Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW30: Musing on Miscellany

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dearhearts!   A cup of tea and thee on a gadabout, a roundabout adventure. Let's walk and talk and muse, about the day, the past, the future, with a miscellany of essays, fictional and fun. Cheers to Flufferton, frissons of delight and fantastical creatures. No telling what we'll find to fill our minds when we roam, ramble, and read whatever comes to light.

Today we celebrate the birth of George Bernard ShawAldous HuxleyAndre MauroisAnwar ChairilAna María Matute Ausejo, and Lawrence Watt Evans.

Literary Musings

On Jane Austen’s Politics of Walking

An Illustrated Love Letter to Gardening

How literary censorship inspired creativity in Victorian writers

Why are we so interested in Historians?

T. S. Eliot, The Art of Poetry No. 1

The Rise of Science Fiction from Pulp Mags to Cyberpunk

What is your literary Waterloo?

How to Judge a Book by its cover.

The greatest literary groups in history

Have fun following rabbit trails!

Link to week 29

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 10

I'm currently reading Shadow Scale: A Companion to Seraphina which is quite good. Loving the unique story:  (Dragons and other fantastical creatures)

"The kingdom of Goredd: a world where humans and dragons share life with an uneasy balance, and those few who are both human and dragon must hide the truth. Seraphina is one of these, part girl, part dragon, who is reluctantly drawn into the politics of her world. When war breaks out between the dragons and humans, she must travel the lands to find those like herself—for she has an inexplicable connection to all of them, and together they will be able to fight the dragons in powerful, magical ways.

As Seraphina gathers this motley crew, she is pursued by humans who want to stop her. But the most terrifying is another half dragon, who can creep into people’s minds and take them over. Until now, Seraphina has kept her mind safe from intruders, but that also means she’s held back her own gift. It is time to make a choice: Cling to the safety of her old life, or embrace a powerful new destiny?"

Added another Serafina to my stacks:  Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty (Kindle unlimited) which caught my eye. 

We returned to the MCU last night with Thor: Dark World. 

"After the events of 'Marvel Avengers Assemble' (2012), Earth and the Nine Realms come under attack from the powerful Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) and his age-old army that have existed since even before the creation of the universe. With the enemy proving near impossible to defeat, Thor approaches his adoptive brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) for help, despite his villainous past. Meanwhile, the hero becomes reacquainted with the woman he loves, astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), and takes her to Asgard in an attempt to protect her from harm."

Last week we watched Eagle Eye with Shia Labouf which I had seen years ago when it first came out and it made me really paranoid about cell phones and the internet.  Fast paced, intense, really good movie.

"Jerry Shaw (LaBeouf) and Rachel Holloman (Monaghan) are two strangers thrown together by a mysterious phone call from a woman they have never met. Threatening their lives and family, she pushes Jerry and Rachel into a series of increasingly dangerous situations - using the technology of everyday life to track and control their every move. As the situation escalates, these two ordinary people become the country's most wanted fugitives, who must work together to discover what is really happening - and more importantly, why."

• Like 10

Thought I would hop in here for a little while.  I just finished Pilgrim's Progress and am now reading part 2 of Pilgrim's Progress.  The first one I sort of slogged through and then I watched the animated movie and really wanted to read part 2.  I am more than halfway through and disappointed because the wife who is on pilgrimage really hasn't had to go through the difficulties because of what she learned from her husband or she had companions help her.  Hopefully she will have something come along for her to really struggle through.

I am also doing Little House on the Prairie with daughter as a read aloud.  That series was one of my favorites as a kid and dd couldn't get into it when she was younger, even now she is kind of bored by it. 

• Like 13

I finished three books last week! I had been working on all three for some time. All three were very heavy on the heart. 

The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili: This is quite the chunkster at 944 pages. It is a multigenerational saga of a Georgian family (the country not the state). It roughly spans the 20th century, and is an excellent piece of historical fiction. Warning: there is a lot of violence including sexual violence. Written in German and translated into English, it was Longlisted for the 2020 Booker International Prize. Four stars.

A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age in Prison by Reginald Dwayne Betts: An excellent memoir by a man who was convicted of carjacking at age 16. He spent nearly nine years in an adult prison in Virginia. Betts is well known for his poetry, and I have begun his most recent book of poems, Felon. Excellent writing and heartbreaking insight into what can happen to a kid who makes one bad decision. Four stars.

Yahya Hassan 2 by Yahya Hassan. I think that Yahya Hassan, who tragically died in April at age 24, was one of the most important voices in contemporary Danish literature. His parents were Palestinian refugees, and he grew up in what is sometimes called the parallel society in Denmark. This volume of poems was published late in 2019. Before his death, the book was nominated for the Nordic Council Literature Prize, and perhaps he will be awarded it posthumously. Here is a good article about his life and his work. I will no doubt be returning regularly to both of his poetry books. Five stars.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 11

Since my last post, I’ve finished seven books, bringing my total to 142 books read to date.

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man (Mary L. Trump; 2020. Non-fiction.)
This was the soundtrack of most of the second leg (Massachusetts to Michigan) of our recent travels; I finished listening during one of our walks once we returned home. I agree with this reviewer: keenly observed, well written, and “the most convincingly empathetic chronicle of Donald Trump I’d ever read.”

A Separation (Katie Kitamura; 2017. Fiction.)
This was well-reviewed by critics but not necessarily by readers, if the mixed reviews on Amazon and Goodreads are an indication. I really liked it, though. It reminded me of The Third Hotel (Laura van den Berg), a book I read and admired in 2018.

