Menu

What are your favorite Wii games?

Last Christmas we did the family gift of the Wii for Christmas so for this year we've decided to purchase several games. We have Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Carnival right now. (Oh, and my son has Wii 2008 MLB).

We're thinking of purchasing Wii Music and maybe Mario Cart? Any reviews or other suggestions?

You can see from my sig line that we have a wide range of ages to please.

Thanks

After being a 'non-electronic game' family, we just got a Wii. We prefer to not use the popular gameboy, playstation type games, but rather sports, etc.

The games that have really been a hit with myself (grin), and my 7 and up crowd, believe it or not, are: Trophy Bucks, Big Game Hunter, and the just out Dangerous Hunts. I do not hunt, never have, never will...but I'm addicted. :lol: (these are put out by Cabella's)

Now my dd10 prefers the party games and wii sports games.

Caution about Dangerous Hunts: there is some 'language'. sigh

Thanks for all the ideas - I'm almost afraid to suggest the hunting ones - I have a bunch of boys that run around the house "shooting" at anything and everything with anything that remotely looks like a gun - - but they would probably enjoy it.

No reviews on Wii Music? Hmmm. . . I wondered if it was actually as fun as the commercials make it seem or if it gets boring quickly.

We got Wii Fit 2 days ago and it is a smash hit at our house!

I agree with the other poster about the games you don't have to get up and move to play. I bought Wii Indiana Jones Lego's and was disappointed that you sit to play. I was expecting to move around like in Wii Sports.

With Wii Fit, you MOVE!

My ds(15) and ds(8) love Super Smash Brothers and all my kids love Animal Crossing.

Your 4yo can play Animal Crossing? I have a 3yo, fixing to be 4yo, that I would love to find something non-competitive that she would be able to play. She does a decent job at bowling and golf on Wii Sports, but she is discouraged by losing all the time (even though she has fun).

We rented Mario/Sonic at the Olympic Games, but it was really difficult for all of us.

My 6yo and I love Mario Kart, but my DH doesn't care for it. The 4yo likes it, but it is too hard for her as well. She gets turned around going the wrong way or stuck in a wall a lot.

Animal Crossing and there's one where you knock down blocks. I can't think of the name, but it's very strategic and takes some concentration.
Boom Blox? If so, it's also a big hit here. It's more difficult than you might think.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry I can't give you a review for Wii Music because it is wrapped and under the tree. I also purchased extra remotes and nunchuccks so four kids (or kids at heart) play at the same time. After trying it once at a friends I am sure it will be a big hit.

Mario Carts is an my dc's (and dh) favorite game. I had no idea it would be so popular.

We LOVE Wii fit - I have the kids use it on rainy days for "PE". I also just bought My word coach (under $15) and will have them do that over break. They also like Mario and the Olympic games - gets them up and moving. My girls like the singing games. I stink at all the games, I can't use wii fit because I have had ankle surgery, but I can't wait to use it.

Merry Christmas

• 1 year later...

I really love Dance Dance Revolution. It's great fun and heart-pounding exercise, and the challenges really feed my competitive side.

My daughter's Girl Scout troop had a Wii dance party using the game Just Dance Kids. I was very impressed. The kids all had a blast, the music was appropriate (including options for little kids, like The Wheels on the Bus, along with kiddified versions of pop songs), and the whole-body moves took less precision than using the DDR dance mat, which my 5yo has trouble with.

Here's a Wii Music review!

I really like it as an adult/parent. I think I has something to teach kids who are not really musically inclined (rhythm, different types of instruments.) I like the choice of songs. I really like playing it myself.

My daughter was 4 when we got it, and while she liked "playing" it, most of it was over her head and she didn't understand how to hit the notes on time - she also liked to play the "silly" instruments like the dog barking or the cheerleader. She didn't recognize many songs and just preferred to replay Twinkle, Twinkle over and over. In the end, I think she grew bored - she's just not musically inclined AT ALL.

I hope at some point now that Boo's 6, that we can revisit and she actually get something out of it. Actually I think there are several games we need to revisit now that she's a little older.

My daughter really likes to play bowling and baseball on the Wii Sports, and darts on Wii Party. We got Disney Dance Dance Revolution for her 5th birthday and she thought it was too hard. I really like Boom Blox, but we have trouble with the game working properly. She likes to skate and curling in Mario and Sonic's Winter Olympics - other events are too hard for her.

On my wish list: Dance on Broadway (it's like Just Dance - no need for dance pad), New Super Mario Bros., Disney Guilty Party, and Epic Mickey.

We enjoy many of the ones already mentioned, but thought I'd add to the list by mentioning that we love any of the rayman raving rabbids games - you can get some of the older ones pretty cheap, and they are awesome. We also ADORE both of the Just Dance games..I'm looking at the newest Rayman game and the Dance on Broadway for holiday gifts this year...