Menu

What is something you grew up being served that you hate to eat or won't eat?

DawnM

Okay, I'm going to buck the trend and say that one of my FAVORITE childhood holiday dishes was the esteemed "Pink Salad." Raspberry or strawberry jello, mayo, cream cheese, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip, and walnuts, whipped up into a "fluff" and chilled. I still can eat massive quantities of it if I let myself. If I know my mom is going to make it, I'll sometimes pass along some vegan, dye-free gelatin. 

And my grandma's red jello, with mandarin oranges, pineapple, grapes, bananas, and sometimes (I think) mini-marshmallows suspended in it, topped with Cool Whip. Lovely. 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ***** said:

Ha, we used to have that too, I remember that name!  Also known as 'chipped beef', but I wonder to this day what kind of meat it really was, or if it was real at all.  My mom would make it out of 2 small packages and slice it up.  

My mom made chipped beef on toast.  The meat was a stack of slices rolled up in a jar; she cut it into strips with kitchen shears.  The gravy... no idea what it was made of.  I liked chipped beef on toast.  Probably because it was already cooked and thus couldn't be overcooked into dryness.

Patties made from canned salmon. 

Boiled carrots. 

Cottage cheese on iceberg lettuce with some kind of canned fruit. 

Baked beans with biscuits on top. 

Spaghetti with hamburger. 

Waffles with raisins and nuts. 

Banana and iceberg lettuce salad, with mayonnaise as the dressing.  No no no !!!!

1 hour ago, TrixieB said:

My mom made chipped beef on toast.  The meat was a stack of slices rolled up in a jar; she cut it into strips with kitchen shears.  The gravy... no idea what it was made of.  I liked chipped beef on toast.  Probably because it was already cooked and thus couldn't be overcooked into dryness.

I love this when it’s made with leftover turkey and white gravy on toast.  It’s pretty much the only way I like turkey that isn’t in deli meat form. 

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

Okay, I'm going to buck the trend and say that one of my FAVORITE childhood holiday dishes was the esteemed "Pink Salad." Raspberry or strawberry jello, mayo, cream cheese, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip, and walnuts, whipped up into a "fluff" and chilled. I still can eat massive quantities of it if I let myself. If I know my mom is going to make it, I'll sometimes pass along some vegan, dye-free gelatin. 

And my grandma's red jello, with mandarin oranges, pineapple, grapes, bananas, and sometimes (I think) mini-marshmallows suspended in it, topped with Cool Whip. Lovely. 🙂 

My mom makes this with cranberries put through a grinder along with chopped celery, apples and walnuts.  I can not stand the texture.  I like just jello and marshmallows.  I used to help her make it so I could steal a mug of hot liquid strawberry jello with no stuff in it, and melt some marshmallows into it ....  I drank it like cocoa 😂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Anyone remember canned "chow mien"? It came in a big can with a little can taped to the top that contained fried noodles. The "chow mien" itself was about 90% celery in a slimy green sauce the color and consistency of snot. It was served over white Minute Rice. Gag.

I think they still sell that.  You can definitely buy canned chop suey vegetables 😬

TVP is usable if you grind it up very small, soak it in broth, and mix it with a lot of stuff - a little goes a long way in spaghetti sauce or chili.

Otherwise, I must say, it's cardboard. High fiber cardboard, yes, and with lots of protein, but cardboard nonetheless.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tbog said:

My father cared more about alcohol than keeping a job or caring for his kids. Because of that, my mom had to work extra hours and we had to hope that our father would remember to feed us. The usual dinners were frozen pot pies, sausage links and eggs, or ham and bean soup. To this day I can’t eat any of them. I can do homemade pot pie, but the thought of a frozen one...yuck. 

My mother abused prescription drugs and had mental health issues, so we ate a lot of frozen pot pies, TV dinners in foil trays, and boxed mac-and-cheese. I've always stayed far away. We ate a lot of scrambled eggs, but for some reason they never bothered me. 

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

I feel like the theme of this thread is poor quality foods like canned vegetables and convenience foods that were common in the 70s and 80s. And overcooked vegetables. I think convenience foods have improved a lot, and internet access to a billion recipes and their reviews have seriously improved our dinners in America. Because most of these hated foods I don't *think* people eat much anymore.