The Sorrows of Young Werther (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe; 1774. Trans. Elizabeth Mayer and Louise Bogan; 1990. Fiction.)
Yes, he’s troubled and self-absorbed, but I don’t belong to the reading club that maintains we must like the protagonist to like the book. I will say, though, that I am old enough to have wanted to be “quite severe” with Werther, to insist that he get a grip and meet a few more suitable companions. Heh, heh, heh.

p. 9
There is a certain monotony about mankind. Most people toil during the greater part of their lives in order to live, and the slender span of free time that remains worries them so much that they try by every means to get rid of it. O Destiny of Man!

Antigone (Sophocles; 441 B.C. Trans. Ian Johnston; 2016. Drama.)
Read in anticipation of an upcoming Theater of War production.

More about that these three next time:

Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life (Ruth Franklin; 2016. Non-fiction.) 

Richard II (William Shakespeare; 1595. Drama.) 

The Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson; 1959. Fiction.) 

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 12

I read Strong Women Stay Young - 5 Stars - This book had been book sitting on my shelf for the longest while. I decided to pick it up once I realized that I was getting tired of feeling that my body was turning to mush. This book has inspired me to start strength training once again.

The advice is good, solid, and thoroughly researched. This program was tested among seniors. The exercises are easy to do and are ones that I am already familiar with. There are eight exercises that take about 20 minutes to be done twice a week. It’s suggested to gradually increase the level of weights. There are five additional exercises for those who wish to do more.

Adjustable ankle weights and a few dumbbells are needed. I have enough dumbbells, but I will need to order ankle weights. I already have some, but I think I’d like to improve on the ones that I have. My ankles are weak, and I know that it’s important to strengthen them in order to improve balance and to hopefully prevent falls.

What I really appreciated was the chart that gave suggestions as to the maximum amount of weight for each exercise according to one’s age group. I love customized charts and suggestions like that! There’s even a chapter and guidelines for men.

I would recommend this book to all adult women (and men), but especially to those who are concerned about so many different areas when it comes to aging, including wellness and feeling your best.

9780553588736.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am still in the process of rereading Issac's Storm, and somehow, have ended up resuming the Warren Buffett tome, The Snowball, on Audible. 

Jumping back in after a long absence! 

I have never read Isaac's Storm but my son did; he was always a reader but that book did something to him (in a good way). That may have been the first 'adult' narrative nonfiction he read on his own and it just expanded his reading horizons in a new way.

• Like 9

This weekend I finished Monkeewrench by P. J. Tracy ; it's a mystery thriller which I enjoyed. It had a complex storyline and kept me guessing. It's the start of a ten book series which I'd like to continue. So, my libraries have books four and on but not books two and three...hmmph!

"People are dying for the new computer game by the software company Monkeewrench. Literally. With Serial Killer Detective out in limited release, the real-life murders of a jogger and a young woman have already mimicked the first two scenarios in the game.

But Grace McBride and her eccentric Monkeewrench partners are caught in a vise. If they tell the Minneapolis police of the link between their game and the murders, they'll shine a spotlight on the past they thought they had erased-and the horror they thought they'd left behind. If they don't, eighteen more people will die...'

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Some bookish posts, all from reddit ~

Suggest me an interesting non-fiction book!

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hof46p/suggest_me_an_interesting_nonfiction_book/

Any modern books like Agatha Christie's Poirot?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hp4f0a/any_modern_books_like_agatha_christies_poirot/

Books with a modern take on greek mythology

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hqz5jj/books_with_a_modern_take_on_greek_mythology 

[From a 13 year old] Can I get a book recommendation?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hqxlt8/can_i_get_a_book_recommendation/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Negin said:

I read Strong Women Stay Young - 5 Stars - This book had been book sitting on my shelf for the longest while. I decided to pick it up once I realized that I was getting tired of feeling that my body was turning to mush. This book has inspired me to start strength training once again.

I have the book and it is good.  I just wish they had a video to follow with the program.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Negin said:

The advice is good, solid, and thoroughly researched. This program was tested among seniors. The exercises are easy to do and are ones that I am already familiar with. There are eight exercises that take about 20 minutes to be done twice a week. It’s suggested to gradually increase the level of weights. There are five additional exercises for those who wish to do more.

Adjustable ankle weights and a few dumbbells are needed. I have enough dumbbells, but I will need to order ankle weights. I already have some, but I think I’d like to improve on the ones that I have. My ankles are weak, and I know that it’s important to strengthen them in order to improve balance and to hopefully prevent falls.

What I really appreciated was the chart that gave suggestions as to the maximum amount of weight for each exercise according to one’s age group. I love customized charts and suggestions like that! There’s even a chapter and guidelines for men.

I would recommend this book to all adult women (and men), but especially to those who are concerned about so many different areas when it comes to aging, including wellness and feeling your best.

Added to my cart.

It might take me a while to figure out what age I am*, but this looks like something that could potentially help me.

*When I was diagnosed with RA, I was told my bone density was the same as an 80-year-old woman's.  That was more than a decade ago.  Yes, I have some pretty limiting health problems, but I feel pretty good for mid-90s!

• Like 8

It was a productive and eclectic reading week here!

You're Already Amazing by Holley Garth -- This was a fluffy rah-rah book.  I enjoyed it, but not as much as some of her other books that I've read.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe -- I am sorry that it has taken me so long to read this book. 

I was wondering throughout the book which character I most identified with.  I don't know.  I mean, I grew up in the North and was always taught that Slavery is Wrong.  But if I had been born in a different time and place?  I don't know.  I don't think that I could be cruel, but would I have been the quiet wife of a slave owner?  Would I have gone against the grain and not owned slaves?  Would I have been too poor to even consider owning slaves? 

I know there is a lot of cancel culture concerning this right now.  I'm not sure where I stand.  On the one hand, Slavery is Wrong.  But it was common and even very good people owned slaves.  Should it be held against them?  Yes, I believe so.  But how should it be weighed in light of the good they did?  How does that scale balance?  I have lots of thoughts to ponder after reading this book.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton -- I am still trying to figure out why this book is banned.  From what I've read, it's because it glorifies gangs/violence.  Really, though, it seemed very much like West Side Story, which has gotten a very different treatment over the years.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Anyway, I enjoyed the book.

