Menu

Fires in Australia

Innisfree

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

It depends where you are. 

For example, Canberra (the capital) was only yesterday impacted by fire, but was on 'shut down' for a while because of smoke. Surgeons reporting their operating rooms being smoke affected, university campus shut down, post shut down etc.

There's been an increased demand on medical services.

Some schools have burned down; before Christmas, many schools were keeping kids in all day because of the air quality. Other schools are affected by fire warning statuses.

I don't know about food. Haven't heard anything. I'd imagine it's localised to fire affected areas.

There's a water problem most places. We're on water restrictions at the moment.  Some places have run out of water and have had to truck it in. There have been worries about pollution of drinking water in dams, not sure how's that's played out.

That is really rough. So much devastation in many areas. It's going to take a long time to recover for all this, obviously.  What kind of international aid have you been receiving?

And now there is an outbreak of a new, fatal Coronavirus originating in China. Not good at all for Australia, with so many people physically fragile from the fires, smoke and air quality. 

Praying for you all!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way food is affected is because so many roads are closed. I live in an area where there are lots of dairy farms. The trucks could not get in to pick up the milk, so the farmers had to dump all the milk. Some of these farmers also had part of their farm pastures burn.

a town a little ways away has  major vegetable growing and processing. They didn’t have fire directly impact their farms but because the highway is still closed, they have to drive trucks many many extra 100’s of km through Melbourne to get to the Sydney distributors 

some towns near me have been completely isolated for 3 weeks. Chinook helicopters have been dropping in food

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Water is a huge problem as so many people in my area have tank water they collect from rain. As we have been in a big drought most people were being very careful with their water, until the threat of fires, then everyone hosed their houses down before the approaching fire fronts. Many people now have empty water tanks, and as there has been so much smoke we couldn’t collect the rain from a few days ago as it was contaminated.

We personally have water, but I know many who don’t. Some big supermarkets have donated slabs of water for drinking and there are distribution centres . The local council is giving a small amount of water to people that have no water left at all a charity is paying for the transport. This of course is only good if there are opened roads to your location. Some areas are going to be isolated for up to a month  as there have been bridges damaged and there is still a lot of fire burning.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Flights in and out of Canberra currently grounded due to ACT fires and contact has been lost with an air tanker in NSW

just when it feels like things were starting to get better 

the C130 Hercules large water boomer has been confirmed as crashed. apparently the plane in not intact. the area is extremely rugged and will take time for rescuers to get there.  visibility is very low, winds gusts of up to 100 km hour

edited to add   All 3 people in the plane have died

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Sad 12

28 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

the C130 Hercules large water boomer has been confirmed as crashed. apparently the plane in not intact. the area is extremely rugged and will take time for rescuers to get there.  visibility is very low, winds gusts of up to 100 km hour

So tragic.  I feel for the families and friends of them all.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Local news just reported https://abc7news.com/3-us-firefighters-killed-in-plane-crash-while-battling-wildfires-in-australia-officials-say/5872291/

SYDNEY -- Three Americans were killed when a C-130 Hercules aerial water tanker crashed while battling wildfires in the Snowy Monaro region of Australia's southern New South Wales state.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed the deaths and crash in comments to reporters as Australia attempts to deal with an unprecedented fire season that has left a large swath of destruction.

Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says all three aboard were U.S. residents”

• Sad 3

I heard about a small koala refuge that is run by volunteers and uses 100% of donated funds for the animals. I don’t have time to look it up now but will try find out later in the day for you.

Do not send anything to the Australia Red Cross. They have openly stated yesterday that they are keeping 30%. Plus they have stated that they will be keeping a large % for future disasters.  They pulled the same stunt for the Indonesian tsunami and it didn’t go down well then either.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I heard about a small koala refuge that is run by volunteers and uses 100% of donated funds for the animals. I don’t have time to look it up now but will try find out later in the day for you.

Do not send anything to the Australia Red Cross. They have openly stated yesterday that they are keeping 30%. Plus they have stated that they will be keeping a large % for future disasters.  They pulled the same stunt for the Indonesian tsunami and it didn’t go down well then either.

