Menu

Calling ALL women who have BRILLIANT husbands....

ok, DH is BRILLIANT. He qualifies for Mensa, is an engineer turned manager, competed in chess tournaments, teaches calculus to engineers who need refresher courses. He LOVES details, the more, the merrier. His hobbies are daytrading and running a farm. The farm piece is because he's married to me. :lol: He's BRILLIANT and I'm NOT being sarcastic. I wish I had his brains!!!!!

OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, on the other hand, managed to homeschool for 9 years, having a son enter public high school qualifying for honors classes (now I KNOW that it was ALL because of him, and my curriculum choices!) and taking the PSAT before his time and scoring so high in English (99th percentile!), that teachers flagged him down to see where he got his English instruction. BTW, he did impressingly well in the other areas and has several college credits through the school. I don't think I failed him, but I doubted I was good enough until PS showed me I was. And I'm now homeschooling again. :001_smile:

This year he's a junior and he's told me the HS classes were far more challenging than PS classes. But that's beside the point!

I got excellent grades in college but had limited classes. I've been told I'm brilliant and think on ALL levels. Not to puff myself up, but to say that supposedly I'm smart even though I didn't graduate college. Which alwys made me look down on myself. Marriage was partially to blame for getting in the way of college, knowing I was secure with dh's salary and we were talking about starting a family.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, *WHY* is it that my BRILLIANT husband struggles to have ANY common sense AT ALL?!!?!!?!!

I try my absolute HARDEST not to get frustrated but it's SO DANG HARD!!! I can give a million examples but I'll limit it to tonight. :tongue_smilie:

We're SO incredibly pressed for time; for many reasons, but Thanksgiving included. He spent the past FIVE HOURS trying to disassemble our VERY WELL built computer cabinet (a luxury years ago and SOLID, SOLID, SOLID!) which is the size of a very large armoire. He did his measurements, which showed me that the large screen tv was not going to fit in it. WRONG. After watching him struggle for FIVE HOURS I said, "Let's just place the tv inside to see how far off we are." Fit like a CHARM.

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

Now, he's BRILLIANT. I honestly have NO REASON to be frustrated. BUT.... I AM. Makes me want to :banghead:

We have SO MUCH TO DO, and DH has finally called it a night. O.M.G.

:chillpill:

He's BEYOND patient with me. He thinks I'm the best thing since sliced cheese. Oh My. I REALLY need to NOT get impatient or upset!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!! Can ANYONE relate?!!?!!?!!

Siiiiiiiigh,

Denise

Weelll, not exactly. I have the privilege of having a hubby who's pretty brilliant (Ph.D and all that), and has a lot of common sense, too.

So it's rare I have any stories to tell, but tell them, I do--because they are so few and far between!

Once, when dh and kids had gone fishing, dh proceeded to pan-fry the fish. As he served it to us, I noticed it still had the guts inside. I asked him if he had cleaned it, and he said, "yeah, I washed it in the sink really well."

HAHAHAHAH! He knew about gutting the fish, he just forgot. I thought it was pretty durned funny.

:lol: :smilielol5:Oh Honey! I've got one of those!! But no one BELIEVES me because of that little common sense snag! (Or those that do believe that he is brilliant wouldn't believe he is so busy w/the rest that he has no time for the common (sense) !)

(Big deep sigh and a :) ) Good to know I am not alone!

Yep. Actually my brilliant husband has quite a lot of common sense, but I know so many very smart people who don't. My smartest brother is the original absent-minded professor; he is very lucky to have a hard-headed wife. In college I knew tons of people who were brilliant but lacked any common sense whatsoever. Happens all the time.

My husband is brilliant because he knows how to measure twice and cut once. :lol::tongue_smilie:

Sorry, don't mean to sound snarky, but my dh does not have a PHD, but could give you the minute details of how to do anything construction related. That is brilliant to me and requires a lot of common sense.

I worked in scientific research for years before children, and there were some real characters there. They received every international award there was, but were constantly losing their belongings and offending people. Some of them had horrific family problems because they just didn't see the need to spend time with their wives, interact with their children, etc.

I moved away and married a guy who went to a vocational high school to be an auto mechanic and then to trade school for commerical power and air conditioning. He's down-to-earth and can fix almost anything. The only time we call a repair person is if it's under warranty or if it's something he truly cannot do because of his physical limitations (i.e. garage door spring replacement, roofing).

Have you ever heard of Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences?

It's pretty powerful stuff - there are different kinds of "smarts": musical, spatial, kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, etc. - and each of us exhibits them to different degrees. Knowing that can be very freeing for me - and very helpful for my kids, who all have different abilities and gifts.

But yes, I can really relate! ;)

Brilliant, engineer dh is successful, good at design and fixing just about anything...

EVEN a beautiful wood stair railing located in our foyer that had become a little wobbly from kid use. His solution? Put BIG, shiny, metal brackets at the base to secure it!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I just couldn't say anything to him, (he's awfully proud to have thought about fixing this without my asking him to:glare:) but I'll vent here..:cursing:

Kim

I'm lucky. My dh is brilliant and has common sense. I have know people though that are really intelligent that seem to lack common sense. I don't know why that is but my guess it is just an individual personality trait. I don't think that a higher intelligence neccessarily equates to any increased loss of common sense. :)

It's not their fault.

They have a deletion on one of their x-chromosomes, making it merely a y-chromosome.

There's really nothing they can do about it. It's a genetic disorder, and you simply have to accept them for who they are. True, they have special needs and challenges, but it does no good to bewail the person they could be if they had a complete set of x-chromosomes.

And there are some positives associated with this chromosomal disorder. You just have to train yourself to see them.

:smilielol5:

Yes, very smart hubby and daughter both lack common sense!

Hubby was valedictorian of our high school class, 4.0 GPA in college, does calculus for fun and is a computer programmer that is asked for by name to complete difficult projects. He too has sworn something would not fit only to discover, after much thought about how to fix it, that indeed it did fit. Now I would have tried it first, but then I don't even know what a calculus problem looks like. :D