You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be  Uncle Tom's Cabin The Outsiders

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Robin M said:

I'm currently reading Shadow Scale: A Companion to Seraphina which is quite good. Loving the unique story:  (Dragons and other fantastical creatures)

Can’t remember if I already commented but Dd loved the Seraphina books and I read the earlier ones with her.  I enjoyed them.

5 hours ago, Mama Geek said:

I am also doing Little House on the Prairie with daughter as a read aloud.  That series was one of my favorites as a kid and dd couldn't get into it when she was younger, even now she is kind of bored by it. 

Glad to see you here!  I loved the Little House books but my daughter probably only read them only so I would quit talking about them.....😉

5 hours ago, Penguin said:

he Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili: This is quite the chunkster at 944 pages. It is a multigenerational saga of a Georgian family (the country not the state). It roughly spans the 20th century, and is an excellent piece of historical fiction. Warning: there is a lot of violence including sexual violence. Written in German and translated into English, it was Longlisted for the 2020 Booker International Prize. Four stars.

I just went and looked at this book again.....It looks good and has a secret chocolate recipe storyline from the description I read.  I try to read at least one of the Booker Prize books each year and haven’t found one for this year yet.  This one is long but sounds interesting so adding it to the list.

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

This weekend I finished Monkeewrench by P. J. Tracy ; it's a mystery thriller which I enjoyed. It had a complex storyline and kept me guessing. It's the start of a ten book series which I'd like to continue. So, my libraries have books four and on but not books two and three...hmmph!

"People are dying for the new computer game by the software company Monkeewrench. Literally. With Serial Killer Detective out in limited release, the real-life murders of a jogger and a young woman have already mimicked the first two scenarios in the game.

But Grace McBride and her eccentric Monkeewrench partners are caught in a vise. If they tell the Minneapolis police of the link between their game and the murders, they'll shine a spotlight on the past they thought they had erased-and the horror they thought they'd left behind. If they don't, eighteen more people will die...'

I am going to have to try these.  Like you my library starts later in the series so becoming motivated is a problem for this series reader .  Let me know what you think after you make the jump to four as my library starts there also.   The gals in my patchwork group in England seem to really enjoy the series and copies have been passed around in the past, I just couldn’t grab the first ones without being rude.

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton -- I am still trying to figure out why this book is banned.  From what I've read, it's because it glorifies gangs/violence.  Really, though, it seemed very much like West Side Story, which has gotten a very different treatment over the years.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Anyway, I enjoyed the book.

I read this many years ago and enjoyed it.  I believe there was a movie.......not as good as the book naturally.😉  I think I actually read it for a modern/contemporary literature class ........probably the same one where I read Brave New World etc.

Welcome @Dreamergal

@marbel  You have been missed!

• Like 9

The Outsiders was one of my favorite books from high school. I in turn read it to my kids during high school, crying from time to time. I'm not sure they loved it the way I did, but they do remember it. I don't see it as glorifying gangs and violence at all, quite the opposite really. 

They always rolled their eyes so hard at me when I started crying while reading to them. I remember one time - maybe it was when I read Rascal? - where one of the kids had to take over the reading because I was blubbering so hard.

So good to be back! I hadn't realized how much I missed the varied book talk here. 

@Dreamergal, welcome!

Edited by marbel
  • Like 8

Now for what I have been reading.....

Deathless Divide   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45486444-deathless-divide which is the second book in a series where I loved the first but the second didn’t live up to expectations.  It was one of my most anticipated books for this year btw.   It was long, over 500 pages and felt extremely long winded.   Not sure if there will be more in the series or not but I am ambivalent ........It isn’t really Steampunk but because I renamed that 10x10 category Clocks and Corsets thanks to  @Robin M I decided I deserved to count it just because I was forced to read repetively how restrictive one of the character’s corset was.  There were some odd technological elements for the 1800’s just not much steam.......

Lone Wolfhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28495143-lone-wolf  Some of you may remember my disappointment in a book a couple of weeks ago that I checked out for the search and rescue dog component where the dog was barely included ......A few of us had I good time trying to find a rescue dog book for me to read and this is the first read.  I liked it.  It was a lighter suspense book somewhat similar to a Laura Griffin without the romantic element.  The second in the series happened to be $1.99 for kindle when I finished the first so I bought it.  My library only has the first.  

MI am still happily working my way through several series.  I read the second in Jana Deleon’s Miss Fortune series and still found them entertaining.  I have been working really hard on a new quilt and finished both a Kim Harrison and a Psy Changling on audio.  Next up on audio is The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes which is the prequel to the Hunger Games.   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51901147-the-ballad-of-songbirds-and-snakes?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=4mGDElPHOk&rank=1       I hope I like it. 

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

Welcome back, @marbel!

Welcome to you, @Dreamergal, and thanks for sharing your story. Parts of my childhood were spent in Australia and New Zealand, so I also read my share of Enid Blyton books. It wasn't until I reached US territory that I encountered Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and Barbara Cartland. I look forward to hearing about what you are reading currently.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

...just not much steam.......

I'm used to seeing the word steam used in a romance context ('a steamy read'), so it was funny to see that you were actually using it to refer to...uh...steam!

If I continue on in the Monkeewrench series, I'll let you know. I do think you'd like the book I read.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, marbel said:

The Outsiders was one of my favorite books from high school. I in turn read it to my kids during high school, crying from time to time. I'm not sure they loved it the way I did, but they do remember it. I don't see it as glorifying gangs and violence at all, quite the opposite really.   

