Menu

thx.

Chris in VA

I'd maybe talk to her about how we learn from every relationship, and she owes it to herself to spend some time thinking about what lessons she learned, and how she will do things differently, before moving into the next relationship not because this isn't a good guy, but because it will probably distract her from taking time to figure out what she learned from the last guy. But in general, I think it's fine. Especially if they were already friends. Depending on how serious the last relationship was, what happened, etc I might suggest talking over the breakup with a counselor. She could do that even while starting to see the new guy. 

It's the self reflection that makes the difference between those that have multiple failed relationships and those that learn and move into a better type of relationship with a better class of guy, in my experience. 

• Like 3

to answer--

Yes he is interested. She told me she wants to date him. They have talked about it. They have been friends all school year. Yes, I am afraid she will be attached. Thank you for helping me think abut why I think a person should wait after a break up. She said last week it would be a mistake and she wants to work on herself  Now that has changed. She will see him every day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I'd maybe talk to her about how we learn from every relationship, and she owes it to herself to spend some time thinking about what lessons she learned, and how she will do things differently, before moving into the next relationship not because this isn't a good guy, but because it will probably distract her from taking time to figure out what she learned from the last guy. But in general, I think it's fine. Especially if they were already friends. Depending on how serious the last relationship was, what happened, etc I might suggest talking over the breakup with a counselor. She could do that even while starting to see the new guy. 

It's the self reflection that makes the difference between those that have multiple failed relationships and those that learn and move into a better type of relationship with a better class of guy, in my 

Edited by Chris in VA

10 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I think rebound relationships are totally a normal part of the learning process of dating that young adults work though.  So, if she wants to go out with him, then I think that's fine.

I will say....I met DH as a "rebound."  But..sort of not.  I was actually pretty angry and over dating when the previous relationship ended.  And honestly, I only went out with DH because I had nothing better to do.  I was planning to NOT be in a relationship, and rather, just wanted something super casual.  Obviously, that evolved, but initially, I was eyes wide open, nothing serious, no RELATIONSHIP, 

Edited by Chris in VA

Is it rebound for her?  If she did the breaking up with so and had been planning on that awhile then she’s not a jilted person looking for anyone who she can rebound to.

Does she need alone time?

Maybe all she needs is to find a way to make this next relationship less dramatic and less “too much” and a break between the two may not achieve that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

So why are rebounds bad? 

I think it is because they are misleading; someone isn't really as available as they are making themselves out to be.

That said, as the one who broke off the relationship, she's further ahead with whatever internal resolutions she needs to make than if she'd been on the receiving end.

Is she typically attracted to unhealthy relationships?   In general I think it’s fine.  Even if she never suggested she was interested in this  guy, she may have been thinking about it for a while. If I were going to say anything I might ask supportive questions and remind of the focus of getting an education.   I th8ni it’s nice she has open lines of communication with you about this.   I sure didn’t at this age.  I dated a lot of people as a young adult.  I grew a lot.  Parts were hard, but I have no regrets.  

• Like 1

Eh, she's 18. It's not unusual for young people to not take a long break before dating someone else. At that age, I certainly was not pondering every breakup or spending much time reflecting on lessons learned. Yeah, it's fast, but that's what you do when you're young - you move fast. And even though she was in a long-term relationship, she was very very young when it started and very young when it ended. I don't think it's the same thing as being in a serious relationship from 25 to 28, kwim? She may need another 'point of comparison' before she can even reflect meaningfully on ex. 

My advice would probably just be to practice the introductions. Because my dd dated someone new very quickly after breaking up with someone else, and introduced him to dh by the ex's name, lol  😂

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Is she typically attracted to unhealthy relationships?   

She started dating the ex at 15, so I don't think she has enough data points for 'typical.' 

Edited by katilac

I like the idea of asking questions rather than offering advice. 

Anecdotally, at 19 my sister broke up with a boyfriend of 3 years and then quickly started up with a guy she had been friendly with on her dorm floor. They’re in Jamaica right now celebrating their 20th anniversary. Sometimes it works out.

What on on earth is this HUGE face doing on my post? I’m so sorry, everyone  🙂

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, katilac said:

She started dating the ex at 15, so I don't think she has enough data points for 'typical.' 

I think even unhealthy friendships can be telling.  I knew a number of young woman that just seemed to crave drama and tended to get very overly attached to their friends and boyfriends in their life at that age. I think probably at the root of some of that was some depression and anxiety that needed some real help.   But if she generally has a strong sense of self, a decent amount of independence and healthy relationships with family and friends, she probably is fine.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I was 20 when I met dh and it was the day after I broke up with my boyfriend. We started dating right away and almost everyone that knew me thought it was awful. We celebrate 22 years married this year though. So, I obviously don't think rebound relationships are all that bad.

• Like 1