning-complex-fire-fairfield-pge-worker-killed-healdsburg-evacuation/

“HEALDSBURG (CBS SF) — At least four people are dead and four others injured as the massive group of fires comprising the LNU Lightning Complex fires(map)  burned through 215,000 acres as of Thursday evening, destroying or damaging more than 600 structures, fire officials reported.

A Cal Fire Sonoma Lake Unit update at 7:30 p.m. said significant fire growth is expected and the fires continue to make runs in multiple directions, impacting multiple communities. Multiple fires have merged on the north side of Lake Berryessa into the Hennessey Fire, and was actively spreading into large areas of timber.

In Napa County and Lake County, the Hennessey Fire was at 192,000 acres as of Thursday evening. The largest of the LNU Complex fires, the Hennessey Fire is now merged with the Gamble, Green, Aetna, Markley, Spanish, Morgan, and Round fires.

In Sonoma County, the Walbridge Fire — merged with the Stewarts Fire — has burned 20,000 acres west of Healdsburg. Also in Sonoma County, the Meyers Fire north of Jenner has burned 3,000 acres.

There was zero containment on the fires as of Thursday evening.“

• Sad 4

39 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/20/lnu-lightning-complex-fire-fairfield-pge-worker-killed-healdsburg-evacuation/

“HEALDSBURG (CBS SF) — At least four people are dead and four others injured as the massive group of fires comprising the LNU Lightning Complex fires(map)  burned through 215,000 acres as of Thursday evening, destroying or damaging more than 600 structures, fire officials reported.

A Cal Fire Sonoma Lake Unit update at 7:30 p.m. said significant fire growth is expected and the fires continue to make runs in multiple directions, impacting multiple communities. Multiple fires have merged on the north side of Lake Berryessa into the Hennessey Fire, and was actively spreading into large areas of timber.

In Napa County and Lake County, the Hennessey Fire was at 192,000 acres as of Thursday evening. The largest of the LNU Complex fires, the Hennessey Fire is now merged with the Gamble, Green, Aetna, Markley, Spanish, Morgan, and Round fires.

In Sonoma County, the Walbridge Fire — merged with the Stewarts Fire — has burned 20,000 acres west of Healdsburg. Also in Sonoma County, the Meyers Fire north of Jenner has burned 3,000 acres.

There was zero containment on the fires as of Thursday evening.“

Oh man I’m so sorry to hear this!  Please stay safe and give yourself plenty of time if you do need to leave!

• Like 1

I’m wondering what will happen with global fire fighting this year.  Typically crews can be sent back and forth between us and Aus and other countries with opposite fire seasons as well as planes.  I’m assuming they will be deemed essential and allowed in without quarantine if needed.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m wondering what will happen with global fire fighting this year.  Typically crews can be sent back and forth between us and Aus and other countries with opposite fire seasons as well as planes.  I’m assuming they will be deemed essential and allowed in without quarantine if needed.  

A large proportion of wildfire fighters are usually volunteers from low security prisons.  This year that is almost nil due to Covid, which is reducing the fighting force significantly.  The local governor is being criticized for not having sent in the National Guard.  There is no containment yet on these big fires.  Lots of losses, and tons of worried people who have already evacuated.

• Like 1

@Chrysalis Academy think you have a friend living in HMB.
CBS news https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/21/san-mateo-county-beach-communities-urge-visitors-to-stay-away-due-to-czu-fire/

“BEACHES OFF LIMITS: Half Moon Bay has closed its beaches due to the massive CZU wildfire and officials in San Mateo County want any potential visitors to stay away from the coast.

Residents of several communities to the south of Half Moon Bay, including Pescadero, San Gregorio and La Honda, were told to evacuate as of Thursday night. At total of 64,000 people in San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties are under evacuation orders.

As of Friday morning, Cal Fire said the fire has scorched at least 50,000 acres (78 square miles), with no containment. The fire, along with hundreds of others, was sparked from a rare lightning storm that hit the region over the weekend.”

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

As of Friday morning, Cal Fire said the fire has scorched at least 50,000 acres (78 square miles), with no containment. The fire, along with hundreds of others, was sparked from a rare lightning storm that hit the region over the weekend.”