I thought the same thing!  As I was reading the book, I kept thinking: Oh, I knew kids like him.  Or this character is very much like that person that I knew.

I was somewhat surprised to find out that this book was written by a young girl only because I find it well written.  I think that it is likely she wrote about her own high school experience.

BTW -- If you ever drive some of your sister's friends home to an unfamiliar part of the city, and they pull a knife out and wave it around -- not in a mean way, just in a show-offy sort of way -- they will tell your sister that you're weird if you lay rubber on the road after dropping them off. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

Kareni I can not thank you enough for M.M. Kaye recommendation. Started reading The Far Pavilions - oh what a treat for the soul.

I'd like to take the credit for the recommendation, but it's been many years since I've read any M.M. Kaye.  Perhaps Robin, Lori, aggieamy, or mumto2 deserves the credit.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have the book and it is good.  I just wish they had a video to follow with the program.  

Me too. I'm going to alternate the book with some DVDs that I have that have similar routines, as well as some YouTube videos. 

9 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

So enough with the chit chat, let me introduce myself briefly if I may.

I came from India almost 20 years ago as a student for a graduate degree in Computer Science.

The books I have read from childhood have thus been varied with both English the British and American way, but more British. My childhood books were British heavy with Enid Blyton being the biggest children's author.

Dreamergal, welcome! I loved reading your intro!

I also grew up with lots of Enid Blyton and we read some V.S. Naipaul in secondary school.

I was born in Iran, grew up in Wales, moved to Grenada (Caribbean), and went to college and grad school in the U.S. I met my husband in the U.S. We live here in Grenada now, close to my parents. We visit the U.S. about once a year or so. Reading your intro reminded me quite a bit of my own experiences. 

Anyway, welcome!

• Like 8

Welcome @Dreamergal and welcome back @marbel.

Since my last post I finished Henry V and The Eighth Life.I'm not quite ready to read the next play on my Shakespeare challenge list but when I am it will be Julius Caesar. I won't summarize The Eighth Life because @Penguin already did a good job with that. I really enjoyed it and because it was such a long book was having trouble finding something to read next.

Currently reading -

The Romanovs - This is going to be my next chunky book for that challenge. I'm slowly making progress on it.
Why Kill the Innocent - Thank you @mumto2 and @aggieamy for reminding me of this series. I'm happy to be spending time with Sebastian and Hero again.
Educated - My goal is to finish it this week. If I had the ebook I would already be done, but it's a hardcover book.
The Other Bennet Sister - See my reply to Seasider below
Plutarch's Lives - I have 53-1/2 hours left in this 83+ hour audiobook

On 7/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, Seasider too said:

I am still loaded with things-not-reading but did finish Hadlow’s The Other Bennet Sister. I enjoyed it so much! The book immediately felt like an old friend, with its familiar setting and cast of characters. Just when I was beginning to feel that the plot might be too predictable, Mary’s story took on a life of its own. The author did a wonderful job of replicating Austen’s style with language, and though I could feel the trademark commentary on unfairness in social issues, there seemed a more modern tone to it. 

Still in the mood for that sort of story, I watched the newest Emma film last night. I have to say I didn’t love it. Cinematically it was beautiful. But it seemed that the comedy was over exaggerated. Mr. Elton was a copycat of Mr. Collins. Emma’s sister was overplayed. And though Emma was spoiled and thought she was an expert at matchmaking, I never sensed she was a mean girl. This film had me wondering why Knightley would ever think highly of her apart from her good looks and social standing. I was surprised at their dance together a sensuous thing - made me think of that last “you have bewitched me” scene in the latest P&P - added to make moviegoers happy. And what’s up with the nosebleed out of nowhere? I did like Harriett & Mr Martin, they were just right.  Anyway, I am obviously going to have to read the book again and then watch my preferred Kate Beckinsale version to set my mind at ease. 😆

I also did watch Doctor Thorne, as many here recommended. I enjoyed it and have to say that Tom Hollander is now giving Martin Freeman some solid competition on my celebrity crush list. 

I wish I could figure out how to split quotes. Ever since the last board upgrade I haven't been able to do it. Anyway, as I said above I was having trouble finding something for my next read. I can't say I have a book hangover from The Eighth Life because I don't think it was that good, but it was good, and was so long with so much to think about, that just picking up another book and moving on isn't easy. I saw that my library had The Other Bennet Sister and downloaded it. So far I really like it, and I do see an Austen-esque style to the writing. 

As for the other parts of your post - I enjoyed the new Emma movie but like you I didn't love it. My favorite is still the BBC series with Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller.

I enjoyed the Doctor Thorne series as well, and was already a fan of the novel when I watched it. 

21 hours ago, marbel said:

They always rolled their eyes so hard at me when I started crying while reading to them. I remember one time - maybe it was when I read Rascal? - where one of the kids had to take over the reading because I was blubbering so hard.

When ds was homeschooling high school I gave him a required reading list but I added some where he had to choose two from each list. The Outsiders was one of his choices and he he really liked it. I wondered how well it aged and if it would resonate with a teen today (this was probably around 2015) so in my sample of one, it's still a relevant book to young people. After he read it we watched the movie, and he agreed the book was better. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I love it. Everyone is saying The Splendid and the Vile is even more amazing, but I think Isacc's Storm is his best book. 

I loved Isaac's Storm and most other Erik Larson books. The Splendid and the Vile is the only one I couldn't get into. I let it go back to the library and decided not to borrow it again.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

I would like to know some of your favorite poets and their books. 

I don't often read poetry; however, I do enjoy Billy Collins' very straightforward style.

Quoting myself:

On 6/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, Kareni said:

I read with pleasure The Apple That Astonished Paris: Poems by Billy Collins.

