Menu

Historical Fiction....Your Favorite Authors

Hello, everyone.

I love...love...love historical fiction. I've finished all of Phillippa Gregory's books and I'm working on Elizabeth Chadwick now.

I'm making a list of books I want to read next. So who are your favorite historical fiction authors? (Time period doesn't matter.)

Blessings,

Andrea

Patrick O'Brian

Simon Scarrow

Anne Perry

Jean M. Auel

Elizabeth Peters

I am all over the place in my time periods and genres (some of the above are dramatic - some comic/detective!, and from prehistoric times to Roman era to Napoleonic Wars to Victorian times and even Egypt 100 years ago or so. :-)

If you want to go just 80 years or so ago in rural England try the books by Miss Read.

I absolutely LOVE books by Anya Seton. She wrote one called The Winthrop Woman and it is fabulous. She used the actual historical accounts as the spine for her story, so it is very accurate as to dates, who married who, what children each person had, etc. but she fills in the story. I just finished one she wrote called The Eagle and the Hearth about the history of Marblehead, MA. She started the story when she was researching her own family history. The characters are fictitious, but the events are real. Her books are just great!

George MacDonald Frasier - Flashman Series (not for children as there is some small degree of raunch, but fantastic series about a British Officer during the Victorian Era)

Forester - Hornblower

Sharon Kay Penman - As close to actual history as you can get while still remaining "fiction"

Wilbur Smith - Africa

Dorothy Dunnett and Alan Furst are among my favorites. Dunnet's books on 15th and 16th century Europe (the Lymond Chronicles and the House of Niccolo) are probably the best historical fiction one can find. I encourage you to buy the handbooks that go with the series to explain the nuances.

Alan Furst writes espionage books which take place during WWII. They are not set on the battlefields but in Paris, Warsaw, wherever the spies have gathered. Tremendous window into the backdrop of the war!

Jane

Hands down, this is my favorite historical romance author.

I found most of her books at second hand stores, but they are now being reprinted. They are worth the hassle to find.

They are about Regency England, not sexual but highly romantic. I'd hand them to my teen in a flash, too.