People are not happy.  There was a lot of encouragement to donate to them rather than the millions of go fund me accounts because of scammers so it’s pretty disappointing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

Ignore this if you hate whining, lol

It was so hot here yesterday, and remained so hot and humid all night, and today I can't cool the house down because I can't open anything - the air is full of smoke and dust. I've run out of meds and I'm checking the air quality like every half hour, waiting for it to drop to at least 'moderate' so I can go out and get my drugs! Ugh.

That's awful!!! I'm sorry this is happening to you all.😭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

Ignore this if you hate whining, lol

It was so hot here yesterday, and remained so hot and humid all night, and today I can't cool the house down because I can't open anything - the air is full of smoke and dust. I've run out of meds and I'm checking the air quality like every half hour, waiting for it to drop to at least 'moderate' so I can go out and get my drugs! Ugh.

So frustrating!  Hope the air quality improves soon

I kept my donations directly to RFS and also to the families of the killed firefighters (organised through the RFS), because I felt that local (well, state-wide) was better.

I do wonder, however, given we are going to have increasingly lengthy and severe fire seasons if the RC keeping some donations back might not be a way to combat the inevitable giving fatigue that will emerge. People's homes will burn down both later this season, and next and subsequent seasons/

If anyone hears of fundraisers for the families of the American firefighters killed in the Snowys, please post here as I'd like to donate.

Yeah I understand that feeling that while people are donating which is happening generously right now wanting to put some aside.  But I get the feeling there are significant needs not being taken care of.

• Like 2

I do wonder, however, given we are going to have increasingly lengthy and severe fire seasons if the RC keeping some donations back might not be a way to combat the inevitable giving fatigue that will emerge. People's homes will burn down both later this season, and next and subsequent seasons/

Yeah... the Red Cross is a mixed bag. Sometimes they mismanage funds for sure, but it’s part of their mission to be able to respond fast and that takes money on hand which means keeping some when the donations pour in. Keeping a fund for the inevitable future fires doesn’t automatically turn me off. Just like it doesn’t turn me off to hear that an organization spends money on overhead as well as their mission. I believe places should pay their staff. Good workers and organization means better work on the ground. Of course, not always, but I’m not shocked that the Red Cross is holding part of the funds.

• Like 3

Yeah, the Red Cross is so big and bureaucratic that I feel like the share going to admin would be bigger than necessary.  I don't mind if they save some for the future in order to be able to react quickly.  Presumably they used supplies collected in the past to help the people in this crisis.

My kids want to give for the animals.  Personally I normally give for humans.  So I would like to know both kinds of trusted charities if you don't mind.

I hope things cool down soon over there.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SKL said:

My girls want to send some of their Christmas money to help the animals.  Which is the best organization to send it to?

I could not find a spot to donate for the Koala shelter that I heard about on the radio. I did find a link to their facebook page Raymond Island Koala & Wildlife Shelter Inc.  https://www.facebook.com/KoalaShelter/   I don't do Facebook 

I did find this list though  

Donate to help animals affected by bushfires

• Like 3

Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund    this one is local to my shire area. It gives 100 percent to affected community members

Donate to charities that support bushfire affected communities

Donate to State Government and Local Council appeals

• Like 2

I gather it’s supposed to be getting better, but in news about Australia Day when I see distance shots, like across water of harbor it looks super hazy still — which I would think is smoke and pollution, not some nice clean water vapor.

I hope you Aussies are doing okay.  

I believe there are still  more than 150 out of control fires in Victoria and NSW. It is not getting better, just media attention is on the next thing.

We still have more than a month of summer, and February is traditionally the worst month for bushfires.  March is still very warm, and they are predicting these fires will burn through all of autumn unless we get substantial rain. The long term weather forecast is predicting the drought is going to continue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yeah.  At least this time round it’s February so you expect some heat here.  But definitely hoping for an earlier rather than a later end to it this year.

We were out near Menindee last week. Some of the land around there looks like it will never come back to life. It was... odd... how many different kinds of dead as a doornail landscapes there were to see.

36 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

We were out near Menindee last week. Some of the land around there looks like it will never come back to life. It was... odd... how many different kinds of dead as a doornail landscapes there were to see.

Dh had to go out that way for work late last year.  He was pretty shocked and I imagine it has only gotten worse since then.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Dh had to go out that way for work late last year.  He was pretty shocked and I imagine it has only gotten worse since then.

The empty lake looked lush in comparison to some of what we saw driving the backroads through the cattle farms.