My favorite poem from the collection, in its entirety, is:

ETYMOLOGY

They call Basque an orphan language.
Linguists do not know
what other languages gave it birth.

From the high window of the orphanage
it watches English walking alone to the cemetery
to visit the graves of its parents,
Latin and Ango-Saxon.

Some of his poems make laugh. For example,  Victoria's Secret by Billy Collins

An old favorite by a different poet:

As a teen, one of my favorite poems was The Preacher: Ruminates behind the Sermon by Gwendolyn Brooks.

"I think it must be lonely to be God.

Nobody loves a master. No. Despite

The bright hosannas, bright dear-Lords, and bright

Determined reverence of Sunday eyes.

Picture Jehovah striding through the hall

Of his importance, creatures running out

From servant-corners to acclaim, to shout

Appreciation of His merit's gaze.

But who walks with Him?--dares to take His arm,

To slap Him on the shoulder, tweak His ear,

Buy Him a Coca-Cola or a beer,

Pooh-pooh His politics, call Him a fool?

Perhaps--who knows?--He tires of looking down.

Those eyes are never lifted. Never straight.

Perhaps sometimes He tires of being great

In solitude. Without a hand to hold."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I wish I could figure out how to split quotes.

I use a Kindle Fire, so it's possible that my method may not work for you.

When I highlight a portion of a post, I am offered the choice of:

Copy, Share, Select All, and Web Search (these all appear in a line)

I am also offered the separate option of:

Quote selection (this appears in a black bordered box)

I choose the latter option and add my commentary. I then return to the post of interest (or another post) and highlight the next portion I wish to quote and so on.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

In college I studied the poem "The Other House" by David Wagoner, so I have a fondness for it, and others of his. Not really the biggest poetry lover in general though. Sorry about the spacing; I can't fix it.

As a boy, I haunted an abandoned house

Whose basement was always full of dark-green water

Or dark-green ice in winter,

Where frogs came back to life and sang each spring.

On broken concrete under the skeleton

Of a roof, inside ribbed walls, I listened alone

Where the basement stairs went down

Under the water, down into their music.

During storms, our proper house would be flooded too.

The water would spout from drains, through the foundation

And climb the basement stairs

But silently, and would go away silently,

As silent as my father and mother were

All day and during dinner

And after and after the radio

With hardly a murmur all the way into sleep.

All winter, the frogs slept in an icy bed,

Remembering how to sing when it melted.

If I made a sound, they stopped

And listened to me sing nothing, singing nothing.

But gradually, finally April would come pouring

Out of their green throats in a green chorus

To chorus me home toward silence.

Theirs was the only home that sang all night.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

My new kindle appears to be helping keep me more focused.  It's nice that it will sync with audible so all my audible books show up and I can listen or read.  This week I went back to Elizabeth Hunter again with her Cambio Springs series.  Book 4 is her newsletter serial story this year.  She's doing a binge read right now so the series is free on kindle unlimited.

Those who have read Kate Daniels, is anyone else reading Ryder?  

I'm hanging out tonight because Spells for the Dead by Faith Hunter drops at midnight.  It's number five in the Soulwood Series.  There were no ARCs with COVID and the wait has been awful!

Welcome @Dreamergal!

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 8

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

The Mammoth Book of the Adventures of Professor Moriarty: 37 Short Stories about the Secret Life of Sherlock Holmes?s Nemesis by Maxim Jakubowski

Under Tower Peak: A Tommy Smith High Country Noir, Book One by Bart Paul, named one of the 10 Best Mysteries of 2013 by the Wall Street Journal.

Resurrection (Redemption Harbor Series Book 1) Kindle Edition by Katie Reus

This Is Crazy (This Is Series) Kindle Edition by Natasha Madison

America's Best Pies: Nearly 200 Recipes You'll Love, by American Pie Council

www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4KZ18W

• Blue Moon Soup: A Family Cookbook by Gary Goss and Jane Dyer

www.amazon.com/Blue-Moon-Soup-Family-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B00E258JUM

• Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook by Larry Edwards

www.amazon.com/Edwardian-Cooking-Unofficial-Downton-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B00I2G6XNW/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

TOP TEN TUESDAY: BOOKS FROM MY FAVOURITE GENRE

https://lifewithallthebooks.com/2019/06/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-from-my-favourite-genre/

TOP TEN TUESDAY: GHOST STORIES

http://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-ghost-stories/

WHAT TO READ IF YOU LIKED THE CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR

http://lydiaschoch.com/what-to-read-if-you-liked-the-clan-of-the-cave-bear/

TOP TEN TUESDAY: HIDDEN GEMS

https://lifewithallthebooks.com/2018/09/11/top-ten-tuesday-hidden-gems/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Hello fellow readers-

I've been following some of your reading adventures on Goodreads. I am always impressed by the variety and depth of your selections. Whereas 2019 was a terrible year for reading (due to coaching, recruiting, and focusing on certifications) this year is much different. Since I am no longer an employed coach, I have lots of time to read. I have been using the library heavily this past three months and have been happy with the curbside service being offered. I also discovered the library's Libby app. It allow me to download audiobooks for free. The selection is limited but it is keeping me in free material so I cannot complain.

I am reading three books at the moment, 2 non-fiction and 1 fiction (audiobook).

Open by Andre Agassi - As much as I love tennis and Andre, I am struggling getting into the book. I think this has to do more with my current sense of discontent with tennis than the book itself.

Come, Tell Me How You Live - by Agatha Christie - I'm loving this little autobiography despite having to translate the French and Google many of the geographical references.

Murder at the Vicarage - by Agatha Christie - I selected this one because of her autobiography and it being a free audiobook on Libby. This will be m driving and gardening book.