The first time I made posole DH was rather skeptical because his only experience with hominy was plain. Like straight out of a can. I don't know where she got it or why his mom had it, but she didn't know what to with it. That would definitely scare a kid away from it.

I had exactly this experience. My mom made hominy once in a while, probably for “variety”, but it was poured from a can and warmed up. So yucky! 

I had posole last year; my BIL made it. It was delicious! But I definitely remembered my experience of “hominy” from childhood. 

12 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I think its hilarious that almost every "worst childhood food" list includes some variation of jello salad. My mother's version was shredded red and green cabbage, grated carrots, cucumber chunks (including skin and seeds), and crushed pineapple, in a matrix of lime jello mixed with cole slaw dressing and left to set. The combination of dressing and green jello created a translucent mucus effect. We (kids) called it "Dumpster Wiggle."

Vegetables were almost always canned: lima beans, wax beans, green beans, and, for special occasions, canned asparagus that was cooked into slimy gray mush. The "meat" was worse: lots of frozen "veal cutlets" covered in orange cornflake crumbs and gray "minute steaks" with the texture of shoe leather. If we chewed a piece for more than a few minutes and still couldn't swallow it, we'd discreetly spit it into a napkin and then slip it under the table to the dog. My little brother was always blowing our cover though because he'd take too big of a bite and then the dog would choke on it, so my mom would put the dog out. Then we'd be forced to store any pieces of inedible gristle in our cheeks until we could be excused to go to the bathroom, where we'd spit it in the toilet.

Anyone remember canned "chow mien"? It came in a big can with a little can taped to the top that contained fried noodles. The "chow mien" itself was about 90% celery in a slimy green sauce the color and consistency of snot. It was served over white Minute Rice. Gag.

Dessert, if we had any, was usually canned "fruit cocktail" or canned peaches. My school lunches were usually either jelly sandwiches or lettuce and mayo on white bread, with a thermos full of Kool Aid. So nutritious. 🙄

My mom made this very often and yes, always with Minute Rice. It seems so silly now, but when I was dating dh, I watched his mother make a chicken stir fry not-from-a-LaChoy-can. I was fascinated! It never ocurred to me that one could make a (far superior) homemade version of the “chow mein” my mother had served umpteen times. And with cooked rice! Now, homemade stir fries are a staple in our family dinners, and using those LaChoy cans seems unimaginable. 

I also LOL at “fruit cocktail” and a thermos full of Kool aid! If you got a “cherry” in the fruit cocktail, you were lucky! 

• Like 1

Spaghetti.  I can’t eat it because of reflux, but even if I could, just... no.  We had it 2-3x a week growing up, and I have cleaned up too many toddler “red sauce vomit” sessions for pasta to be appetizing in any way.  Plus, I have one kid that smells like old spaghetti when he’s sick.  I do occasionally let the kids eat it, but I don’t sleep well that night and often wake up multiple times in a panic hearing “phantom gagging”.

I must be the only person in the world who really likes canned green beans.  Definitely better than frozen (rubber, *gag*), and I have trouble chewing fresh ones unless they are cooked into a pulp.  We didn’t have them growing up because my mom hated every vegetable except russet potatoes and iceberg lettuce.

I think it's interesting that a lot of us had mothers who were good cooks, but we just didn't like the food that was popular at the time:  jello salads with weird stuff in them, over-cooked veggies (mostly frozen peas and corn), tuna casserole, etc.   I grew up not enjoying food.  I only ate it because I got hungry and I knew the only thing to satisfy that was to eat.  I didn't learn to actually enjoy food until I hit middle age!  That was when I finally learned different ways of cooking:  fresh vegetables roasted with olive oil; lots of different flavors -- like fresh herbs and fresh-squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest; savory mashed sweet potatoes; meat served in ways other than in casseroles with mushroom soup sauce;  flavorful stews with lots of vegetables and legumes...  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Oh, and I also do butter on a sandwich.  But, only one specific sandwich.  Cold leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich.  And that's the only stuff on it...cold leftover Thanksgiving turkey and butter.  

