Menu

did anyone else *not* know...

gardenmom5

brian may - cbe, guitarist for queen - has a phd. in astrophysics?  https://www.nasa.gov/feature/rock-starastrophysicist-dr-brian-may-goes-backstage-with-new-horizons

gives a whole new meaning to a favorite knock off of bohemina rhapsody called "bohemian gravity" - written by a physicist when he was working on his MS.

Edited by gardenmom5
link
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another musician that went in a completely different direction is "Skunk" Baxter who was a member of Steely Dan and then Doobie Brothers.  SInce the mid 80's, he self taught himself physics and other knowledge and has been a missile defense consultant.  This wikipedia page only tells about his missile defense stuff until 2005 but my  dh saw him at a big space and missile defense wargame type thing in 2010 or 2011.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Baxter

I'd heard this, but wasn't sure if it were true. Glad to hear it is. One of my former history professors played in a rock band for a few years. He then went on to get his PhD in History focused on European Military history and Russian history. The local paper just did an article on him about his attendance at Woodstock. 

Embarrassed to ask @gardenmom5, but what is the ‘cbe’ you listed after his name?  I don’t want to put that in my text to ds w/out knowing. This particular ds was just playing Bohemian Rhapsody on our piano after Mass on Sunday.  A real treat...didn’t know he was keeping up with those hard earned skills after 8 years of piano lessons from many years ago!

36 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I did not know that--but I did know that Dexter Holland, lead singer of The Offspring, is a molecular biologist. 🙂 

I knew about Brian May but I don't know how I didn't know about Dexter Holland.  It was fun reading up on that, thank you for informing me.  Apparently, he got his PhD in 2017.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Familia said:

Embarrassed to ask @gardenmom5, but what is the ‘cbe’ you listed after his name?  I don’t want to put that in my text to ds w/out knowing. This particular ds was just playing Bohemian Rhapsody on our piano after Mass on Sunday.  A real treat...didn’t know he was keeping up with those hard earned skills after 8 years of piano lessons from many years ago!

cbe - commander of the order of the british empire.  it's an award and recipients are entitled to use the initials after their name.

I knew a seahawk (dan doornik) - who retired from football, and went to medical school.  (made the local news here when he was doing his obstetrics rotation and delivered a baby.)

and peter weller (admiral marcus from the star trek reboot)  has a phd in Italian renaissance  art history, and was an adjunct professor.  (his classes were considered hard) - which explains all the documentaries on roman/ancient Mediterranean history he'd narrate. (and knew his stuff.) confused me the first couple times I saw him in "engineering an empire".

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew about Brian May (And Roger Taylor starting dentistry school & eventually ending up with a ... was it Biology? Degree?) because of my DH. He also said Mark Knofler (Dire Straits) was a history teacher during the day at the beginning of his career. All I see now is that he was a lecturer at a college. So, who knows.

These are DH-type tidbits at my house.