I recently finished I am Spock by Leonard Nimoy. It is a great book about his experiences with Star Trek and other acting and directing endeavors.  I listened to William Shatner's book about his 50 year friendship with Nimoy earlier this month and didn't really care for Shatner's take on everything. It was a bit negative and quite egotistical. After reading Nimoy's book, I am even more disheartened with Shatner. Shatner's book, published 20 years after Nimoy's and after Nimoy's death, rehashes many of the same topics published by Nimoy but in a negative way. Nimoy was actively pursuing parts in film and on stage and was leading a diverse and full life. According to Shatner, Nimoy's body of work was due to his inability to find steady contracted work on a series (like Shatner did with TJ. Hooker).  Shatner disappointed me and I would be saddened if that is how a 'friend' wrote about me after my death.

• Like 6

@Melissa M Thanks for the Theater of War mention. That looks very interesting, and I know there is an as-of-yet-undread copy of Anigone here somewhere. 

@Dreamergal Welcome! I read a lot of poetry, too. Earlier this year, I listened to Maya Angelou read her memoir I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, and found it very moving. I'd say that my taste runs toward 20th century poetry. Off the top of my head,  some of my favorite poets include June Jordan, Lucille Clifton, Wallace Stevens, Philip Levine, Rita Dove, and Linda Bierds. The Danish poets that currently interest me are Yahya Hassan, Tove Ditlevsen, and Inger Christensen. Unfortunately, I think that only Inger Christensen has been translated into English.

@Junie I recently read The Outsiders for the first time, too. It is so hard to believe that she was so young when she wrote it! Another author like that is Carson McCullers. She was only 23 when she wrote The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940), and the depth of that book is outstanding.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 7

@Dreamergal I'm not a big poetry reader though I've always wanted to be. A few years ago I read a book called Augustown by Jamaican poet and writer Kei Miller. I would not have discovered his poems if I hadn't read the novel.

Unsung

There should be a song for the man who does not sing
himself – who has lifted a woman from her bed to a wheelchair
each morning, and from a wheelchair to her bed each night;
a song for the man recognized by all the pharmacists, because
each day he has joined a line, inched forward with a prescription
for his ailing wife; there should be a song for this man
who has not sung himself; he is father to an unmarried son
and will one day witness the end of his name; still he has refused
to pass down shame to his boy. There should be a song
for the man whose life has not been the stuff of ballads
but has lived each day in incredible and untrumpeted ways.
There should be a song for my father.

The Law Concerning Mermaids

There was once a law concerning mermaids. My friend thinks it a wondrous thing — that the British Empire was so thorough it had invented a law for everything. And in this law it was decreed: were any to be found in their usual spots, showing off like dolphins, sunbathing on rocks — they would no longer belong to themselves. And maybe this is the problem with empires: how they have forced us to live in a world lacking in mermaids — mermaids who understood that they simply were, and did not need permission to exist or to be beautiful. The law concerning mermaids only caused mermaids to pass a law concerning man: that they would never again cross our boundaries of sand; never again lift their torsos up from the surf; never again wave at sailors, salt dripping from their curls; would never again enter our dry and stifling world.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I'm hanging out tonight because Spells for the Dead by Faith Hunter drops at midnight.  It's number five in the Soulwood Series.  There were no ARCs with COVID and the wait has been awful!

I didn’t know about Ryder so I will try and catch up this week!😁Thanks.........

I still need to reread Circle of the Moon in my  Faith Hunter reread........looking forward to hearing about what you think of Spells of the Dead.

• Like 5

On 7/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, Mama Geek said:

I tried LHotP years and years ago with DD and she had no interest. Then I tried with DS recently and he didn't like it. I even tried skipping ahead to Farmer Boy and still they didn't like it. I was so bummed because I adored those books as a kid. I bet I read Farmer Boy a dozen times. *sigh* Parenting is tough. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts, all from reddit ~

Suggest me an interesting non-fiction book!

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hof46p/suggest_me_an_interesting_nonfiction_book/

Any modern books like Agatha Christie's Poirot?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hp4f0a/any_modern_books_like_agatha_christies_poirot/

Books with a modern take on greek mythology

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hqz5jj/books_with_a_modern_take_on_greek_mythology 

[From a 13 year old] Can I get a book recommendation?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/hqxlt8/can_i_get_a_book_recommendation/

Regards,

Kareni

Queen of the Lists! The list on modern books reading like AC is great.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dreamergal said:

Hallo ladies ! 

I am here because of an invite from @Violet Crown and so many of you who assured me that a current reader of twaddle is more than welcome on a BAW thread in a homeschool board. So thank you for that. 

Hello and welcome! So glad you are here. 

18 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

The Law Concerning Mermaids

There was once a law concerning mermaids. My friend thinks it a wondrous thing — that the British Empire was so thorough it had invented a law for everything. And in this law it was decreed: were any to be found in their usual spots, showing off like dolphins, sunbathing on rocks — they would no longer belong to themselves. And maybe this is the problem with empires: how they have forced us to live in a world lacking in mermaids — mermaids who understood that they simply were, and did not need permission to exist or to be beautiful. The law concerning mermaids only caused mermaids to pass a law concerning man: that they would never again cross our boundaries of sand; never again lift their torsos up from the surf; never again wave at sailors, salt dripping from their curls; would never again enter our dry and stifling world.

I remember when you posted this a few years ago and we had the most civil disagreement ever on it! I can never seem to find old threads but I think your argument was that the poem illustrated how the British Empire repressed society and I agreed but said that's what made them lovable in the same way that Snape was so interesting. And we went back and forth in the most respectful way possible between friends. Do you remember? Please jump in and correct me if I'm a fool and remember it all wrong!

• Like 7

I'm slowly wading through a few books that have only moderately caught my attention.

A book on WWI poems because once a year I think that I need to be the type of person who reads and loves WWI poetry.

