Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW30: Musing on Miscellany

Robin M

I mentioned Ryder by Ilona Andrews, but if you haven't started you may not want to.  It was announced today that they won't be able to continue posting the serial.  Publishing is really messed up with COVID and they will have to have things wrapped up on a different schedule in order to get the third Catalina book completed for next year. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Hugo Award winners have been announced.  I  haven't read A Memory Called Empire, Nor Gideon the Ninth. Both look intriguing.  I loved The Ten Thousand Doors of January. The City in the Middle of the Night not so much. Have Middlegame in my stacks waiting and The Light Brigade looks promising. 

I loved A Memory Called Empire, and Ten Thousand Doors as well - gave 'em both 5 stars, and I try to be stingy with those.  Haven't read the others yet, but The Light Brigade is what our SciFi book club is reading this month - it's sitting here waiting for me to get to it.  And actually Gideon the Ninth as well, but in these times where I can't seem to read as much as I usually do, I'm picking one...  I punted on Middlegame last month, in favor of Ten Thousand Doors...

• Like 3

On 7/30/2020 at 11:25 AM, Dreamergal said:

I look for that from around the world. Things like Bedouin, Mongol poetry which is mostly spoken word. The Unesco website is a good resource for that.

http://www.unesco.org/archives/multimedia/subjec

t/13/Intangible+heritage

Thank you for the link. I could spend hours exploring. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, Matryoshka said:

Hi, dipping my toe back in after not posting for a long time.  

Waving Hi! We've missed you.   

• Like 3

On 7/31/2020 at 1:11 PM, mumto2 said:

I almost asked you to send a Soulwood extra my way then realized if you can’t see it I probably can’t either. 😂  It popped up on my Overdrive yesterday after you posted and I am third on the list so my wait won’t be long!

Yay!  Glad you'll be able to read it soon. Thank goodness for ereaders or I'd be buying stronger glasses.  I bought my technician a new jeweler's loupe with higher magnification  for close up work and suddenly his input when up 50%. He wouldn't admit he was having a hard time seeing through his old loupe until I used it and couldn't see a thing, it was so scratched and cloudy.  He still doesn't see the correlation.  Stubborn man. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

A few lists for you. (There is overlap, but each list also has unique choices.)

One

Two

Three

Regards

Kareni

Awesome Links.  I've had Circe in my stacks for a couple years now and haven't gotten around to reading it.  All those books look so good I think I better read Circe soon, rather than adding more to my stacks yet.  Hee! Thanks! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1