Aaaand there’s another dry lightning (Read ‘Fire starting’) storm in the forecast for Sunday through Tuesday.  

• Sad 5

44 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Aaaand there’s another dry lightning (Read ‘Fire starting’) storm in the forecast for Sunday through Tuesday.  

I’ll prep for potential power outage and internet outage then. Luckily DS15’s exam for his Foothill summer class is over.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I know our local news had a story about Eugene Oregon fire crews heading down to help. This sounds worse than even what CA has already been through in recent years.

image.thumb.jpeg.939b53e88852cfd3e9f6b76e3088963b.jpeg

Posted by CalFire five hours ago

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I know our local news had a story about Eugene Oregon fire crews heading down to help. This sounds worse than even what CA has already been through in recent years.

These are not yet the biggest fires we have had in NorCal, but they are close to a lot more people and structures than our other ginormous fires have been.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

These are not yet the biggest fires we have had in NorCal, but they are close to a lot more people and structures than our other ginormous fires have been.  

LNU Lightning Complex Fire @MEmamahttps://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/17/lnu-lightning-complex-includes-hennessey-gamble-15-10-spanish-markley-13-4-11-16-walbridge/

“314,207 Acres

15% Contained

Active Active for 4 days

5 Counties Napa, Sonoma and Stanislaus, Lake, Solano

Damages and Losses

Confirmed Damage to Property, Injuries, and Fatalities

125 Structures Damaged Residential, Commercial and Other

560 Structures Destroyed Residential, Commercial and Other

4 Injuries Confirmed Fire Personnel and Civilian Injuries

4 Fatalities Confirmed Fire Personnel and Civilian Fatalities”

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/18/scu-lightning-complex/

SCU Lightning Complex @mathnerd

“291,968 Acres

10% Contained

Active Active for 3 days

5 Counties Santa Clara, Alameda and Stanislaus, San Joaquin, Merced

Damages and Losses

Confirmed Damage to Property, Injuries, and Fatalities

5 Structures Destroyed Residential, Commercial and Other

2 Injuries Confirmed Fire Personnel and Civilian Injuries”

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, iamonlyone said:

DD25 is in Stanislaus County (fires are 20 miles from her house), and we live half the country away. 

Tell her to charge up any powerbank, and keep her cellphone charge. Sign up for text alerts from city and county if she haven’t done so. Bookmark the Twitter page for her county’s fire department in case the webpages go down (Twitter doesn’t need an account to read). If she has a laptop, then have a laptop bag ready to grab and go.

I am in a sort of urban area in Santa Clara county but we are doing a grocery run today in prep of the coming lightning storm.

From US National Weather Service

”Update to the Fire Weather Watch!

The Fire Weather Watch now begins at 5 AM PDT Sunday and runs through Tuesday morning when dry t-storms are possible.”

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

DD25 is in Stanislaus County (fires are 20 miles from her house), and we live half the country away. Between this and DD20 who went back to in-person university on Tuesday (not in California), I have a lot on my mind and heart!

Is she close to the Moccasin Fire?  It’s not as big as the rest so it’s not getting the same press, but the terrain is kind of rough and there are a lot of evacuations in the area because of the fear of escape routes being so limited and possibly getting cut off.  

If it’s the one near Morgan Hill, to the West, the weather is helping with that one today.   Less wind, so the air quality is worse, and it’s still pretty hot, but the lack of wind is giving them a toe hold in fighting the fire.    I have a friends in Milpitas who were pretty close to the evacuation area for that fire yesterday, and today the evacuation warning has receded to further away from them.

If she needs help, let me know.  I and people I know are local to both areas.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

CalFire

“As of August 22, the #LNULightningComplex is now the 2nd largest fire in California history & the #SCULightningComplex is now 3rd. This shows just how dry the conditions are in California. More lightning is anticipated tomorrow & into Tuesday – everyone must remain alert & have an evacuation plan. https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/5510/top20_acres.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.043744321f9894fc65b8cdd0dc64ccf7.jpeg

• Sad 6

On 8/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, Robin M said:

Hugs and stay safe everyone!  It's raining ashes in Sacramento from all the fires. Never seen it this bad. 

It wasn't even this bad when Paradise burnt to the ground, I think we are getting all the "bad stuff" from the Fairfiled / Vacaville area and a little north where I am, smoky air is blowing south from the Oroville fire.