A Georgette Heyer that I'm kind of hating. Not kidding. I think I'm actively disliking it. It's an audiobook so I'm going to listen at 1.7 speed and see if it gets better. I'll confess the title here when I finish it. 

And a few other books on my kindle that are so unexciting to me I can't even recall the titles right now. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I was going through some non-fiction on shelf for things for ds, and found a great book on Architecture from when we had dabbled in TOG. I started glossing through it and got sucked in, and I'm not quite sure how, but it made me pull out The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet- a book I started and never could get in to. So now I'm reading that as my Kindle read. 

FWIW I really like Pillars of the Earth.  Somewhat funny story ......when my kids were still smallish(Ds was around 10) and just starting their bell ringing careers we visited the church in James Herriot’s actual hometown Thirsk and had a long conversation with a really enthusiastic rather elderly  docent at the church regarding all things bells and church construction.  After a long conversation he recommended my kids read Pillars because a Cathedral is built.......he learned so much etc. So I go home and do a request for Pillars which I wasn’t sure I was familiar with.  I receive a 1000 page chunkster that includes a rather brutal r*pe scene that overshadows the entire book.😳  This lovely man seriously recommended the book for my kids 😂..........it’s a good thing I preread everything at that point!

@Dreamergal My family is currently back living in the US while my kids attend grad school but we lived in England for most of my children’s childhood.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

FWIW I really like Pillars of the Earth.  Somewhat funny story ......when my kids were still smallish(Ds was around 10) and just starting their bell ringing careers we visited the church in James Herriot’s actual hometown Thirsk and had a long conversation with a really enthusiastic rather elderly  docent at the church regarding all things bells and church construction.  After a long conversation he recommended my kids read Pillars because a Cathedral is built.......he learned so much etc. So I go home and do a request for Pillars which I wasn’t sure I was familiar with.  I receive a 1000 page chunkster that includes a rather brutal r*pe scene that overshadows the entire book.😳  This lovely man seriously recommended the book for my kids 😂..........it’s a good thing I preread everything at that point!

@Dreamergal My family is currently back living in the US while my kids attend grad school but we lived in England for most of my children’s childhood.

Whoa. Worst read aloud recommendation ever!

• Like 5

On 7/26/2020 at 7:00 PM, SereneHome said:

@Kareni I can not thank you enough for M.M. Kaye recommendation. Started reading The Far Pavilions - oh what a treat for the soul.

M.M. Kaye is  our July Ladies of Fiction  author of the month. So glad you are enjoying Far Pavilions.  I'm about to dive back into it.  

• Like 5

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes by Vincent Starrett

"In a boarding house at 221B Baker Street, a genius is at work. With the help of his tireless companion, Dr. Watson, the peerless Sherlock Holmes solves one impossible mystery after the next. Many of his adventures, such as “The Hound of the Baskervilles” and “The Red-Headed League,” are world famous, while others, including “The Adventure of the Tired Captain” and “The Singular Affair of the Aluminum Crutch,” remain strictly private, simply because Watson cannot find the time to write them down.

This glimpse into the secret case files of England’s greatest detective is just one of the fascinating tidbits included in Vincent Starrett’s landmark book of Sherlockiana. A founding member of the Baker Street Irregulars, Starrett enriches his meticulous research with a true fan’s delight. Whether he is discussing Arthur Conan Doyle’s real-life criminal investigations or detailing the layout of 221B Baker Street and its surrounding neighborhood, Starrett’s deep appreciation for the stories and their inimitable hero is infectious. Countless companion volumes to the series have been published, but none offers as much insight and entertainment as The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes does."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

On 7/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, Mama Geek said:

Hi Mama Geek. Welcome.  I thoroughly enjoyed the stories when I was little, but when I tried doing a read along with my son, he hated Little House. 

On 7/26/2020 at 10:36 AM, Penguin said:

Yahya Hassan 2 by Yahya Hassan. I think that Yahya Hassan, who tragically died in April at age 24, was one of the most important voices in contemporary Danish literature. His parents were Palestinian refugees, and he grew up in what is sometimes called the parallel society in Denmark. This volume of poems was published late in 2019. Before his death, the book was nominated for the Nordic Council Literature Prize, and perhaps he will be awarded it posthumously. Here is a good article about his life and his work. I will no doubt be returning regularly to both of his poetry books. Five stars.

I enjoyed learning about Yahya. Thank you for linking the article. It lead me to watching one of his interviews  about his Poems of Rage. He was an interesting young man.

• Like 6

On 7/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, Melissa M said:

The Sorrows of Young Werther (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe; 1774. Trans. Elizabeth Mayer and Louise Bogan; 1990. Fiction.)
Yes, he’s troubled and self-absorbed, but I don’t belong to the reading club that maintains we must like the protagonist to like the book. I will say, though, that I am old enough to have wanted to be “quite severe” with Werther, to insist that he get a grip and meet a few more suitable companions. Heh, heh, heh.

Yep, I've read books like that in which you just want to shake some sense into them. 

On 7/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, Negin said:

Awesome. Something I should probably start doing myself.  Thanks for the recommendation.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, marbel said:

Jumping back in after a long absence! 

Yeah! Hi, we've missed you. Glad you are jumping back in.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, Kareni said:

The second paragraph on the first page had me laughing so hard my son became curious. He didn't think it was funny.  Oh well.  Adding it to my ebook stack.  Thank you for all the great links as well.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:36 PM, Dreamergal said:

So that is who I am in a nutshell. Lover of books so much that when I came here I brought half a suitcase full of books when I had to move countries with all that was important to me in 2 suitcases.  I have a lot of unknown American authors or those I did not connect with like Hemmingway. So would like to learn more about them and books to read. Sorry this turned out to be an essay. Looking forward to learning from you and also sharing. 

Welcome Dreamergal!  What a wonderful introduction.  So happy you decided to join us. 