But, normally, I don't want any sort of condiment on my sandwiches.  No mayo, mustard, dressing, anything.  Even on burgers, I would much rather just have some lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.  

Yes!  And a little salt and pepper. 

I wonder if I'm the only person in the U.S. whose mother never once made a jello salad. Was it because she was a busy working single mother? She just made plain jello and put it in the fridge. The end. She never, ever put anything in it and only occasionally added whipped cream on top when serving it.  Dh's mother made weird jello salads and we're only 2 years apart, so I don't think it's my age. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, Dotwithaperiod said:

My dad gave us creamed corn once while my mom was in the hospital. I threw up at the table.

Ugh. I forgot about creamed corn. Our poor people dinner was something we called "corn on bread", and that's exactly what it was. A slice of white bread (Wonder of course), butter, covered with creamed corn. My brother and I actually loved it and didn't realize it was served because the money was low. Even thinking about it now makes me gag but I'm sure my mother was glad we liked it at the time.

17 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Dessert, if we had any, was usually canned "fruit cocktail" or canned peaches. My school lunches were usually either jelly sandwiches or lettuce and mayo on white bread, with a thermos full of Kool Aid. So nutritious. 🙄

I ate all of those things as a kid and liked them at the time. My brother and I used to fight over who got more juice from the canned peaches or fruit cocktail.  It was only in adulthood that I realized how yucky they were and wouldn't touch them (and certainly not serve them to my family) now. 

I have to say that most of these hated foods sound pretty awful. But should I be embarrassed to admit that I have had a lot of Jello salads that were actually really good? I have heard that Utah is the Jello capital of the US. Maybe Mormons just know how to do Jello salads better than others? 😊(Disclaimer: I am not from Utah, but I am LDS.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TrixieB said:

Oh gosh!  I was taught how to make this in 7th grade home ec class.  It was my mother's favorite dish for a while because it meant I could make it!  It was made with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Beef-Dried-Sliced-2-5/dp/B00CHTSEZA/ref=asc_df_B00CHTSEZA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242041040570&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12749968776374724044&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009968&hvtargid=pla-664834801831&psc=1

I haven 't thought about that in YEARS.

13 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I have to say that most of these hated foods sound pretty awful. But should I be embarrassed to admit that I have had a lot of Jello salads that were actually really good? I have heard that Utah is the Jello capital of the US. Maybe Mormons just know how to do Jello salads better than others? 😊(Disclaimer: I am not from Utah, but I am LDS.)

It has jello, that is all I need to know.  Blech!

Canned peas. My kids like them, so I serve them, but I don’t eat them.

Bland Mexican-style casserole. I can’t even remember exactly what was in it.

any sandwich on store bought white bread. Even as a kid I’d beg her to buy wheat bread but my dad didn’t like it.

Fried bologna. To be fair, even my mom didn’t like this. But my dad took it in his lunches sometimes, and if I was going with him, so did I.

Bologna of any kind.

Grilled cheese made with velveeta. As a kid I preferred it to cheddar, so mom made it, but now I wouldn’t eat it. I had bad taste as a child, what can I say.

my mom is not a bad cook. But my dad has very bland and unadventurous taste, and she cooked to suit him. Now, a family friend is a bad and unenthusiastic cook. She served her kids what she called “chicken goop”, which was chicken cooked in stewed tomatoes served over white bread. I know her son won’t ever eat that again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

It has jello, that is all I need to know.  Blech!

😅 

ETA: I don't feel like it has any nutritional value whatsoever. I have never made any kind of Jello salad just for us for dinner at home. I have, rarely, made it for large family dinners. And almost all the good Jello salads contain lots of cool whip and fruit and should really be called dessert instead if a side dish/salad.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ***** said:

City chicken anyone?  Again, what kind of meat was that?  It was on a popsicle stick!

Yes, city chicken! Ugh! My mom served it as a “treat”.  No one else seems to remember City chicken.

Overall my mom was a pretty good cook.  She avoided most convenience foods popular at the time.  There are things she made that I wouldn’t cook now, but they weren’t bad.  One of her side dishes was a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of water, and a can of Minute rice baked until soft.  It was a bit mushy but not bad, but I can’t even imagine making it for my kids.  Times and tastes change.

