Menu

would you use satin paint for a kid-friendly entryway & hallway?

caedmyn

We're having our entryway and a connected hallway redone and I'm not sure what paint finish I should ask for.  The same contractor did our living room with semi-gloss paint after I said I wanted washable paint, and it is definitely too shiny.  I wish I knew what finish was in our hallway currently, because it washes ok and has a little shine but not too much, but I don't know.  Is satin too shiny also for walls, or would it be a good balance between shine and washable-ness?

I agree that semi-gloss is too shiny for most walls, with the exception of a bathroom.

The difference between eggshell and satin is minimal, and will vary from brand to brand. In my experience, most paints come with one or the other option, but not both.

If the hallway doesn't have any windows, you'll be fine with either one (lots of light equals lots of reflection).  If your kids are prone to running their dirty paws down the walls as they walk, you need something that's highly scrubbable. The paint salesperson should be able to direct you to their best product for your needs.

• Like 1

I had my walls painted in satin but to be honest, with 6 kids and the amount of dirt, marks, mess left on the wall was incredible.  I painted everything but the ceilings in semi-gloss.  The scrubability is amazing.  I value clean walls far more than I worry about shine and honestly after a little while you don't really notice the shine anymore (but the dirt always bugged me). I honestly can't imagine using anything less than satin with young kids.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Islandgal said:

I suggest Benjamin Moore semi gloss.

We're painting our whole house in semi-gloss. That's what our realtor told us we should do. I don't know if that's because it's what's popular now, or it just makes the walls look cleaner. Either way we followed her instructions because she's good at getting houses sold fast. 

Of course OP, you're not asking about painting to sell so take my post fwiw.