• Like 8

On 7/26/2020 at 4:35 PM, mumto2 said:

It isn’t really Steampunk but because I renamed that 10x10 category Clocks and Corsets thanks to  @Robin M I decided I deserved to count it just because I was forced to read repetively how restrictive one of the character’s corset was.  There were some odd technological elements for the 1800’s just not much steam.......

LOL!  Those darn corsets.  

21 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Rupi Kaur though is someone who has lived my experiences and speaks words that I can identify with and that is extremely rare for me. If I may, I would like to provide a small glimpse. 

"i am the first woman in my lineage with freedom of choice.
to craft her future whichever way i choose. say what is on my mind when i want to. without the whip of the lash.
there are hundreds of firsts i am thankful for. that my mother and her mother and her mother did not have the privilege of feeling.
what an honor. to be the first woman in the family who gets to taste her desires.
no wonder i am starving to fill up on this life.
i have generations of bellies to eat for.
the grandmothers must be howling with laughters.
huddled around a mud stove in the afterlife.
sipping on steaming glasses of milky masala chai.
how wild it must be for them to see one of their own living so boldly." ~

This is from 'The Sun and Her flowers' (https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Her-Flowers-Rupi-Kaur/dp/1449486797)

I would like to know some of your favorite poets and their books. 

Wow, very powerful!     The poet I lean towards the most is Robert Frost.  Otherwise I randomly stick my toes in here and there.   For some reason before I start writing Sunday's posts I turn to the literary birthday's list and look up who is having birthdays that week.  There's always a poet or two or three on the list which leads to me following rabbit trails and reading the their poems.  The different poets always give me something to think about, sometimes wondering what was in their head that day.  Hmm! An epiphany.  They provide inspiration and get me in the mood to write.   

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Kareni said:

I don't often read poetry; however, I do enjoy Billy Collins' very straightforward style.

Yes, me too! 

20 hours ago, Kareni said:

An old favorite by a different poet:

As a teen, one of my favorite poems was The Preacher: Ruminates behind the Sermon by Gwendolyn Brooks.

Love it, thank you!

22 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I wish I could figure out how to split quotes

Highlight a section of text and the quote selection button should pop up. Sometimes have the highlight twice because it doesn't take the first time.

20 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am not much of a poetry lover, and have nothing unique to claim as a favorite. I think Blake and Percy Bysshe Shelley are my top two, which is a shame as Shelley was definitely a schmuck. But Ozymandias is probably one of my favorite poems, and I can't deny that I love his stuff- schmuck or not.

Yes, Ozymandias. I don't know what it is, but I get something different out of it each time. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, marbel said:

In college I studied the poem "The Other House" by David Wagoner, so I have a fondness for it, and others of his.

Wonderful poem. I can hear the frogs singing.

17 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I'm hanging out tonight because Spells for the Dead by Faith Hunter drops at midnight.

I hadn't heard about Ryder. Just looked at the website. Will it be put out in book form or just on her sit?    I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my copy of Spells of the Dead. tick, tock, tick, tock. 

@Kareni   Thank you for all the book links - so much fun following the links, adding to my want list,  and then getting caught up in rabbit trails.  My entertainment for the day.

5 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I recently finished I am Spock by Leonard Nimoy. It is a great book about his experiences with Star Trek and other acting and directing endeavors.  I listened to William Shatner's book about his 50 year friendship with Nimoy earlier this month and didn't really care for Shatner's take on everything. It was a bit negative and quite egotistical. After reading Nimoy's book, I am even more disheartened with Shatner. Shatner's book, published 20 years after Nimoy's and after Nimoy's death, rehashes many of the same topics published by Nimoy but in a negative way. Nimoy was actively pursuing parts in film and on stage and was leading a diverse and full life. According to Shatner, Nimoy's body of work was due to his inability to find steady contracted work on a series (like Shatner did with TJ. Hooker).  Shatner disappointed me and I would be saddened if that is how a 'friend' wrote about me after my death.

I'm sorry about Shatner but he always did strike me as being a bit arrogant.  I'll be sure to check out I am Spock. 

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

A few years ago I read a book called Augustown by Jamaican poet and writer Kei Miller. I would not have discovered his poems if I hadn't read the novel.

Beautiful examples! 

4 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I remember when you posted this a few years ago and we had the most civil disagreement ever on it! I can never seem to find old threads but I think your argument was that the poem illustrated how the British Empire repressed society and I agreed but said that's what made them lovable in the same way that Snape was so interesting. And we went back and forth in the most respectful way possible between friends. Do you remember? Please jump in and correct me if I'm a fool and remember it all wrong!

What an intriguing comparison.  Lately James and I have been watching you tube videos about Harry Potter theory and they are currently analyzing Snape.  Quite enjoyable and leading to much conversation. 

And a few other books on my kindle that are so unexciting to me I can't even recall the titles right now. 

That bad, eh?   I know just what you mean though, because I'll read a few pages and move on.  I probably should turn the darn thing off and concentrate on a physical book.   The Wind Whales of Ismael by Philip Jose Farmer finally captured my attention though.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

I have a vague memory of that but I don't know if I was the one who originally posted the poem. I found out about the book and author from another BaWer. But yes, I do remember it being a respectful disagreement.

• Like 7

Started reading The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes. Was going to wait, bc I am already reading two other  books, but evidently I have to return to the library sooner than I thought. So far I really like it. Never knew about this topic, so find it very interesting (don't want to give spoilers)

• Like 7

10 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Started reading The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes. Was going to wait, bc I am already reading two other  books, but evidently I have to return to the library sooner than I thought. So far I really like it. Never knew about this topic, so find it very interesting (don't want to give spoilers)

I am listening to it as an audiobook.  Enjoying it.

• Like 7