Menu

Mums with droopy leaves

Teaching3bears

I bought a healthy pot of mums about 10 days ago.  It rained a lot and then I watered it more and the leaves got droopy.  I thought I had overwatered so I left it a few days and it hasn’t rained but the leaves still look droopy, just more dry.  The flowers are okay so far.  What should I do?  I really want them to live a couple of months.  They are so pretty.  I seem to kill all flower baskets :(

12 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Does the pot have drain holes? If so, the water will run out. If the plants are pot bound you’ll need to repot or water every day because there won’t be enough dirt in the pot to hold the water for very long.

Exactly what I was going to say.......

• Like 1

Now, the flowers are dried up and browning.   :sad:   I thought I might have overwatered but I'm seeing it's the opposite problem.  I did not have time to replant but there are holes in the plastic pot and it is sitting in a deeper ceramic pot.  It will rain again tonight and tomorrow and if that doesn't help I will do what Melissa in Australia suggested and if that doesn't help I will see if I have extra soil.  

Having a droopy plant is enough to make a mom get droopy leaves!  

• Haha 3

On 9/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, SquirrellyMama said:

I did too, and I am in no way British, Canadian, or Australian. I thought it was funny that I went directly to mom mums and not flower mums. 

Kelly

I had to look up the term mum as a flower!  I now understand it as short for Chrysanthemums, but common use of mum for the flower might possibly be regional. wHere I’ve lived they’re called Chrysanthemums.  

My first thought for mum is mother, second would be “mum’s the word”, then I thought maybe it’s like an Egyptian mummy—maybe some SOTW project like mummification of chicken is having troubles,  and finally, when I read OP— oh there’s a flower mum! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pen said:

I had to look up the term mum as a flower!  I now understand it as short for Chrysanthemums, but common use of mum for the flower might possibly be regional. wHere I’ve lived they’re called Chrysanthemums.  

My first thought for mum is mother, second would be “mum’s the word”, then I thought maybe it’s like an Egyptian mummy—maybe some SOTW project like mummification of chicken is having troubles,  and finally, when I read OP— oh there’s a flower mum! 

they are called chrysanthemums here as well, but as my DH is Canadian I understand some of the dialect

On 9/19/2019 at 10:47 AM, goldberry said:

Is it really weird that when I read the title I thought of "moms with saggy bookshelves"??

On 9/19/2019 at 11:03 AM, alisoncooks said:

No. I wondered from the title if it was a euphemism for something. 

My mind went there too!

I was quite disappointed to find out we were talking about flowers.

• Like 1