Fortunately no one ever subjected me to jello salad with any kind of vegetable or dressing in it.  *shudder* I saw them at potlucks but no one in my family made them.

9 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

My grandmother wasn't LDS,  but her Jello Party Salad from a 1950s ladies' magazine was legendary.  It's affectionately known as "Green Stuff." The mix of green jello, cream cheese and pineapple bits is so good my family members still demand it at every holiday meal.  When they moved out of their house my brother and I spent an solid hour and a half trying to find the original recipe (I had scrawled on it with a pen as a toddler) so my brother could frame it and put it on his wall. Grandmother had it memorized so it wasn't easy to find. When it was time to divide up their stuff the grandkids were asked what they wanted.  I wanted their nativity set of olive wood they bought in Israel and the rocking chair they bought when my mother was born. Forget the silver, I don't need another chore.  My brother wanted the original jello mold pan she used for the jello salad.  My mother decided to update the recipe with cherries on top which  has created a divide between the jello traditionalists and jello progressives within the family. The debate rages on every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduation....

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, ***** said:

18 hours ago, ***** said:

City chicken anyone?  Again, what kind of meat was that?  It was on a popsicle stick!

I'm fairly certain city chicken is pork.  We ate it when I was growing up.  It was reserved for special occasions...lol!

Tuna tetrazzini ... YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!!!

It was canned tuna, overcooked spaghetti noodles, canned sliced green olives mixed and an unbelievable amount of cream of mushroom soup dumped into a casserole dish and baked.

Everyone in the entire extended family raved about it.  Extras were always made so that everyone could have leftovers to take with them to eat during the week.  Did I mention, "Yuck!"?  Well, it isn't any better the following days either!

Also on my list is sauerkraut.  Not only won't I make it, I will not allow it in my house.  Relatives have tested me on this rule, but I will not waiver.  They must leave it in their vehicle.  The mere smell will have me heaving for hours.  

I love "Green Stuff."

I love cranberry-sauce-in-a-can, lines and all.

I have never met a grilled cheese sandwich or a form of mac and cheese I didn't like.

I think I am not a very sophisticated eater--or maybe I'm just a true child of the 70's. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mac and Cheese out of a box is a travesty, but real Mac and Cheese? What's not to love about fat and carbs? ❤️❤️❤️
I was talking to the guy at the French cheese shop the other month and he said he throws whatever odds and ends they have left over cheese, of left over EXPENSIVE, FRENCH CHEESE into his Mac and Cheese.  I was overwhelmed by the poshness of this. :svengo:

Those little round green balls.

I made my son try limas once.  He threw them up all over his plate.  He's thirty now and he and his family eat with us about twice a week at least.  I think I'll try them again and see if I get a repeat performance.

ETA- BRUSSEL SPROUTS.  Brussel sprouts.

Edited by MaBelle
  • Haha 1

Butter and mayo are great together for grilled cheese sandwiches!

Hamburger Mac- like hamburger helper?

Canned peas, got to get the expensive Le Seuer for them to taste good.

Canned corn- only shoe peg or white, and needs lots of nursing.

Potato soup is an art.

Salmon patties!  I LOVE salmon patties.  People, really !

Green beans-  CANNED  Cook all day in chicken broth, a little bit of bacon grease and perhaps some garlic.  

Junie- your stepmother needs a beating.

What the hell is Weetbix????

LMAO.

Just now, Corraleno said:

British breakfast cereal. For some reason they're always shown whole, as if you'd eat them that way, but most people crumble them up in milk. They're very bland.

1810479924_ScreenShot2019-04-22at5_37_00PM.png.3addc6871cc272b05d7fa4843f3aaa6b.png

OMGoodness.  Looks a bit like McDonald's breakfast potato thingies.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, DawnM said:

My mom was not a great cook.   And she sometimes liked to try those nasty things posted in Good Housekeeping like pimento loaf stuff......

But the thing she ALWAYS made for holidays, including Easter, was jello salad with all kinds of nasty stuff in it......cottage cheese, pineapple, cherries, etc.....