• Sad 3

The smoke here is awful.  We are under a Spare the Air order until at least Monday.  This means no grilling which means using the oven in the middle of a heat wave.  This is no fun!  We aren’t packing to leave 

We are not in any danger at least not now.  We have Bay about a mile away on one side, a creek on another and freeways/expressway on the other sides.  Our biggest issue is definitely the smoke.  
Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

CalFire posted 10mins ago, this one is nearer to Santa Cruz, Los Gatos Hills, Saratoga 

“#CZULightningComplex August 22 perimeter map. Note the red circles are where lightning strikes started fires on August 16.
https://conta.cc/31kGSUk”

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/CZU-Lightning-Complex-Perimeter-Map-August-20.html?soid=1133733276209&aid=FlrByl-flVs

CalFire posted an hour ago

“If you are looking for information regarding a specific fire, please see the public information phone numbers below. We do ask that you are patient due to the high volume of calls. For more information, visit fire.ca.gov.“

image.jpeg

On 8/21/2020 at 1:02 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

On 8/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

A large proportion of wildfire fighters are usually volunteers from low security prisons.  This year that is almost nil due to Covid, which is reducing the fighting force significantly.  The local governor is being criticized for not having sent in the National Guard.  There is no containment yet on these big fires.  Lots of losses, and tons of worried people who have already evacuated.

Help came 🙂

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/22/reinforcements-arriving-along-san-francisco-bay-area-fire-lines-as-new-storm-approaches/

“SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/AP) — Firefighters and aircraft from 10 states continued to arrive in the San Francisco Bay Area Saturday as a new weather plume bringing with it a chance for gusty winds and another round of dry lightning was bearing down on the region.

The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning to begin at 5 a.m. Sunday. So the reinforcements were arriving just in time to help weary crews who have been battling some of the largest blazes in state history.

Some 560 wildfires were burning throughout the state but many were small and remote. The bulk of damage was from three clusters of blazes that were ravaging forest and rural areas in the wine country and San Francisco Bay Area.

Those complexes, consisting of dozens of fires, exploded in size Friday. Together, they had scorched 991 square miles and destroyed more than 500 homes and other buildings, fire officials said.

CZU Lightning Complex Firefight Enters 7th Day

At least 100,000 people were under evacuation orders.

Two Bay Area clusters, the LNU Lightning Complex and the SCU Lightning Complex, became respectively the second- and third-largest wildfires in recent state history by size, according to Cal Fire records.

The third blaze, the CZU Lightning Complex, is in San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties.”

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Is she close to the Moccasin Fire?  It’s not as big as the rest so it’s not getting the same press, but the terrain is kind of rough and there are a lot of evacuations in the area because of the fear of escape routes being so limited and possibly getting cut off.  

If it’s the one near Morgan Hill, to the West, the weather is helping with that one today.   Less wind, so the air quality is worse, and it’s still pretty hot, but the lack of wind is giving them a toe hold in fighting the fire.    I have a friends in Milpitas who were pretty close to the evacuation area for that fire yesterday, and today the evacuation warning has receded to further away from them.

If she needs help, let me know.  I and people I know are local to both areas.

I don't really understand the way the fires are named. In news articles in her city's online newspaper, I'm seeing the SCU Lightning Complex mentioned as a concern, but on the map that doesn't look very close to me. Thank you so much for your offer of help! The friends and homeowners from whom she rents a suite plan to return home on Tuesday, so that will help to have experienced folks there with her. Right now, it's just DD and the cat.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, Arcadia said:

Tell her to charge up any powerbank, and keep her cellphone charge. Sign up for text alerts from city and county if she haven’t done so. Bookmark the Twitter page for her county’s fire department in case the webpages go down (Twitter doesn’t need an account to read). If she has a laptop, then have a laptop bag ready to grab and go.

I am in a sort of urban area in Santa Clara county but we are doing a grocery run today in prep of the coming lightning storm.

From US National Weather Service

”Update to the Fire Weather Watch!

The Fire Weather Watch now begins at 5 AM PDT Sunday and runs through Tuesday morning when dry t-storms are possible.”

Thank you so much! I'll pass along this information. I had actually never heard of a powerbank before. That sounds like a good investment!