Menu

Your favorite non-dairy coffee cream

StaceyinLA

I’m pretty darn picky about my coffee. I love it with grass-fed heavy cream. Problem is, I’m pretty sure I need to get completely off dairy. I typically have phlegm and mucous (sorry) within 30 minutes or so after my coffee. I’m gonna try getting completely off and using cream with A2 protein instead of A1, just to see if that helps, but my only source for that isn’t one where I can always have it.

So, what has been your favorite creamer to replace dairy creamer? I really want it to be clean - not a fan of thickeners and oils in my creamer. I haven’t loved most nut milks because they just aren’t creamy enough, but I’m open to suggestions. I had a coffee routine when I did Whole 30 that I can do in a pinch, but I’d rather something a little less complicated, so am hoping to find a cream solution. Black coffee just does not work for me.

I have an espresso machine, so something that froths nicely would be a bonus, although I can do a lungo and make my cup more like a regular coffee.

Just hoping for some ideas - thanks.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I posted similar awhile back.  Unfortunately I am not thrilled with any options I tried. Least bad seemed to me to be a powdered coconut milk or MCT powder, which I could do very thick...

what was your complicated Whole 30 routine? 

19 minutes ago, Pen said:

I posted similar awhile back.  Unfortunately I am not thrilled with any options I tried. Least bad seemed to me to be a powdered coconut milk or MCT powder, which I could do very thick...

what was your complicated Whole 30 routine? 

It’s not even that it’s THAT complicated, but just more than I want to do first thing in the morning. I did this cashew coffee, where you blend hot coffee with raw cashews, a little course salt and honey (I used a couple dates in place of the honey when I was doing Whole 30). It actually makes a pretty tasty coffee, and the cashews froth up nicely. You can put collagen peptides in there too to make it creamier, if that’s something you use. It’s just that you have to brew the coffee, then dirty up the blender, make lots of noise (inconvenient if others are still asleep), etc.

What options did you try and not like?

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

It’s not even that it’s THAT complicated, but just more than I want to do first thing in the morning. I did this cashew coffee, where you blend hot coffee with raw cashews, a little course salt and honey (I used a couple dates in place of the honey when I was doing Whole 30). It actually makes a pretty tasty coffee, and the cashews froth up nicely. You can put collagen peptides in there too to make it creamier, if that’s something you use. It’s just that you have to brew the coffee, then dirty up the blender, make lots of noise (inconvenient if others are still asleep), etc.

What options did you try and not like?

Several barista blends which at least didn’t turn into a curdle-like mess, but I didn’t really like them much.  Least negative of those was a barista hemp milk by Pacific Foods iirc, but hard to get it . 

Califa Oat Milk barista blend. Other brands work too but I do have a slight preference to the Califa one. 

I am the type of person that LOVES just a dash of coffee with my whole milk, lol. But my friend convinced me to go buy the stuff above and try it. IDK even why I did it, more to humor them. I am shocked how much I like it in my coffee. To the point where I have 4 in my pantry because the one time I ran out I was actually sad. Also have tried whatever the local Safeway carries, it's ok, but did stock up the next time I was at a store that carries Califa.

So, while I am "allowed" to use whole milk in my coffee and have no reason not to, I am actively choosing the oat milk! Craziness!

Edited by Moonhawk

Someone here recommended oat milk for coffee, and I'm amazed at how good it is!  It completely satisfies my coffee with cream/whole milk craving.  I've tried regular oat milk, or barista blend oat milk, and definitely barista blend is the way to go.  I've been getting the Oatly brand barista oat milk and have liked it, although I haven't tried any other.  One thing about oat milk compared to others is that it doesn't have a strong flavor, so it really just adds that nice creamy flavor...  But a flavor of nothing in particular.  Not like coconut milk or almond milk or others.  I prefer the more neutral creamy flavor of oat milk for my coffee.

• Like 1

These are my favorites. I've used the Silk soy creamer (plain, not vanilla) as half and half in mashed potatoes. 

https://silk.com/plant-based-products/creamer/original-soy-creamer/

This is my favorite sweetened creamer. 

https://silk.com/plant-based-products/creamer/sweet-and-creamy-almond-creamer/

I've bought these when I want to take creamer with me somewhere. 

https://silk.com/plant-based-products/shelf-stable/shelf-stable-very-vanilla-soymilk/

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

I like coconut milk from a can, though it's a little pricey. I've never tried frothing it, but I imagine it would work.

This is my favorite as well. I use Thai coconut milk and love the flavor (TJ's sells a coconut cream as well which is delicious).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Selkie said:

Have you tried the plant-based creamers by Elmhurst? A lot of people rave about them.

I don't use creamer, but I love Elmhurst hazelnut or cashew milk in my coffee. They don't contain any fillers or weird ingredients - it's just nuts and water. 

https://elmhurst1925.com

I actually use these milks fairly often, but I don’t like them at all in my coffee - too watery. I guess being used to heavy cream it makes it difficult to use the more watery milks.

Edited by StaceyinLA

15 hours ago, lmrich said:

Califia farms - blend of almond and coconut milks - so creamy. Not cheap but if you have to go dairy free - welcome to the not cheap world!

The heavy cream I buy isn’t cheap either, so that’s not an issue. I feel like the Califia has thickeners and fillers though - seems like I looked at that.

10 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Califa Oat Milk barista blend. Other brands work too but I do have a slight preference to the Califa one. 

I am the type of person that LOVES just a dash of coffee with my whole milk, lol. But my friend convinced me to go buy the stuff above and try it. IDK even why I did it, more to humor them. I am shocked how much I like it in my coffee. To the point where I have 4 in my pantry because the one time I ran out I was actually sad. Also have tried whatever the local Safeway carries, it's ok, but did stock up the next time I was at a store that carries Califa.

So, while I am "allowed" to use whole milk in my coffee and have no reason not to, I am actively choosing the oat milk! Craziness!

What do the ingredients look like?

15 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

This! The only healthy non-dairy creamer I've tasted that is actually creamy. Coconut and almond milk are the main ingredients. Yum.

Screenshot_20200531-144522.png

My daughter swears by these, but I have not been able to make myself like them. Maybe I need to give them another shot. I don’t particularly LOVE the ingredients, but I know they are cleaner than a lot of others.

26 minutes ago, KatieinMich said:

Have you heard of Laird products? 

FLAVCITY guy says they are the best. Amazon carries them and some Costco’s.

I have not tried them. 

Laird products are great! I haven’t tried their creamers, but I put a spoonful of their Performance Mushrooms powder in my smoothies. Their hot chocolate mix with mushrooms is really good!

You can also order from their site www.LairdSuperfood.com

I believe they ship from Hawaii, but it’s super fast. I always receive my orders here in the Midwest within a few days of ordering.

Edited by Selkie