On 1/27/2020 at 7:40 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

I believe there are still  more than 150 out of control fires in Victoria and NSW. It is not getting better, just media attention is on the next thing.

We still have more than a month of summer, and February is traditionally the worst month for bushfires.  March is still very warm, and they are predicting these fires will burn through all of autumn unless we get substantial rain. The long term weather forecast is predicting the drought is going to continue.

Hope you’re all safe tonight and stay safe tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

safe atm.  Tomorrow is meant to be the higher fire danger day. The saving grace is that there is not meant to be strong winds

There is an emergency level fire warning for where my ds25 works from.  A fast moving fire is about to impact Bendoc.https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/# I just contacted him and he is on his rest day and not in the area. Glad to know he is safe.  He said to me he had just spoke to his workmates and they said  " that fire is burning hard"

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/australia-bushfires-canberra-state-of-emergency-12372888

“SYDNEY: Australian officials declared a state of emergency for the capital city of Canberra and surrounding regions on Friday (Jan 31), as soaring temperatures and strong winds threatened to propel a large bushfire beyond the control of firefighters.

Andrew Barr, Chief Minister for the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), said the decision to declare the first state of emergency since fatal wildfires in 2003 indicated the potential danger over the weekend.

Officials said an uncontrolled fire in the ACT's south, on the doorstep of Canberra, had grown to 185 sq km, almost 8 per cent of the territory's land mass.

"This fire may become very unpredictable. It may become uncontrollable," Barr told reporters in a televised briefing. "The combination of extreme heat, wind, and a dry landscape will place suburbs in Canberra's south at risk."

Australia's federal parliament is located in Canberra, which is also home to several government and independent institutions as well as national museums. Four people died and almost 500 homes were destroyed in the 2003 Canberra fires.

The state of emergency declared on Friday will run for 72 hours, giving authorities greater powers to order evacuations, close roads and take control of private property.

Heatwave conditions are also expected to sweep through Victoria and New South Wales states over the weekend, where some 80 fires are burning.

In neighbouring New Zealand, where smoke from the Australian blazes has turned glaciers brown, firefighters were battling to contain around 25 fires that spread rapidly to cover around 100 hectares on the South Island. Heatwave conditions were also forecast for much of the country over the weekend.

Australia has been battling bushfires across its east coast that have killed 33 people and an estimated 1 billion native animals since September. Around 2,500 homes have been destroyed as more than 11.7 million hectares have been razed.

Key events on Friday in the bushfire crisis:

• There were 58 active fires in NSW state, 20 in Victoria and 22 in South Australia.
  • Temperatures across NSW and Victoria states were forecast to reach 40 degrees Celsius on Friday.
  • The Australian Energy Market Operator, attempting to prevent supply shortages, urged people in Victoria to restrict energy use on Friday evening when demand is expected to peak because of unusually high humidity.
  • Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who critics say has not done enough to address the impact of climate change, on Friday pledged funding for emissions reduction projects as part of a A$2 billion (US$1.37 billion) package to increase gas supplies in NSW”
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 12:19 AM, StellaM said:

Well, God sent giant hail to both Canberra and the Shire, as a message to ScoMo to get off his butt and do something meaningful. Which he didn't.

I'd really hate to think it took burning half of Canberra to get him to listen.

Friends of ours lost their house in the Canberra 2003 fires, and they are very jumpy right now.

Sorry you are facing added stress due to political lack-of-practical help.  I do love the term "ScoMo" for your PM.  We should adopt something similar in Canada. I like the look of JuTru. 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

Secondly, the issue with conducting controlled burns out of fire season, is that fire season has become extended - the number of cool weather months at low risk of fire, during which fuel load can be reduced via controlled burns, is shrinking.

And in a lot of places, that work has to be done by volunteers. If you have any...

6 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

And in a lot of places, that work has to be done by volunteers. If you have any...

Forestry budgets etc are so low and rely on a lot of summer subcontractors rather than having year down staff according to forestry people here.  They used to have a bigger permanent staff but not anymore.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:46 PM, wintermom said:

Sorry you are facing added stress due to political lack-of-practical help.  I do love the term "ScoMo" for your PM.  We should adopt something similar in Canada. I like the look of JuTru. 😂 

We already have BoJo, but it's not used that much.....

• Like 1