Menu

movies that count as school?

I have the Februaries.  If the next couple school days can consist of things that count as "school" but don't require me to do much of anything, and are not messy, I just might recover.  Movies sound like a good idea, but I can't think of anything educational but Magic School Bus.  We have Netflix and Amazon Prime.  My school-age kids are mostly elementary age boys.  Open to non-movie suggestions too as long as they are not messy or mom-intensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caedmyn said:

I have the Februaries.  If the next couple school days can consist of things that count as "school" but don't require me to do much of anything, and are not messy, I just might recover.  Movies sound like a good idea, but I can't think of anything educational but Magic School Bus.  We have Netflix and Amazon Prime.  My school-age kids are mostly elementary age boys.  Open to non-movie suggestions too as long as they are not messy or mom-intensive.

Everything counts as school. Seriously.

Movies with a somewhat historical theme include the National Treasure movies and the Night in the Museum movies. 

• Like 5

• Movie adaptations of books they/you read
  • NOVA
  • Classic children's movies and cartoons (American Culture)
  • Horrible Histories
  • Animated Shakespeare
  • The Way Things Work 
  • America: The Story of US [6th grader and maybe 3rd grader, available on Amazon Prime]
  • Storybook Treasures 
  • The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That
  • Sid The Science Kid
  • How'd They Build That
  • The Story of the Orchestra
  • Schoolhouse Rock
  • Like 2

I've kind of had a "Thing" the last couple years. I call it American Cultural Studies and from time to time I show my kids movies that "everyone" needs to have seen to be culturally literate.  Here are some that have been on my list....

Sound of Music, Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, ET, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Jaws, Princess Bride.... you get the picture.  I've selected these movies from movie lists, my own experience, when I come across quotes or one-liners that reference movies, etc. I don't have it particularly organized, but there are days when.... so I'll go on-line and find some movie lists and if one catches my fancy I will show it to my kids.  Some I'm waiting for them to get a little older to show..... like classic Hitchcock.

• Like 9

Love KrissiK's movie literacy idea!

Also love Sherry in OH's video list -- adding a few more video series:
Cyber Chase (math)
Square One (math)
Liberty's Kids (American History)
Nest Family videos (biographies of famous people)
Schlessinger Media videos (history and science)
PBS Zoom (kids doing things)
Building Big (David Macauley engineering series)

Teach With Movies -- you might try mining their movie lists and occasionally do a related activity/lesson plan. There is a clickable button that says "AGE" that brings up movies suitable for that age -- here is the list for 8yo -- which looks like it hits right between your 7yo and 9yo elementary aged boys.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Popular Mechanics for kids my Kinder loves those.

What about classic books that were made into movies?  Have them read (or  listen to) the book and see the movie and compare. Like "The Chronicles of Naria". 

Scishow Kids and Dr. Binocs on YouTube are good.

Mr. Demaio's YouTube channel is funny. He is a 3rd grade teacher that uses these videos to help the kids learn different things.

Carmen Sandiego. My 9 year old likes & learns from it (esp. if I follow up certain things when they come up in real life). Also, I 2nd or 3rd Night at Museum--that series has provide lots of fodder for additional learning. National Treasure too. In fact, I referenced it just today when reading about Archimedes & his time in Alexandria (Alexandria scrolls were mentioned in movie & that was the only 'hook' she had to bridge into Archimedes' material, LOL--whatever works, right?). Watch TedEd Talks too. 

Well as evidence that everything is educational, dd told me just the other day that she learned bananas are high in potassium from Honey We Shrunk Ourselves. 🙄 

Most of my list would be repeats of things already mentioned but one that I didn't see that we really enjoyed is the Brain Child series on Netflix. It sparked a lot of good conversations and ideas for my kids.

We just watched the sequel to An Inconvenient Truth on Amazon Prime.

Currently in our Netflix list (we’ve watched some, and some we still need to get around to):

• Bill Nye
  • Life
  • Planet Earth
  • Blue Planet
  • Frozen Planet
  • Kevin Hart’s Black History
  • The Breadwinner
  • Natire’s Great Events
  • Walt Disney Short Films Collection
  • Chasing Coral
  • Jeopardy
  • Being Elmo
  • Life Story
  • Encounters at the End of the World
  • brainchild
  • Carmen Sandiego
  • Dolphins: Spy in the Pod
  • A Plastic Ocean
  • Lions: Spy in the Den
  • Edge Of the Universe

On 2/12/2019 at 9:49 PM, Bluegoat said:

I like to look at the National Film Board of Canada.  There are lots of films, animation, shorts, history, culture.  Some of them are old - there is a nice one about the INuit that was filmed in the 1950s.  

Another my kids love is The Log Driver's Waltz.

We love that one here.  (And not just the kids; we played it at our wedding)

The NFB site has tons of excellent content for kids, all free to access.   Paddle to the Sea, The  Sweater, The Cat Came Back, Ti-Jean Goes Lumbering etc

• Like 2

We just watched the Martian and it prompted a long conversation about a variety of topics- Is The Martian based in reality, is it Sci-FI, what programs are Nasa working on that were in the film, what are the implications of colonizing another planet. I honestly couldn't believe how much the kids talked about this movie! 

We are doing a study of humor.  So have watched TV shows like Gilligan's Island and movies like Galaxy Quest. As far as I'm concerned, ALL movies can count as school if you discuss the characterization, themes, settings, etc.  For us, we ask, why was that funny?  What would happen if xxx character was not on the show?  What kind of humor is this - farce, slapstick, satire, parody, etc.  How can we tell?  How does this movie compare to others? Why was this funny for the era?  Why is it not funny now?  etc. 

So much fun in movies.  Snuggle up on a sofa and enjoy your child!

Ruth in NZ

ETA: we are currently off our humor topic and watching Downton Abbey.  And DS saw something I never had.  Have you ever wondered about the dog in the beginning?  My son said the dog is loyal to Lord Grantham, just as Lord Grantham is loyal to Downton Abbey which is pictured behind him in the frame.  LOVE IT!  So I will put discussing symbolism on the above list as well. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1