I won't eat jello to this day.  I will ONLY eat it if I am in the hospital on a liquid diet and that is all I can have, and even then, I gag a bit.  But add in gross stuff and 🤮

You?

My mom makes an orange jello salad with cottage cheese and jello powder (no actual set jello involved) and I think coconut and canned mandarin oranges and marshmallows. Everyone loves it except me. But then I can't stand cottage cheese at all. Now that my sisters have taken over doing most of the cooking at Thanksgiving, they still ask her to make this stuff! She doesn't make it any other time, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Since we're admitting that we like some of these foods I'll admit I like meatloaf and have made it as an adult. My family likes it when I make it. I make my mother's which was done with Italian seasonings. Basically it's a giant Italian meatball but in a loaf shape. 🙂 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

Junie- your stepmother needs a beating.

She was the stereotypical evil stepmother.  She passed away a long time ago.  I know you're not really supposed to speak ill of the dead, but I honestly have zero good memories with her.

My sister and I couldn't beat her, but we could sweet talk her into riding the double ferris wheel at Hershey Park with us.  "It doesn't go very fast.  It's not really that high and we would never, ever spin it."

Yeah, we were liars and we were obnoxious.

I take it back.  I have one good memory of my stepmother.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Junie said:

She was the stereotypical evil stepmother.  She passed away a long time ago.  I know you're not really supposed to speak ill of the dead, but I honestly have zero good memories with her.

My sister and I couldn't beat her, but we could sweet talk her into riding the double ferris wheel at Hershey Park with us.  "It doesn't go very fast.  It's not really that high and we would never, ever spin it."

Yeah, we were liars and we were obnoxious.

I take it back.  I have one good memory of my stepmother.

I have a stepmother.  She's my freakin age.

Keep your enemies close.......

Edited by MaBelle

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

British breakfast cereal. For some reason they're always shown whole, as if you'd eat them that way, but most people crumble them up in milk. They're very bland.

1810479924_ScreenShot2019-04-22at5_37_00PM.png.3addc6871cc272b05d7fa4843f3aaa6b.png

We could get two kinds of cereal in the area where I grew up Weetabix and Corn Flakes.  That was IT.

When I came back to the US for college, I went to the grocery store for cereal and was overwhelmed by an entire isle of cereal choices.  I ended up at the end of the isle and saw Weetabix!  I bought that because it was familiar.  

But I love weetabix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Mac and Cheese out of a box is a travesty, but real Mac and Cheese? What's not to love about fat and carbs? ❤️❤️❤️
I was talking to the guy at the French cheese shop the other month and he said he throws whatever odds and ends they have left over cheese, of left over EXPENSIVE, FRENCH CHEESE into his Mac and Cheese.  I was overwhelmed by the poshness of this. :svengo:

My mom took the box of Mac and cheese and added to it.....and I ate it.  Never really thought about whether I liked it or not.  Got married, cooked it for my husband,  one day it occurred to me,  ‘I don’t like this.  Not going to make it again. ‘  and i didn’t 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My mom took the box of Mac and cheese and added to it.....and I ate it.  Never really thought about whether I liked it or not.  Got married, cooked it for my husband,  one day it occurred to me,  ‘I don’t like this.  Not going to make it again. ‘  and i didn’t 

I saw a box at the shops this arvo with jalapeño in it. I thought of you... and definitely didn't buy it. Boxed Mac and cheese can't be improved by bits of jalepeno... I just don't believe in it. 😫

Since we're talking about cheese, I gotta ask. Do any of you people *like* that Monterey Jack stuff? 

Monterery Jack cheese is very good when mixed in with other cheese for something where you want it to melt nicely. When I make macaroni and cheese I do a simple 2:2:1 ratio of MJ, cheddar, and cream cheese, or when I make quesadillas I do half and half with cheddar.

But it's possible that what you get in Australia is not what we produce over here in the US.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I saw a box at the shops this arvo with jalapeño in it. I thought of you... and definitely didn't buy it. Boxed Mac and cheese can't be improved by bits of jalepeno... I just don't believe in it. 😫

Since we're talking about cheese, I gotta ask. Do any of you people *like* that Monterey Jack stuff? 

It isn’t my favorite but it is ok.