Menu

What is something you grew up being served that you hate to eat or won't eat?

DawnM

8 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I saw a box at the shops this arvo with jalapeño in it. I thought of you... and definitely didn't buy it. Boxed Mac and cheese can't be improved by bits of jalepeno... I just don't believe in it. 😫

Since we're talking about cheese, I gotta ask. Do any of you people *like* that Monterey Jack stuff? 

I honestly have no idea why my mom even started with the box of mac and cheese now that I see how easy it is to make from scratch.  But it doesn't matter how gourmet it is, I have discovered I just don't like it.  So I have pondered if I never liked it and just ate it because that is what was placed in front of me.  That is a very real possibility--I wasn't a complainer.  Or if my tastes changed and I stopped liking it.  I mean, we ate a lot of fried potatoes and beans and cornbread too and I still LOVE those items.

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I honestly have no idea why my mom even started with the box of mac and cheese now that I see how easy it is to make from scratch.  But it doesn't matter how gourmet it is, I have discovered I just don't like it.  So I have pondered if I never liked it and just ate it because that is what was placed in front of me.  That is a very real possibility--I wasn't a complainer.  Or if my tastes changed and I stopped liking it.  I mean, we ate a lot of fried potatoes and beans and cornbread too and I still LOVE those items.

Agreed!  I hate mac and cheese and I've tried many people's "Amazing Homemade Mac and Cheese."  It's just gross.  And it should only be served with a defibrillator on hand.  Blech!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

😅

ETA: I don't feel like it has any nutritional value whatsoever. I have never made any kind of Jello salad just for us for dinner at home. I have, rarely, made it for large family dinners. And almost all the good Jello salads contain lots of cool whip and fruit and should really be called dessert instead if a side dish/salad.

There are some jello salads that I like, but I do eat them as dessert, after the main meal, even if no one else at the table does.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Corraleno said:

Anyone remember canned "chow mien"? It came in a big can with a little can taped to the top that contained fried noodles. The "chow mien" itself was about 90% celery in a slimy green sauce the color and consistency of snot. It was served over white Minute Rice. Gag.

CHUNG KING!!  This dish was my favorite food until I went off to college. My Chinese roommates took me to Boston's Chinatown and ordered dishes that could only be ordered in Chinese.  With this experience, and the school's dining options , I realized how poor of a cook my mother actually was--- everything cooked to death, and way too salty.  Could barely eat my mother's cooking when I came home 1st summer.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Corraleno said:

Anyone remember canned "chow mien"? It came in a big can with a little can taped to the top that contained fried noodles. The "chow mien" itself was about 90% celery in a slimy green sauce the color and consistency of snot. It was served over white Minute Rice. Gag.

I am embarrassed to admit that I used to make these. DH introduced them to me when we first got married. I don't remember disliking them though. I haven't bought them in over a decade, but I'd like to think my culinary skills have improved and that our palates have been refined enough over the course of our marriage that this canned chow mein would no longer be edible. 😂 (Says the pregnant woman who craves a good bowl of 10 cent Ramen now and then. 😶)

For cooking chow mien 炒面, check the noodles for yellow dye when buying because it’s common to add yellow dye during manufacturing even for egg noodles. Ramen noodles (not the instant noodles) are wheat or  buckwheat and doesn’t have dye added.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Ugh. I forgot about creamed corn. 

I love creamed corn !  Just warmed in a bowl - yum !  I also love canned lima beans and canned butter beans.  Also canned beets, pears, and peaches.  And mandarin oranges.  The worst canned item I can think of is spinach - revolting.  Canned cooked carrots are my second worst. 

On April 22, 2019 at 1:13 PM, Lady Florida. said:

I wonder if I'm the only person in the U.S. whose mother never once made a jello salad. Was it because she was a busy working single mother? She just made plain jello and put it in the fridge. The end. She never, ever put anything in it and only occasionally added whipped cream on top when serving it.  Dh's mother made weird jello salads and we're only 2 years apart, so I don't think it's my age. 

There are two of us...  Mine also, occasionally, popped a bowl of plain jello in the fridge, but we greatly preferred a bowl of plain instant pudding (gag me with a spork, now) and that took even LESS time so she generally went with that.

On April 22, 2019 at 8:59 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Since we're admitting that we like some of these foods I'll admit I like meatloaf and have made it as an adult. My family likes it when I make it. I make my mother's which was done with Italian seasonings. Basically it's a giant Italian meatball but in a loaf shape. 🙂 

Oh look we are actually twins separated at birth!  I make it with a chopped onion, a big glob of jarred minced garlic, and a glob of jarred tomato sauce swished over the top along with a thorough dumping of Italian seasoning. Giant meatball in a loaf shape, exactly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

There are two of us...  Mine also, occasionally, popped a bowl of plain jello in the fridge, but we greatly preferred a bowl of plain instant pudding (gag me with a spork, now) and that took even LESS time so she generally went with that.

Yes to the pudding too. It must have cost more because we had it less often than jello. My mother loved butterscotch while my brother and I preferred chocolate. Gag.

• Like 1

My mom also made hamburger steak type things...with brown gravy.  I had forgotten all about them, and decided to make them the other day. Basically a meatloaf patty.  I made mushroom brown gravy to go on top.  Mashed potatoes.  Green peas.  It was yummy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My mom also made hamburger steak type things...with brown gravy.  I had forgotten all about them, and decided to make them the other day. Basically a meatloaf patty.  I made mushroom brown gravy to go on top.  Mashed potatoes.  Green peas.  It was yummy.

My mom did too, but without any gravy. We put ketchup and mustard on it, and she served it with sliced tomatoes on the side. Basically it was just a hamburger on a plate without the bun. I guess she was ahead of her time though she didn't realize it. People doing low carb diets now order hamburgers without the bun. 🙂 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Janeway said:

A Garden tomato. My mom would bake it with a slice of cheese on top and serve as a meal. Yuck!

I love sliced tomatoes with blue cheese melted on top!  But maybe because my mom didn't come up with it first!

HAHAHAHA!

On 4/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, DawnM said:

I love sliced tomatoes with blue cheese melted on top!  But maybe because my mom didn't come up with it first!

HAHAHAHA!

Was it a garden tomato or some other kind? Because I like some other kinds, but not the garden. And my mom put American cheese on it. Blue cheese on a Roma tomato or similar type tomato would be good I suspect.

48 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Was it a garden tomato or some other kind? Because I like some other kinds, but not the garden. And my mom put American cheese on it. Blue cheese on a Roma tomato or similar type tomato would be good I suspect.

I have done it on garden and roma.  I like them both.

And I hate American cheese on anything.....my mother will eat them straight out of the plastic wrapping as a snack.....BLECH!

Edited by DawnM

I think I must be pretty easy to please: box Mac 'n cheese, canned chow mein, spam, frozen pot pies, etc. I'll eat it -- might not be my preference, but I'll eat it. And I like dessert jello salads/fluffs.

I remember hating hotdogs when I was little (but ended up learning to tolerate them as a high school athlete who grabbed dinner from concession stands). 

Those breaded chicken patties (from frozen). Yuck. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Valley Girl said:

Uh, oh. This thread is making me wonder what MY kids will complain about my having served them.

I already know what my kids complain about...

OMG..mom made us eat vegetables....and fruit! Can you believe it?? and she served us chicken that was not in the form of McNuggets and nasty stuff like roast beef..instead of the burger and fries and I wanted daily. And what happened to good ole' pizza? Why wouldn't we have daily pizza? 

ha ha ha ha....