Menu

Has anyone "bought back" their own totaled vehicle?

AFwife Claire

We have a 2007 Toyota Sienna (an 8-seater) that I absolutely love driving.  It has 175,000 miles on it, but we've had no problems with it.  Wait--we had to replace a water pump maybe 3 years ago,  

On Dec. 21, my newly-permitted 15 year old ds was driving with my dh, and a girl rear-ended him (he was stopped at a traffic light) because her brakes failed.  She probably was going 35 mph, and because she realized she wasn't stopping, she turned her jeep to the side, but she couldn't avoid hitting the minivan.  So now there's a "v" in the back hatch door and bumper, so the hatch doesn't open, but that's the only damage.

It took forever to get the insurance claim going for weird reasons all involving her, but finally her insurance decided to total our van, saying it was only worth $4300, and repairs would cost $3500.  My dh really spent many hours trying to understand how they got their figures, and fighting them, and finally they agreed to pay us I think $5700, so his hard work was not in vain.  

BUT I really don't want to give up this van.  We have lots of kids, and we need cheap, reliable vehicles, not new, expensive-to-insure ones.  The damage is only cosmetic, so now, thanks to Janeway's thread, we have been talking about what if we "bought back" the car from them (which burns my grits to even say) and had it repaired and inspected.  I know we would have a salvage title.  Does the inspector even care if we fix the back at all, since it's not a safety/road-worthiness issue if the hatch doesn't open?  I know insurance will take $1600 off the price, because that's what they say it is worth for salvage (although junk yards laughed at that amount when dh called them directly and asked . . .).

I guess I'm just trying to see if people think we're crazy for even thinking about such a thing.  The Sienna has been such a great car.  We have an 8-seat 2015 Honda Odyssey, but I definitely do not like that car as much as I like this Sienna.  I can't believe Toyota did such a moronic redesign so that their "8th seat" no longer really is one (or at least wasn't when we looked back in 2015).  We really can't replace this van with one like it.  We still have a lot of years transporting a lot of people plus a big dog, so I like having lots of seat options.  And this van we know is reliable, unlike some used one we pick up (costing way more than what the insurance will give us, grrr) at a used car dealer.  Sigh.  I hate insurance companies.  This is such a scam.  I wish they would just write us a little check.  

Dh's car was flooded once, and the insurance company totaled it.  We "bought it back", they cut us a check (probably for whatever the settlement value was minus the salvage value), and then it was on a salvage title, which meant there was no resale value.  Also it meant that insurance was liability only.  But we used the money to fix the car and drove it for 3-4 more years, until my parents gave us their old car, and then we donated it.

One of our cars was just considered totaled and I didn’t have to “buy back” anything, we just kept the car?   

If you’re certain it’s only cosmetic damage, and you like the car, I vote keep it. In our state, the “salvage” can be removed from the title if we have an inspection done by the dmv and they deem it was/is cosmetic damage only.   

Ps: they should be giving you the name and phone number of who provided that salvage quote

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 1

Years ago DH totaled our Geo Prizm. I think the only damage was to the front bumper. I don't remember the details of how he bought it back, but I know it had a salvage title on it. DH replaced the bumper with something from a salvage yard and we drove it for many more years.

Edited by DesertBlossom

Yes, it can be a NIGHTMARE in a high-regulation inspection state. But if you don't have fussy / annual / highly-regulated inspection laws, I'd definitely get the advice of a local mechanic & do exactly what you're describing. We live on the border of a nightmare state, and some close friends are having quite a time of it in a similar situation (common sense does NOT apply, and yes, the repairs are only cosmetic; it's ridiculous).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

Years ago DH totaled our Geo Prizm. I think the only damage was to the front bumper. I don't remember the details of how he bought it back, but I know it had a salvage title on it. DH replaced the bumper with something from a salvage yard and we drove it for many more years.

I totaled my Geo Prism in 2006. My parents bought it back and had it fixed. (And it was quite damaged.) I drove that car for 10 more years, until I had DD in 2006, and I wanted a minivan. No issues with inspection or insurance in my area. 

We did, it was a very old car that we knew really well.  The salvage value is negotiable--I'd sic your husband on them if you decide to go that way.

We got a salvage title but we didn't care.  We tend to drive our cars right into the ground anyway so resale value didn't matter at all.  

This bought us time to find a better used car at leisure, something that always takes us a while.

a car would be declared totaled because it would cost more to fix it than it's market value.

my mother kept the car, and took the settlement - mechanically it was fine, the frame was fine but there were minor dents all over, molding missing, not pretty etc...I finally took it away from her, and 1dd drove it for awhile.  I sold it.

our neighbor owns a body shop, and has said it wouldn't be a big deal to fix dd's car.  new trunk lid (which should be easy to find at a junk yard - then paint it.), and replace the bumper.  but it's a 97, and not worth much.  now - the guys insurance is finally coming out to look at it.

Edited by gardenmom5
spelling

Yes, I bought back my 2002 Honda Accord, which was in excellent condition inside and out. The person did a hit and run, while it was parked in our culdesac. Because of the year and miles, 140,000, USAA totaled it😞 I took the money they paid me and got it fixed. I even made money out of the deal😊 It was registered in TN because that was hubby’s home of record in the military. I was told that I didn’t have to get a salvaged title. I drove it for another 20,000 miles. I sold it because it needed a new clutch and another costly repair. The parts weren’t that expensive but the labor🙄. Anyway, I sold it for $800 to a do it yourself mechanic. I did truth in advertising and told him about the potential problem he may have with the title. I loved that car and still miss it😕

Yes, I would do that if you know what to expect with the inspection and insurance later.  Here, the inspection is by the police to insure you have receipts for any replaced parts, so you're not operating a chop shop with stolen cars/parts.  Also that the car is roadworthy, exhaust is intact etc.  The insurance here would be liability only on  a salvage title, and the resale value difference for a 2007 minivan is so small, why would it matter in your decision?  It's not like you're buying a late model car that you NEED to finance and have comprehensive insurance on. 

I would try to find a smaller local body shop and at least get an estimate on getting the back door to open, that would be a hassle to me to be without the back door.